Cant not drop a single pound, what am i doing wrong? - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Cant not drop a single pound, what am i doing wrong?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member

Once again thanks to all..really learned a lot here through everyone's ideas, and I had to step back and rework my whole approach to diet and exercise here..

To be honest been feeling like crap lately the first two weeks were alot of fun, full of energy and the past two Ive felt a huge crash and fatigue no matter what Im taking. after learning about all this I had miscalculated my calorie intake big time i think,and had been starving myself in a way, guess I used a formula but didnt take into account my work out days..and I mean at least for me I have been killing myself in the gym , nothing less than two hours, no sitting around..straight doing and going to that from the couch potato I was is big for me.

Id been roughly like i said intaking 1500 cal on my rough take, and yes this meant starving myself at times. , I now see that number should have been closer to 2500...I did the calculations again can someone tell me if this sounds right.

Im 5'9, 31yrs, 210..BMR comes to be 2039..I has subtracted the 500 deficit withouht taking into account my activity, no wonder Im feeling weak.

If i use the Harris method someone above suggested..take my activity as moderate cause i do 5 days a week if not 6..comes out to 3160

3160 with at least a 20% reduction is 2528...2528 should be the calories I consume and still safely drop weight , does this sound correct? Should I go off of this, or is there more detail to this?

Thanks in advance

2. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

sounds good, but 2 hours in the gym? thats really too long
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    sounds good, but 2 hours in the gym? thats really too long
    Yeah like I said i Kind of jumped into this on a mission..I do about an hour of weight training , and maybe 10-15 minutes abs followed by 50 minutes cardio. Daily one day off...I was burning myself out, but when your sick and tired of being out of shape.haha I guess thats how it goes,

Definitely will take a step back, and redo my whole work out routine and especially diet. Any suggestions on not spending so much time in there, or is cardio everyday not good?

just want to make sure I got my calorie intake right this time. Thanks
    •   

4. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

well, an hour weight training isn't bad, but 10-15 minutes of abs is a waste, just include them as part of a workout day. that and drop cardio some. Overall getting past 75 minutes is where you start to get more cortisol effects, and so start losing more muscle.

or separate cardio completely, do an hour of it in the morning, and your strength training later in the day.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I wouldn't say he'd magically burn muscle after 75 minutes...

Either way if you are going to eat a couple hundred calories more, use (extra) cardio to compensate for it.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by theeboz View Post
    Yeah like I said i Kind of jumped into this on a mission..I do about an hour of weight training , and maybe 10-15 minutes abs followed by 50 minutes cardio. Daily one day off...I was burning myself out, but when your sick and tired of being out of shape.haha I guess thats how it goes,

Definitely will take a step back, and redo my whole work out routine and especially diet. Any suggestions on not spending so much time in there, or is cardio everyday not good?

just want to make sure I got my calorie intake right this time. Thanks
    Hey man,

Instead of doing 50 minutes of cardo, you could achieve a lot more with high intensity interval training. You only need about 15-20 mins.
    I like to use the stationary bike as an example as its easy on all the joints.

Warm up for 5 mins at a pace which you can talk. This is 90 rpm for me.
    I also set the resistance light enough so i can sprint without burning out my legs too quickly.
    Then after five minues use the first 20 seconds of each minute to sprint. I usually raise the RPM to 120+ (by the middle i am at 135 or 140rpm)
    Then drop back to 90 rpm for 40 seconds and repeat until the 20 minute mark.

Alternativly you could do a 30sec/30sec split and drop to 20/40 towards the end when you get tired. It depends on how fit you are. I think the 20/40 would be a good start and will be much more effective and less time consuming than slow cardio sessions.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.

2500 sounds a lot better for you, and I agree that your spending way to much time in the gym, mix up HIIT with steady cardio, I like to do HIIT on non-workout days because I'm not so shot from the workout, then do about 30 min of low intensity on workout days, just depends on how you feel, if your feeling burn out it may be because you are. Don't be afraid to take a day off, the rest usually helps more than hurts.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

HIIT is the way to go if you want to burn BF.

Performing alot of cardio is not catabolic and this view point is in serious need of revising. If your diet is in check then your body has no need to catabolize muscle and it doesnt want to.
  9. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    HIIT is the way to go if you want to burn BF.

Quote Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
    Hey man,

Instead of doing 50 minutes of cardo, you could achieve a lot more with high intensity interval training. You only need about 15-20 mins.
    I like to use the stationary bike as an example as its easy on all the joints.

Alternativly you could do a 30sec/30sec split and drop to 20/40 towards the end when you get tired. It depends on how fit you are. I think the 20/40 would be a good start and will be much more effective and less time consuming than slow cardio sessions.
    Ok I always did some form of HIIT while doing my cardio, I have since all these discussion adjusted my diet better, and cut back the cardio after work out to 30 min.

Now as far as HIIT , on page 2 someone explained why low intensity cardio would be better to burn the fat after weight training than HIIT , it made sense just as it has always made sense that HIIT also does a good job at fat burning, so now Im confused a bit.

After weight training would 25-30 of low intensity be better for fat buurning weight loss purposes or 15 min of HIIT?
    Or should I stick to low intensity on wieght trainng days and HIIT alone on say my off day or ab day?

My schedule with work family and school, does not allow me to split up cardio and weights during the day as some people suggest weights in the morning cardio in the evening, I only have one shot a day to get this done, which is why i do the 6 days a week every morning I try to take advantage of the precious time I do have that's why I do the 2 hours or so.

EDIT: it was fueledpassion's post that states on page 2
    " Correct, low intensity cardio is best for fat-burning. The reason is quite simple..."

That makes sense to me, but now im confused, I know i shouldn't look too much into it and analyze everything, but Ive been doing that with no results, I want to make sure i get the most out of the time I have busting my as$
  10. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Now as far as HIIT , on page 2 someone explained why low intensity cardio would be better to burn the fat after weight training than HIIT , it made sense just as it has always made sense that HIIT also does a good job at fat burning, so now Im confused a bit.
    other than the fact that he's wrong, sure. He uses a logic path which makes sense to get there, but real world scientific studies show differently. 2 minutes of REAL HIIT causes as much additional fat burn over 24 hours as 30 minutes of low to moderate intensity does. the HIIT jacks up your metabolism for hours, which is superior for some of what he talks about even in his post. your rate of lipolysis is limited. The energy burned over 24 hours is more important than the energy burned for a half hour.
    This space for rent

11. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

After weight training would 25-30 of low intensity be better for fat buurning weight loss purposes or 15 min of HIIT?
    Or should I stick to low intensity on wieght trainng days and HIIT alone on say my off day or ab day?

My schedule with work family and school, does not allow me to split up cardio and weights during the day as some people suggest weights in the morning cardio in the evening, I only have one shot a day to get this done, which is why i do the 6 days a week every morning I try to take advantage of the precious time I do have that's why I do the 2 hours or so.
    well, is it possible to jiggle around 15 minutes for the cardio separately? I'm not sure for instance why you couldn't move around some of the rest of your schedule, even if it means going to bed and waking up a half hour earlier/later? or is it that you feel like you need to do the cardio at the gym vs home?
    This space for rent

12. New Member

well, is it possible to jiggle around 15 minutes for the cardio separately? I'm not sure for instance why you couldn't move around some of the rest of your schedule, even if it means going to bed and waking up a half hour earlier/later? or is it that you feel like you need to do the cardio at the gym vs home?
    Yeah thats kind of the issue, would prefer to get everyhting done at the gym,more practical as space at the house is limted .

But your right shouldnt be too hard to make some time, what I meant I dont have the time to make the drive to the gym and do a whole seperate work out of an hour or more but 15-20 minutes shouldnt be tough... like I said whatever it takes.

Now would you recommend doing some HIIT seprately at night time, or after my weight training?
    For instance what sounds better,
    Weights-cardio-morning... hiit at night or
    Weights-Hitt-morning...or weights alone and some hiit at night
  13. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

doing 10-15 minutes low to moderate intensity cardio after a workout isn't a bad idea. its a bit of a cool down, a little bit of stretch, and does burn a little bit of calories. then HIIT later. really if you can do past 10 minutes of real HIIT, then you are doing pretty well
    This space for rent

14. New Member

doing 10-15 minutes low to moderate intensity cardio after a workout isn't a bad idea. its a bit of a cool down, a little bit of stretch, and does burn a little bit of calories. then HIIT later. really if you can do past 10 minutes of real HIIT, then you are doing pretty well
    thanks Im on it!!..gonna rework my methods here and find some good workouts i can do at home with no equipment for the HIIT.

Any suggestions on that, if not its cool Ill search for some.

By the way Im gonna PM you about a whole nother subject ..thanks again
  15. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

just sprinting really works. if you've got a sidewalk with telephone poles, run as fast as you can between one pole and the next, then turn around and walk back to the start. Then repeat. And I mean as fast as you can, no holding back
    This space for rent

16. Professional Member

other than the fact that he's wrong, sure. He uses a logic path which makes sense to get there, but real world scientific studies show differently. 2 minutes of REAL HIIT causes as much additional fat burn over 24 hours as 30 minutes of low to moderate intensity does. the HIIT jacks up your metabolism for hours, which is superior for some of what he talks about even in his post. your rate of lipolysis is limited. The energy burned over 24 hours is more important than the energy burned for a half hour.
    Actually easy, we're both right. Lower intensity cardio tends to pull a greater percentage of its energy from fat cells rather than glucose, but higher intensity cardio demands more oxygen and thus burns more fat in the same amiunt of time due to the energy expenditure. Either way is good and effective but the ojly benefit low intensity would have is the fact that u can perform much longer durations of it compared to high intensity.

So low intensity pulls a greater percentage of fat cells but high intensity has a much greater rate of oxidation thus burning just as much if not more fat cells in the process since considerably more energy is consumed. The point is that cardio is the only effective way to burn fat. Anaerobic exercise is not. And either form of csrdio would be best done in a csrb-depleted state to further accelerate fat burning.

One substantial benefit of high intensity cardio is vascular density. Vascular density is necessary for muscle growth especially when u r approaching ur genetic limit.

I did not mean to imply that low intensity is the only way. I'm still learning like everyone else and I promise my source of information is legit like no other. There are just alot of exceptions to every rule in fitness and health.
  17. Professional Member

Actually easy, we're both right. Lower intensity cardio tends to pull a greater percentage of its energy from fat cells rather than glucose, but higher intensity cardio demands more oxygen and thus burns more fat in the same amiunt of time due to the energy expenditure. Either way is good and effective but the ojly benefit low intensity would have is the fact that u can perform much longer durations of it compared to high intensity.

So low intensity pulls a greater percentage of fat cells but high intensity has a much greater rate of oxidation thus burning just as much if not more fat cells in the process since considerably more energy is consumed. The point is that cardio is the only effective way to burn fat. Anaerobic exercise is not. And either form of csrdio would be best done in a csrb-depleted state to further accelerate fat burning.

One substantial benefit of high intensity cardio is vascular density. Vascular density is necessary for muscle growth especially when u r approaching ur genetic limit.

I did not mean to imply that low intensity is the only way. I'm still learning like everyone else and I promise my source of information is legit like no other. There are just alot of exceptions to every rule in fitness and health.
  18. Professional Member

And regarding the metabolism, that is a good point that I did not consider.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.

thanks Im on it!!..gonna rework my methods here and find some good workouts i can do at home with no equipment for the HIIT.

Any suggestions on that, if not its cool Ill search for some.

By the way Im gonna PM you about a whole nother subject ..thanks again
    Jump rope, sprinting, combination of body weight movements that will jack your HR up like burpees, you can get creative and do different work outs everyday so you don't get sick of one. If you have a bike that is my favorite, rolling hills...sprint up...recover down, repeat till you fall off.
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Correct, low intensity cardio is best for fat-burning. The reason is quite simple.

Your body cannot break down the fat molecules and use them for energy quick enough for high-intensity exercise such as flat-out running and anaerobic exercise such as heavy, moderate-paced lifting. So instead of pulling from fat reserves, the body actually pulls from glucose reserves for HIT purposes. In fact, the body cannot pull from fat energy in high intensity and anaerobic exercise.

If the exercise is slow and steady and therefore much less demanding of energy, the body can use fat cells as it's primary source of energy during such. Granted, it can pull from either glucose or fat but this is why I said to train low-intensity after heavy lifting so that your glucose levels are rather low. Otherwise train in the morning before eating, where again the glucose levels are low. It is also important to note that when you lift weights, your body secretes more testosterone, epinephrine and T3 to metabolize fat molecules. This process takes 30-60 minutes to take it's full effect which is another good reason to consider cardio after weight training.

I'll go ahead and explain briefly why carb cutting is a big no no in bodybuilding. As you can imagine, we need plenty of carbs for the HIT stuff like weight-lifting and circuit training of the sort since our body cannot resort to fat for fuel during this type of exercise. But we also need little to no carbs remaining in the system for cardio in order to pull from fat reserves exclusively. When you cut your carbs, you actually aren't providing greater opportunity for fat burning. Sure, you'll lose weight - just not good weight. If you cut carbs, expect to lose 1 pound of muscle for every 2 total pounds of weight. This is why people generally get weaker on keto and carb-cycling diets. I'd also mention that not only are they catabolic to the skeletal muscles but also the heart, which is dangerous. You should never need less than 1g of carbs per lb of body weight - period. If those carbs are clean, this is more than enough carb cutting to maintain most of your muscle and still effectively burn fat. Honestly, if you have the timing and diet correct, you can bulk and cut simultaneously by targeting fat cell usage at certain times during the day while still eating enough carbs to adequately provide the constant fuel the muscles require. Don't believe me? I've been cutting for 3 weeks now while eating 300+g of carbs every day with my 175g of protein. Granted, I eat very little dietary fats but I replace them with MCT. Anyways, I've gotten leaner and heavier.

Dieticians never bothered to tell online forums why we should cut carbs or increase carbs depending on our goals. We do all of this to manipulate the insulin to glucagon ratio, which determines everything when it comes to whether or not you build muscle or lose fat. That ratio should change depending on the goal of fat loss or muscle building. Protein and carb intake has a direct relationship with the ratio, so as you can imagine eating a certain ratio of carbs vs. protein can easily put us where we need to be.

Hope this helps. I long-winded. I know.

Also, I understand that alot of people on this board do not agree with half the statements above. I can easily find documented studies indicated such results. There are also tons of other sources that explain the metabolic science of the body which you will find is congruent with what I am saying here.
    Actually this is not true, HIIT is the best way to lose fat mass. Yes, low intensity cardio will derive most of its fuel from fat, but the total VOLUME of fat burned is lower than an HIIT workout. HIIT burns more total fat during and also creates an 'afterburn' which elevates metabolism.
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Of course fuelledpasion isnt wrong, but I would much rather do 15 minutes of HIIT after lifting (before would f*** me over and ruin my workout haha) than 2 hours low intensity work. And think of all the extra calories you burn at rest afterwards with the heightened metabolism
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.

The article quoted is some pretty old school stuff, athletes have moved into more HIIT based routines for the past several years. To me the proof is in the pudding. Compare a Marathon runner and a Sprinter, immediate conclusions are that both forms of running burn fat but only one burns muscle. My Opinion is that both forms should be used in moderation to help give me more all around fitness, my old body can't take HIIT every day.
    If your truly doing HIIT the advantage is you get a lot more bang for your buck, you can wipe out a big mac in 10-15 min, where steadying jogging is going to take you around 30-40 min. The disadvantage is it is painful!
    IMO combine and moderate=success
  23. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion

That is why 10-20 minutes of low intensity is good right after, to burn up any spare fatty acids currently in bloodstream
    This space for rent

24. New Member

I believe the "oxygen" reference is to EPOC correct? Something like exercise post oxygen consumption?

I go back and forth on hitt vs liss. I really like the bear complex for burning fat, 135lbs for 4x5 and you will be drenched in sweat and lungs on fire if you do it as fast as you can.
  25. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Actually this is not true, HIIT is the best way to lose fat mass. Yes, low intensity cardio will derive most of its fuel from fat, but the total VOLUME of fat burned is lower than an HIIT workout. HIIT burns more total fat during and also creates an 'afterburn' which elevates metabolism.
    I mentioned exactly what ur saying sometime later after that post...I am aware of the total volume of fat burned can be hiher with HIIT rather than low-intensity.
  26. Professional Member

That is why 10-20 minutes of low intensity is good right after, to burn up any spare fatty acids currently in bloodstream
    Good after anaerobic or good after HIIT?
  27. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Good after anaerobic or good after HIIT?
    I think just after anaerobic, but it might have some advantages after HIIT, even just as a cool down. 12 minutes of HIIT followed by 15 of LISS doesn't sound bad
    This space for rent

28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I mentioned exactly what ur saying sometime later after that post...I am aware of the total volume of fat burned can be hiher with HIIT rather than low-intensity.
    I read that after I posted haha
  29. Professional Member

I think just after anaerobic, but it might have some advantages after HIIT, even just as a cool down. 12 minutes of HIIT followed by 15 of LISS doesn't sound bad
    I did low-intensity cardio for a 1 mile run yesterday morning, followed by 3 pole-to-pole sprints (about 100 yrds each) in HIIT.

...I just about died lol. My heart has been out of condition for years now. On a positive note, my legs are so much stronger now than they were years ago and I was fast!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Powerfull - What am I doing wrong?
    By halljo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 11:55 PM
  2. What am I doing wrong? Clogged filter?
    By AgentOrange in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 10:07 PM
  3. injections-what am i doing wrong?
    By jeff33333 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:28 PM
  4. What Am I Doing Wrong?
    By Chad in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:40 AM