Muscle loss while cutting

j05441

Awards
Does anyone else believe this is so bogus?
Not counting people who are sub 8
But a PROPER diet, i dont think you should lose muscle or strength
Unless your already cut or doing it way to fast

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
I think if you cut properly then it's bogus. BUT people who try to lose weight too quickly will more than likely lose muscle mass. If you follow a slow steady weightloss plan with high protein and a modest caloric deficit you won't waste that precious muscle.

j05441

Awards
Last time i ran a natty cut i lost 15 lbs over 3 months and got way stronger
Key word proper

newbreed

Awards
Depends how the individuals diet is and how their recovery is. I always supplement with BCAAs to be safe. They could help nicely with preserving muscle mass while on a cut.

TexasGuy

Awards
In the scenario outlined in the OP, you shouldn't lose muscle or strength. You may lose energy on a caloric and consequently nutrient deficit which could be interpreted as a loss of strength when you get tired sooner than usual but your 1 rep maxes shouldn't actually drop.

j05441

Awards
In the scenario outlined in the OP, you shouldn't lose muscle or strength. You may lose energy on a caloric and consequently nutrient deficit which could be interpreted as a loss of strength when you get tired sooner than usual but your 1 rep maxes shouldn't actually drop.
Agreed. When cutting i get on beta aline argline and other NO products as well as caffinee. Its just annoying to hear kids bitch and moan they lose muscle mass. I think alot of may be these guys think there big lose fat then see there really not big as thy thought then blame the cut.

TexasGuy

Awards
Agreed. When cutting i get on beta aline argline and other NO products as well as caffinee. Its just annoying to hear kids bitch and moan they lose muscle mass. I think alot of may be these guys think there big lose fat then see there really not big as thy thought then blame the cut.
Yeah, most of it is an inability to accept the honest truth they didn't have as much muscle as they thought most likely. The first time you cut for real can be humbling. If you've spent tons of money on hyped up magic pills and realize you only actually gained a few quality pounds, it can be a hard hit to your pride and intelligence.

I've found caffeine to be helpful during a cut for energy levels.

I also use creatine b-vitamins and COq10.

Creatine may cause weight gain on a scale measurement but it is mostly water anyways and won't add fat. It definitely increases work capacity, allowing more calories to burn in a given training session. It aids in muscle preservation as well, if not encouraging gains, even on a "cut". At the end of the cut, you can quit using the creatine, dry out in a matter of days and voila, a better cut.

CoQ10 works hand in hand with creatine by aiding the body in generating energy at a cellular level, effectively creating a metabolism boost while also providing "working" energy. Not only that, it acts as a catalyst to breakdown food in to energy and regulates fats and sugars in the blood stream. B-Complex vitamins do much of this as well.

Taken together, the ATP boost from creatine coupled with the beneficial actions of CoQ10 and B Vitamins in the body make for a great cut. Throw in a cup of coffee or two and you are creating a Super Cutting Supp for pennies on the dollar.

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend creatine for a first time cut, it can make it hard to track and manage your fat loss when your scale weight is going up. You already have to know how your body responds to specific cutting protocols you are undertaking and trust them to come out beneficially in the end when you dry out.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Also I think when people go from a bulk to a cut they drop carbs and cals too quickly. It should be a slow downwards progression in carbs and calories per week until you hit your desired caloric intake. Some may even find that they can burn fat with an even higher caloric intake than expected. It really comes down to individual response, training, nutrition, supplementation and genetics but one must know their own body and not solely rely on any one method for cutting. Modifications are often necessary which is absolutely ok

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lbm is pretty common and to be expected when one is dieting for weight loss

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I was my strongest during my 4 month calorie deficient until now, currently using mechabol, with zero strength supps to rely on. your average experienced dieter should have no problem losing body fat while retaining mass but for the most part people go overboard with cutting supps and cardio while in a large deficiency.