Carb intake

jason2304

Awards
I needed to cut up a tad and started doing a very low carb diet around 30-100 grams a day. Kept protein and fat high to help keep muscle loss at bay. I'm still around 230 and starting to get ripped. Strength has been awesome surprisingly. How long can I stay on this and not lose muscle? Cause to be honest I feel great.

mk3less

mk3less

Awards
I would run it till you stop seeing results or you start loosing strength. But that just me somebody might shime in with a more scientifically answer.

retrofitted

Awards
If following the guidelines of something like the Anabolic Diet with structured refeeds, I wouldn't be too concerned with muscle loss. I used a low carb protocol for over a year with good results, but for powerlifting I simply don't feel nearly as strong without at least moderate carbs on a daily basis. Your results will obviously vary.

jason2304

Awards
Thanks guys. I'm still feeling strong and full. Just leaner. I read on a site today that Arnold typically shot for 60-100 grams a day unless he was bulking. So I'll stick to it for a while doing carbs only post workout. I may try carb backloading come late fall. It sounds like guys are getting results off it. The old school guys did it too... Only they just listened to their body's and eat what they felt they needed. Funny how things come back around. Thanks again.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. I'm still feeling strong and full. Just leaner. I read on a site today that Arnold typically shot for 60-100 grams a day unless he was bulking. So I'll stick to it for a while doing carbs only post workout. I may try carb backloading come late fall. It sounds like guys are getting results off it. The old school guys did it too... Only they just listened to their body's and eat what they felt they needed. Funny how things come back around. Thanks again.
Yeah, I would add some refeeds twice a week, to refill your glyocogen stores, you won't gain fat with a proper refeed.

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
I agree.
Once per one or two weeks add some more carbs.
Do a refeed mode and than go straight to low carb./

jason2304

Awards
Week three started yesterday and I got my ass handed to me on hammer strength shoulder presses. Last week I did three plates a side for 8, no lift off. Yesterday I needed a boost and only managed a triple. And I had a decent amount of carbs over the weekend. I guess I gotta get used to a little strength loss. I'll do two refeed days this week at around 300 grams a day. Correct me if that's too much, or not enough. Thanks to all that have posted.