weight training to burn fat

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
today i'm gonna do something i've been wanting to try for a while now and that is devoting a weight training session for fat burning.
basicly the idear is you choose one compound movement for upper body and one compound movement for lower body and you do them for high reps (probly 12-20) and one right after the other as a superset. you could also do low reps for one movement and high reps for the other.

so:
hang clean and press/front squat for 5 or 6 supersets

to me it makes a lot of sense and it should work quite well because i think the weightlifting approach will put my body in a more anabolic state, as opposed to just running which i think puts you in a more catabolic state. this should make it easier to hold onto muscle and also by lifting weights and using my muscles i am giving signals to my body saying "hey, this muscle is important! don't break this down for energy" and encouraging fat oxidation hopefully. also combining upper and lower body movements should really send a shock to the CNS.

so just wondering what are your guy's thoughts on this...
yay or nay? :dunno:

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
I'd say go for it and see what happens. My leg days always consist of an olympic lift and squats/deadlifts and I'm usually drenched after those two exercises.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't really matter how you train as long as you are not over training. Yes lifting weights when you are trying to lose weight is VERY important, especially if you are trying to maintain muscle mass. To keep the muscle you have you have to actually USE your muscles. Whatever your training routine may be this has little to no impact on if you are bulking or cutting.

It comes down to your nutrition and weekly calorie deficit / and or surplus. Like I said before if you are trying to cut weight and maintain muscle I would recommend weight training 3 days a week and make sure you hit your squats/deadlifts/bench (fullbody movements).

Although one thing I might add is I feel like I gas out earlier on a calorie deficit due to lower glycogen stores. I use RPT(Reverse Pyramid Training) so I can hit it hard before I gas myself out. Either way weight train the way YOU like too, just make sure you aren't over training, hitting all your core exercises, and getting that weekly deficit and the fat will fall off.

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
hey brosephs, i tried the routine last night and woke up today and took a massive crap...
now i am 3 pounds lighter than yesterday lol weird, i think it was mostly water and a little fat

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
circuit training is a great way to burn extra cals during cutting

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
you can also look at some time under tension workouts for fat loss too, Charles Poliquin had some cool stuff on his site a while back talking about TUT and fat loss.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Multiple ways this can be done and every1 has their own favorite way.

TaNkD Up

Awards
GBC Training will always be my cutting routine and it adds mass for me, Try it !

epstaneman

epstaneman

Banned
Awards
When it comes to 'loosing fat' ....I think its very hard to do anything wrong when it comes to weight training. So long as you lift heavy it's all good. You can lift as many sets,reps, and work as much muscle groups as little/often as you'd like.

It's not till your trying to gain muscle that you have to be more organized with your routine. Do whatever you enjoy....consistency is key.

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
GBC Training will always be my cutting routine and it adds mass for me, Try it !
GBC sounds really good, but all the articles im finding are very confusing and the way they outline the workouts it looks like theyre doing 16 sets?

can you explain to me how to do it because i would like to try this?

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
clayface91

clayface91

Awards
[/QUOTE]

After a quick google search I found this. Take a read.[/QUOTE]

thanks mason, that was the exact article i looked at first, but what confused me is he says "9 sets for every major body part" so when i saw the chest/back routine i thought it would be 18 sets but i guess its just 9 SUPERSETS

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established

thanks mason, that was the exact article i looked at first, but what confused me is he says "9 sets for every major body part" so when i saw the chest/back routine i thought it would be 18 sets but i guess its just 9 SUPERSETS[/QUOTE]

NP man, looks interesting no doubt.

TaNkD Up

Awards
Something worth trying. Only use it for 6 weeks Max. Past that it doesn't help so much. I couldn't connect to article but I did it a little different and converted it to a upper/lower split. I only mention this because you can find it in full body which is the original way from poliquin the creator but I like upper/lower better personally for.a cut. Hope this helps good luck!

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think this is a good idea except I would add some sort of cardio. I would do high incline treadmill work for 45minutes 3 days a week at least. This will help burn the extra fat.

Bill_Dwyer

Awards
Should work, although off course it is very diet dependent. In my experience until you get into single digits the formula holds true:

caloric deficit + high rep compounds = quality fat burnin'

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
Should work, although off course it is very diet dependent. In my experience until you get into single digits the formula holds true:

caloric deficit + high rep compounds = quality fat burnin'
i like your style.. :cool:

TaNkD Up

Awards
Of course cardio. Fasted cardio is usually superior because you body is forced into using glucose(fat) for fuel

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think this is a good idea except I would add some sort of cardio. I would do high incline treadmill work for 45minutes 3 days a week at least. This will help burn the extra fat.
I'm trying the stairmaster 30 minutes 3 times per week... Trying it now, pain in the azz.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Do this. And you'll literally shred off the fat, espcially if you do it at a jog or above pace;

Of course cardio. Fasted cardio is usually superior because you body is forced into using glucose(fat) for fuel
Stored glucose is not fat.... stored glucose is called glycogen which is not fat

Rizzle

Awards
I always found that Glucose Disposal Agents helped me the most for this type of fat burning. GSAs do work as long as you take the right type of carbs. I choose to just eat a bunch of raw bananas with GSAs. Oatmeal also works, but I have had great success with raw bananas. When I take this preworkout, I'm able to lift heavier and build up muscle mass quickly, which in turn helps me to lose fat.

epstaneman

epstaneman

Banned
Awards
I always found that Glucose Disposal Agents helped me the most for this type of fat burning. GSAs do work as long as you take the right type of carbs. I choose to just eat a bunch of raw bananas with GSAs. Oatmeal also works, but I have had great success with raw bananas. When I take this preworkout, I'm able to lift heavier and build up muscle mass quickly, which in turn helps me to lose fat.

Raw bananas are much more rich in fiber and slow the digestion of the sugar in the fruit. Very good for blood sugar levels while trying to burn fat. I would turn to a much more fast digesting carb for pre/post workout. Or just have a regular yellow banana.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nay

Diet is a way more important factor than exercise WRT fat loss. Also, your proposed idea is not only a recipe for injury but just stupid. Do not use complex movements (especially as complex as clean and press) as conditioning tools. 20 reps of clean immediately followed by 20 front squats, and the. You do this for 6 sets.. Dare I say this is worse than crossfit

Mark1988

Mark1988

Awards
opinion

Only thing with this is you should always rest after a leg day, in my opinion. and a push and pull on same day i wouldnt do personally for the chest n back day. The concept of this workout does catch my attention but i would prob do a different workout. Its everyones preference tho.

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
Nay

Diet is a way more important factor than exercise WRT fat loss. Also, your proposed idea is not only a recipe for injury but just stupid. Do not use complex movements (especially as complex as clean and press) as conditioning tools. 20 reps of clean immediately followed by 20 front squats, and the. You do this for 6 sets.. Dare I say this is worse than crossfit
woah woah slow down my guy!
of course my diet is on track and i actually eat pretty damn well,
unfortunately that and lifting alone wasn't enough to get me very lean, contrary to what people on other boards have told me
this sounded like a good idea to me, and i tried it and it definitely got me sweating bullets even like 20 mins after the workout was done.
like i said in the post you can vary your reps> i did 6 reps for one movement superset w/ 12-15 for the other
with that being said if you still dont like it then perhaps you would like to share what you do to get lean?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
woah woah slow down my guy!
of course my diet is on track and i actually eat pretty damn well,
unfortunately that and lifting alone wasn't enough to get me very lean, contrary to what people on other boards have told me
this sounded like a good idea to me, and i tried it and it definitely got me sweating bullets even like 20 mins after the workout was done.
like i said in the post you can vary your reps> i did 6 reps for one movement superset w/ 12-15 for the other
with that being said if you still dont like it then perhaps you would like to share what you do to get lean?
Weight loss and gain comes down to your diet. You train to preserve your lean body mass, not to increase the rate of fat loss.

And I maintain that performing highly technical lifts while in a fatigued state in hopes of increasing fat loss is not only stupid but dangerous.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Just trying understand this, you're using bananas pre work out?

blueice

Awards
If you want to lose weight, add some weights. Its very important because it can speed up your metabolism when your muscle reach the anaerobic phase, it can lead to fat loss.