Just protein shakes??

TheB3asT

TheB3asT

Awards
Would it be good to just drink protein shakes and water for a week straight ? I want to loose body fat fast and I'm doing cardio weights fat burners already just wanted to have a opinion on trying this what are the pros and cons?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would it be good to just drink protein shakes and water for a week straight ? I want to loose body fat fast and I'm doing cardio weights fat burners already just wanted to have a opinion on trying this what are the pros and cons?
Just keep your calories low enough for your goals. You could eat whole foods that would equate to the same amount of calories as your protein shake idea and be much better off. You wouldnt be getting all the same nutrients provided by "real" healthy food that are important especially when taking in minimal calories.

TheB3asT

TheB3asT

Awards
Well like I was just planning for just a week then go back to eating healthy or just don't do it at all

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well like I was just planning for just a week then go back to eating healthy or just don't do it at all
I see no advantage in this.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i don't see how much harm it can cause.........people fast for longer than a week straight eating nothing at all.

is it ideal for muscle retention ? of course not. but it would be nice for overall weightloss.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i don't see how much harm it can cause.........people fast for longer than a week straight eating nothing at all.

is it ideal for muscle retention ? of course not. but it would be nice for overall weightloss.
right but it isnt a fasting question, he still wants to consume protein shakes so breezy is saying to use whole food instead......1 week of this wont be beneficial imo

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
right but it isnt a fasting question, he still wants to consume protein shakes so breezy is saying to use whole food instead......1 week of this wont be beneficial imo
while of course it would be better to use whole foods[for mainly satiety's sake], you cannot say that it wouldn't be beneficial.

I once dieted on protein shakes and zebra cakes for a week [ when i visited home and couldnt lift or do cardio] and lost a significant amount of fat-visceral, as well as subcutaneous.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could have had the same caloric intake from whole foods with the added benefits of all its nutrients.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could look into the Velocity Diet on t-nation which is basically this, though I believe it says to go for 28 days. I never did the full 28 days, but I had some success with shorter versions of the Velocity Diet.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
You could have had the same caloric intake from whole foods with the added benefits of all its nutrients.
I don't understand what you're arguing exactly. Obviously, a well rounded diet consisting of nutrient dense foods is great.

That isn't what the OP is asking. He asked if he could lose a good amount of fat in a week consuming nothing but protein shakes. The answer is yes.

That's all there is to it.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not trying to argue. He wanted to know the "pros and cons" of it, not necessarily if it would work.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
actually he is asking for pro's and con's and if were a good idea, i say its not a good idea.....can it be done, yes it can but i would be leary of muscle loss, for that matter i would work a 7 day detox into as well for the added health benefit....this is my opinion and has not been evaluated by the fda....

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
Pros: you save money on food, fatloss,convenience.
Cons: you are hungry, you may lose some muscle, you won't get all of the nutrients you need, and you'll have less energy.

with most [if not all] forms of dieting for maximum fatloss, you'll run into the above mentioned Cons.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are even warnings on most protein jugs telling you not to use them as a sole source of nutrition. It is just wrong. I really can't believe anyone would consider it in this day and age, but I guess history repeats itself.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It would be extremely unhealthy. People used to do this in the 1970s and got sick from it. There were even some deaths reported.
I think this is a stretch. Numerous people have done the Velocity Diet and achieved great results, but a lot of them either have just one solid meal a day or eat solid meals on the weekend. It's pretty popular. Certainly not for everyone and maybe not the best possible diet, but I think it's a stretch personally to say extremely unhealthy.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_new_vdiet_test_drive