Need to lose 2%bf in 2 weeks

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so ive come down and am finally bordering on being single digit bodyfat. Now, i do not care about size at all right now, and need to lose 2%bf in 2-3 weeks. I will be hitting windsprints in the AM 4-5 days a week, lifting 3x a week at night, and doing farmer's walks and jumping rope. Keep in mind, i am not really caring about losing muscle, just bodyfat. Should i drop carbs and only eat them postworkout, etc? Anyone else have any other dieting ideas?

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
i eat between 1800-2400 calories a day, 40/40/20 (protein, carb, fat), right now im guessing im about 6'2, 210lbs at 10-11%

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
i eat between 1800-2400 calories a day, 40/40/20 (protein, carb, fat), right now im guessing im about 6'2, 210lbs at 10-11%
I would say drop the fat even a little lower if you can. Absolutely no saturated fats, make sure to make ALL of your carbs low GI, no white breads, white rice, etc. Keep the fiber intake high. Drink a lot of green tea, gt extract is even better. GT has been shown to burn a good deal of fat by raising body temperature, works a little different then coffee or other caffeinated drinks from what i read.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
so up protein intake, drop fat...sounds good. I cheat maybe once a week but none of that nonsense this next 3 weeks, im basically doing this to prove to myself that i can maintain single digit bodyfat (or at least close) until spring rolls around, as i plan on going out to California for the summer (maybe some movie auditions, etc?) Itsl all wishful thinking. Like i said size is not a real concern, when i was bigger i just felt fat and sluggish.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
i like Lakes idea but id have to say that if It were me id Drop the Carbs and keep the Fat the same and up the Protien. keep the Carbs Low GI and the Protien Absorbtion as needed (Post-Workout--Fast, Before Bed--Slow) and in your Fats get EFA's.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
its not gonna work... unless he did some kind of keto diet but the more research I do on it lately the more I find that its only a temporary fix and it isn't a good way to go. hell ask bobo that, he preached that to me in the last month and i finally did a lot of research on it to find he was right. damn clowns ;)

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
check out my diet log thread, i want different opinions on what i should be eating and when/ all suggestions/criticisms welcome.

DoctorX2k2

Awards
If you want to lose BF% you should be caring about keeping your LBM as high as possible for obvious reasons.

The Fat Burning Zone: Fact or Fiction?
By Joseph M Warpeha, MA, CSCS, NSCA-CPT

We have all used a treadmill or exercise bike at the gym with a chart on it showing us how hard to exercise to achieve certain goals. The “fat-burning/aerobic� zone that many of us are so concerned with usually lies somewhere in the range of 60 – 70% of maximum heart rate (HRmax). But where does this number come from, and is it really the best intensity to exercise at if you are trying to lose weight?

To answer this question, first we must understand how the energy we consume (fat, carbohydrate, and protein) is actually used as fuel. In the general resting state, the average person burns approximately 60% fat, 35% carbohydrates, and 5% protein1. Once activity (exercise) begins, relative fat metabolism decreases and carbohydrate usage increases. We use the fat/carbohydrate model because protein generally is not a substantial source of energy except in extreme conditions (starvation, etc.). The trend continues as intensity increases to where at “all-out� maximum exercise, the fuel used is almost 100% carbohydrates. Therefore, it is true that lower intensity exercise elicits a greater relative contribution of fats, and hence that “green fat-burning zone� we always see on the chart.

However, as exercise intensity decreases, so too does caloric expenditure. Remember, weight loss occurs when daily caloric expenditure exceeds caloric intake, so it makes sense to burn as many calories as possible through exercise. First of all, those additional carbohydrates you burned because you exercised harder now will not be stored as fat (the common storage form of most carbohydrates once glycogen reserves are filled in the liver and muscle). Second, even though relative fat metabolism decreases with increasing intensity, the absolute amount of fat burned increases. The following table illustrates this idea for a 30-year-old who weighs 200 pounds and exercises for 30 minutes on a treadmill at three different intensities:

Table 1. Calories burned and amount of fat used at different intensities.

Speed (mph) 3.5 5.0 6.5
Activity Walking Jogging Running
Work Level Low Moderate High
Avg. HR (bpm) 114 143 171
Intensity (% HRmax) 60 75 90
Calories Burned 175 412 522
Fat Used (%) 46 35 17
Fat Used (grams) 9 16 10

Although these values are approximations, this table should highlight two points. First, the total calories burned are tripled from walking to running (even though duration is unchanged). Second, although the relative contribution (%) of fat is markedly decreased from walking to running, the absolute amount of fat burned (grams) is still greater at the high intensity.

Even though most Americans exercise aerobically to burn fat/lose weight, the primary goal should be cardiovascular improvement as underscored by the current epidemic of heart disease in the United States. In general, for the average healthy person who is normotensive (blood pressure < 120/80 mm/Hg), cardiovascular benefit increases as intensity increases to an upper limit of about 90% of maximal heart rate (Hrmax). Beyond 90% HRmax, little research exists to indicate further cardiovascular enhancement2.

Currently, for improvements in cardiorespiratory fitness, the American College of Sports Medicine recommends performing aerobic exercise 3 – 5 days per week for 20 – 60 minutes each day (continuous or intermittent) at an intensity of 55/65% to 90% HRmax3. Obviously, sedentary or older people will begin at the lower ranges and endurance athletes will be at the upper end. So if you plan on devoting 30 minutes to aerobic exercise, why not crank up the intensity? Sure, it will be harder, but you will burn more calories, more fat, and your heart will thank you in the long run.

Note: Anyone planning to begin an exercise program (aerobic or otherwise) should consult a physician for medical clearance prior to engaging in regular exercise.

References
Brooks GA, Fahey TD, White TP, Baldwin KM. (2000). Exercise Physiology: Human Bioenergetics and Its Applications (3rd ed.). McGraw-Hill: New York, NY.
McArdle WD, Katch FI, Katch VL. (1996). Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition, and Human Performance (4th ed.). Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore, MD.
Franklin BA (Ed.). (2000). ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (6th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore, MD

your2slow

Awards
If you're getting your calories down in the 1800 range then you aren't eating enough. If you try to starve your body it kicks into self preservation mode.
I agree with DoctorX2K2 keep your lbm. What's the point of losing 5-10 lbs if it's all muscle? You'll be the same bodyfat percentage.

BryanM

Awards
  • Established
why not bump the cardio at 65% max HRT rate for 1 hour 5 times a week either first thing in morning or after work out!!

Throw some clen in there or an ECA and you will lose 2 % BF in 2 weeks for sure with minimal lose to muscle mass. you only need 4 pound loss to get around 2 % BF.

You can even do it without the clen or eca but they will speed things up and both have supposed anticatabolic properties to them( how much Im not sure on).

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
i dont eat 1800 calories a day everyday, i eat for my activity, if im not hungry, and im not hitting the gym, i dont eat a lot, etc. HIGH INTENSITY cardio is the only way to go, im not going to do low intensity (except for today just because my knees were a little tender. I for the most part run sprints or do farmers walks 5x a week on an empty stomach, so the cardio part i have down.
Also, i said lose 2% BODYFAT, not muscle is what i want to lose. Sprints help me maintain a pretty good amount of muscle, and like i said, im not really concerned about muscle loss because my bodyfat isnt low enough in the first place to really care.
I dont know where some of these generalizations are coming from, such as the starvation thing. Believe me i dont starve myself. 1800 calories may happen once a week, but im usually in the 2000-2500 range, and on a cheat day sometimes a little more.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
so it seems like youve had it all figured out then.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
oh ok, Cut your Carbs and up your Protien and Fats (EFA's) Trust me.

DoctorX2k2

Awards
i dont eat 1800 calories a day everyday, i eat for my activity, if im not hungry, and im not hitting the gym, i dont eat a lot, etc. HIGH INTENSITY cardio is the only way to go, im not going to do low intensity (except for today just because my knees were a little tender. I for the most part run sprints or do farmers walks 5x a week on an empty stomach, so the cardio part i have down.
Also, i said lose 2% BODYFAT, not muscle is what i want to lose. Sprints help me maintain a pretty good amount of muscle, and like i said, im not really concerned about muscle loss because my bodyfat isnt low enough in the first place to really care.
I dont know where some of these generalizations are coming from, such as the starvation thing. Believe me i dont starve myself. 1800 calories may happen once a week, but im usually in the 2000-2500 range, and on a cheat day sometimes a little more.
Sprints on a empty stomach will sure cannibalize your muscles pretty darn fast. If you have everything "down", go ahead and do whatever you want, you'll see what happens.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
Sprints on a empty stomach will sure cannibalize your muscles pretty darn fast. If you have everything "down", go ahead and do whatever you want, you'll see what happens.
Sure about that there boss? I have been doing sprints on an empty stomach for the past 6 weeks and havent lost muscle size and strength has remained the same. If you are not going to offer any other advice then don't bother posting.

AdrenalineRush1

Awards
sureshot, i dont think doctor is trying to mess with u, i think hes trying to help...just think a second, if you do HIIT cardio in the morning on an empty stomach (and im assuming u didnt eat carbs before bed) then your glycogen stores are going to be damn near empty...We all know what determines the fuel source to be used by the body (fat is efficient for low intensity like walking, while carbohydrates will be used for higher intensity- like sprinting or lifting) if your body has no glycogen to utilize, and fat is not an efficient source of energy, what is your body going to use?? its going to break down protein (muscle) and use it for fuel,,, a las goodbye muscle

if there is something u know that i dont, please inform me, unless its just that so far it has worked for you...strength and muscle do not necessarily correlate, when we lose bodyfat and start looking ripped, we tend to think we are not losing muscle when we really are... just a thought

AdrenalineRush1

Awards
i just realized my post really didnt help u much...heres my opinion on dropping fat at all cost...cyclical diet has helped me drop fat the best... Two days (three if you arent doing HIIT Cardio) very low carbs, green veggies being the only carbs, and then on the second (or third) evening a few hours before bed have a carb meal of about 200 grams (oats, sweet potato, etc)... before lifting/cardio use BCAA's...just my opinion... i have used this method successfully, also have used the 40/40/20 method too and it works, i would just apportion carbs before and after workouts with 40/40/20...heres a little tip i found useful too, take your temperature midday or so (not right when u wake up) if its 96-97 , then its a good sign your metabolism is slowin down, a very good time to introduce a carb meal to stimulate T3 production, as well refill glycogen stores....

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
if your body has no glycogen to utilize, and fat is not an efficient source of energy, what is your body going to use?? its going to break down protein (muscle) and use it for fuel,,, a las goodbye muscle
What It all boils down to, Nice Post!!

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
I know doctor is trying to help out, and im sorry i blew up on him like that, but i guess im just doubting that such a short workout in the AM would completely deplete glycogen stores and eat into muscle for energy

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
The one thing that i am confused about is how HIIT increases fat oxidation post training, and speeds up metabolism for the day, how does it do this if it is eating into glycogen stores if done in the AM? Would it be more beneficial to do HIIT at night instead of prior to your first meal?

AdrenalineRush1

Awards
the main emphasis of HIIT cardio that really benefits us, is the calories out vs calories in concept...we are going to burn more calories throughout the day with a brief intense session than we would with a low intensity session...reason being the post oxygen consumption demand is greater after a HIIT cardio session (think about lifting, your body will burn calories trying to repair itself from the ass whipping you gave it)..
So in essence, one that performs HIIT cardio is not concerned with which energy substrate is used during cardio (fat or carbs as long as its not muscle!!!), but we care about how many calories are burned throughout the day...
Think about this, if we burn up glycogen during the HIIT cardio session, then what energy source will we dip into when the session is over and we are at rest?>?? Fat...
I dont think it matters when you do your HIIT cardio so long as u protect your muscle accordingly (carbs BCAA etc) i just like to prioritize my lifting session, so id prefer earlier in the day, then do cardio later on...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The one thing that i am confused about is how HIIT increases fat oxidation post training, and speeds up metabolism for the day, how does it do this if it is eating into glycogen stores if done in the AM? Would it be more beneficial to do HIIT at night instead of prior to your first meal?
HIIT increase the release of triglycerides from stored adipose tissue. Low intensity will oxidize FFA's moreso than HIIT. They both do 2 seperate things and exert different hormonal patterns. HIIT's hormonal response is more like a resistant training session. Low intensity will help oxidize those FFA's so they do not get converted back into triglycerides (although if diet is right its not uch a concern but you still want to decrease circulating FFA's).

HIIT in the morning with no food/nutrients is a sure way to lose muscle in the long run especially at lower bf% when leptin and hormone will play a much larger role on the fed state. Its almost as bad as telling someone to train with weights with no food/nutrients.

Most articles use the term "fat burning" for several different stages. YOu have to look at it from a minimum of two viewpoint. Triglycerides release and fat oxidation. You can release all the fat you want but you have to oxidize those circulating FFA's. If not they will will put back right where they came from.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
the main emphasis of HIIT cardio that really benefits us, is the calories out vs calories in concept....
No its not. It is the hormonal release that HIIT exerts that is its biggest benefit.

Calories in/calories out is easily manipulated through diet control.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know doctor is trying to help out, and im sorry i blew up on him like that, but i guess im just doubting that such a short workout in the AM would completely deplete glycogen stores and eat into muscle for energy
It wouldn't compeltely deplete them but it doens't have to to shift the body into increased gluconeogenesis.

You guys are thinking the body uses one source of fuel the majority of time and it doens't. It uses ALL sources at ALL times. THe ratios just change depending on exercise and caloric expenditure.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
HIIT increase the release of triglycerides from stored adipose tissue. Low intensity will oxidize FFA's moreso than HIIT. They both do 2 seperate things and exert different hormonal patterns. HIIT's hormonal response is more like a resistant training session. Low intensity will help oxidize those FFA's so they do not get converted back into triglycerides (although if diet is right its not uch a concern but you still want to decrease circulating FFA's).

HIIT in the morning with no food/nutrients is a sure way to lose muscle in the long run especially at lower bf% when leptin and hormone will play a much larger role on the fed state. Its almost as bad as telling someone to train with weights with no food/nutrients.
So, basically, mix up the low intensity and the high intensity. When we do HIIT, make sure you've got food in your stomach???

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are training 4-5 times per week with weights, there is no need for HIIT IMO. You are already releasing enough FFA's to saturate the bloodstream. You need to oxidize those circulating FFA's with diet and/or low intenstiy exercise.

If you do not train with weights very often, then HIIT can help greatly.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
If you are training 4-5 times per week with weights, there is no need for HIIT IMO. You are already releasing enough FFA's to saturate the bloodstream. You need to oxidize those circulating FFA's with diet and/or low intenstiy exercise.

Makes sense to me :) Thanks a ton, I appreciate it!

One last question...it also seems self-explanatory, but I'll ask anyway. I should, if possible, do my low intensity cardio in the morning, say if I do my weight training in the evening, right? Oh, I guess another one :p If my goal is moderate fat loss rate with minimum catabolism, what number of cardio days would you recommend...3 or so?

AdrenalineRush1

Awards
i stand corrected, thanks for clearin it up bobo

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bah....not corrected, its just not the most important aspect. Cardio can always help with calories in/calories out. Didn't mean to make it sound like your wrong, because you're not.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Makes sense to me :) Thanks a ton, I appreciate it!

One last question...it also seems self-explanatory, but I'll ask anyway. I should, if possible, do my low intensity cardio in the morning, say if I do my weight training in the evening, right? Oh, I guess another one :p If my goal is moderate fat loss rate with minimum catabolism, what number of cardio days would you recommend...3 or so?
No more than 4 max.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
No more than 4 max.
Thanks again! I'll quit harassing ya! Hell, I have to...any more questions and I'll probably have to pay you, and I would love to, but I'm broke :D

Last edited:

taffer

Awards

i weight train 4 days a week, then do HIIT at the end of the week, would it be more effective to do a lower-intensity cardio at the end of the week?
i am cutting, but doing carb cycling(twin peaks version) so not much cardio is needed

i enjoy doing HIIT cos it doesnt take long, and i can really destroy myself (just like a weight session) would it make much of a difference which one i do?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Probably.

Chunky

Awards
By low intensity cardio, what do you mean exactly ? 60-65-70 % max heart rate ? And suppose it is after a weight training session, I understand you need a low intensity to minimize catabolic state, since it is already pretty high because of weight training, but what should be the length of the low intensity cardio session ? 25-30 min is enough after training, or to maximize FFA oxidation we need a 45 min 1h session ?

Thanks

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
After weights, no more than 30 minutes. 60-65% max.