Postworkout Shake

Y

your2slow

Awards
I usually use whey isolate and several scoops of gatorade for my postworkout shake. I'm thinking about adding maltodextrine, but I see quite a few threads where people use ground oatmeal instead. What make oatmeal better? I thought the purpose was to get some fast absorbing carbs and protein in the body and also to peak your insulin level so the protein would be absorbed more completely. Am I completely wrong on that?
I'm also curious if everyone thinks whey isolate is superior to blends for postworkout shake uses. It seems if we're slowing the absorbtion using oatmeal and/or milk that the blend would serve the same purpose, but be significantly cheaper.

N

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
I usually use whey isolate and several scoops of gatorade for my postworkout shake. I'm thinking about adding maltodextrine, but I see quite a few threads where people use ground oatmeal instead. What make oatmeal better? I thought the purpose was to get some fast absorbing carbs and protein in the body and also to peak your insulin level so the protein would be absorbed more completely. Am I completely wrong on that?
I'm also curious if everyone thinks whey isolate is superior to blends for postworkout shake uses. It seems if we're slowing the absorbtion using oatmeal and/or milk that the blend would serve the same purpose, but be significantly cheaper.
There has been quite a bit of discussion of this here and on other boards, but there are many different theories. Bobo believes in the oats and lower GI carbs. Many other boards tout malto and dextrin and high GI carbs. Personally I use malto, and I tend to agree with your idea of absorbtion being slowed with the oats, though I am certainly no expert on these things. Search around and try to come to your own conclusion.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
From what i understand (gleaned from others here) it is not necessary to spike insulin PWO as your muscles receptivness to nutrients has already been increased from the act of working out itself. Read the threads, very informative... and entertaining.

Y

your2slow

Awards
I tried a search last night and didn't see the post workout carb thread, sorry about that. It appears my post workout shake method is all wrong. I'll have to get a coffee grinder and some extra oatmeal.
As for the whey isolate vs. whey concentrate/blends it appears from the threads I can find that the isolate is absorbed a little more quickly and more completely than the concentrate. Is it worth the extra money to stick with the isolates for those reasons alone or can you really see the same results with either?

Thanks for the feedback.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Your2slow... i just throw the oats in my pwo shake and blend it, no need for a coffee grinder.. but some do...

I guess it depends on when your cosuming your shake, id say whey is good first thing in the morning and pwo as it is rapidly absorbed, the rest of the time i rely on whole food.

C

Chunky

Awards
2slow, no I dont think it is worthing the extra cost of isolate. Allthewhey blends, 40$ one 10 pounds is just fine IMO :)

C

cbcortez

Awards
Hi guys, im not so sure, but did Bobo put up an article on low gi oats being better than hi gi malto + dextrose?

Ive been arond the boards and have decided way back to switch to oats for post workout, but i cant remember the arguments that convinced me they were better....i cant remember them to save my own life! and i cant even remember which part of the boards i read those....

im getting damn old!!!

can anyone point in the right direction?

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I like to use sh!t that otherwise is better avoided post workout. Why not treat yourself, at the one time when carb splurging is a good idea? Bagels, muffins, crappy cereals, pancakes, hell...cookies (just kidding!)--but some of that stuff is fine. I'm looking for 60-80g fast carbs with my whey protein. That way I get to have some fun without f#cking up my eating plan. Then I go back to slow, clean carbs most other meals.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
First off, my view is that triggering a large insulin response is secondary to replacing muscle glycogen and supplying extra energy for repair/growth. Your body releases extra insulin when you consume more energy than you need at that time.

Secondly, by blending oatmeal down finer, you will be increasing its absorption.

Lastly, you can always start your WO nutrition sooner if you are using slower carbs. Take a shake with you to the gym and drink it during...

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
if you're anal, I'd advise you to mix 24oz of pineapple juice (my personal favorite) with 3 scoops of unflavored or vanilla whey, drink 8 oz before the workout, sip lightly during the workout and finish it off after the workout. Then you can go have your oats if you want.

S

Stingray

Awards
Nitrox,

There is a thread in the nutrition section on oatmeal in which Bobo cites a study that indicated that oatmeal does not increase in GI as it gets chopped up finer and finer. It also stated that this was true for oatmeal only, not for wheat.

SR

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
My current post workout shake:

5 ice cubes
8Oz 1% milk
1.5 servings Optimum Whey
2 tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
1 Banana
1 serving ground dry oats.

Tastes great.

720cals 62g protien, 72g carbs, 23.5g fat

I know the PB isnt ideal (fat and carbs) but Im trying to bulk and I need the cals - working well so far!

BV

K

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
60-80s of high gi carbs pop, gatorade, koolaid. maybe a small taco or something.

wait 30min

then eat a massive balanced meal with emphasis on protein.

mmmm 4 lbs of tilapia in olive oil and lemon juice( this evening after a slaving pulling WO) hehe ((((people always make fun of how much i eat.))))
I bet I will stop when I buy my house $$$$$$$$$

then a pint of ben and jerrys. i forgot,,,,, not to good for cutting,...
friday+cheatday= freeday yeahhh!!!

i am a freak

C

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
4 lbs?

you know your body has limits on what can be digested at a time, right? unless you have 5x the intestines of a normal person your wasting food. but to each his own...

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
4 pounds of tilapia = ~400g protein + some fat. I'd probably break the tilapia into two meals, but two large protein meals a day along with milk/yogurt/misc protein will probably do you fine.

K

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
4 pounds of tilapia = ~400g protein + some fat. I'd probably break the tilapia into two meals, but two large protein meals a day along with milk/yogurt/misc protein will probably do you fine.
thats what i was going to do ,
i am telling you it was so juicy OMG was it delicious.

i did eat it over the course of an hour or so, i was watching a movie.
I just started eating right, like overloading protein to 500.

dude i am gaining like i am ON bigtime, strength is going good,
too bad i start my M1t / 1t cyp / 4ad cyp cycle on thur.
It is going to be INSANE!!!

BTW walmart sells eggs - 80 for 5 bucks ...hell yeah!

J

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I have been focusing more on pre (and occasionally during) workout nutrition as far as shakes are concerned lately, and sticking with real food post workout. Lean protein, moderate GI carbs, and no added fats should do you right IMO. Something like chicken breast in a wheat pita, that sort of thing.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
6 scoops of whey + 4-5 cups of peach juice (depending on workout length), 10 grams of creatine and distilled ice water for consistency, sipped before and during, a real meal a couple hours afterwords, makes ya huuuuuge :D

Oh yeah, don't forget the dbol :rofl:

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Distilled ice water? Im going to have to try sipping on protien during the workout - usually I have a shake with some low-gi carbs before hand, and another with a mix of low and high gi carbs post.

BV

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Distilled ice water! Or rather, ice cold distilled water - blunts the taste of the whey a tad (though it tastes ok mixed with peach juice), also when you are mixing 6 scoops of protein with 4-5 cups of juice it becomes sludge :D

Supposedly the body can synthesize about 1-1.5g/glycogen/minute, so that is the optimal amount of carbs to take in during the workout, more being counter productive or at least not useful.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Supposedly the body can synthesize about 1-1.5g/glycogen/minute, so that is the optimal amount of carbs to take in during the workout, more being counter productive or at least not useful.
Very interesting. What flavor protein do you mix in with the peach juice?

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I made a shake last night using vanilla whey mixed with a peach nectar (Kerns). Not the best to have due to the frutcose content in the juice, but it was all I had with me. It turned out to be the best damn tasting shake I've had. I just poured the juice and whey into my bottle and shook it up.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Get trader joe's all natural peach juice, no added anything. Thus, it's basically full of sucrose (which is half fructose yes) however keep in mind that liver glycogen is used during training sessions, so refilling this is not a bad thing.

Jguns at CEM keeps harping on how it raises cortisol post workout, but IIRC that study compared fructose vs glucose after exercise, I doubt you would see that effect with a sucrose vs glucose comparison.

And it just tastes SO much better than a dextrose + whey + whatever-non-fructose-containing-drink-you-wanna-put-here mixture, eech.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

5 ice cubes
8Oz 1% milk
1 Banana

Tastes great.

I know the PB isnt ideal (fat and carbs) but Im trying to bulk and I need the cals - working well so far!

BV
Excuse my ignorance. But I've always heard that the point on having whey protein after a workout was to have some fast release protein. So don’t you think mixing milk with whey in our post workout shake will slow down the absorption of proteins and therefore be counterproductive? :think: I was already confused with post workout High or Low GI carbs, now I'm also confused with milk and whey.... :frustrate

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Excuse my ignorance. But I've always heard that the point on having whey protein after a workout was to have some fast release protein. So don’t you think mixing milk with whey in our post workout shake will slow down the absorption of proteins and therefore be counterproductive? :think: I was already confused with post workout High or Low GI carbs, now I'm also confused with milk and whey.... :frustrate
I think whey is good anytime. Granted, food would often be BETTER, but I'm a member of the camp that believes that you can overcome that deficit in quality with quantity.

B

bigpump23

Awards
this is what i do and i belive it's the best in-between option. Scoop of whey and a weight gainer scoop. Now the weight gainer full servings is 3 scoops, i take 1 scoop which is about 20 g's carbs 200 cals and throw it in, therefore I get the maltodex but that a lower amount. Works good for a lean bulk

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
this is what i do and i belive it's the best in-between option. Scoop of whey and a weight gainer scoop. Now the weight gainer full servings is 3 scoops, i take 1 scoop which is about 20 g's carbs 200 cals and throw it in, therefore I get the maltodex but that a lower amount. Works good for a lean bulk
Hey man, if you can bear the taste, more power to you. I think 100-150g of carbs will be good for most guys, spread over pre, during and post workout, depending on how long and intense your workout is.

Fastflight

Fastflight

Awards
  • Established
I´m more and again and again convinced from a hydrolisate-shake post workout containing appr. 3gr- of Arginine and a added scoop of Glutamine-peptide.

I mix the two while the´re dry et comme-ca,even the peptide dissolves easily
together with the well dissolving hydrolisate.

I can literally fell the gh-output and gettin´ horny after drinking it.

it´s also advisable to get your carbs and I´m also gettin hungry after that drink,so
I eat some carbs and that´s taken care of,too.

C

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any of you guys tried using Barley instead of Oatmeal.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Uncooked barley could be used as ammo in BB guns.

Besides the fact that it takes forever to cook, barley has a stronger taste than oats and I can't imagine putting it in a shake.

C

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dont know if you heard of the appliance called the "chopper" it can chop anything into the finest powder. In my morning shake i use 1/3 cup oatmeal 1/3 cup barley 1/4 cup ground flax seeds 1/4 cup wheat germ. I put it all in there chop it up, you can pack this stuff like a snow ball. Taste isnt bad at all when a banana is added. Chopper is a pretty cool appliance, I buy steaks and turn them into hamburgers in a matter of seconds.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established

5 ice cubes
8Oz 1% milk
1 Banana

Tastes great.

BV
From what I have read in many other places, is that milk is not a good mixer for a pwo shake. Water is better because it causes higher absorbtion rates. Milk has to be broken down and digested where water does not.

loner

loner

Awards
if i am on a weight gainer, i find that they work the best.Maltodextrin,dextrose and fructose along with a large ammount of whey,it works fine for me.A few hours later and my muscsles are all swelled up and dense.i usually take in about 100 grams hi gylcemic carbs and about 50 grams of protein.