Calculating Calories needed to Bulk

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I think the general rule of thumb is to take your weight x 15, then add 20% if you're bulking or subtract 20% if you're cutting.

180lbs x 15 = 2700
2700 x 20% = 540
2700 + 540 = 3240 calories.

This is just a starting place though. Everyone's different. If you need to gain a lot, I would add a couple hundred more cals, but keep them clean.

If you're an ecto and have a physically demanding job and play a lot of sports, 3800 is probably a good place to start.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have found that if I know more accurately what my maintenance is then I just add according to the amount of weight I want to gain. For some those #'s in those formulas are way off. I'm an sedentary endo and maintenace at about 11-12xBW and tops.

Knowing most accurately maintenance will allow you to just add the calories that you want (500/d for 3500/wk for approx 1lb a week, etc.) rather than going by a general formula.

JMO

tommyboy

Awards
how can u easily figure out ur maintaince cals

I have found that if I know more accurately what my maintenance is then I just add according to the amount of weight I want to gain. For some those #'s in those formulas are way off. I'm an sedentary endo and maintenace at about 11-12xBW and tops.

Knowing most accurately maintenance will allow you to just add the calories that you want (500/d for 3500/wk for approx 1lb a week, etc.) rather than going by a general formula.

JMO