How do you add oats to your diet?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Just eat more oatmeal? I grind it up in shakes for PWO. I also tried putting it in cottage cheese today w/ splenda & cinnamin and it was pretty good.

What other meals can I put it in?

taffer

Awards
i just put it in a bowl with a spash of water and eat it raw most of the time :)

xXx

Board Supporter
Awards
Meatloaf! Simple & Easy
1lb Lean meat or ground white Turkey
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
1 package lipton onion soup
2 cups of raw oats(you can add more or less)

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
oat bran can be bought as well as oatmeal itself

fwiw, most oats you buy are "rolled oats". "steel cut" oats (which are also available) maintain more of the bran and the nutrtion, but do take longer to cook. they are a superior choice. they also taste better

a good way i like to prepare oatmeal is to make a porridge of:

oatmeal
milk (i use nonfat powder. cheap and convenient)
banana flavored micellar matrix protein powder
egg whites
banana slices
strawberry slices
sprinkle with blueberries
splenda

this makes a wonderful almost pudding like sweet breakfast cereal.

it's loaded with fiber, protein, anti-ox's, etc.

and it is totally "stick to your ribs" good

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
dump it in my protein shakes or put it into egg whites and cook it into patties. Then cover with Splenda/cinnamon/SF syrup.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
In my protein shakes, with milk. Add some ground cinammon too.

Sgt. Ownage

Board Supporter
Awards
oat bran can be bought as well as oatmeal itself

fwiw, most oats you buy are "rolled oats". "steel cut" oats (which are also available) maintain more of the bran and the nutrtion, but do take longer to cook. they are a superior choice. they also taste better
Where do you get your steel cut oats? I've checked all around town and the best I can find is a small, very expensive tin of steel cut oats. Any online sites to buy in bulk?

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I volumize it so it is more filling. Take extra thick oats, cook 3-4 cups dry weight per gallon on the stove like a stew. Stick it in fridge and let it cool and congeal (thickens it appropriately). I then use it however I want. I like to make savory stuff with it quite often. Treat just like refridgerated cooked rice.

Adding milk protein or casein works well ime.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
sgt. i don't remember where i bought my mccann's steel cut irish oatmeal.

probably netrition or dpsnutrition

do a search. lots of places sell them

serengo

Awards
If you want to add oats to your shake and keep the shake-like consistancy you can add baby oatmeal.

Whole Grain Oatmeal Cereal

No Genetically Engineered Ingredients
Organic
No Added Salt or Sugar
No Modified Food Starch
No Concentrates
Kosher

Organically grown, without potentially harmful pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers. Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 4 Tbsp. (14g)
Servings Per Container: 16

Amount Per Serving

Calories 60

Amount

Total Fat 1g

Sodium 0mg

Total Carb 11g

Dietary Fiber 1g

Sugars 5g

Protein 2g

% Daily Value

Protein 0%

Vitamin A 0%

Vitamin C 0%

Calcium 15%

Iron 45%

Vitamin E 15%

Thiamin 10%

Riboflavin 6%

Niacin 6%

Ingredients: Organic whole oat flour, rolled organic oats, tocopherols (vitamin E), alpha-amylase (enzyme), electrolytic iron.

TWO THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:

It is fortified with iron.

Your servings will be much larger than 4 tbs, about 1/2 cup, when you adjust for serving size the other nutrition quantities fall into line with regular rolled oats. This is expensive compared to just grinding up oats, but it makes a really smooth shake.

Physicist

Awards
I buy Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats. Also buy thier ground flax seed, rolled barley, muesli, pilaf, ect.... They've got an insane variety of whole grain foods.
They've got a website at http://www.bobsredmill.com/
Shipping prices might kill you, especially if you're getting 25lb bags of stuff.

My local not-walmart grocery store carries about 30 of thier products.

Right now I'm eating a bowl of steel cut oats with blackberries. Mmmmm.....

bulkmuscle

Awards
i just got a blender yesterday and i toss a cup of oats into my shakes now. no chunks, just smooth liquid, makes for eating oatmeal a lot easier.

taffer

Awards
today i decided to microwave my oats, then add whey (i usually just eat them raw with whey, and a bit of water)
and they tasted like 10000times better! unbelievable!

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Grind the oats in a coffee bean grinder then add to your shakes.

Bump on the Bobs Redmill products. My local grocery store carries the line of foods.

J_MAN

Awards
what oats do you guys buy to put in your shakes? everytime I've put oats (ground into powder) into my shakes it never really mixes in, its all grainy and then I end up with a bunch at the bottom I have to swallow.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
what oats do you guys buy to put in your shakes? everytime I've put oats (ground into powder) into my shakes it never really mixes in, its all grainy and then I end up with a bunch at the bottom I have to swallow.
I use the Quaker or Red Mill oats and grind them to a powder. Shake it up real good, and down it in one shot.

gsteclipse97

Awards
steel cut oats from the health food store ground up in my shakes

taffer

Awards
i just made some oatbars, oats, bit of oatbran, dried fruit, apple sauce, yoghurt or cottage cheese, i also added some honey for stickiness, they are in the fridge now, i wonder how they will turn out, my sister likes them :)

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Thee's a recipe around here for bars made with oats, natural pb, honey, and whey protein. I made them before and they turned out good. One time I made them w/ sugar free maple syrup, but I didn't like the heavy maple flavor.

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
In a blender w/ my protein shakes...real simple and I swear you can barely tell they're there

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
In a blender w/ my protein shakes...real simple and I swear you can barely tell they're there
do i just have a sucky blender then? Cuz everytime i do this i have to chew my shake, and all the oats end up at the bottom and i basically have to eat the bottom out with a spoon, **** is nasty

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
haha I guess so. I'm not one to savor my shake so I usually don't have to worry about the having too much time to fall to the bottom. This may sound dumb and I don't know if you do this already but try puttin the oats in first so they hit the blades before anything - maybe they'll get broken up a bit more

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Thee's a recipe around here for bars made with oats, natural pb, honey, and whey protein. I made them before and they turned out good. One time I made them w/ sugar free maple syrup, but I didn't like the heavy maple flavor.
Wardog bars a.k.a. sheesh bars. Good stuff!

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
do i just have a sucky blender then? Cuz everytime i do this i have to chew my shake, and all the oats end up at the bottom and i basically have to eat the bottom out with a spoon, **** is nasty
After I blend my shake with oats, I put it in a shaker bottle minus the strainer and just give it a quick shake in between sips.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
After I blend my shake with oats, I put it in a shaker bottle minus the strainer and just give it a quick shake in between sips.
good idea, thanks bro :thumbsup:

heavy

Awards
If your like me, you hate oats. But they are a necessity in my diet, to get upwards of 500g carbs, (complex) daily. I eat around 6 cups (dry) oats a day...I find that the best way is to microwave it so it gets just warm, with tons of water, so its real sloppy. You can down this in under 5 minutes, thats 120g carbs straight up.

taffer

Awards
i just tried a new brand of oats today, i think i love oats 100times more now :D

taffer

Awards
So what brand was it?

SR
im pretty sure its an aussie only brand, but its called "sunsine"
im pretty sure its only australian, because they are called "australian rolled oats" :p

however i was using the cheapest oats before, which werent bad, but i decided to try a different brand that was a bit more expensive (and yeah it was on special, im still a cheapo! :D) maybe just try a few different brands and see which one you like best!

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
I think i need a new blender as well...i usually add some milk to the bottom of my shake (as all the unchopped oats are stuck together there) swirl it around and kick it back...its not the tastiest shot but better than grain alcohol :icon_lol:

How much oats do most of you use in a single shake, i know i put usually around a cup or a little less?

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
Grind the oats in a coffee bean grinder then add to your shakes.

Bump on the Bobs Redmill products. My local grocery store carries the line of foods.
I know this is a little old now, but when you grind the oats up do they get oily or anything in the coffee grinder?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I know this is a little old now, but when you grind the oats up do they get oily or anything in the coffee grinder?

No they're dry. Don't worry, it won't hurt your coffee grinder.

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
Good, I dont want to use my blender multiple times a day. Cleaning it out sucks ass.

saywutrly

saywutrly

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I feel that this is a good thread for the new guys to read over. Oats are essential to gaining and overall health. The coffee grinder trick helped me to increase my daily oat intake threefold on average.

The oats will not ruin the grinder, but the trick is to keep going until you really get a powder. I grind a bunch at once and keep in a thick plastic bag (freezer bags work well). If you weigh them inside a few different leftover supplement scoops from your scoop stash, you can likely find one equal to a serving size. I found one which is exactly a serving by weight at two level scoops.

To avoid the clumpiness or all the oats sinking to the bottom, my best recommendation is just to get in the habit of swishing it around a bit before each drink is taken. This keeps everything evenly mixed.

I have also found that you can grind other seeds and grains for a more complex nutrient profile. Flaxseed, hemp, and sesame seeds all work well. Chia seeds will, however, make a thick, gelatinous mess as they thicken the shake up to almost solid. Anything else I've found shakes up perfectly as long as you grind the life out of it with the coffee grinder.

Volcanus

Volcanus

Awards
I don't own a coffee grinder, but making oat flour from rolled oats works quite well in my blender. I blend about a weeks worth at a time, similar to what you are doing. Aside from shakes, I've found that the ground up oats cook up similar to cream of wheat. And then I'll add a few scoops of protein powder for flavor. Not too shabby.

Snow3y

Snow3y

Awards
Edit: didnt see how old this post is.

Surely it can be closed.

saywutrly

saywutrly

Awards
  • Established
I don't own a coffee grinder, but making oat flour from rolled oats works quite well in my blender. I blend about a weeks worth at a time, similar to what you are doing. Aside from shakes, I've found that the ground up oats cook up similar to cream of wheat. And then I'll add a few scoops of protein powder for flavor. Not too shabby.
Funny that you'd mention about the blender--my roommate just advised me of the same thing today after trying it with my Ninja. Thats a good idea for the cooking as well. I enjoy cream of wheat-style porridge, but have not been consuming it lately.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Funny that you'd mention about the blender--my roommate just advised me of the same thing today after trying it with my Ninja. Thats a good idea for the cooking as well. I enjoy cream of wheat-style porridge, but have not been consuming it lately.
Blended oats are very similar to cream of wheat when cooked, which is on of my favorites too. Cream of Wheat on its own is also a great carb source.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
saywutrly

saywutrly

Awards
  • Established
Not trying to plug anything, but Rich Piana has a product with oats and a few other clean carb sources that mixes OK in a shake.
I find that its more cost effective to make your own grain flours. If you're into carb supplements, though, Karbolyn is the best one I've found for pre/intra-workout. No exaggeration, the rest of my body gets tired before my muscles when running it.

saywutrly

saywutrly

Awards
  • Established
Who cares?. Rich Piano is a douche. So many of you young guys just love swingin on his balls though.
LOL! I totally second this. I'm still relatively young, but not a fan.

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
Well before you two start strapping down on each others boners, show me one other body building labelled supplement that contains clean carbs without protein. Don't even worry about the oats, which it has.

saywutrly

saywutrly

Awards
  • Established
Well before you two start strapping down on each others boners, show me one other body building labelled supplement that contains clean carbs without protein. Don't even worry about the oats, which it has.
I literally just mentioned Karbolyn. Cutler Nutrition also has Total Carb. Neither contain oats, but I'd rather that paid-for blends contain stuff I can't include more cost-effectively on my own. I realize that the oats could quite likely be the reason you mentioned this product. We're just sick of hearing about Piana.