What's your best way to lose weight?

Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    I belive he's saying that cardio and weights will not directly increase metabolism straight after a workout (i.e. create an 'afterburn') but this is intensity dependant. But your typical weight session and cardio (LISS) will not stimulate the afterburn effect.

    It has been said that the compostition of calories (whether 3,000kcals from brown rice or 3,000kcals from big macs) are not important in the grand scheme as both equate too 3,000kcals, and if this causes you to go over your TDEE, then weight gain will occur regardless of how 'clean' you eat. In weight loss cases its more important to monitor TOTAL calories as this will determine the amount of weight lost.

    Eating 'clean' is important just to meet your micronutrient goals but will not in effect be the sole reason for weight loss, you will still have to monitor total calorie intake

    Yes, I understand that Jiigzz, thank you.

    Here's the thing though (not directed at you) I have gone from being very overweight to 4 weeks out from competing, never once counting my calories/macros or any of that other stuff and did just fine. I ate clean, left carbs out at night, and worked my ass off in the gym. If I'm going to diet then I'm certainly not going to sit around eating burgers and fries because it's in my macros. I would look like crap and feel like crap.

    Telling someone that wants to lose weight that it doesn't matter if they go to the gym or eat clean is ridiculous. Seems like a lot of ppl like to give advice that sounds like they are copying and pasting from text book's instead of using real life situation's. Everything does not work the same for everyone. If I did not utilize cardio and weight's, and ate whatever I wanted (as long as it's in my macros) then I would not look the way I do, and that's just a fact. I was under the impression that this is a BB'ing website, maybe I was wrong.....


    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    Essentially, you can't out train a sh!*ty diet.
    Never said you could


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post

    Here's the thing though (not directed at you) I have gone from being very overweight to 4 weeks out from competing, never once counting my calories/macros or any of that other stuff and did just fine. I ate clean, left carbs out at night, and worked my ass off in the gym. If I'm going to diet then I'm certainly not going to sit around eating burgers and fries because it's in my macros. I would look like crap and feel like crap.

    Telling someone that wants to lose weight that it doesn't matter if they go to the gym or eat clean is ridiculous. Seems like a lot of ppl like to give advice that sounds like they are copying and pasting from text book's instead of using real life situation's. Everything does not work the same for everyone. If I did not utilize cardio and weight's, and ate whatever I wanted (as long as it's in my macros) then I would not look the way I do, and that's just a fact. I was under the impression that this is a BB'ing website, maybe I was wrong.....
    YEA! Screw empirical evidence from so called science.

    Ones single persons personal experience trumps any peer-reviewed study and is all I need to know. Their biased subjective experience is all one needs in order to separate whats real and whats not.

    Science- schmience!
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    So....you saying cardio/weightlifting is not important and neither is eating clean??? Confused
    Obviously that's not what I said

  4. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    YEA! Screw empirical evidence from so called science.

    Ones single persons personal experience trumps any peer-reviewed study and is all I need to know. Their biased subjective experience is all one needs in order to separate whats real and whats not.

    Science- schmience!

    Never said that either. Like I said my way is not the right way for everyone, but why don't more ppl on here talk about what works FOR THEM in real life instead of - i read this study.....i read that study......easy way out.... there seems to be a lot of that going on....oh well....like i said whatever works

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    Never said that either. Like I said my way is not the right way for everyone, but why don't more ppl on here talk about what works FOR THEM in real life instead of - i read this study.....i read that study......easy way out.... there seems to be a lot of that going on....oh well....like i said whatever works
    What I stated happens to also work for me. I got to 7% BF eating a 300g carbohydrate meal of kids cereal and sugar prior to bed almost nightly.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post

    Never said that either. Like I said my way is not the right way for everyone, but why don't more ppl on here talk about what works FOR THEM in real life instead of - i read this study.....i read that study......easy way out.... there seems to be a lot of that going on....oh well....like i said whatever works
    I agree 100%. If you have superior genetics, yes you can eat whatever you want and see results. If it was as simple as calories, everyone would be walking around at 6%bf and 18" arms.....
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  7. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    What I stated happens to also work for me. I got to 7% BF eating a 300g carbohydrate meal of kids cereal and sugar prior to bed almost nightly.
    Not adult or teenage cereal? Lol
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    Never said that either. Like I said my way is not the right way for everyone, but why don't more ppl on here talk about what works FOR THEM in real life instead of - i read this study.....i read that study......easy way out.... there seems to be a lot of that going on....oh well....like i said whatever works
    Most of us believe in evidence based practice which is essentially the blending of science and art. You on the other hand seem to have the mindset that the only information of value comes from the "trenches" or as you say "real life" This mindset is a mistake. You can not disassociate the art from the underlying science that supports it. Science gives us an objective measure to which help guide us in making decisions. This mindset that chooses to ignore this are only really doing an injustice to the themselves and that is perfectly fine (I am of the belief people have the right to be stupid if they so choose to be. Got my fingers crossed darwins theory will prevail in the end) but when these individuals start to spread this concept I do feel the need to chime in and help add some perspective. As I mentioned above in my sarcastic post, without consideration of scientific research, you will ultimately fall prey to the biases of subjectivity.

    Now, this does not mean that everything should be based on research alone and that personal anecdotal evidence is somehow irrelevant. It just shouldnt be the main driving force to creating ideas. Rather, one should be current with the available research and use this as their basis for decision making. You take the conclusions drawn from the research (as a whole, not just a single study) and apply them based on your personal experiences and whatever "real world" factors you need to consider (i.e injury, illness, schedule, convineince and practicality, etc) This is evidence-based practice and is what this industry needs more of
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  9. Did I say food choices don't matter? I said portion control and overall macronutrient intake is far more important.

    These nutrition debates always end up in semantics, which is why I'm not gonna bother here. If you do truly find scientific evidence to be of little worth, though, then there is a fundamental flaw in your approach to problem-solving.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    I agree 100%. If you have superior genetics, yes you can eat whatever you want and see results. If it was as simple as calories, everyone would be walking around at 6%bf and 18" arms.....

    Exactly....wouldn't we all love have those genetics, BUT WE DON'T!!!

  11. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Most of us believe in evidence based practice which is essentially the blending of science and art. You on the other hand seem to have the mindset that the only information of value comes from the "trenches" or as you say "real life" This mindset is a mistake. You can not disassociate the art from the underlying science that supports it. Science gives us an objective measure to which help guide us in making decisions. This mindset that chooses to ignore this are only really doing an injustice to the themselves and that is perfectly fine (I am of the belief people have the right to be stupid if they so choose to be. Got my fingers crossed darwins theory will prevail in the end) but when these individuals start to spread this concept I do feel the need to chime in and help add some perspective. As I mentioned above in my sarcastic post, without consideration of scientific research, you will ultimately fall prey to the biases of subjectivity.

    Now, this does not mean that everything should be based on research alone and that personal anecdotal evidence is somehow irrelevant. It just shouldnt be the main driving force to creating ideas. Rather, one should be current with the available research and use this as their basis for decision making. You take the conclusions drawn from the research (as a whole, not just a single study) and apply them based on your personal experiences and whatever "real world" factors you need to consider (i.e injury, illness, schedule, convineince and practicality, etc) This is evidence-based practice and is what this industry needs more of

    Again.....I'm already bored......what did you say earlier? Science- schmience!

    What's your REAL WORLD experience??

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    Exactly....wouldn't we all love have those genetics, BUT WE DON'T!!!
    I have low T, high E, high cortisol, low TSH, and was in the 15th percentile of bodyweight throughout my entire childhood. What genetics?

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    Again.....I'm already bored......what did you say earlier? Science- schmience!

    What's your REAL WORLD experience??
    The tenets of my statements are used by physicians in my locale in the treatment of obesity. Hundreds of thousands of success stories from one clinic alone. Is that real world enough?

  14. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    The tenets of my statements are used by physicians in my locale in the treatment of obesity. Hundreds of thousands of success stories from one clinic alone. Is that real world enough?
    Was not directed towards you

  15. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I have low T, high E, high cortisol, low TSH, and was in the 15th percentile of bodyweight throughout my entire childhood. What genetics?
    Wait....so your telling me you ate children's cereal at night and that caused you to get down to 7% b/fat?? Come on mr c

  16. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    I have low T, high E, high cortisol, low TSH, and was in the 15th percentile of bodyweight throughout my entire childhood. What genetics?
    Coop, was your secret kids cereal vs. teenage cereal?

    I will agree that portion control is a huge factor. What is your premies on my ability to eat 3,200 calories/day on a keto diet and maintaining lower bodyfat than a 3,000 calories diet with incorporated carbs?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    Wait....so your telling me you ate children's cereal at night and that caused you to get down to 7% b/fat?? Come on mr c
    It didn't cause my weight loss. There are some serious misinterpretations of the points I'm trying to get across.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    Again.....I'm already bored......what did you say earlier? Science- schmience!

    What's your REAL WORLD experience??
    And with that I am done
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Coop, was your secret kids cereal vs. teenage cereal?

    I will agree that portion control is a huge factor. What is your premies on my ability to eat 3,200 calories/day on a keto diet and maintaining lower bodyfat than a 3,000 calories diet with incorporated carbs?
    There have been several research reviews showing no benefit to keto on isocaloric diets. Keto will reduce BW and increase the impression of weight loss due to its effects on water, and it may make dieting more manageable by eliminating cravings, but the data repeatedly shows no direct body composition benefits

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Coop, was your secret kids cereal vs. teenage cereal?

    I will agree that portion control is a huge factor. What is your premies on my ability to eat 3,200 calories/day on a keto diet and maintaining lower bodyfat than a 3,000 calories diet with incorporated carbs?
    because you are using the fallacy of calories in vs calories out as the sole basis of weight loss
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  21. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

    There have been several research reviews showing no benefit to keto on isocaloric diets. Keto will reduce BW and increase the impression of weight loss due to its effects on water, and it may make dieting more manageable by eliminating cravings, but the data repeatedly shows no direct body composition benefits
    With that said I calorie and carb/fat cycle and use if.

    Best way. A little of ever diet in there lol

  22. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    There have been several research reviews showing no benefit to keto on isocaloric diets. Keto will reduce BW and increase the impression of weight loss due to its effects on water, and it may make dieting more manageable by eliminating cravings, but the data repeatedly shows no direct body composition benefits
    No doubt the keto diet offers a lot less water & bloating which can often lead to a leaner "look" I'm going on 5 point skin folds that show a credible difference. I also know that increased water can cause for added mm to folds, especially in your mid-section. However, not enough to shake a stick at if you're returning to a "normal" state.

    Guess I'm an anomaly, my mom always said I was special....
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  23. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    What I stated happens to also work for me. I got to 7% BF eating a 300g carbohydrate meal of kids cereal and sugar prior to bed almost nightly.
    I am going to be in your area tues and thurs for the next couple months. What say you we have some of this magical sugar cereal for lunch sometime
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  24. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

    because you are using the fallacy of calories in vs calories out as the sole basis of weight loss
    Yeah you're right, ive never use skin folds & tape measurements in any of my personal progress. Same goes for weights in sets and pictures. I only step on the scale Saturday mornings to track progress.....

    Not my first rodeo cowboy

    Cris Carter "C'mon man"
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  25. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I am going to be in your area tues and thurs for the next couple months. What say you we have some of this magical sugar cereal for lunch sometime
    I just left for break but you know I'm down on either day. And perhaps a lifting session as well?

  26. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I just left for break but you know I'm down on either day. And perhaps a lifting session as well?
    I wont be around there till towards the end of January and will be there for umm I dunno say the next 5 years! (FML) You belong to a local gym there? If they have some sort of day pass deal then I am down (I can also check with our facilities we have and see how they feel about visitors) but man I was really looking forward to some lucky charms
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  27. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh

    I wont be around there till towards the end of January and will be there for umm I dunno say the next 5 years! (FML) You belong to a local gym there? If they have some sort of day pass deal then I am down (I can also check with our facilities we have and see how they feel about visitors) but man I was really looking forward to some lucky charms
    Josh no invite. Gotta say I'm kinda hurt lol. I should have my new whip. Will want to it some miles on that badboy

  28. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    What I stated happens to also work for me. I got to 7% BF eating a 300g carbohydrate meal of kids cereal and sugar prior to bed almost nightly.
    A bunch of carbs before bed is crazy talk. All that will do is make you fat. Dont you know your metabolism completely shuts down at night instantly making you fat.

    *Continues to eat frosted flakes with a sliced banana and milk. Getting ready for my apple turnover covered in vanilla ice cream. Oh how I wish I knew about this sooner*

  29. To be technical Leptin peaks at night and optimal fat burning occurs a few hours after sleep

    Peak Leptin even higher with that high can meal and train fasted in the morning your metabolism will be high.

    Carb back loading

    But metabolism doesn't completely shut down.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Best way to lose weight
    By Gilroye in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 10:27 AM
  3. Best Way To Lose Weight
    By lamuscle in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 01:43 AM
  4. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Log in
Log in