Please Critique Diet

frofan

Awards
Give it to me harsh!

7:30 3 egg whites, 1 whole, 1/2 cup of oats, 1 cup skim milk, flax oil, fish oil (too much fat?)
9:30 myroplex MRP
12:30 chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice
2:30 chicken or turkey sandwich in wheat wrap
4:30 whey shake, carrots, and apple
5:00 WORKOUT
6:00 whey shake, banana, 1/2 cup of oats
7:00 chicken breast, baked potato, fish oil

Should I try adding flax to any other meals?

heavy

Awards
What are you trying to achieve? To me, regardless of bulking or cutting, you need more protein. I would also cut out the fats at breakfast. Here's why, You are coming out of a catabolic state, and your body is in a fat storage mode. You need complex carbs and protein, save the fat supplementation for later meals. Also, 3 eggwhites is useless...I eat 16 at breakky....

frofan

Awards
I would like to do a very clean bulk. I have no problem bumping the eggs, would it be ok to eat more yolks too? Where would you advise moving the fats to?

edit: Its right around 250 g protein, which is right around 1.5 x lean body weight

Last edited:

serengo

Awards
You are missing fresh veggies. Instead of fruit in the evening eat a serving of fresh vegetables. Broccoli, spinach, green beans, peas, some fresh greens, etc.

You can use egg replacements to get the protein and whole egg flavor w/o the yolks. I drink it right from the carton because eggs cook up with a lot of air in them. 1 carton of better-n-eggs = 8 eggs 98% egg white.

You can eat more fish then you don't need to supp the fish oil and you get the protein also. Lean red meat is ok as well.

The bottom line is that if you want to bulk you need to eat more real food. Clean means nothing DEEP fried and minimum of processed flour and sugar. Whole wheat pasta is good. You need to eat more calories, lower the fruit intake and eat it before noon.

Cottage cheese is a good evening snack as it takes a long time to digest casein and sticks with you through the night. If you don't like straight cottage cheese (fat free of course), try mixing 1 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup sugar free lime jello, and 1/2 cup sugar free lime yogurt. Makes a great dessert! (whip the jello and yogurt together with a fork or whisk till it's frothy then mix)

Maybe just add some flax to your oatmeal or shake once a day and then eat a handful of almonds, that and some fish should be enough good fats.

Good luck.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You can use egg replacements to get the protein and whole egg flavor w/o the yolks. I drink it right from the carton because eggs cook up with a lot of air in them. 1 carton of better-n-eggs = 8 eggs 98% egg white.
Egg protein doesn't become available until heat is applied to it.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only thing cooking does is deactivate Avidin which binds Biotin. It can also denature the protein with excessive heat over time. There were issues about cooking enhancing digestibilty for some:

Digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein in humans as assessed by stable isotope techniques.

Evenepoel P, Geypens B, Luypaerts A, Hiele M, Ghoos Y, Rutgeerts P.

Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Research Centre, University Hospital Leuven, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium.

...but raw eggs get absorbed just fine.

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How can anyone say he isn't getting enough protein? He lists lean protein with every meal, and no quantities.

If you are looking for a lean bulk, I like it. Personally, I wouldn't lose any fat on that diet (too many carbs), but for a lean bulk, it looks great. I would up the post workout carb consumption however (more oats).

If you are gaining 1/2 pound a week, you are money. More than that and you are eating too much. Less and you aren't eating enough.

serengo

Awards
How can anyone say he isn't getting enough protein? He lists lean protein with every meal, and no quantities.

If you are looking for a lean bulk, I like it. Personally, I wouldn't lose any fat on that diet (too many carbs), but for a lean bulk, it looks great. I would up the post workout carb consumption however (more oats).

If you are gaining 1/2 pound a week, you are money. More than that and you are eating too much. Less and you aren't eating enough.
I count approx 120 grams of protein from real food, the rest is from shakes/MRP
Approx. 49 grams total fat
Approx. 174 grams carbs
Approx. 1600 cals from food, not counting shakes/MRP.

Don't get me wrong, shakes and MRP's "count", but real food is far superior.

I was suggesting he drop one of his shakes as a meal and add real food, and also add some veggies as he is lacking folic acid,vitamins E,C, b12, also, calcium, iron, selenium, pantothenic acid, potassium, zinc, et. al. I am sure some of the MRP/Shakes are fortified which means though not deficient, it's not coming from food.

Food is the key. Shakes and MRP's are meant to supplement. if you eat 6 meals a day, half of them should not be shakes/MRP's one or perhaps two. I don't think his diet is terrible, he's obviously making an effort to get good fats, protein and some fruit.

An easy way to do this is to start with the "three squares" per day. Then add in two meals, in-between or perhaps an early breakfast, whatever works for your schedule. That is five meals of real food, add a PWO shake (which I personally think is their best use). Now you can supplement with bars/shakes/MRP's etc.

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How can you possibly "count" his protein. He says chicken. That could be 1 oz or 1 lb.

serengo

Awards
How can you possibly "count" his protein. He says chicken. That could be 1 oz or 1 lb.
I'm figuring 1 serving which is 8 oz. I usually eat at least 10-16 oz myself in a serving. If he's under 180lbs he probably eats a serving, if over he may eat more. Just trying to give him some helpful advice, Bro. I would find it hard to believe he's eating 1 chicken strip or three full breasts. Just making a reasonable deduction. I'm not trying to prove anything, the idea was to give as much helpful advice as possible with the given information.

I know something about nutrition and diet and I wanted to help the guy. I never claimed to be the omnicient diet guru, but hey, if anything less is going to get a lot of challenges and flaming, I will keep quiet.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
What do you normally eat when not bulking? It looks like you need more food.:whip:

frofan

Awards
Here is the complete break down. This will defenetly be enough calories for me to bulk. I will probably end up putting on some fat with this. Any other ways to clean it up or make this better?

7:30 4 egg whites, 2 whole, 1/2 cup of oats.......................407 cals, 16g fat, 35g carb, 30g prot

8:00 1 cup skim milk, flax oil, EFA.....................................231 cals, 16g fat, 12g carb, 8g prot

10:00 lean mass matrix, apple.........................................464 cals, 8g fat, 59g carb, 40g prot

12:30 chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice..........................308 cals, 2g fat, 22g carb, 38g prot

3:00 chicken or turkey sandwich in wheat wrap, EFA...........310 cals, 5g fat, 16g carb, 39g prot

4:30 100% whey shake, 1/2 cup oats...............................325 cals, 5g fat, 37g carb, 39g prot

5:00 WORKOUT

6:00 100% whey shake, banana, 1/2 cup of oats................463 cals, 5g fat, 72g carb, 41g prot

7:00 chicken breast, baked potato, 1/2 cup frozen vegies.... 474 cals, 2g fat, 63g carbs, 42g prot

Totals 3159 cal 60g fat 309g carb 311g prot

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It looks pretty good, but I think that I would add in some whey with your first meal since you have not eaten in 12.5 hours and need protein that will be put to use quickly.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
throw in a shake with casein protein or some cottage cheese before bed to keep yourself fueled over night

frofan

Awards
One last question. I'm going to try the low GI PW approach and see how that works. Should I take the banana out of that shake, or will it be fine? Would it be better preworkout than post workout? I would like to eat some fruit, but I'm concerned with the timing.

Is the apple going to be good to eat with the lean mass matrix mrp at 10:00?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I don't see a problem with the apple at 10:00, but you could switch it into your 7:30 am meal since your glycogen stores will be somewhat depleted over night. I think I'd go with the banana before your workout.