Awards
Hello,
36 year old male
B.W was 176
C.W. 159
G.W. ~150?
height 5'9"
B.F.%: ? suspect about 18%

Due to flat feet problems, I can't really do jogging or treadmill for cardio, but can do a lot of ellipitcal with resistance without problems.
Currently, do about 65 minutes of elliptical 3x/week. Calorie burn about 800.

Diet:
AM: 1 Greek Yogurt, 1 omelette (1 whole egg and 2 egg whites) with a little "light" shredded cheese

Lunch: 1/3 pound deli turkey, mustard, 1-2 handfuls of mini carrots, some pop chips, and about 10-15 almonds.

PM: Various chicken, fish, or turkey meatballs meals. Wife cooks with low fat, very easy oil. Suspect each meal is about 400-600 cal max.

A few snacks from time to time. Some M&m's, low butter popcorn, pop chips, a lot of the low-fat string cheese.

I suspect calorie intake right about 1700.

So, I am dropping weight, most weeks. I do lift weights about twice a week. Not doing legs currently since fatigued from all the resistance on the elliptical.

Try to train abs 2-3x/week. A little circuit of abdominal exercises for at least 10 minutes each time.

Question: I am really trying to get the fat off the abs. If I continue the above, continue some weight training, and continue doing some ab workout, will that be good enough?

Any suggestions appreciated.
On workout days I take additional Gold Whey. I use Xtend during workouts/elliptical.

Thanks

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
I'd split up my meals so they are more frequent personally web cutting it helps keep me full and if in hungry I know a meal is coming soon rather than spaced out.

Few tips- eat carbs in the am and then cutdown throughout the day. Last meals only carb should be veggies. Make sure you're shooting for 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight as it will help stave off muscle wasting.

diezel

Awards
  • Established
Take out snacks and pre packaged food. Something like string cheese or greek yogurt should be fine as long as you have no lactose issues. Add in an extra day or two of resistance training. To get a hard physique, resistance training (including legs) will help out tremendously.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Why the M&Ms? :)

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
List macros please; protein fat and carb intake daily. I suspect protein needs to be a lot higher

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd split up my meals so they are more frequent personally web cutting it helps keep me full and if in hungry I know a meal is coming soon rather than spaced out.

Few tips- eat carbs in the am and then cutdown throughout the day. Last meals only carb should be veggies. Make sure you're shooting for 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight as it will help stave off muscle wasting.
Why?

Certain studies have shown that eating carbs later in the day improves the likelihood of the nutrients being shuttles to muscle rather than fat, as opposed to earlier in the day when the GLUT4 receptors of fat and muscle cells are both receptive to the insulin response.

pistol345

pistol345

Awards
  • Established
Why?

Certain studies have shown that eating carbs later in the day improves the likelihood of the nutrients being shuttles to muscle rather than fat, as opposed to earlier in the day when the GLUT4 receptors of fat and muscle cells are both receptive to the insulin response.
Although that may be possible, I personally haven't heard that. My understanding is that your metabolism is slower at night, and in turn makes eating less efficient, so there is a better chance that carbs will turn to fat instead of muscle. And by eating carbs earlier in the day, you can still burn them off during exercise and everything, instead of going to bed with a full stomach and letting it convert to fat. There's a million "proven" opinions out there tho, so who knows. I like to cut carbs at night, and my cutting usually goes pretty well. Just see what works best for you tho

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Although that may be possible, I personally haven't heard that. My understanding is that your metabolism is slower at night, and in turn makes eating less efficient, so there is a better chance that carbs will turn to fat instead of muscle. And by eating carbs earlier in the day, you can still burn them off during exercise and everything, instead of going to bed with a full stomach and letting it convert to fat. There's a million "proven" opinions out there tho, so who knows. I like to cut carbs at night, and my cutting usually goes pretty well. Just see what works best for you tho
Thats outdated information. Just like the six meals a day that used to be "fact"

Research Carb backloading as it goes into it far more than I feel like doing. The only problem I could see with carbs at night is ingesting them right before bed because insulin blunts hgh release.

Also eating the carbs later in the day, specifically after a high intensity workout (think HIIT) has been shown to have a favorable enzymatic response in the body for nutrient partitioning.

Its all about staying current in an evolving field. :wink:

dutchovenftw

Awards
this is accurate... but i find carbs to keep me full so im not gorging the next morning. plus heres a bit of information. While you metabolism is "slowed" during resting periods its not completely shut down. a pound of fat contains roughly 3500 calories. at 4 calories per gram of carb thats nearly 845 grams of carbs that need to not get burned off at night to make a pound of fat. even at a quater pound of fat thats 218.5 grams of built up carbs that need to be in-excess to be stored as fat. i might go as far enough to say that unless your bulking/bodybuilding the carbs at night has no diffrent effect from eating low to no carbs at night.

dutchovenftw

Awards
very interesting. ill have to research this some more. thanks for the link, wasn't trying to argue your information, as well all know there is 4 million diffrent right answers when it comes to dieting, was just throwing my own thought on the matter

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
very interesting. ill have to research this some more. thanks for the link, wasn't trying to argue your information, as well all know there is 4 million diffrent right answers when it comes to dieting, was just throwing my own thought on the matter
If its something you're interested in, after further research, I would recommend buying the book.

I may do it myself, haven't decided if it will fit into my day quite yet.

dutchovenftw

Awards
If its something you're interested in, after further research, I would recommend buying the book.

I may do it myself, haven't decided if it will fit into my day quite yet.
the only thing that's going to suck is that Ive trained while depleted during my last photo shoot and it was literally the worst experience i have ever been through with low-no carb dieting >< if you have ever carb depleted/loaded then you will know the feeling the last 3 days of the depletion process is the most will challenging days i have ever been through.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the only thing that's going to suck is that Ive trained while depleted during my last photo shoot and it was literally the worst experience i have ever been through with low-no carb dieting >< if you have ever carb depleted/loaded then you will know the feeling the last 3 days of the depletion process is the most will challenging days i have ever been through.
You shouldn't be Carb depleted while eating carbs everyday.

dutchovenftw

Awards
but those 10 days of 30 grams only is going to suck. i wonder if this system would work with intermittent fasting... they seem to synergize quite well

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Personally, through experience, I do not like Intermitent Fasting (IF). It's rediculous that I go hungry most of the day to gorg myself for several hours. Calories are calories, I have a caloric goal; once hitting that goal, through several meals spread out or through a few hours of eating an abundance of food, my body has the same amount of fuel if the calories are the same. 10% of this amount is still going to be spent for digestion, and a certian amount to sustain body functions depending on size of person, the rest is either burnt off through activity or turns to stored energy.

I'd rather eat several meals throughout the day, and not be hungry for an abundance of time. I have a good freind doing IF and he is always complaining about me eating. I try to explain to him his intake is nearly the same as mine, he just does it in a couple hours and I eat all day. It also seems that my morning moods and energy is much higher.

I still stick to the low carb nightime life. I dont eat an abundance of carbs before bed, because its energy in, and not much going out. It takes little energy to sleep. However, it takes a lot to walk around all day, to workout, to do physical activity. Now when carb loading its different, BC you need those carbs to refill the glycogen in the muscles. but just my input from personal experiences not from a science journal. sorry

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Personally, through experience, I do not like Intermitent Fasting (IF). It's rediculous that I go hungry most of the day to gorg myself for several hours. Calories are calories, I have a caloric goal; once hitting that goal, through several meals spread out or through a few hours of eating an abundance of food, my body has the same amount of fuel if the calories are the same. 10% of this amount is still going to be spent for digestion, and a certian amount to sustain body functions depending on size of person, the rest is either burnt off through activity or turns to stored energy.

I'd rather eat several meals throughout the day, and not be hungry for an abundance of time. I have a good freind doing IF and he is always complaining about me eating. I try to explain to him his intake is nearly the same as mine, he just does it in a couple hours and I eat all day. It also seems that my morning moods and energy is much higher.

I still stick to the low carb nightime life. I dont eat an abundance of carbs before bed, because its energy in, and not much going out. It takes little energy to sleep. However, it takes a lot to walk around all day, to workout, to do physical activity. Now when carb loading its different, BC you need those carbs to refill the glycogen in the muscles. but just my input from personal experiences not from a science journal. sorry
I've done IF for quite some time now, and not sure about your friend or what he's going through, but personally I eat between 1PM - 8PM only and I am not the least bit hungry until around noon, when I start cooking lunch.

Guess it is not for everyone, but IF is helpful on the spirit of cheating day, for instance. I'll go and stuff myself with food, during lunch, gorge down 3.5k cal and I'll be full for the rest of the day and I'll still have been under my daily calorie goal, so it works for me. Some people can't stand the not eating, but honestly, I got used to it after a couple of weeks, and I used to have 8 meals a day, easily.

ballerj63

ballerj63

Awards
Need to set up your macros. It doesn't matter if you eat carbs late at night. Fat loss will come, just need to be persistent. From the foods you listed, you probably need to up you caloric intake a little.