Can't Lose Weight On Low-Carb Diet?!

oscarBravado

Awards
I've just recently got back into the game after quite some time out. I jumped on a CKD to get rid of some stubborn bodyfat and bring down a couple of %'s. Thing is, I'm 3 weeks in and still no change on the scales. The mirror is kinder but I'm one of those people that like to see the cold figures. My question is, with all the gains I've lost in mass and strength since I stopped lifting - surely now as soon as I start again my body cannot be recomping at such a pace whereas the numbers don't even budge?!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your not losing weight on a low carb diet, its because your eating more calories than your burning.

You still need to be on a caloric deficit even on a low carb diet to lose fat.

oscarBravado

Awards
Hmm, I'm not sure how I ain't losing weight...I'm not eating much.

4 whole eggs - Breakfast
200g ground beef - pre-workout
200g ground beef - dinner
tin of tuna - before bed

I cycle every morning for 30mins before breakfast. + 1 hour lifting in the afternoon.
The Ketostix read that I was very deep into Keto (80+) last week. Since my carb up I haven't been able to get back into Keto. Nevertheless I haven't lost any weight, perhaps just a pound in a month - it's just frustrating as hell.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How many calories total? You wanna try cutting an additional 350-500 calories and see what happens.

As you cut, your leptin levels go down and your overall caloric maintenance also goes down as your metabolism slows down.

Keto-sticks arent a great tool for measuring ketones. You dont have to actually excrete ketones in order to be in ketosis. You can even eat 100 grams of carbs in a day and still be in ketosis and show nothing on the sticks.

You either take a break from dieting, or cut back even more on your daily calories.

ludbg

ludbg

Awards
this is weird. i usually don't eat ground beef only once every two weeks and its the super lean one. beef is really high in sat fat. i stick with chicken its much cheaper too. i had only 1 carb up day. on that day i do 50g carbs in breakfast, 100g carbs lunch, and 100+g dinner cheat meal subwayetc then start keto again next day.
my meal plan has worked great.

breakfast(8am): 2 whole eggs w/ spinach omlet +1scoop 0 carb whey shake
lunch(1pm): 100-150g chicken breast, 100g cottage cheese, 1/2cup broccoli
pre-workout 5g bcaa
workout about 5pm
postworkout 5g bcaa, 5g glutamine w/ 1.5scoops 0 carb whey
dinner (7pm)100-150g chicken breast, 100g cottage cheese, 1/2cup broccoli

if I'm hungry ill eat handful of almonds between breakfast and lunch. 1 fish oil cap with each meal.
this is about 30g carbs per day

oscarBravado

Awards
Total calories - 1,710kcal of which fats are 117grams and protein is 125grams. Carbs are not an issue, I highly doubt I'm getting even 5g.

I just feel like I'm wasting my time doing something wrong. I'm a dedicated person so if someone can put me on the right track, I'll stick with it.
I'm 200lbs (153LBM) so I'm not hitting my protein macros, I know but I'm afraid that raising protein will raise carbs or fats also and with so much misinformation on the internet I thought my body wouldn't burn fat with high protein.

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards
this is weird. i usually don't eat ground beef only once every two weeks and its the super lean one. beef is really high in sat fat. i stick with chicken its much cheaper too. i had only 1 carb up day. on that day i do 50g carbs in breakfast, 100g carbs lunch, and 100+g dinner cheat meal subwayetc then start keto again next day.
my meal plan has worked great.

breakfast(8am): 2 whole eggs w/ spinach omlet +1scoop 0 carb whey shake
lunch(1pm): 100-150g chicken breast, 100g cottage cheese, 1/2cup broccoli
pre-workout 5g bcaa
workout about 5pm
postworkout 5g bcaa, 5g glutamine w/ 1.5scoops 0 carb whey
dinner (7pm)100-150g chicken breast, 100g cottage cheese, 1/2cup broccoli

if I'm hungry ill eat handful of almonds between breakfast and lunch. 1 fish oil cap with each meal.
this is about 30g carbs per day
200G of ground beef is probably providing you with an additional 15-25g of fat...each time you have 200g of it. That is considering that your eating 96% lean ground beef. If the beef you are consuming is 80% lean then you are consuming about 35g of extra fat.

That means an additional 225 calories you need to account for each day from 96% lean ground beef. And an additional 315 from 80% lean ground beef.

200-300 calories can make a difference in a diet. Your probably consuming more than you think you are. I would suggest getting some tilapia, it's cheap and has almost no fat. Much better protein source, IMO. and then refigure your diet up a little bit....see how many calories your actually consuming compared to what you think!

Good luck!l

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Total calories - 1,710kcal of which fats are 117grams and protein is 125grams. Carbs are not an issue, I highly doubt I'm getting even 5g.

I just feel like I'm wasting my time doing something wrong. I'm a dedicated person so if someone can put me on the right track, I'll stick with it.
I'm 200lbs (153LBM) so I'm not hitting my protein macros, I know but I'm afraid that raising protein will raise carbs or fats also and with so much misinformation on the internet I thought my body wouldn't burn fat with high protein.
Up protein and drop fats a touch, by making protein 1g/lb bw and rest is fats and lots of greens

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards
Just saw that your eating tuna, also.

Consider the sodium level in tuna you could be susceptible to holding some extra water weight. Don't let the scale lie to ya if it's just water!

oscarBravado

Awards
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Quick question - how can I drop my fats and up my protein without letting more carbs into my diet? I'm guessing substituting the ground beef for lean chicken breast while drinking EVOO to make up the fats?

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards

Quick question - how can I drop my fats and up my protein without letting more carbs into my diet? I'm guessing substituting the ground beef for lean chicken breast while drinking EVOO to make up the fats?
Swap your protein source to something lean. That will decrease your fats and likely put your calories closer to where they need to be. I wouldn't advise increasing them if your weight isn't dropping and your carbs are already low.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards

No no. More simple than that.

Eat variety of meats. Pick lean grass fed steak and fowl use whole eggs.
When using lean cuts, cook with butter/coconut oil. Fattier cuts on low carb days (but unlimited broccoli etc) don't add fats to meal.

Simple= lean cuts (add fat) and cook with fats (not olive oil)
Fatty cuts = no extra add for fats

Mario56

Awards
Top Ten Low-Carb Diet Mistakes

1) Getting Off on the Wrong Foot
2) Giving Up Too Quickly
3) Not Enough Vegetables
4) Not Enough Fat
5) Not Enough Fiber
6) Eating Too Much
7) Lack of Planning
8) Getting into a Rut
9) Problem Ingredients in "Low-Carb" Packaged Foods
10) Carb Creep
Bonus #11) No Exercise
SO Don't do this mistakes and you can loose Weight On Low-carb Diet.

Ratiocinative

Awards
A low carb diet may help cut cravings, but it won't allow you to defy the laws of thermodynamics. Calories In - Calories Out = Weight Gain/Loss. If you aren't losing fat then you're eating too much.

Also, keep in mind that there are things that can effect your weight besides fat. How much water you've drank/expelled recently, how much food is in your gut, and muscle glycogen. Eating more massive food, like vegetables, will cause you to weight more until it is expelled as waste in a day or two. If you want to lose say, 20 lbs, then you'll have to deficit ~70,000 calories. Don't be fooled into thinking that losing a whole pound one day means you actually lost a pound of fat if you only deficited 500 calories. If you deficit 500 calories then you lost ~1/7th of a pound of fat, and any other weight change is due to the aforementioned variables.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Not true, if you optimize hormone production. Drink Whole Milk, eat high protein foods, low carbs - but what carbs you do eat should be complex, get some multi-grain breads for histamine release; which will lean you out as well. Keep estrogen levels lower by drinking acidophilus yogurts or tea's to eliminate estro from the gut, then use a mild AI.
No milk!!!!!
Just eat greens, fermented veggies ie sauerkraut and lots of free range meats and good organic fats

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not true, if you optimize hormone production. Drink Whole Milk, eat high protein foods, low carbs - but what carbs you do eat should be complex, get some multi-grain breads for histamine release; which will lean you out as well. Keep estrogen levels lower by drinking acidophilus yogurts or tea's to eliminate estro from the gut, then use a mild AI.
But if you eat too much calories from multi-grain breads and drink too much yogurt you will gain weight, not lose weight no matter how optimized your hormone production is.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Well yes I am not saying OD on those foods, I'm just saying include them for their individual benefits.
What is the benefit of.bread over sweet potato?
None!just more processed and artificial crap our body does not need.
Stick to natural low calorie, but calorically dense veggies.
Broccoli kale etc eat til hearts content. Protein at atleast 1g/lb bw fats at .44g per lb of bw and carbs from greens make up most of the remaining deficit

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
No, don't overlook the capacity of histamine. Histamine is a potent cAMP stimulant and upregulates B-adrenoreceptor function leading to greater fat loss. It is proven that the leanest and low bodyfat people have moderate-high histamine levels. You need multi grain breads and folic acid containing foods to increase histamine. Certain veggies also contain folic acid so they are good too, but excess fruit and vegetable in comparison to protein intake results in low histamine.
10xProtein::5xFruits/Veggies::1xCarbs
Ratio Optimal
I advocate mod to high protein for recovery and growth

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nate321 Weight Loss 11
Qonix Weight Loss 9
Weight Loss 7
Female Fitness 20
Weight Loss 20