What's your best way to lose weight?

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm trying to lose a good 10 pounds what the quickest and easiest way to do this?

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Prob won't be quick or easy.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Slow and steady is the best way my man look into LG it helped me lose 50lbs in about 7-8 months and i never felt like i was dieting

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Slow and steady is the best way my man look into LG it helped me lose 50lbs in about 7-8 months and i never felt like i was dieting
While lean gains drops weight, for me personally, i felt like I lost a lot of muscle. Even my gf said so, and she normally says she cant tell.
Personally, next time round i'll eat 6 meals a day but stop eating after 9-10pm and start eating at 9am. Its not quite as extreme but may make all the difference for me.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
While lean gains drops weight, for me personally, i felt like I lost a lot of muscle. Even my gf said so, and she normally says she cant tell.
Personally, next time round i'll eat 6 meals a day but stop eating after 9-10pm and start eating at 9am. Its not quite as extreme but may make all the difference for me.
you may be right, but alot of people mistake fat mass for muscle mass for example when i was 207 with 16.5" arms i seemed to have larger arms where as now i have cut defined arms that are hella vascular lol but only 14.5" did i lose muscle? I would say no i just got the fat off my arms thus sacrificing a little pseudo muscle size. The only way to know 100% if you lost muscle mass would be a bod pod before and after to justify your claim. However lets face it unless we do an extremely long drawn out cut we will lose some muscle mass, not alot but some its inevitable my friend. But as i said you may be right, afterall its your body you would know better than anyone. LG has worked well for me but there is no one size fits all its not for everybody i suppose. In the end do what works for you and use others advice for help along the way.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Replace sugary drinks with MGN whey protein isolate

alexajeri

Awards
Hi,
Try Phenocal . it is the best for weight loss.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Dude you want quick fast weight loss... DNP is the fastest way to blow fat off your body!

emersonkelly

Awards
Have 2-3 cups of green tea each day for weight loss!!

blueice

Awards
Lower your carb intake, then eat more nutritious rather than sugary and salty foods, avoid deep fried foods and don't forget to exercise. Cardio will help you burn faster.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Safely? Eat lower than your caloric needs and exercise.
Dangerously? Fast for long periods, Drugs or a combination of both.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Starve yourself and do tons of cardio. Have fun losing muscle though.

In all seriousness, though, slow and steady. Eat right/Train right. There is no magical solution. And the question is too vague for anyone to really map out a plan of attack.

BigMikeC

BigMikeC

Awards
Lower your carbs,up your cardio, small meals spread out through the day. You could try a good prohormone like PH17. Just make sure your diet and work-outs are in check first.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't say you have to lower your carbs per say, as there is conflicting evidence to suggest if this is actually the best solution; considering fatty acids are not utilised at the same rate as ingestion whereas a carb molecule is (or stored as glycogen); which is referred to as Carbohydrate Balance/ Fat Balance. Its not as simple as the argument "Insulin moves carbs to be stored as fat" as it is a little more complex than this. But I digress;

Rather than eat less, why not just exercise more? If you have the time; or, if you haven't already, swap LISS for HIIT or even just begin a HIIT program.

On top of this there are supplements which are fit-for-purpose such as the EC stack or raspberry ketones or something of the like.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Bottom line: Train hard, do 30-40 min of cardio 5-6 times per week, and eat what you think you should eat. If you don't know if it's good for you or not, it's probably not. If you typically can't eat it with a fork (other than raw fruit/veggies) or it's pre-packaged or can't rot or man made it, don't eat it.

blueice

Awards
For me is HIIT (high intensity interval training)

- build up to 6 intervals doing either the track or treadmill workout. Then move on to the anaerobic capacity workout.
- to prevent overtraining, don't do more than two or three sessions per week.
- take three to four weeks to build up a cardio base before doing intervals

simogone

Awards
Add 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise immediately after your resistance training workout. Fitness author Jeff Anderson calls this "super cardio" because it directly targets body fat. Having burned through all of your muscle-stored glycogen, your body must turn to stored body fat for energy. Examples include riding the exercise bike, walking on the treadmill or using the elliptical machine. If you prefer outdoor activities, try jogging, walking, cycling, swimming or participating in recreational sports.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Add 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise immediately after your resistance training workout. Fitness author Jeff Anderson calls this "super cardio" because it directly targets body fat. Having burned through all of your muscle-stored glycogen, your body must turn to stored body fat for energy. Examples include riding the exercise bike, walking on the treadmill or using the elliptical machine. If you prefer outdoor activities, try jogging, walking, cycling, swimming or participating in recreational sports.
This is a fairly outdated approach. There is no such thing as "you won't burn fat until at least 40 minutes of workout", that myth has been disproved for quite a while.

It is always pretty much the same, Calories in - Calories out = changes in body weight. So basically, eat less than you spend.

There is quite the section that swears by cardio on an empty stomach, with support from BCAAs and Glucosamine (it fits my schedule, so I do it as well) so maybe give that a shot if you want something new. But nothing will make you lose weight unless your diet is on check and below your maintenance level.

Borispili

Borispili

Banned
Awards
Are you really recoomending this its like the most dangerous thing out there, it can kill you. I guesse the more dangerous the better the results

TexasGuy

Awards
The "myth" isn't discussing whether or not any fat is burned before x amount of exercise but how much compared to glycogen stores under certain circumstances. And no, it hasn't been "disproven". There are other methodologies out there also. LISS both post training and empty stomach is still a useful tool. New isn't always better.
This is a fairly outdated approach. There is no such thing as "you won't burn fat until at least 40 minutes of workout", that myth has been disproved for quite a while.

It is always pretty much the same, Calories in - Calories out = changes in body weight. So basically, eat less than you spend.

There is quite the section that swears by cardio on an empty stomach, with support from BCAAs and Glucosamine (it fits my schedule, so I do it as well) so maybe give that a shot if you want something new. But nothing will make you lose weight unless your diet is on check and below your maintenance level.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards

This "outdated approach" works for me and works for all of my clients that I've told to do so. I will continue to do so until it does not work. But my diet is usually in check also :)

blueice

Awards
I can consider also HIIT, it helps me a lot in losing weight

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If it's just water weight, nothing does it better than 0 carb.
As far as bodyfat... consistent diet, plus HIIT and weights.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Highly doubtful you will use all muscle glycogen in a workout
2. Adding cardio (especially in the forms of jogging, walking, etc) will make minimal difference compared to a calorie deficit.

If you were to add cardio in HIIT would be the way to go. Not because t burns more calories but because it improves metabolic markers which will help allow you to loose more weight.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
2. Adding cardio (especially in the forms of jogging, walking, etc) will make minimal difference compared to a calorie deficit.

If you were to add cardio in HIIT would be the way to go. Not because t burns more calories but because it improves metabolic markers which will help allow you to loose more weight.
Completely agree. Plus, HIIT is also party anaerobic/glycogen-depleting, which can improve leg muscle strength and endurance, and further deplete glycogen for a calorie "repartitioning" effect. It also improves VO2 max, which can come in handy during any typical high-rep training session.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Problem is, is that people take more notice of the fact that cardio is predominatly fat burning, as opposed to HIIT. But one must remember that greater proportions do not always = greater volume.
Going along the line of HIIT; HIIT uses a greater proportion of carb:fat BUT total fat burning is greater in the long run, mostly due to the 'metabolic afterburn' and improved lipolysis.

I have to ask though; weight training typically uses glycogen or the PCr system for fuel and not fat; so why would cardio, which uses more fat, be more beneficial after this type of exercise if both burn different fuels? This approach doesn't make much sense. It would do if fat was used at higher proportions during weight bearing exercise but this isnt the case, therefore you are attaining no extra benefit.

Not against cardio, but the reasoning for cardio after is not really valid.

:D

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Completely agree. Plus, HIIT is also party anaerobic/glycogen-depleting, which can improve leg muscle strength and endurance, and further deplete glycogen for a calorie "repartitioning" effect. It also improves VO2 max, which can come in handy during any typical high-rep training session.
But coop, you know how tiring HIIT is? Ugh....:lol:

Reynold

Awards
IT depends on you how much weight you want to get and lose also.Running,swimming,rope jump,cardio,Yoga these games are good for lose weight and body fitness also.

TexasGuy

Awards
Problem is, is that people take more notice of the fact that cardio is predominatly fat burning, as opposed to HIIT. But one must remember that greater proportions do not always = greater volume.
Going along the line of HIIT; HIIT uses a greater proportion of carb:fat BUT total fat burning is greater in the long run, mostly due to the 'metabolic afterburn' and improved lipolysis.

I have to ask though; weight training typically uses glycogen or the PCr system for fuel and not fat; so why would cardio, which uses more fat, be more beneficial after this type of exercise if both burn different fuels? This approach doesn't make much sense. It would do if fat was used at higher proportions during weight bearing exercise but this isnt the case, therefore you are attaining no extra benefit.

Not against cardio, but the reasoning for cardio after is not really valid.

:D
The idea is that although cardio does primarily attack fat (how much so depends on intensity, HIIT vs. LISS for example) it also does force your body to tap in to glycogen stores, even if at a lower ratio than fat stores and by depleting your body of glycogen in a weight training session, your body begins to draw on its secondary fuel source, fat. When you hop on the treadmill and do an incline walk or other form of LISS cardio, your ratio of fat:glycogen being used up is improved, meaning you are burning even more total fat calories for energy than you would have otherwise.

And regarding weight loss, calories in vs. calories out is still the basis. Glycogen manipulation, contest prep and extreme weight cutting routines are all temporary for bodybuilding shows, athletic event weigh-ins et cetera anyways. Calories in vs. out are how you manage your "scratch" or "walk around" weight or for people exercising for general health, just basic weight control. Cardio simply allows you to burn extra calories over and above weight training, and to do so in a state of increased metabolic afterburn (an additional spike in "temperature" in an already hot "oven") while taking advantage of epoc and depleted glycogen stores. Another poster mentioned increasing VO2 max levels (though this is an effect of high intensity training) which translates directly to better lifting sessions as well, which provide the benefits you mention above. All in all it is a synergistic circle of awesome.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
This "outdated approach" works for me and works for all of my clients that I've told to do so. I will continue to do so until it does not work. But my diet is usually in check also :)
Let me get this straight: you are not surprised that having someone doing 45+ minutes of cardio is an effective way to lose fat? Well, no real shocker there.

But if I do the same amount of calories in 20 minutes as your clients do in one hour, result will be the same.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Let me get this straight: you are not surprised that having someone doing 45+ minutes of cardio is an effective way to lose fat? Well, no real shocker there.

But if I do the same amount of calories in 20 minutes as your clients do in one hour, result will be the same.
Not to mention the body will adapt to liss, especially in high volumes which means in the long term you have to do more and more liss cardio to burn the same amount of calories.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards

Well I don't know about you bro but I physically can't do 30 mins HIIT after lifting as I'm usually pretty gassed post workout. Add 300 cals LISS after resistance training to your daily calorie deficit and it works. Can you honestly say you can perform HIIT after leg day?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Well I don't know about you bro but I physically can't do 30 mins HIIT after lifting as I'm usually pretty gassed post workout. Add 300 cals LISS after resistance training to your daily calorie deficit and it works. Can you honestly say you can perform HIIT after leg day?
Not after leg day, no, that's when I go without Cardio.

I personally am on DC 3 split training. So I do AB, CA, BC, etc. On C (leg days) I take the day off from cardio. I'm at the gym 4 times a week for lifting, and then 3 - 5 days I'll do cardio, depending. I also enjoy doing it in the morning, so by the time get to lifting, I'm no longer exhausted from my HIIT that was done in the beginning of the day, and it will also not force me to be at the gym for long stretches of time.

I have tried the slow and steady approach too while fasting, 60 minutes 12% incline 3.8 mph walk. Would burn around 800 calories with my heartmonitor. Or I could do HIIT on the same 12% incline, 1:30 at 3.3, 30 seconds at 9.0mph and then burn 850 calories in 25 minutes and then go chill in the hot tub for 20. Matter of choices I guess.

TexasGuy

Awards
Not after leg day, no, that's when I go without Cardio.

I personally am on DC 3 split training. So I do AB, CA, BC, etc. On C (leg days) I take the day off from cardio. I'm at the gym 4 times a week for lifting, and then 3 - 5 days I'll do cardio, depending. I also enjoy doing it in the morning, so by the time get to lifting, I'm no longer exhausted from my HIIT that was done in the beginning of the day, and it will also not force me to be at the gym for long stretches of time.

I have tried the slow and steady approach too while fasting, 60 minutes 12% incline 3.8 mph walk. Would burn around 800 calories with my heartmonitor. Or I could do HIIT on the same 12% incline, 1:30 at 3.3, 30 seconds at 9.0mph and then burn 850 calories in 25 minutes and then go chill in the hot tub for 20. Matter of choices I guess.
Yes, it is a matter of choice. I think people are responding to your comment that post lifting LISS is an "outdated" approach though, not that HIIT isn't effective or efficient.

Is anybody going to open the recovery can of worms?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Yes, it is a matter of choice. I think people are responding to your comment that post lifting LISS is an "outdated" approach though, not that HIIT isn't effective or efficient.

Is anybody going to open the recovery can of worms?
I was merely debating the old concept that "you do not start losing fat until after the 40th minute of doing exercise". If they want to do LISS or HIIT it's up to them, but just don't agree with saying that the only way to lose fat is to do at least 45 minutes of cardio.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
These are some great suggestions I think I will try to do cardio 5 times per week and also change
my diet some by replacing sugary drinks with Pure Whey Isolate and also try using MGN's fat burner
they have its called Trim Down Advanced and its supposed to be scientifically proven for weight loss.

TexasGuy

Awards
These are some great suggestions I think I will try to do cardio 5 times per week and also change
my diet some by replacing sugary drinks with Pure Whey Isolate and also try using MGN's fat burner
they have its called Trim Down Advanced and its supposed to be scientifically proven for weight loss.
Replacing sugary drinks will do wonders.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yea I think replacing sugary drinks will be a challenge for me but it will be well worth it for sure.
I really have a lot to look forward to I am expecting my first child and really want to be in great
shape for the new baby I'll need all my energy! I will be doing cardio 5 times per week also.

TexasGuy

Awards
Yea I think replacing sugary drinks will be a challenge for me but it will be well worth it for sure.
I really have a lot to look forward to I am expecting my first child and really want to be in great
shape for the new baby I'll need all my energy! I will be doing cardio 5 times per week also.
You need to burn or eliminate roughly 3500 calories from your standard intake to lose 1 lb. of body weight. Assume two sugary drinks daily at 200 calories each, 400 empty calories per day. 400*7= 2800 calories burned per week. In a month you're looking at 11,200 empty calories. That's roughly 3 pounds lost simply by eliminating sugary drinks. Not to mention the effect on your insulin response, the lowered risk of diabetes, less acidity and inflammation in your body and on and on.

Try calorie free or low cal substitutes as you adjust. Ultimately water or tea, especially green tea (ecgc), should be the goal imo.

I don't know how much you actually drink but I bet if you actually logged each drink for a week meticulously, you would be shocked. Working your personal numbers gives a pretty compelling reason to quit.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
What kind of drinks do you have?

Not ideal, but why not at least switch to some coke zero or something along those lines during adjustment period?

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
I'm trying to lose a good 10 pounds what the quickest and easiest way to do this?

-Eat clean
-Drop simple sugars out of your diet
-Hit the gym hard utilizing weight training and cardio as much as you can!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Skip breakfast, ultra low carb, don't drop fat super low, 1 insane carb refeed a week, lift weights and taper volume as glycogen becomes depleted.