cardio for "hard stomach"?

rawfeels

Awards
ive always been pretty squareish (i dont think ive ever had a V taper) but in decent shape until the last few years. ive been getting back into weights over the last few weeks and have been on a regular 4 days split and doing about 20 minutes on the stair climber after my workouts. the other three days ive been running two miles (to start) but i havent really been consistent with that.

diet...well i know what to eat and i do pretty well. if anything im probably not eating enough. im about 5'9", probably 20-23% bf at about 215-220lbs depending on the scale. Over the next year or so i want to get to around...190ish and continue to eventually 170 or so. i dont think im capable of getting below 160ish physically...im just not built that way i think. its like im made of bricks but i dont care as long as the composition is there.

anyway...my question is this. ive noticed that my stomach is hard but fat (obviously...cause im fat). my waist is like 40" but about 7 years ago wheni started getting fat, it was a 32". like..my midsection is strong but bulky kinda like a power lifter or something. is this just a natural function of my body and getting old or is it just an illusion and cardio will take care of it to make it flat again and not so bulky/hard?

assuming to keep up with my heavy squats, am i doomed to have bulk gut and my pant size will never go down? basically i want to lift heavy but am wondering if i should be focusing more on cardio than heavy weight to get rid of the extra weight.

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
Cut some weight with cardio and proper diet then once you feel comftable you should peruse power lifting. But honestly I always left heavy not always maxing but always heavy. I never go above 8 reps. But look into the 5x5 program.

newbreed

Awards
The 5*5 program worked great for me. I also hear 5,3,1 works well

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
if you have always been kinda fat then what you have is called "brown fat" which is much harder to get rid of. you will know you have "brown fat" when a area of fat that is normally soft is hard... only real thing you can do is cardio cardio cardio. the problem with fat is there is little to no blood flow. so no nutreints get or flow throughthe fat making it very hard to get rid of, harder when its brown.

i would have you try to make as much heat around your midsection as possable while doin cardio and if you could all day long...use one of those rubber wraps around your midsection. i know everyone gonna say "those dont work" but in your case its just about the only thing that will work.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
if you have always been kinda fat then what you have is called "brown fat" which is much harder to get rid of. you will know you have "brown fat" when a area of fat that is normally soft is hard... only real thing you can do is cardio cardio cardio. the problem with fat is there is little to no blood flow. so no nutreints get or flow throughthe fat making it very hard to get rid of, harder when its brown.

i would have you try to make as much heat around your midsection as possable while doin cardio and if you could all day long...use one of those rubber wraps around your midsection. i know everyone gonna say "those dont work" but in your case its just about the only thing that will work.
Disagree. Brown fat is good fat.
We need to stimulate white fat, increase heat and turn it to Brown fat.

rawfeels

Awards
ive never even heard of brown fat. i did know tha tthe longer its there the harder to get rid of though.

ill look into one of those rubber belt things then i guess. thanks.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
The 5*5 program worked great for me. I also hear 5,3,1 works well
Good on bulk, harder on cut...hard to maintain and gain strength in calorie deficit.
A supplement to hold onto muscle like recompadrol and anabeta elite would be used to boost test and drive nutrients into muscle for strength retention.

Brown fat is abundant in babies, but as we age, they dicipate and white fat comes in making it harder to lose fat as you age. That and all the hormonal processes slow and.make it harder too.