New job.. need food ideas for work

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
ok my situation is Im in the airforce.. Im a aircraft mechanic.. well anyway they moved me to supervisor job type.. basically I drive a truck around the flightline and make sure everything is going well.. well my schedule is 12 hour shifts 7pm to 7am..

My problem is 90% of the time during my shift I dont get a chance to leave the flightline.. sometimes not even for lunch. I have been bringing jerky and nuts to work but Im looking for other ideas.. I need stuff that doesnt have to be heated and can easily eat while driving around and taking care of my buisness.. Im prob going to get a small cooler to bring lunch meat or something but is still sort of a pain.. any suggestions?

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
hard boiled eggs, flax oil, milk, and chicken breasts should be easy enough to eat and drive with.

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
hard boiled eggs, flax oil, milk, and chicken breasts should be easy enough to eat and drive with.
cold chicken isnt really my thing... eggs is an idea.. was also thinking string cheese...

B

BigChuckles

Awards
cold chicken isnt really my thing... eggs is an idea.. was also thinking string cheese...
Protein shakes w/ maltodextrin, yogurt, sweet potatoes taste good cold, tuna, protein bars, homeade granola, cold cereals, beans or bean salad, sardines and crackers, salads w/ meat, fruit, soups in a thermos, shrimp

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Protein shakes w/ maltodextrin, yogurt, sweet potatoes taste good cold, tuna, protein bars, homeade granola, cold cereals, beans or bean salad, sardines and crackers, salads w/ meat, fruit, soups in a thermos, shrimp
Canned tuna and salmon, swiss army knife. Whey protein, powdered milk, water. Can't beat the jerky though. I love that stuff.

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
Canned tuna and salmon, swiss army knife. Whey protein, powdered milk, water. Can't beat the jerky though. I love that stuff.
tuna would be great too bad im allergic:(

beamen28

beamen28

Awards
i lifeguard over the summer and run into the same problem. try making a couple turkey sandwiches with a container full of brown rice, also bring a protien shake or a quart of skim milk

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
Allergic to tuna?! Christ, I'd be in hell.:blink:
heh yea it sucks.. got allergies towards shell fish.. regular fish... pretty much almost everything aquatic.. oh and peanuts.. im the lucky one

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
i lifeguard over the summer and run into the same problem. try making a couple turkey sandwiches with a container full of brown rice, also bring a protien shake or a quart of skim milk
yea im gonna prob get a cooler..grab some milk and mix them during work in a shaker..

beamen28

beamen28

Awards
yea im gonna prob get a cooler..grab some milk and mix them during work in a shaker..
haha, yeah everyone i work with makes so much fun of the giant cooler i bring down to the lifeguard stand. not to many meat heads work at the beach

R

rhinochaser48

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I carry around a nalgene bottle with whey/dextrose/flax oil, although there are better solutions lower on the glycemic index.

I used to eat hard boiled eggs, but they got old real quick. Then I never wanted to eat them again.

Sandwiches work, but lunch meats are over priced and high in sodium.

Lately I've been cooking up big pots of chicken gumbo and/or chili and bringing them to work in tupperware. They require a spoon, but I think they're still good even cold.

K

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
get some chicken or turkey in a can...mix it up over the weekend into chx or turkey salad and maybe try adding slices of hardboiled egg and it'll be good to go all week.

I do that when I know I'll have a busy week and won't be able to cook. Just toss a huge batch into tubber ware containers and grab em when I need em.

whoever said the canned salmon...god bless you if you can stomach that. I've tried a few times and can't get it even close to going down.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
individual cottage cheese packages - mix with applebutter (if you can't deal with the taste)
I think there are some homemade protein bar recipes on here somewhere

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
my suggestion to make it easier on yourself would be to include 1-2 MRP's ...
Pro-Lab..Lean Mass Marix MRP's...each packs a 390 cal punch...7 grams EFA'a 40grams pro and 40 grams carbs

They help me out quite a bit!

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I BBQ a lot of chicken, steak and hamburger (can also pan fry burger with taco seaoning). Keep it in containers for the week. Get Tupperware and a large cooler (feed bag). Yams and sweet potatoes can be microwaved and thrown in quickly for meal prep the night before. Brown rice can be made ahead of time so you just have to throw in a hunk of meat and a cup of rice. This is always ready the night before....but I don't always end up by my feed bag every 2-3 hours....sOOOoooo....

I also have my emergency stashes in my car and at my desk. I'll only include the food items :D

Container of oats
Container of protein
Protein bars
minute rice (at my desk for big emergencies)
Cans of tuna (or in your case chicken or turkey)

You can just dump some protein and oatmeal into a shaker and have a quick meal when you don't have time to eat a real meal. If I think that I'll be away from the feed trough for too long, I'll throw a protein bar in my pocket and mix up a shake. People gross out at meetings....but not as much as when I'm ripping down a pound of rare steak and blood soaked rice :twisted:

S

Stingray

Awards
Fruit, protien bars, protien shakes (The Nalgeen bottle Idea is a good one. The lexan plastic does not hold oders. Convient if you just toss power in and mix with water. No need to refrigerate any milk)

I know a lot of BBr's are against Soy but since you are alergic to peanuts... maby soynut butter sandwiches.

SR