Vegan diet

lastchance

lastchance

Awards
My girlfriend has been going to the gym with me alot lately and now wants to get on a good diet to go with it. Problem is she is a vegetarian. I'm not an idiot when it comes to nutrition, I'd say as bodybuilder I know quite a bit more than the average guy, and I'm constantly learning new things.. However in all the research I've done on this subject I really couldn't find much of anything. The only thing I could find on vegan bodybuilders was Bill Pearl, and I still couldn't find any specifics on what his typical diet would consist of. Would anyone be able to help me out with this?

lastchance

lastchance

Awards
And I meant to post this in nutrition/health section not weight loss

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So she wants to be a bodybuilder? Plants have Aminos too, but theyr incomplete so you have to mix sources to get all the aminos for a protein. Im not sure what else you want to know

PrimiFit

Awards
Mike Mahler is vegan and has made it work for him. He claims that his hormone profile is optimal. He's not a bodybuilder but a strong guy none the less. I'd check his stuff out.

ironlonghorn

Awards
I was considering going vegan for a while. I decided not to because I love steak to much but I did however learn a lot from veganstrength . org

also: i read these books and they were really good.
"Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness" Author Robert Cheeke.
"Finding Ultra" Author Rich Roll.

Heres a example vegan diet
Meal One - 8am:

2/3 cup granola
2 cups soy milk
1 orange
Meal Two - 11am:

4 oz. Deli-style soy meat
2 slices soy cheese
2 slices organic whole-wheat bread
Or

2 tbls. Natural peanut butter
Organic whole-wheat bagel
Box of organic raisins or 1 small banana
Meal Three- 2pm Pre-workout:

1 small banana (if I have the banana in the previous meal I choose an orange here)
20 grams soy protein in powder form
Or

Odwalla Organic Soy Protein Bar
1 small banana
Meal Four - 4pm Post-workout:

20 grams soy, hemp or rice protein
8 oz. Organic soda
1 small apple
Or

20 grams soy, hemp or rice protein
1 organic bagel
Meal Five - 6pm:

I have many different options at this meal and I will list the main choices that I usually have for this meal.

6 oz. Tofu mixed with 2 cups of mixed organic vegetables. My favorite vegetables are broccoli, spinach, cooked carrots, onions and garbanzo beans.

Or

Large salad made with:

2 to 3 cups of romaine lettuce
6 oz. Morningstar Veggie Strips (made to look like sliced Chicken Breast or sirloin steak)
1 onion
1 tomato
1 cup garbanzo beans
½ cup black olives
2 tbls. Organic salad dressing
Or

Veggie Soy Cheese Burger Patties:

1 Morningstar meatless veggie burger patty
2 slices soy cheese
Chopped lettuce
chopped onion
1-2 Tomato slices
*Morningstar also makes meatless soy veggie hotdogs and a host of other different types of meatless protein that resembles meat, chicken and sausage*

Meal Six - 10pm:

20 grams soy or hemp protein mixed in 8oz. Soy milk
Or

Odwalla Organic Soy Protein Bar

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All these one-size-fits all claims about vegan diets making it impossible to be a bodybuilder are retarded

Get your macro's in, get your calories in, train hard - done

What's so complicated about this?

A vegan regimen only presents issues for a bodybuilder when he does not sensibly supplement with protein sources - the type of protein plays such a small role, it's ridiculous.

Get your food and protein in + train hard - done.

Sure, if you want to go toe to toe with Phil Heath, you may have an issue. Since this wont happen, let it go and live your life the way you see fit ;)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am not a big advocate of SOY as there is simply too much controversy surrounding this protein source to settle on an opinion.

I suggest IF a vegan lifestyle is your objective to keep SOY to minimum/moderate consumption and if used daily, favor minimum ingestion.

rambofireball

rambofireball

Awards
  • Established
That Robert Cheeke dude is crazy! pretty badass though.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
My wife is vegetarian as well (has been for 20+ years) - the main sticking points I've noticed, diet wise, is that the balance of carbs vs. proteins can easily get way out of whack towards the carbs & protein can end up lacking

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
My girlfriend has been going to the gym with me alot lately and now wants to get on a good diet to go with it. Problem is she is a vegetarian. I'm not an idiot when it comes to nutrition, I'd say as bodybuilder I know quite a bit more than the average guy, and I'm constantly learning new things.. However in all the research I've done on this subject I really couldn't find much of anything. The only thing I could find on vegan bodybuilders was Bill Pearl, and I still couldn't find any specifics on what his typical diet would consist of. Would anyone be able to help me out with this?
There are many people who are in shape as vegan/vegetarian fitness experts, yet there are a lot of vegan/vegetarians that are out of shape too. Your girlfriend doesn't have to give up her current diet specifics in order to be "in shape". She will just have to adjust her macros to her new caloric output if going to the gym with you more actively. So if she is currently not getting extra protein from other sources including diary if she is vegan, then she should look into lactose free protein supplements. Or she can also try for ve3gan favored protein powders like hemp and rice protein.