Cutting weight for wrestling

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
Cutting fat while gaining strength for wrestling? Ideas anyone?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
oh boy i dont miss those days, running the bleachers in sauna suites to make weight, damn near fully dehydrated....

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
Yeah wearing trash bags and starving myself I do not envy you Dani. Really depends on how long you have you can google search boxing cutting routines. If you are on season there isnt really a healthy way to cut alot of weight.

How long do you have? How much do you have to cut?

oh boy i dont miss those days, running the bleachers in sauna suites to make weight, damn near fully dehydrated....

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
Yeah wearing trash bags and starving myself I do not envy you Dani. Really depends on how long you have you can google search boxing cutting routines. If you are on season there isnt really a healthy way to cut alot of weight.

How long do you have? How much do you have to cut?
I have plenty of time.. Till November. But the thing is I'm 168 right now and am going for 160. Can't go 170 or 182 bc the 2 best guys that are on my team are going those weights and they are really amazing wrestlers. So 160 it has to be. I want to put on a lot more strength before the season starts also. Currently doing stronglifts 5x5 for strength and doing daily sprints on the field behind my house

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
Do you know your bf%?

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
Start doing HIIT atleast 4 times a week. Have your caloric intake be 200 above maintenance. Keep lifting heavy. On non-lifting days lower your caloric intake to just your maintenance caloric intake.

Try and do explosive movements, some of the scariest wrestlers to wrestle were the ones who were powder kegs. They would just explode and you would be on your ass. You should really focus on strength and speed, in your weight class.

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
Start doing HIIT atleast 4 times a week. Have your caloric intake be 200 above maintenance. Keep lifting heavy. On non-lifting days lower your caloric intake to just your maintenance caloric intake.

Try and do explosive movements, some of the scariest wrestlers to wrestle were the ones who were powder kegs. They would just explode and you would be on your ass. You should really focus on strength and speed, in your weight class.
This is what I have been doing actually thanks for the advice. This is good because I do not have money for wrestling camps(my parents make me pay for them myself) and I already have a good base of technique so that should be good

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
You will have to cut more calories closer to your season if you aren't getting close to your weight requirements.
Intermittent fasting is also a good option for trimming down a bit. Also dropping your carbs a bit.

This is what I have been doing actually thanks for the advice. This is good because I do not have money for wrestling camps(my parents make me pay for them myself) and I already have a good base of technique so that should be good

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards

This is good because I don't have money to pay for wresting camps, but do have a pretty good technique base

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
Any more tips for developing on one hand killer cardio and on the other explosiveness?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Any more tips for developing on one hand killer cardio and on the other explosiveness?
Hill sprints, pushing a prowler, HIIT, etc. Hold off on roadwork until you get closer to the season, like a couple weeks from the beginning of the season. IME, long runs are good for dropping weight, but the interval training more closely mimics the ebb and flow of a wrestling match. Eight pounds off with this many months until the season is nothing, bro. I used to walk around at 205 and wrestle 171. Not that I'd recommend it...

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
Hill sprints, pushing a prowler, HIIT, etc. Hold off on roadwork until you get closer to the season, like a couple weeks from the beginning of the season. IME, long runs are good for dropping weight, but the interval training more closely mimics the ebb and flow of a wrestling match. Eight pounds off with this many months until the season is nothing, bro. I used to walk around at 205 and wrestle 171. Not that I'd recommend it...
Wow that's a big drop

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
True it's not much but I plan on gaining more muscle from my weightlifting