Training Fasted, yes or no

halfahardon

halfahardon

Awards
  • Established
I like to use intermittent fasting when I cut. I've heard alot of people say that it's best to train fasted first thing in the morning when you're most likely to burn off fat for energy. And then other people tell me that this is crazy because I'll just end up in a catabolic state burning off muscle for energy. What do you guys think?

J.wayne

J.wayne

Awards
I do my cardio in the morning in a fasted state and then my weight training later on in the evening after a meal or two then I get 50% of my calories post workout. I love it

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
burning muscle compeltly depends on cortisol levels, not when you workout or fasted/not fasted. if you workout fasted, your body will burn its glycogen stores quickly and move on to oxidizing fat. once you hit 45min to an hour, cortisol gets topped off and you go into catabolic mode. trick to this is keep your workouts short and fasted, and you will be fine

and i mean fasted as in morning workouts, not 24-36 hour fasted. cortisol is all over thefukin place once you fast too extreme like that

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
I workout fasted all the time. I just have 10-20g bcaas prior and alls good! If your going to do cardio the bcaas aren't really needed they're for piece of mind really.

mk3less

mk3less

Awards
I workout fasted all the time. I just have 10-20g bcaas prior and alls good! If your going to do cardio the bcaas aren't really needed they're for piece of mind really.
I second this!

newbreed

Awards
I like taking BCAAs before or during fasted training.

Bigchourico

Bigchourico

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Now that I've become accustomed to training fasted i have a lot more energy, even throughout the day. It's kind of hard to explain if you've never felt it.

newbreed

Awards
Now that I've become accustomed to training fasted i have a lot more energy, even throughout the day. It's kind of hard to explain if you've never felt it.
I agree. It's hard to believe. Then again your body is a sponge for nutrients after training fasted therefore putting all the nutrients to use which could help with energy throughout the day

J.wayne

J.wayne

Awards
Exactly!! You dont feel droggy throughout the day like you do when your body is constantly trying to difest foods

awhittamore

awhittamore

Awards
I'm going to have to agree with everyone else, I take the Leangains approach and eat like 60-70% of my daily intake after my workout.

halfahardon

halfahardon

Awards
  • Established
I agree. It's hard to believe. Then again your body is a sponge for nutrients after training fasted therefore putting all the nutrients to use which could help with energy throughout the day
Exactly!! You dont feel droggy throughout the day like you do when your body is constantly trying to difest foods
I'm going to have to agree with everyone else, I take the Leangains approach and eat like 60-70% of my daily intake after my workout.
I agree i think most people would think that with intermittent fasting you would be tired and sluggish all day from lack of food.

halfahardon

halfahardon

Awards
  • Established
I think your average joe would be surprised to find out that fasting actually increases your energy and focus.

awhittamore

awhittamore

Awards
I'm sure we all were surprised when we started
I was definitely worried about energy levels and potential effort in the gym before I started. But now it's nothing more than just a part of my daily routine. IF works, and I feel great while doing it.

newbreed

Awards
I was definitely worried about energy levels and potential effort in the gym before I started. But now it's nothing more than just a part of my daily routine. IF works, and I feel great while doing it.
We all were when we started I'm sure

PrimiFit

Awards
I've trained fasted a lot and I've noticed that using BCAA's really make a difference and I've been able to get muscle mass while cutting with this method.

newbreed

Awards
I've trained fasted a lot and I've noticed that using BCAA's really make a difference and I've been able to get muscle mass while cutting with this method.
I agree with that. BCAA's are a must use product especially when training fasted IMO. Which brand of BCAAs do you use?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Best way to know is to try it for yourself for 10-12 weeks and assess.

PrimiFit

Awards
I've recently used a Optimal Nutrition's product, but I just noticed that it contains soy and may contain gluten and all kinds of other allergens :(. Not going to repeat that mistake again.

halfahardon

halfahardon

Awards
  • Established
It seems like most people doing intermittent fasting are definitely pro Bcaa! I don't usually use bcaa's but if it will help prevent muscle catabolism and not ruin my fast I might give it a try.

PrimiFit

Awards
I've also dabbled with EAA's for a couple of weeks and I think that they give the same effect.

halfahardon

halfahardon

Awards
  • Established
What dosage of Bcaa are you guys using before you train fasted??

newbreed

Awards
I've recently used a Optimal Nutrition's product, but I just noticed that it contains soy and may contain gluten and all kinds of other allergens :(. Not going to repeat that mistake again.
I used to use Xtend but tried the Modern BCAAs when they came out and liked the ratios it had plus sustamine which has more stability in water so I can let it sit in water a while without any worries. Been using it ever since I started. Not to mention they have a very non aggressive taste which I like.

PrimiFit

Awards
I use 20 grams of BCAA's and start drinking it in the beginning of my training and usually finish when I've done half of my workout.

mk3less

mk3less

Awards
BCAA is definitely a must imo. I do 5grams before 5 during and ill sip on 5 grams all day afterwards. I take it only in work out days. I like extend green apple but thinking of giving purple wrath a try next round

forcefan27

forcefan27

Awards
I train fasted in the morning (7:30ish) and mix two scoops of Xtend with about 32oz water. It's really just piee of mind thing for me plus I hate the taste of San Antonio water. Here seven years and still not used to it.

Not to hijack, but in regard to LG, since I train early, I would be breaking my "fast" around 10am and starting again at 6pm. Not eating early isn't an issue for me, but not eating after 6 might be. Is it a big issue to finish training and not eating anything until noon?

NLAFounder

NLAFounder

Board Sponsor
Awards
I like to use intermittent fasting when I cut. I've heard alot of people say that it's best to train fasted first thing in the morning when you're most likely to burn off fat for energy. And then other people tell me that this is crazy because I'll just end up in a catabolic state burning off muscle for energy. What do you guys think?
You need to jump start your metabolism with some food or meal replacement in the morning. Not to mention its stupid to train on an empty stomach because you are far less focused and energized. Wake up and make a whey isolate shake with yogurt, berries, and a scoop of peanut butter. Its always good to throw down some BCAAs too. This will give you energy to run harder and train longer therefore progressing more. Fasting is never good. Trust me I was a multiple time Southern Section champion wrestler and I know what training fasted does to you. You will always get more out of your workouts when you are fueled. As all good athletes do keep your meal portions smaller and more frequent throughout the day so your metabolism is always churning.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
You need to jump start your metabolism with some food or meal replacement in the morning. Not to mention its stupid to train on an empty stomach because you are far less focused and energized. Wake up and make a whey isolate shake with yogurt, berries, and a scoop of peanut butter. Its always good to throw down some BCAAs too. This will give you energy to run harder and train longer therefore progressing more. Fasting is never good. Trust me I was a multiple time Southern Section champion wrestler and I know what training fasted does to you. You will always get more out of your workouts when you are fueled. As all good athletes do keep your meal portions smaller and more frequent throughout the day so your metabolism is always churning.
If I was you I would look into leangains. It's proven to work and has science to back it up. It's becoming quite popular on this board. I've had some of my best workouts while fasted. Each to their own tho.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I concur. I trained fasted over a number of months and did not eat for several hours after finishing training. Although other factors may have play a part, this was the biggest cause of my adrenal insuffeciency. After 3 months it left me in such a bad state that I needed a month off work and three months off from the gym. I have also noticed that now that I don't train fasted I can train harder and my body doesn't feel as exhausted following training.