Gaining Weight Back After Stopping Keto Due to Water

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
So I'm thinking of switching to a keto diet, but I'm imagining it'd be pointless, because I'd drop about 10 pounds the first week just in water... then 1-2 pounds per week... then come off keto, rebounding about 10 pounds in water... and really only keeping OFF, the 1-2 pounds I lost per week... which I would have lost without keto... but maybe I'm terribly confused.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
If you used Keto Properly...you would have lost those "1-2" lbs (it would be more...depending on Caloric expenditure actually...) in pure fat and little muscle loss if performed correctly. So "gaining back" 10 lbs of water...would only be that...water...you would have still lost pounds of fat, I don't see why you wouldn't like to lose fat.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
I see your point, pal, but... BUT... and correct me if I'm wrong, because there's a 95% chance that I am.... but wouldn't I lose those 1-2 pounds/ week in pure fat with ANY diet as long as I do it correctly? If I eat a 40:40:20, or to low/ moderate/ high carb days, or do keto... no matter what my diet is, as long as it's done right, I should lose 1-2 pounds per week of pure fat... the only thing is, with keto, I have that initial 10 pounds of water loss... then the inevitable 10 pounds of water gain... it's just water, but who cares? What's the benefit of keto? You can lose 1-2 pounds of week no matter what, keto just has a big loss in the beginning and a big rebound at the end, no?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I see your point, pal, but... BUT... and correct me if I'm wrong, because there's a 95% chance that I am.... but wouldn't I lose those 1-2 pounds/ week in pure fat with ANY diet as long as I do it correctly? If I eat a 40:40:20, or to low/ moderate/ high carb days, or do keto... no matter what my diet is, as long as it's done right, I should lose 1-2 pounds per week of pure fat... the only thing is, with keto, I have that initial 10 pounds of water loss... then the inevitable 10 pounds of water gain... it's just water, but who cares? What's the benefit of keto? You can lose 1-2 pounds of week no matter what, keto just has a big loss in the beginning and a big rebound at the end, no?
You can lose 1-2 lbs in any kind of diet...problem being, unless you have a Bod Pod you won't know exactly what you are losing, if just fat and water (ideal)...or Fat+Muscle (Usually...)...or even worse water+muscle (detrimental...). Then again you can not know with certainty, but...Can you lose them on a normal diet sticking to the essential levels of protein and fats and merely subtracting from carbs? Yes you can. It is just a general belief of many that keto ensures PURE fat loss and spares muscle, not to mention it kills the bloat.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
But, unless you plan to keto literally for life, how disgusted with yourself are you as soon as you re-introduce carbs? 10 pounds of water isn't a little bit. BOOM. Your face is puffy, your abs are slightly blurrier, your forearm veins are almost gone... maybe that's just me, maybe I'm carb-sensitive, but man, if I had a great keto run, they'd have to put me on suicide watch as soon as I re-introduced carbs.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
But, unless you plan to keto literally for life, how disgusted with yourself are you as soon as you re-introduce carbs? 10 pounds of water isn't a little bit. BOOM. Your face is puffy, your abs are slightly blurrier, your forearm veins are almost gone... maybe that's just me, maybe I'm carb-sensitive, but man, if I had a great keto run, they'd have to put me on suicide watch as soon as I re-introduced carbs.
I have only immediately shredded out up to 4-5lbs when low-carbing...so I don't think its 10lbs. Most of that water gets retained by Glycogen which can hold 3x its weight on water...that being said, it is inside the muscle which makes it look more...WAY more pumped. I have always found myself too..."flat" on low carb or keto diets. Currently doing so and I feel like I am a toothpick lol. Trust me you are overthinking this, but I get it...I used to be a fatty too once, the fear of being a horrible being is always near, but you will learn our bodies are very resilient to getting back to fat-roots and we are so active it doesn't happen overnight.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Bah. Maybe I'll give Keto a shot. Kind of enjoying my low-mod-high cycling at the moment. Was just pondering for future reference.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
117codyawebb Nutrition / Health 10
Weight Loss 27
Jcoleman1 Bulking 15
TyMan14 Weight Loss 23
Bulking 15