Complete beginner looking to start losing weight or gaining muscle.

A

aza116

Awards
I'm 19, quite overweight, fat and not much muscle.

I weigh around 225lbs and I'm looking to start either losing weight or gaining a lot of muscle but I have no idea where to start :p

Could anyone possibly give me some pointers where to start?

Like what my diet should be like etc

Thanks,

Aaron

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
start losing weight, try to start exercising 1-3 times a week and consume roughly 2500 cals, i calculated a rough TDEE for you, you may have to track and record what you eat and start counting calories.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm 19, quite overweight, fat and not much muscle.

I weigh around 225lbs and I'm looking to start either losing weight or gaining a lot of muscle but I have no idea where to start :p

Could anyone possibly give me some pointers where to start?

Like what my diet should be like etc

Thanks,

Aaron
Best place for anyone to start is to first concentrate on gaining quality muscle through resistance training (lifting weights).

First, get your conditioning in order. Start doing cardio regularly 4-6 times a week for a few weeks. Clean up your diet. Ditch the sugared drinks and any processed foods and fried foods. A couple decent diet suggestions to familiarize yourself with include the anabolic diet or the paleo diet (just don't buy into the alarmist hype that paleo tries to push on you - the food choices they recommend are sound, however).

Once you have done cardio for a few weeks, it's time to get into the gym and modify your diet accordingly. Eat lots of protein (250-300g would be a good place to start for you), and think about eating 2500-3000 calories during this phase. I would experiment with a lifting program such as WS4SB, Stronglifts 5x5, or Starting Strength. Familiarize yourself with how to perform the compound lifts which are the basis of these programs: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html

Good luck, and keep asking questions.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
Start a simple weight lifting program start at 3 times a week work your way up to 5-6.

Do cardio 3 times a week work your way up.

Cut out processed foods.