Artificial sugar - aspartame/sucralose

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How harmful is artificial sugar? I never really bother until I say the bright logo "Does not contain aspartame!" on one product; it contained sucralose instead.

Apart from flavoured protein and the occassional diet soda, I don't think I take in any artificial sugar.

IHateGymMorons

Banned
Awards
How harmful is artificial sugar? I never really bother until I say the bright logo "Does not contain aspartame!" on one product; it contained sucralose instead.

Apart from flavoured protein and the occassional diet soda, I don't think I take in any artificial sugar.
Neither one is very good. Sucralose is found to be worse and worse all the time. Don't buy into that "Made from real sugar" crap. That doesn't mean it's safe. There are no long term studies on it.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Neither one is very good. Sucralose is found to be worse and worse all the time. Don't buy into that "Made from real sugar" crap. That doesn't mean it's safe. There are no long term studies on it.

I've read through pogue's FAQ on articficial sweeteners before. He's basically saying the preponderance of studies show that they are safe. Aspartame, sucralose have more published studies than potassium acesulfame which is considered to be the most untested.

The problem is that companies might have suppressed studies which show harmful effects.

I'd just like to know if there has been any more information since then.

Dan

Awards
According to the tests, the compounds don't break down in the body and are simply excreted in the feces. This may or may not be entirely true, but with millions of people consuming the stuff every day, I'm sure the sides (if any) can't be too horrible.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
According to the tests, the compounds don't break down in the body and are simply excreted in the feces. This may or may not be entirely true, but with millions of people consuming the stuff every day, I'm sure the sides (if any) can't be too horrible.

Actually about 10% of aspartame gets absorbed. Not sure what the numbers are for the others.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For those who haven't read the FAQ yet, there is a sticky on bb.com in the nutrition forum (I think) about sweeteners.

taffer

Awards
i like to think splenda is the "safest"
i really dont like mercola, he is a bit of a crackpot, most of his theory's are based on tests done on rats, where they were fed something like 9 times their bodyweight in aspartame per day, totally blown out of proportion
some people may have bad reactions to sweeteners, but its like that with any food, i mean some people cant handle milk, it doesnt mean its evil
artificial sweeteners have been around for 20+ years, so if anything really bad happened to a large amount of people, we would know about it, it sounds kinda crewl, but its like we tested them out on the 80's generation :p its not like everyones hands are falling off, there are a few cases here and there, but nothing too big to be worried about
thats my spin on it anyway :)

ps: first post here, i've just spent the last 1-2hours reading all the great threads! (in particular bobo's posts, and his amusing "discussions" with swolecat)
im learning tons, hopefully i can give something back thats useful! :p my brain hurts!

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
i Drink alot of Diet Cokes ((Aspartame)) and have had no Problems.

Now when i Eat Sugar Free Jello ((Gelatin)) i get headaches, could be the Sweetner could not but since i stopped Eating SF Jello i havent been getting them.

taffer

Awards
Now when i Eat Sugar Free Jello ((Gelatin)) i get headaches, could be the Sweetner could not but since i stopped Eating SF Jello i havent been getting them.
i dont touch sugar free jelly, not because of the sweetener, but because of the artificial colours and flavors, i belive that is the real killer in things like that

taffer

Awards
not JellY but Jello bro.
*taffer gets out australian/american translator

jelly = jello
jam = jelly
arse = ass

so i was talking about "jello" just we use the work "jelly" for the same thing here....confusing huh :D

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
*taffer gets out australian/american translator

jelly = jello
jam = jelly
arse = ass

so i was talking about "jello" just we use the work "jelly" for the same thing here....confusing huh :D
oh, not a Prob. :thumbsup:

Dan

Awards
According to someone I spoke to a while back who works as a quality control guy in the sup industry, acesulfame-K (acesulfame potassium) is actually the safest artificial sweetener.