Need help, getting off the couch again!

cameronman223

Awards
I used to workout and run 3-4 times a week an I am almost 16 but since school and other activities have started up I haven't been working out...but now summer is almost here and I have more free time.
Can someone help me create a workout plan and how many calories I should be taking in?
I can give all the details that you need

sshuss

Awards
Your 16 just go have "fun" workouts why make it a chore call your buddies and play some football or basketball, or go for a bike ride before you get that drivers license cause you'll probably never step foot on a bike again lol...Why run on a treadmill or a stationary you'll have the rest of your life to do that... Trust me i'd do anything to call up my buds again and just play some hoops last time that happened it took about a month of planning to get baby sitters and for all of us to be off work etc.... Take advantage while you can bro..Stay active and have fun the rest will take care of itself..

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Add in cardio. Just like the above one said... u can also prolly make it fun cardio... BUT IT DEPENDS.
What's ur goal? bodybuilding or just ur own fitness/shreading for summer? What are ur measurements right now (weight n height included)? What's ur diet right now (if nothing fixed, a rough idea of foods will be goods...)

cameronman223

Awards
Haha I do like having fun!
I want to build mass an I also want to shred for summer to look good, but I want to have long term benefits and actually have lean muscle and not just muscle mass
I am 5'10" and weigh 177 pounds, unfortunately not all of that 177 is muscle!
An I trying either having scrambled eggs or raisin bran for breakfast, I always have a peanut butter and jam for lunch with sun chips, grapes or apple, and a chocolate pudding and I have no set dinner but try eating healthy whatever it may be

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Jam and chocolate is a bit unhealthy try to minimal their use... U need to cardio up then... U need to built a good base for longterm benefits (it will benefit in shortterm also). do your workouts, add in compound movements, solid meals and don't forget your cardio... Try to start from a moderate intensity cardio for about 30 mins... see how it goes, then u can even up the level if you want to...

I was busy the last couple of days so I couldn't reply... Hope you read this, post a reply if u have anymore questions or anything more to discuss.... I will love to help anytime... Goodluck

Swordfish II

Awards
Haha I do like having fun!
I want to build mass an I also want to shred for summer to look good, but I want to have long term benefits and actually have lean muscle and not just muscle mass
I am 5'10" and weigh 177 pounds, unfortunately not all of that 177 is muscle!
An I trying either having scrambled eggs or raisin bran for breakfast, I always have a peanut butter and jam for lunch with sun chips, grapes or apple, and a chocolate pudding and I have no set dinner but try eating healthy whatever it may be
Building muscle and getting lean are for the most part counter-productive. Your diet sucks. For most people I would say to find an online BMR calculator, and figure out your daily calorie expenditure, how you react to carbs etc. Since you are 16 though, your body is coursing with hormones and your BMR is likely changing with puberty. For you I would say ignore the specifics and just shoot for at least 1.5g of protein a day per lb of body weight.

Swordfish II

Awards
Jam and chocolate is a bit unhealthy try to minimal their use... U need to cardio up then... U need to built a good base for longterm benefits (it will benefit in shortterm also). do your workouts, add in compound movements, solid meals and don't forget your cardio... Try to start from a moderate intensity cardio for about 30 mins... see how it goes, then u can even up the level if you want to...

I was busy the last couple of days so I couldn't reply... Hope you read this, post a reply if u have anymore questions or anything more to discuss.... I will love to help anytime... Goodluck

You really didn't provide anything of worth in that post

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
??? He's just getting started so he SHOULD know the different foods and their types and he should stick with compound movements and he should also do a moderate intensity cardio! And That's what I told him!

Rather than telling someone that their diet SUCKS at their starting stage, one should tell em a lil that what should they avoid!
One time you say "YOUR DIET SUCKS" then u say "Ignore the specifics and just shoot for 1.5g protein per lb of your bodyweight"!!

Swordfish II

Awards
??? He's just getting started so he SHOULD know the different foods and their types and he should stick with compound movements and he should also do a moderate intensity cardio! And That's what I told him!

Rather than telling someone that their diet SUCKS at their starting stage, one should tell em a lil that what should they avoid!
One time you say "YOUR DIET SUCKS" then u say "Ignore the specifics and just shoot for 1.5g protein per lb of your bodyweight"!!

Kinda hard to keep track when he posts 15 different threads. It is simple to find information on the composition of a decent diet online. He made no efforts to try and look it up, and his diet is horrendous. That tells me he will not put in the time nor the effort to lift, or build a structured diet (even if spoon fed) if he can't even do a simple google search.

He also has no idea how many calories his body burns a day, no idea how many calories he is burning for cardio, and his hormone levels are off the charts as a teen. Since he wont be precise, I might as well just provide generic advise that should get a teen some results like "eat 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight."

When I was getting started I was always trying to learn more, and I still am through research, not "bro-science" like you spew.

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Kinda hard to keep track when he posts 15 different threads. It is simple to find information on the composition of a decent diet online. He made no efforts to try and look it up, and his diet is horrendous. That tells me he will not put in the time nor the effort to lift, or build a structured diet (even if spoon fed) if he can't even do a simple google search.

He also has no idea how many calories his body burns a day, no idea how many calories he is burning for cardio, and his hormone levels are off the charts as a teen. Since he wont be precise, I might as well just provide generic advise that should get a teen some results like "eat 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight."

When I was getting started I was always trying to learn more, and I still am through research, not "bro-science" like you spew.
U say when u started you were always trying to learn more and still are, u know what... If u are still trying to learn more u should first of all learn to respect people and respect their opinion and respect their words... Even if U think he's not gonna do anything u should then even not try to help him! And it doesn't matter what u think, if he's gonna do it, he'll do it. It's not gonna rely on ur prediction!

Yeah I am bro-science and I am proud of it. Now u can shut up and prolly get out of my face Bitch!

Swordfish II

Awards
Lol, talk to me after you gain about 35 lbs of muscle or use facts to back your arguments. I respect purple that have either put in the time our have scientifically backed knowledge. You have neither.

Oh look AM has an article on IF on the article page
This was the source, not that you will read it
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120517132057.htm

cameronman223

Awards
Yeah, he gave me more information than you have. An instead of saying my diet sucks, say what I can do instead and why my diet sucks an what I can do to fix it...
If your saying I'm not gonna do it the only reason I wouldn't do it is because of people like you not giving any help..
Even if I don't do the workouts I will still know what is right and wrong to do
An I can't do a simple google search because there are not that many specific exactly specific to 16 year olds and what is the whole point of this forum if we can all just google the answers to everything?
I wanna hear true stories of people doing stuff and not some BS of somebody trying to sell me their "magic" supplement and preaching on how to lose 30 pounds in 30 days!

cameronman223

Awards
Lol, talk to me after you gain about 35 lbs of muscle or use facts to back your arguments. I respect purple that have either put in the time our have scientifically backed knowledge. You have neither.

And I am 16 like you've said over and over again my hormones are going crazy, I'm not gonna fast when my body is still growing and needs extra nutrients to build itself up

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120517132057.htm
Even if u don't respect me, I don't care... I might ACTUALLY read it who knows!

it's my humble request to either NOT talk like this or just cut the BS

Yeah, he gave me more information than you have. An instead of saying my diet sucks, say what I can do instead and why my diet sucks an what I can do to fix it...
If your saying I'm not gonna do it the only reason I wouldn't do it is because of people like you not giving any help..
Even if I don't do the workouts I will still know what is right and wrong to do
An I can't do a simple google search because there are not that many specific exactly specific to 16 year olds and what is the whole point of this forum if we can all just google the answers to everything?
I wanna hear true stories of people doing stuff and not some BS of somebody trying to sell me their "magic" supplement and preaching on how to lose 30 pounds in 30 days!
And I am 16 like you've said over and over again my hormones are going crazy, I'm not gonna fast when my body is still growing and needs extra nutrients to build itself up
^^ U nailed it brother!!

cameronman223

Awards
I hate when people say something is a bad idea and don't explain why and what we can do better or change to it to fix it...that's being productive! Haha

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
I hate when people say something is a bad idea and don't explain why and what we can do better or change to it to fix it...that's being productive! Haha
U just stick to it man, avoid bad foods, try to eat healthy and do good workouts.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
hey bud, im a year older than you, and i havr expirence results you said you were looking for. pm me if you want an efile of my workout/diet plan or anything else

ODeusGrego

Awards
So here is the deal. Your diet does need work. And for you to lose weight you do need to find out how many calories your burning during inactivity, and you need to find out the amount of calories you take in during a day. After you do this, you need to find some way to decrease the amount of calories you are taking in. A lot of people will tell you to cut carbs, or cut fats blah blah blah. Bottom line is to lose weight you need to intake a smaller amount of calories per day than your body is currently taking in. So, after you factor in all of that, make your diet healthier. Basics are you really cant eat too many vegetables, don't eat TONS of fruit, but you can eat fruit, try to eat a lot of chicken, (the breast seems to be the best,) and look up when you should be eating carbs and how many. Your body burns carbs as an energy source when you exercise, but you need to learn when is best for YOUR body to take them in relation to your workouts. (Sounds complicated but do the research and you will find out.) Then figure out a work out that will benefit you. If you want a nice summer cut look, then a lot of body weight exercises or light weight exercise. (A lot of pull ups, push ups, body weight squats, or do the weights in the 13 to 15 rep range.) I like an APP called GAIN fitness, I think it does a good job with a generalized workout plan and it gives you a lot of good movements. I know this post is long, so here it is: Eat less calories per day. Pick an amount that allows you to lose weight, calculate how much food you need to eat to get there, and plan ahead. Stay away from processed foods as much as you can, no sugar, soda, beer, candy etc. Make sure when you calculate the number of calories that you need to be taking in by the end of the day, you also calculated how many calories you will be burning from exercise. I suggest you go to a local gym and maybe get a trainer, they can help with this stuff and make sure that you have proper form, and also help you with diet and the like. They will do a lot of the planning for you and guide you through the learning stages and hopefully teach you enough that you will be able to do it all on your own. Hope that helps you out a little. And don't worry too much, you ARE 16 and its really hard to change your body at that age. I weighed 130 pounds until I turned 21 and then I turned into a man and now I weigh 210 with very low body fat. Your body is developing. And to be honest at your age I don't recommend a ton of weight lifting, Just run a lot and do push ups, sit ups, pull ups, squats (body weight,) and try to perform different variations of those.

cameronman223

Awards
Yeah thanks everyone, I have benevolent tumors in my knees so I can't do squats...but how can I figure out how many calories I use while I rest?
And if I go to a gym will there be a trainer I can just use for a day? An about how much will they cost?

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Yeah thanks everyone, I have benevolent tumors in my knees so I can't do squats...but how can I figure out how many calories I use while I rest?
And if I go to a gym will there be a trainer I can just use for a day? An about how much will they cost?

Trainers are gonna cost ALOT. It's good if you just ask for someone's help, not assign a personal trainer. And the calories are going to depend on you, the level of activity you do throughout the day. U'll have to figure it out.

Swordfish II

Awards
See right there? You have no experience, no knowledge, but apparently you know best. And you wonder why I am not willing to get down in the weeds and run calculations and map out a full diet for you.

IF is your best best to get both leaner AND bigger. Do a Google search on Dr. John Berardi, he did studies on it.

Swordfish II

Awards

Trainers are gonna cost ALOT. It's good if you just ask for someone's help, not assign a personal trainer. And the calories are going to depend on you, the level of activity you do throughout the day. U'll have to figure it out.
The Harris-Benedict equation I have found to be most accurate, but there is also the Katch-McArdle Formula and the Cunningham Formula.

cameronman223

Awards
See right there? You have no experience, no knowledge, but apparently you know best. And you wonder why I am not willing to get down in the weeds and run calculations and map out a full diet for you.

IF is your best best to get both leaner AND bigger. Do a Google search on Dr. John Berardi, he did studies on it.
I have no experience, no knowledge because I'm not even 16 years old yet, an I'm never gonna be knowledgeable if everyone is like you..

And yes I read one of the articles you posted and he says that it will be 10-15 years until the plan is perfected.. You even said yourself your eating 5 meals a day right now and someone in another thread said that IF doesn't work for him..IF isn't for everyone

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
Honestly dude. All of us wish we started at you age rather than when we did. The earlier u start, the soonsr u learn the diet and routine game. The sooner u learn those games, the sooner u get your dream body. Once u get your dream body, your confidence will carry u to do whatever u set out for. If you want to be a doctor, you'll find a way to get the money for school. If you want to swim in ***** juice, by golly you'll be backstroking in a pool of it in no time

cameronman223

Awards
Haha thanks man but I do think I'll be dreaming as far as swimming in a pool of that stuff...but that's a nice thought haha gross
Yeah, this summer I'm really gonna start pushing it and finding out what I can do in the gym and eat healthy as much as I can

cameronman223

Awards
Just finished my last day of school and my bulking and cutting begins on Monday!
Going to set a routine hopefully tomorrow!
Any last tips or pointers??

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Just finished my last day of school and my bulking and cutting begins on Monday!
Going to set a routine hopefully tomorrow!
Any last tips or pointers??
What do you want tips with?

Focus on making a routine with more compound movements and less isolation movements, try to do a controlled -ve and really feel the weight on the targeted muscle. Try to make it intense...

cameronman223

Awards
What do you want tips with?

Focus on making a routine with more compound movements and less isolation movements, try to do a controlled -ve and really feel the weight on the targeted muscle. Try to make it intense...
What do you mean a "controlled -ve"?

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
What do you mean a "controlled -ve"?
Controlled negative movement... so that your muscles feel the work being done on them... Not just bringing down and going up fast. but taking it a bit slow/controlled. you can do the positive movement fast but not too fast thou.

look at this:
Bench Press - YouTube
thou a lil bit more controlled will get ur muscle on fire

Swordfish II

Awards
I have no experience, no knowledge because I'm not even 16 years old yet, an I'm never gonna be knowledgeable if everyone is like you..

And yes I read one of the articles you posted and he says that it will be 10-15 years until the plan is perfected.. You even said yourself your eating 5 meals a day right now and someone in another thread said that IF doesn't work for him..IF isn't for everyone
How do you know it doesn't work if you don't try it? I am coming down on you because you haven't done any research on your own, you just expect everyone to do it for you. But with lifting nobody can do that for you. I am eating 5 a day right now, but I have gone with 3 a day too. Honestly there is no difference in results with the 3 or 5, it really just comes down to nutrient timing and getting calories in.

Since you seem dead set on multiple meals a day, here is a decent way to optimize nutrient intake and it will walk you completely through setting up a diet.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_carb_cycling_codex

If you can't design a diet with this, there really is no hope for you.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
while their forums may be garbage the workout and nutrition guides at bodybuilding.com are great for beginners and they dont overcomplicate things.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
try the workout?

YoungGunz

eat like a horse, lift heavy ass weights. You can find a training routine fitted to your needs online, there's 100s out there