BMR and weight loss

rdent95

Awards
I just have a pretty simple question, which I am assuming is correct, but wanted to verify. I am eating pretty clean:

Breakfast .. 2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, salsa
1 pc Ezekiel Bread or 1 serving
Steel Cut Oats

Meal 2 Pure Protein 200 cal Bar

Meal 3 6 Oz chicken breast
1 Serving brown rice
Grilled asparagus or some veggie

Meal 4 Chicken breast or tuna or some fish
Grilled veggie, maybe some fruit
Possibly avocado

Meal 5 ON Casein , Blueberries & Cream
( My Desert)

And snack on 1-2 servings homemade nut mix
--- almonds , cashews, walnuts , bing cherries and cranberries.

My BMR is around 1950, I'm 44 and about 197lbs. I workout with weights 3-4 days, depending on the program, and run/sprints/cardio 3 days.

So the question ... If I lift and say 300 cal expenditure, so 1950 + 300 = 2250, to drop weight I eat 1850 / day at 40p/30c/30f macros, that is eating at the correct deficit of calories?

And cardio at 600 , would put me at 2150 cal's needed intake for that day? Thanks in advance for the help!!! Trying to get back to 12% or so bf from bulk, currently at about 17-18, was 13 before. Always learning...

uvawahoowa

Awards
I just have a pretty simple question, which I am assuming is correct, but wanted to verify. I am eating pretty clean:

Breakfast .. 2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, salsa
1 pc Ezekiel Bread or 1 serving
Steel Cut Oats

Meal 2 Pure Protein 200 cal Bar

Meal 3 6 Oz chicken breast
1 Serving brown rice
Grilled asparagus or some veggie

Meal 4 Chicken breast or tuna or some fish
Grilled veggie, maybe some fruit
Possibly avocado

Meal 5 ON Casein , Blueberries & Cream
( My Desert)

And snack on 1-2 servings homemade nut mix
--- almonds , cashews, walnuts , bing cherries and cranberries.

My BMR is around 1950, I'm 44 and about 197lbs. I workout with weights 3-4 days, depending on the program, and run/sprints/cardio 3 days.

So the question ... If I lift and say 300 cal expenditure, so 1950 + 300 = 2250, to drop weight I eat 1850 / day at 40p/30c/30f macros, that is eating at the correct deficit of calories?

And cardio at 600 , would put me at 2150 cal's needed intake for that day? Thanks in advance for the help!!! Trying to get back to 12% or so bf from bulk, currently at about 17-18, was 13 before. Always learning...
You aren't taking into account TEF (Thermal Effect of Feeding) or your daily activities outside of exercise (which will probably be around 20% of your BMR if you have a sedentary job, more if you are more active). Also, you don't need to eat at a certain specific daily deficit (so that you are constantly changing your daily calories)...you just need to average that deficit over a period of time.

I am about the same weight as you, and I cut at about 2500 cals...1850 would almost certainly be too low for someone your size. Reassess to account for the things above and see what you come up with.

rdent95

Awards
Thanks for the input. You know, when I up my cal's toward 2600 I actually gain rather steadily, so I am wary of upping beyond 22-2300 max. Maybe I have been low too long?
But I have def done my refeed type days, although not so clean on a regular basis. I alternate between eating super clean and eating clean 75% of the time. Couple months on/off..

When I look through the formulas I get between 1850-2500 or so like you said. I know some is personal metabolism, maybe mine is lower or I messed it up being so low on an average basis for so long..??

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
But do you gain steadily if your doing the 600kcal cardio burn?

rdent95

Awards
Saggy, good question... Apparently I'm a little late in my response....In the past no, but lately I have lowered cardio since my first cycle, was trying to put on mass, bad decision, gained a little fat also with non clean diet. Been eating clean for a bit, but never got cardio back to where it was before my first cycle. Use to do triathlons, lots of cardio. Now only sprint and hill training 60 minutes one day, which is probably more than 600, and one day of an easy 3 mile or so run. I am going to go back to some good HIIT twice a week ( which I used a monitor to tell me 500-700 kcal burn ) , and one day of running 3-6 miles. I am hoping to figure out a good cal intake for this cycle to lean bulk/recomp.

My understanding is that running a ph/ds at a caloric deficit was good to go, albeit a reasonable deficit, not 1000.... so that's my goal, run 500 or so cal deficit... Just trying to get my cal's right. With my limited cardio lately, I am stable at 2000 cal's with clean eating...

Thanks guys for chiming in...all advice is welcome.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Well you have to take in your activity factor on top of your BMR. Between 1.4 and 1.55 is usually how I do it. For a recomp on your cardio days eat less that this by let's say 200kcals for a start (adjust as weightloss stalls) and for your lifting days do the opposite 200kcals above ( adjust up as gains/ strength stalls). It's a slow process this way but if you plan to cycle it's a lot easier!