Diet & workout???

bmc6z06

Awards
Hey,

First time posting, but have had the app on my phone and I have been reading several threads on here for several weeks now.

I have a few questions as I'm trying to get back going again. I have not had a consistent workout for a couple years now!

I'm 24 and 5'8 around 185 LBS. Arms and legs are pretty toned still from working at FedEx but need to get rid of beer gut and man boobs!

My question is which way do I need to start going in order to gain muscle and most importantly get my body fat down! I have started my diet of:

Breakfast
oatmeal or egg whites
Snack
Tuna or protein bar
Lunch & dinner usually boneless chicken breast with cottage cheese and some type of veggie

As far as workout.... I do not have a gym membership at this time. However I have a weight bench and dumbbells at my house. I also have P90x and insanity that I have never used.

Any advice on what direction I should go on the diet, supplements and workout to produce the results I'm looking for would be great!

Thanks

Bubba74

Awards
Hey man,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you in the sense of getting started again. The best thing I can say is doing something is better than doing nothing. Use the P90X and Insanity to your advantage, start cracking out those work outs and it will get you moving in a direction, other than the couch lol

As far as your diet goes, I will let the other guys chime in cuz I am still working on mine. I do know that if you are looking to drop weight, find what you maintenance range is and drop 500 calories.

Good luck bro and keep us informed.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm 24 and 5'8 around 185 LBS. Arms and legs are pretty toned still from working at FedEx but need to get rid of beer gut and man boobs!
there is no such thing as being toned, its just the fat isn't that obvious there....
My question is which way do I need to start going in order to gain muscle and most importantly get my body fat down! I have started my diet of:

Breakfast
oatmeal or egg whites
Snack
Tuna or protein bar
Lunch & dinner usually boneless chicken breast with cottage cheese and some type of veggie
ok for starters, breakfast is just wrong. oatmeal is all carb, egg whites are all protein. they aren't an "or" thing as which you eat significantly affects daily macros. I don't see anything as far as healthy fats goes, and your hormones (testosterone included) are created from saturated fats - too low in fats and your hormone levels go down.

real world best diet advice? scrap this diet. list what you'd normall eat before this, and we'll improve on what normal is a bit at a time. The problem with a "diet" is that once you reach your goal, you are far more likely to revert back to old eating, and then in time old fatness. If you bit by bit change your normal eating in the right direction, its now your normal eating and there isn't an end to eating that way.

As far as workout.... I do not have a gym membership at this time. However I have a weight bench and dumbbells at my house. I also have P90x and insanity that I have never used.

Any advice on what direction I should go on the diet, supplements and workout to produce the results I'm looking for would be great!

Thanks
pick fat loss or muscle gain first, concentrate on that then work on the other. i'd suggest the fat loss first, it is initially more visible in a shorter time frame (you can lose 1lb of fat a week pretty easily, but you sure can't gain 1lb of muscle a week), plus being leaner will make muscle gains more visible.

bmc6z06

Awards
Hey man,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you in the sense of getting started again. The best thing I can say is doing something is better than doing nothing. Use the P90X and Insanity to your advantage, start cracking out those work outs and it will get you moving in a direction, other than the couch lol

As far as your diet goes, I will let the other guys chime in cuz I am still working on mine. I do know that if you are looking to drop weight, find what you maintenance range is and drop 500 calories.

Good luck bro and keep us informed.
Thanks,

I have kinda been jumping all over the place With my workout to figure out what works best for me. I'm definitely open to suggestions but limited to dumbbells,bench, p90X, and Insanity.

I have stuck with p90x for awhile but the Yoga is just brutally too dang long! Most say it's important for becoming more flexible and less injury prone.... But I struggle to stay interested pass the first 15 mins!

Good luck to you as well!

bmc6z06

Awards
there is no such thing as being toned, its just the fat isn't that obvious there....

ok for starters, breakfast is just wrong. oatmeal is all carb, egg whites are all protein. they aren't an "or" thing as which you eat significantly affects daily macros. I don't see anything as far as healthy fats goes, and your hormones (testosterone included) are created from saturated fats - too low in fats and your hormone levels go down.

real world best diet advice? scrap this diet. list what you'd normall eat before this, and we'll improve on what normal is a bit at a time. The problem with a "diet" is that once you reach your goal, you are far more likely to revert back to old eating, and then in time old fatness. If you bit by bit change your normal eating in the right direction, its now your normal eating and there isn't an end to eating that way.

pick fat loss or muscle gain first, concentrate on that then work on the other. i'd suggest the fat loss first, it is initially more visible in a shorter time frame (you can lose 1lb of fat a week pretty easily, but you sure can't gain 1lb of muscle a week), plus being leaner will make muscle gains more visible.
Unfortunately my diet before this consisted of fast food pretty much every meal. Im used to working 12-14 hour days plus school on top of that so drive thru has been the easy choice! I need to figure out more stuff I can cook at the beginning of the week like chicken breast. I definitely agree it would be easier to slowly adjust ones diet, but unfortunately I think I will just need to suck it up and realize fast food is how I got to this point! Open to any suggestions on different meals for the diet, I will have to just learn how to cook better!

You suggested fat loss first. What route should I take with the equipment I have as of right now??? Barbell, dumbbell, p90x, and Insanity.

Thanks for the help, I feel getting good info from you guys here will give me better results that will keep me motivated. Obviously I know nothing about dieting!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
still, there are more healthy fast food choices you can make. the biggest obstacles in dealing with a fat loss diet are not complying with the diet due to difficulty/lack of convenience, and beating yourself up over the times you are non-compliant :) Sort of same with the workout. People ask "what will be the best workout I can do getting started" and the answer is "the one you'll actually do". For most people at least for the first few months its mostly important to build the habit of regular workouts than really what their content is. 6 reps per set, 15 reps per set, mostly plyometrics, whatever, doing it is the important part.

So for specific meals, 2 real questions. Are finances tight to where the cost per meal is important? Are there any things you just won't eat?

realistically this sort of meal plan works nice + simply, and can be at least a bit interesting. sunday night you cook 3-4lbs of meat. it can be ground beef brown, grilled or baked chicken breasts, grilled or baked fish, shrimp whatever. cook 2 cups (dry) quinoa. cook 3lbs of broccoli. make all of those with no seasoning beyond some light salt + pepper. put those in tupperware, refrigerate it. then each day as you get ready to put meal together, take your decided portion of each, drizzle some olive oil over it and add whatever seasoning you want. microwave it to heat when you are ready.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately my diet before this consisted of fast food pretty much every meal. Im used to working 12-14 hour days plus school on top of that so drive thru has been the easy choice! I need to figure out more stuff I can cook at the beginning of the week like chicken breast. I definitely agree it would be easier to slowly adjust ones diet, but unfortunately I think I will just need to suck it up and realize fast food is how I got to this point! Open to any suggestions on different meals for the diet, I will have to just learn how to cook better!

You suggested fat loss first. What route should I take with the equipment I have as of right now??? Barbell, dumbbell, p90x, and Insanity.

Thanks for the help, I feel getting good info from you guys here will give me better results that will keep me motivated. Obviously I know nothing about dieting!
dang are u a driver at Fedex already? Haha I have been working at UPS for 2 years now and no where close to being a driver

bmc6z06

Awards
I guess the workout I'll stick with and actually do is probably a good place to start lol!

As far as diet goes, I feel like my cooking skills will be more of a problem than the money! I can cook certain things decent but not real experienced with how to buy something a certain way or how to prepare it in a healthy manner. I guess it will take time

Any supplements worth the time or money to enhance my energy or maybe help lose fat quicker?

Thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge! Visiting this site daily is motivation in itself!

bmc6z06

Awards
dang are u a driver at Fedex already? Haha I have been working at UPS for 2 years now and no where close to being a driver
Yeah I was a driver up until last March and I decided to get back into auto sales. I drove over 250 miles a day 6 days a week. FedEx ground has contractors that own the routes so it is a lot easier to walk in and get a drivers position. However since fedex ground you're working for a contractor instead of directly for FedEx. Pay is not quite as good as UPS....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I guess the workout I'll stick with and actually do is probably a good place to start lol!

As far as diet goes, I feel like my cooking skills will be more of a problem than the money! I can cook certain things decent but not real experienced with how to buy something a certain way or how to prepare it in a healthy manner. I guess it will take time

Any supplements worth the time or money to enhance my energy or maybe help lose fat quicker?

Thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge! Visiting this site daily is motivation in itself!
Props man, takes some nuts to admit stuf you been saying.
One thing I tell you is meat and potatos are not too hard to prepare. You can always eat tuna & chicken (deli) sandwiches as well as protein shakes & bars to fill in any gaps... I'm a banana & p-butter guy myself for snacking...

You also must experiment with what works for you in terms of food and work outs. Must people just need to be consistent & eliminate crap & they'll be 70% better off than when they started.

mls51112

mls51112

Awards
if you have any cooking questions, feel free to PM me!

bmc6z06

Awards
Props man, takes some nuts to admit stuf you been saying.
One thing I tell you is meat and potatos are not too hard to prepare. You can always eat tuna & chicken (deli) sandwiches as well as protein shakes & bars to fill in any gaps... I'm a banana & p-butter guy myself for snacking...

You also must experiment with what works for you in terms of food and work outs. Must people just need to be consistent & eliminate crap & they'll be 70% better off than when they started.
Thanks for the advice.. I have been hit and miss the last two weeks as far as workout and diet goes. Next Monday I plan to go 100% on the diet and workout. I plan on not killing myself with both so I don't get burnt out quick. Thanks for all the advice again!

bmc6z06

Awards
Alright so I have finally got myself on a good diet/ workout routine! My next question is using my supplements at the correct time.

I m on my 6th day of IF usually eating 2-10 PM. I eat my first small meal at work around 2 then I do not eat again until 7ish when I get home from work. With this smaller meal I drink a whey protein shake. After eating I immediately take 3-5g of allmax creatine and drink my White Flood. I usually wait about 30 mins or so before I start my workout, I drink Xtend during my workout. After workout I take another 3-5g of creatine. Finish up with my final meal and if I have time before 10pm I drink whey casein protein before I go to bed.

So to sum it up:
Whey protein 2:00 PM
3-5g creatine preworkout
White flood preworkout
Xtend intra workout
3-5g creatine post workout
Whey casein before bed

Any advice on my timing would be appreciated... I have always used protein and creatine but the other supps are new to me ...

Thanks

Brent