Fasted running?

J.wayne

J.wayne

Awards
Ive been looking into the whole 16 hour fast thing but I do my running early in the morning around 6-7 and lifting later on in the evening @ around 6-7 pm. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure when I should have my "breakfast"

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fasted cardio is broscience. If you need to eat then do it. Eating can actually provide a thermogenic response.

J.wayne

J.wayne

Awards
Okay thanks man ill probably experiment with it and see how it feels. Just seeking out opinions

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
I don't think fasted cardio is bro science at all, actually notice better results on an empty stomach. You could do your cardio 6-7 like you said and start your eating window at 1-2 pm so you could eat after you train and make that your biggest meal of the day.

J.wayne

J.wayne

Awards
I tryed it out this morning and I felt great! Im still not hungry but im sure ill be ready when 2 o'clock rolls around haha so I should have my biggest meal after my evening workout or when I eat at 2? I just want to make sure I get it right.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
I tryed it out this morning and I felt great! Im still not hungry but im sure ill be ready when 2 o'clock rolls around haha so I should have my biggest meal after my evening workout or when I eat at 2? I just want to make sure I get it right.
Well you want to save your biggest meal for when after you lift, that's when the body really needs calories. How many meals are you trying to do? I assume you are trying to do IF right the 8 hour eating window, so you probably want to do 2 or 3 meals total. Either way you do it I would try and save at least 50% of your calories for after you lift.

J.wayne

J.wayne

Awards
Awesome thanks man thats exactly what I was asking!! I appreciate it!

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Awesome thanks man thats exactly what I was asking!! I appreciate it!
Np bro, I know quite a lot about IF so if you ever have a question don't hesitate to ask!

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
No need, the insulin spike can actually be counter productive for fasted cardio. Unless you are trying to do some fasted HIIT or something you won't be overtraining.. you will be fine.

PrimiFit

Awards
No need, the insulin spike can actually be counter productive for fasted cardio. Unless you are trying to do some fasted HIIT or something you won't be overtraining.. you will be fine.
Not debating here, but why would the insulin spike be counter productive for fasted cardio? By which mechanism?

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Not debating here, but why would the insulin spike be counter productive for fasted cardio? By which mechanism?
Because taking BCAA's spikes insulin, you are technically not fasted, for maximum benefit of fasted cardio you should do it on an empty stomach(if you believe in fasted cardio).

PrimiFit

Awards
Because taking BCAA's spikes insulin, you are technically not fasted, for maximum benefit of fasted cardio you should do it on an empty stomach(if you believe in fasted cardio).
You mean that spiking insulin lowers growth hormone and therefore negatively affects the fat burning?

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
The plasma levels of insulin will fall quickly once you commence running; it doesn't take much. How long is your morning run. I'm now doing 5k and BCAAs do help me. Why don't you try it - trust me you don't need to worry about the insulin spike!

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
The plasma levels of insulin will fall quickly once you commence running; it doesn't take much. How long is your morning run. I'm now doing 5k and BCAAs do help me. Why don't you try it - trust me you don't need to worry about the insulin spike!

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
I have experimented using BCAA's before morning cardio. I usually do 30-45 mins of LISS, I have noticed better results though without the BCAA's, maybe that's what works for me, it was recommended to me by rickrock and some other guys on here.. seems safe though, as long as you aren't overtraining, I didn't go catabolic without my bcaa's.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Morning fasted cardio is great if your goal is weight loss. Good tip would be to at least take a dose of bcaas or isolate protein to help fuel muscles if you plan on exercising for an extended duration of time. Or excessively overdoing the cardio workout. Most people stick to steady state cardio if they are attempting fasted training.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I have experimented using BCAA's before morning cardio. I usually do 30-45 mins of LISS, I have noticed better results though without the BCAA's, maybe that's what works for me, it was recommended to me by rickrock and some other guys on here.. seems safe though, as long as you aren't overtraining, I didn't go catabolic without my bcaa's.
Strange that...the BCAAs shouldn't cause the release of much insulin, typically people only use 10 to 15 grams. Also some people report better fat loss from using BCAAs. But I agree with you, they are not really needed especially for LISS. I just felt I could perform a better 5k run in a fasted state if I had consumed BCAAs.

PrimiFit

Awards
I've heard that taking your BCAA's in one go can elevate your insulin more, than if you sip it during your workout.

FYI777

Awards
Make it simple, and do as the buddhist monks do it, eat all you want before midday and then nothing,maybe some fruit ,but only fruit,not fruit juice. Whole fruit doesn't spike insulin levels.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Strange that...the BCAAs shouldn't cause the release of much insulin, typically people only use 10 to 15 grams. Also some people report better fat loss from using BCAAs. But I agree with you, they are not really needed especially for LISS. I just felt I could perform a better 5k run in a fasted state if I had consumed BCAAs.

It doesn't for everyone, but for many people, there are certain aminos such as glutamine in BCAAs which convert readily to glucose and can spike insulin. I remember this being an issue when I was doing a CKD. I didn't reach ketosis until I cut out BCAAs.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I understand what you're saying but if you train immediately after ingesting then the insulin levels will fall quite quickly.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
This is what I have believed and was told till my trainer told me I needed BCAA prior to fasted cardio. He is a professionsal and great so here is some free advice I lerned last week, take BCAA prior to fasted cardio. You are still fasted and the insulin produced by the BCAA's is not significant enough to impact the fasted cardio.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
It doesn't for everyone, but for many people, there are certain aminos such as glutamine in BCAAs which convert readily to glucose and can spike insulin. I remember this being an issue when I was doing a CKD. I didn't reach ketosis until I cut out BCAAs.
you dont have to take Glutamine with BCAAs.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you dont have to take Glutamine with BCAAs.

Sorry I mistyped. The glucosamine comment was true, but I meant that it's the isoleucine in BCAAs which can prevent or interfere with ketosis. Because of this, while on a keto-based diet, I only take leucine instead of BCAAs.

I've heard that spiking your BCAAs with extra leucine will also help to increase the leucine:isoleucine ratio which helps with the keto issue.