Trying to lose weight, what can I do besides Cardio?? - AnabolicMinds.com

Trying to lose weight, what can I do besides Cardio??

1. New Member
    Stats
    4'11"  168 lbs.

Red face Trying to lose weight, what can I do besides Cardio??

Hey everyone, I know this might sound stupid...but I just started working out like 2-3 weeks ago. I need to lose some weight....finally got the OK from my Cancer Doctor and have now been Cancer free long enough to start. So I changed my diet and am more aware of what I am eating...been doing 2 hours of Cardio, 3-4 days a week. Have lost 13 lbs....and feeling good. But...what else can I do?? I don't want to lift heavy weights because I can get really big, really fast....I played High School sports and was a small beast!!! lol But, I am older now, and I am a 4' 11" female...lol Not trying to look like THE HULK, just want to get fit. I am on my way to my 125lb goal....but want to be fit everywhere, not just lose the weight and look like a saggy old bag...LOL..... PLEASE HELP...

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Congratulations in overcomming Cancer. I'm sure that was a long struggle.

To answer your questions,
    You could lift moderate weights and/or do circuit style training with them. Lifting weights wont make you big if you are not eating for size; Ie you need a surplus in calories to grow muscle. While loosing weight you are in a calorie deficite and can only loose fat to show the muscle you already have.

So, if you want to do more i would look at doing a beginners weight session 3x a week. I think you will be okay. You could try 3 sets of 15 reps. This should help you tone up. You should choose a weight where you are starting to strugle by the 15th rep

I would do this routine 3x a week. Each exersise is 3 sets of 15 reps with a 40 second break inbetween sets and a 1 minute break beween exersises. This will keep your heart rate up.

Flat Dumbell press/pushups/ incline dumbell press (alternate between these each workout)
    Lat pulldown or Seated cable row (swap between these each workout)
    Seated Dumbbell shoulder press
    Seated dumbbell curls
    Standing tricep pushdowns
    Walking Lunges
    Straight legg deadlift or hamstring curls (swap between these each workout.
    Calf raises
    Plank/bridges (30 seconds each)
    Situps

This would be a good starting point. It covers most of the muscles in your body. Make sure you have a day off between each workout. You can google any of these and see how to do them correctly.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  199 lbs.

Replacing fat with muscle mass is the only way to prevent being a "saggy old bag" lol

Regardless of how you feel about putting on too much mass quick, I think with a lower bodyfat percentage you'll look toned and sexy not "a small beast" as you referred to it.

Diet is the key to successful weight loss, this has been my biggest downfall I have just recently realized. If you want this bad enough, choose a diet and make out a strict simple plan. Follow it for 4 weeks and you'll be surprised by the results. I'm currently starting the Palumbo diet (keto diet with high protein to spare muscle) its basic guidelines are 1.5gr protein per lean lb, and .5gr fat per lean lb. You could look into that and see if you'd like it.

Congrats on the good news and your progress so far! Keep at it.
    Truth
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    4'11"  168 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
    Congratulations in overcomming Cancer. I'm sure that was a long struggle.

To answer your questions,
    You could lift moderate weights and/or do circuit style training with them. Lifting weights wont make you big if you are not eating for size; Ie you need a surplus in calories to grow muscle. While loosing weight you are in a calorie deficite and can only loose fat to show the muscle you already have.

So, if you want to do more i would look at doing a beginners weight session 3x a week. I think you will be okay. You could try 3 sets of 15 reps. This should help you tone up. You should choose a weight where you are starting to strugle by the 15th rep

I would do this routine 3x a week. Each exersise is 3 sets of 15 reps with a 40 second break inbetween sets and a 1 minute break beween exersises. This will keep your heart rate up.

Flat Dumbell press/pushups/ incline dumbell press (alternate between these each workout)
    Lat pulldown or Seated cable row (swap between these each workout)
    Seated Dumbbell shoulder press
    Seated dumbbell curls
    Standing tricep pushdowns
    Walking Lunges
    Straight legg deadlift or hamstring curls (swap between these each workout.
    Calf raises
    Plank/bridges (30 seconds each)
    Situps

This would be a good starting point. It covers most of the muscles in your body. Make sure you have a day off between each workout. You can google any of these and see how to do them correctly.
    OMG ~ Great info. Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your help!
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

first of congratz on beating cancer!! thats amazing, start off one or two days a week with a moderate lifting..one day do uppers and the other lowers.. start small and work yourself in
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  6. New Member
    Stats
    4'11"  168 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jherman08 View Post
    Replacing fat with muscle mass is the only way to prevent being a "saggy old bag" lol

Regardless of how you feel about putting on too much mass quick, I think with a lower bodyfat percentage you'll look toned and sexy not "a small beast" as you referred to it.

Diet is the key to successful weight loss, this has been my biggest downfall I have just recently realized. If you want this bad enough, choose a diet and make out a strict simple plan. Follow it for 4 weeks and you'll be surprised by the results. I'm currently starting the Palumbo diet (keto diet with high protein to spare muscle) its basic guidelines are 1.5gr protein per lean lb, and .5gr fat per lean lb. You could look into that and see if you'd like it.

Congrats on the good news and your progress so far! Keep at it.
    Thank you!!! I really appreciate all your help and insight. I am using all the information I get and I just started to keep a journal. So....thanks, for everything. Can't tell you what it means! And thanks for not making me feel stupid for asking questions!!
  7. New Member
    Stats
    4'11"  168 lbs.

Still going to the gym everyday...sometimes twice on my days off. I know it's only been like 3.5 weeks, but lost 14 lbs so far. FEELING GREAT....so excited to keep going!! Thanks for all the support guys...xo
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  211 lbs.

I would look into Tabata and other HIIT regiments, full body workouts, as opposed to running as cardio. Make your actual workout the cardio. just my .02
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Congrats! My brother just beat lymphoma, docs still want him to do radiation, he wants to start training with me as soon as the docs say its ok and he feels ready.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    4'11"  168 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cokeholio View Post
    Congrats! My brother just beat lymphoma, docs still want him to do radiation, he wants to start training with me as soon as the docs say its ok and he feels ready.
    Good for him!! Its tough....hardest thing in the world I went through so far!! I will pray for him, stay supportive, Radiation and Chemo suck!! But..on the up side, Radiation isn't as bad as Chemo...so if its just Radiation....thats a plus. But even though they say there are hardly any side affects...they are wrong. It's like sitting in a Microwave...your skin gets burned, (at least mine did) and you feel totally zonked!! Sometimes your bones just hurt.....If he feels ready to work out...that is awesome and half of the battle. Can't even describe what that feels like when the Doctors say it's gone....I will pray it stays that way for your brother!!! Good luck....and God Bless you for being so supportive and loving to your Brother. <3
  11. New Member
    Stats
    4'11"  168 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smiththrs View Post
    I would look into Tabata and other HIIT regiments, full body workouts, as opposed to running as cardio. Make your actual workout the cardio. just my .02
    Thank you!!
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

The best advise I've been told long time ago was to have a written goal. What do you want to weigh and look like. Best lesson ever. If you start running down the road with out knowing wear your going how do you know you reached your destination? Good luck!
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Yeah it's amazing we thank god everyday, he had to do three rounds of chemo and then they said he was good but still want him to do the radiation

Similar Forum Threads

1. New to forum, need advice....trying to lose weight...
    By ilozoya3 in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 01:03 PM
  3. be a mommy and trying to lose weight
    By PoopiesWife in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 03:56 PM
  4. Newbie help at trying to lose weight
    By iceman320 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8