Morning Truth, Myth, and What Does It Mean?

1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Morning Truth, Myth, and What Does It Mean?

As I understand it your metabolism is highest in the morning and gradually decreases over the course of the day. Is this true? One guy I know says that's why he eats like a pig in the morning and tapers the eating at the end of the day.

Seems to me that if true you could and should technically eat more in the morning, but the choice of what you eat is just as critical so chowing down on ten fried eggs on whitebread wouldn't be a good idea.

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.14%

This is why most of complex carbs are consumed early in the day ex.oatmeal whole wheat toast,and most guru's suggest no carbs after 6pm..The theory is that most activity will be during the day and that is when you need the most energy.At night the body goes into more of a rest and growth state so less fuel is required..
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.93%

I say that if you've trained, you need to replenish glycogen. If your glycogen stores are full, you don't need much carbs. Simple as that.

If you've replenished glycogen last night, why would you need carbs this morning? Your body is in fat-burning mode already. Eat protein, maybe some carbs, low, low GI and you're OK.

You need big protein meal a couple hours BEFORE training, so that digestion takes the aminos to your blood stream for when you're done, and that you need carbs AFTER the workout, for insulin and glycogen.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.78%

damn TM is one hot ass girl
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.06%

Guys, your body does not know what time it is. Make sure that you eat for your activity, ie if you train at night, eat carbs around the time you train. As long as you do this, you won't get fat. I never understood the carb cut-off idea at all unless you have already trained a lot earlier in the day.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.93%

bronx220 man, gimme a gurl like that, I don't care how insane or manipulative, I'll be faithful, I swear. I pray morning and night

But SureShot, I think research has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that your body does know what time it is. But of course, physical activity is a much more important determinant of nutritional needs than "time of day", for sure.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.06%

Your body knows activity, it doesnt know "i cant eat carbs at night because people say it will make me fat." If you are sitting on your ass, then its simple, eat less since you do not need the fuel. But if you are working out at 7pm, your body will need carbs afterwards, and you will not get fat if you slam a protein and carb meal then go to sleep, given that you worked out at night.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I agree that your body knows activity patterns. Whatever time it is not nearly as important as knowing how to adjust for whatever activity level you are currently at. It so happens most of us are considerably more sedentary in the evenings and sleep at night, so our activity patterns are similar and eating less at night makes sense. Bottom line IMO: time is not important, what you are doing at that time is
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.06%

Quote Originally Posted by jweave23
    I agree that your body knows activity patterns. Whatever time it is not nearly as important as knowing how to adjust for whatever activity level you are currently at. It so happens most of us are considerably more sedentary in the evenings and sleep at night, so our activity patterns are similar and eating less at night makes sense. Bottom line IMO: time is not important, what you are doing at that time is
    My thoughts exactly.
  10. board observer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.96%

For what it's worth, Berardi has made some good arguments about consuming almost all of your carbs in the time period from directly before your workout to six hours after your workout. That's when you want carbs the most and when they have the smallest chance of being stored as fat.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.06%

Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    For what it's worth, Berardi has made some good arguments about consuming almost all of your carbs in the time period from directly before your workout to six hours after your workout. That's when you want carbs the most and when they have the smallest chance of being stored as fat.
    Thats because your body is going to use them for fuel, once again, eat for your activity, carbs around the workout are very important.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Women and the Cold Shoulder: What does it mean to YOU?
    By Irish Cannon in forum General Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 12:39 PM
  2. What does it mean when you're pissing blood? (not me)
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 04:38 PM
  3. Increased TSH, what does it mean?
    By Anarchy939 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 01:27 AM
  4. What does it mean when my nuts hurt like crazy?!!
    By raytrade in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 11:28 AM
  5. What does it mean if, when doing squats, your lower back hurts?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 01:52 AM