The best way to get shredded for summer and keep your lean muscle!?

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Well there is a bunch of information out there and a lot of different training styles. I decided to make this post to see what people think of what I am going to try and maybe discuss there own routines etc. If you want to add any information or just talk about cutting feel free to do it here. I love to hear from other people and how they train and how its effected them, what to do or not to do etc.

I found a great article on SimplyShredded.com about carbohydrate tolerance, this is what made me decide how to train for the next few months. I am currently around 4 weeks into my cut, started at 5'10 175 bodyfat unknown, around 165 right now bodyfat still unknown but im guessing around 12% aiming for 8% for summer, so im guessing ill be like 155 to be shredded. For me its more about the way I look then how big, I was 178 at my highest and my abs pretty much dissapeared only been training consistantly since last July where I started at 140 pounds, never looking back so I have awhile to get where I want to be.

Anyway here is a cut and paste from the article, some good info some people might want to read.

Carbohydrate Tolerance: Frontline Fat Loss – Written By Nutrition Expert David Barr

If you’re looking to optimize your fat loss, then you’ve come to the right place. Unfortunately, we’ve overlooked a key factor for far too long, and it’s time that changes. I’m going to show you how to lose weight as efficiently as possible by exploring the concept of carbohydrate tolerance.

We’ll cover the theory, practice, and the specific “How To’s”, along with plenty of Quick Tips along the way.

What Is Carbohydrate Tolerance?

Before we get to this critically important concept, let’s back up a minute and consider another point called insulin sensitivity. This simply refers to how responsive a particular tissue is to the hormone insulin.

A tissue with high insulin sensitivity will respond quite well to this hormone, while another with low sensitivity won’t be as responsive. This is important because insulin is known as the storage hormone, and it’s our goal to keep it as low as possible in order to lose bodyfat. In addition to the overall quantity, it’s our goal to maintain high insulin sensitivity in muscle, but keep low insulin sensitivity in fat cells. That way, insulin can do its job better in muscle, but not so well in fat cells (and as you probably guessed, the job of the latter is to store fat).

Now, insulin sensitivity sounds important, and it is, but it’s been the sole focus for far too long. The parameter that comes into play, even before insulin is affected, is known as carbohydrate tolerance. What’s perhaps even more important is that carb tolerance can even indirectly affect insulin sensitivity and hormonal control.

Quick Tip:

Ideal insulin sensitivity is critical for not only the maintenance of muscle mass when on a diet, but also optimal fat loss. By optimizing carbohydrate tolerance we maximize insulin sensitivity, thereby preserving muscle and burning more fat!
So What Is It?

Although carbohydrate tolerance is similar to insulin sensitivity in many ways, it specifically pertains to the way in which our body deals with carbohydrates alone. The concept is best explained by treating our muscle as a sponge that’s responsive to carbs. For the optimal fat loss we want it relatively “dry,” so that when the time comes, it can suck up as many carbs as possible. As long as the sponge has a little dryness to it, it’ll be able to absorb the water (a.k.a. carbs) without affecting the rest of the body. (Remember that insulin isn’t involved quite yet. This is how we maintain an optimal fat burning state for as long as possible.)

After the muscle has absorbed a relatively large amount of carbohydrates, it’s considered full, and reaches what is known as the saturation point. Only after the saturation point has been reached do the carbs begin to “spill over,” at which time insulin, and our sensitivity to it, becomes important.

Quick Tip:

For an easy to conceive analogy, consider the following: if fat loss is a battle, then insulin sensitivity can be considered the reserves, while carbohydrate tolerance is the front line! Only by engaging all of the troops can we win the battle.
The Key Benefit

Having a high carb tolerance relates to fat loss because it performs a vital role: it keeps insulin levels low. Because insulin is our storage hormone it has the double impact of not only stopping any fat loss that is occurring, but also directly induces fat storage itself.

Obviously if we’re trying to cut, then having as little of this hormone as possible is a very good thing. And by having optimal carb tolerance, this is exactly what we’re doing!

Added Bonus: The Buffer Zone

Another benefit of maintaining a high carbohydrate tolerance is that it acts as a buffer zone for those times when we overindulge in carbohydrates. This ensures that these carbohydrates are not stored as fat, but rather sucked up by the muscle such that insulin levels are minimized. One might, if in the middle of a carb binge, think of it as a get out of jail free card. The diet won’t be ruined, which can have great physiological and psychological implications.
Quick Tip:

Stimulant use also greatly assists with fat loss, and can help mitigate any damage done by slipping on our diet.

Getting There

So how do we enter a state of optimal carb tolerance, and subsequent fat loss? Well, there are 2 main ways:

Diet
Exercise (no surprises here).

Key 1: Diet

The most efficient way to induce a longer-term state of carb tolerance is to maintain a low carbohydrate diet. This serves to deplete muscle glycogen stores such that they’ll be far more responsive to absorbing carbohydrates. Going back to our sponge analogy, carb depleting is our practical version of drying out the sponge.
Key #2: Exercise

Our short-term path to carb tolerance is exercise, particularly that which is able to significantly deplete muscle carbohydrate stores (a.k.a. glycogen). Resistance exercise is particularly efficient at inducing an elevated carbohydrate tolerant state — something that most people take advantage of with a post-workout drink like Surge.

By combining our intense exercise and low carb diet we are setting up an optimal internal environment for fat loss.

The “How To”

Now that we understand the basics and benefits of carbohydrate tolerance, let’s take a look at how to do it, and do it well.

Killing Carbs and Bodyfat

The majority of fat loss occurs in a carb-depleted state, in part due to the improved carb tolerance that accompanies this condition. The sooner we can enter this optimal fat burning phase, the better the results. By focusing our first carb depletion day on getting into the optimal carb depleted state, we are kick starting fat loss and setting ourselves up for a successful cut. This critical first day is known as the priming phase. The easiest way in which to enter the optimal carb tolerance zone is to dramatically reduce carbs on this day. This is because our first day isn’t about losing fat per se; it is about priming our body for a state where it is able to destroy fat. It seems like a subtle difference at first, but makes all the difference to our body.

By reducing our carbs to a great extent in the priming phase, we’re quickly able to get into the optimal fat loss zone, during which we are able to consume a low quantity of carbs in order to maintain the ideal fat burning state. On subsequent days of the diet, carbohydrates may be increased slightly such that the fat burning condition will be sustained until the carbohydrate refeed.

Quick Tip:

Refeeeding will fill our muscles with glycogen and induce a strongly anabolic state. This is critical for both the maintenance of both muscle mass and training intensity. In order to optimize these effects, excessive glycogen depleting exercise should be avoided during this short time. For this reason, only light cardio should be performed during a refeed, if any.

Divide and Conquer

Here’s a quick tip that clients love: separate your cardio and weights into different sessions, rather than trying to cram them all into one shot. This has the dual advantage of optimizing carb tolerance, and maximizing the amount of energy you can put into each session. Because each training session improves carb tolerance, you’re getting twice the bang for your buck. This means that you’ll have double the carb tolerance compared to if you performed only a single training session.

In fact, it’s likely that you’ll more than double your carb tolerance through this method. Due to the intensity that you can offer to each bout, carb tolerance will be exaggerated relative to that of a compromised intensity session.

Double Intensity

Have you ever tried to do a hard weight session after HIIT, or vice versa? If you’re human then probably not, because both are exhausting. But for those masochists who have, you’ll likely remember that there was a serious compromise of the latter session. This is because the intensity simply can’t be maintained for two consecutive exercise bouts, particularly when on a low carbohydrate diet. But, by splitting this intensity between two separate workouts, you are better able to focus your energies on a single task, thereby maximizing fat burning potential!

This is particularly critical when it comes to weight sessions because intensity is needed to maintain a strong anticatabolic stimulus to muscle. Without it, muscle will waste in the caloric deficit, metabolism will drop, and the diet is doomed.

Quick Tip:

By splitting cardio and weights into two separate workouts, you’re preserving muscle mass! This not only helps to maintain an elevated, fat burning, metabolism, but it also ensures that you’ll look better when you’re all done!
Double Fat Loss

The exercise and diet points are great on their own, but are even more powerful when combined! If you recall, the first day of a carb depletion is critical for getting us into the optimal fat burning zone. Well, this priming phase of carb depletion is also the perfect time for a double workout day!

This will ensure maximum glycogen depletion at a time when we will benefit most from it. By training twice we also take advantage of the training-induction of carb tolerance.

Sample Plan

Day 1: Priming Phase

AM: 30 minutes of HIIT followed by 15 minutes of low intensity jogging/walking
PM: Resistance training session
Carbohydrate intake: extremely low

Day 2-5: Fat Loss Phase

Carbohydrate intake: low

Day 6-7: Refeed

Resistance training only
Carbohydrate intake: high

Conclusions

In our quest for the ideal body we’ve been neglecting carbohydrate tolerance for far too long. By entering an optimal carb tolerant state we are maximizing fat loss and assisting with the overall ease of the diet. Try applying the tips provided and you can be sure to maximize cuts and lose fat faster and easier than previously thought!

David Barr is a strength coach and scientist, with research specialty in nutrition and its impact on performance and body composition. In addition to his work for NASA at the Johnson Space Center, David’s research career has involved everything from the cellular basis of muscle breakdown to work on critically ill catabolic patients. He holds certifications with the NSCA as well as USA Track and Field, and can be contacted through his website.

So my plan is to low carb on weekdays, refeed on weekends. The problem for me is I don't count calories because I don't have a smart phone or anything to make it easy, so I am just to lazy. I am thinking about trying to do so soon but we will see. Weekdays carbs will be low, <50grams first days <80-100 for the next 4, then a refeed of probably 300 grams for first day 200 next. Something like that I am guessing, nothing is in stone.

Let me know what you guys think, any tips, questions, cutting related questions comments or anything from anyone please feel free to post!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Interesting read. I might have to give this a try. It sounds like it would work extremely well to combine this with intermittent fasting.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Use something like fitday. It's not like it's difficult. Don't be lazy you big Nancy.

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
Very good read. I got 1 week of pct left then 2 months before I start next cycle... might try it in that time and shred up...

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Well I count my carbs, but thats it lol, otherwise I just listen to my body and get my protein / fats in. I am going to start counting soon, hopefully getting a new phone this week, :D.

Yeah I think this would work well with intermittent fasting. Glad some of you enjoyed the read! :thumbsup:

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
well guys... I read through the full article and am starting next week. I will set up my diet this week and training schedule. The diet will be bland and simple with a few "different" meals that can be swapped in periodically to keep motivation up. They will be nutritionally sound meals but they will be used in the place of cheating every couple days since I will do this with no actual "cheat days". The training will be simple 2 body parts a day 4 days a week plus a heavy day on the weekend to hit anything lagging. If anyone is interested I will post my info up as a model/guide diet/workout routine for "carb tolerance". Havent decided my supps outside of my pre-workout and protein but I think I will run a some fatloss sup. Im 192-195 about 14-15% BF (yes i added the 2-3% for inacuracy) and 5'8". Just came off a Beastdrol cycle that I kept 10 pounds from.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well I count my carbs, but thats it lol, otherwise I just listen to my body and get my protein / fats in. I am going to start counting soon, hopefully getting a new phone this week, :D.

Yeah I think this would work well with intermittent fasting. Glad some of you enjoyed the read! :thumbsup:
With something like Fitday it's pretty simple. I just plug in the macros, and if like me you eat the same thing quite often, then you can create a "custom" food and use it over and over again. For example last night I had 4 eggs and that's already on my list so it just shows up. I'm getting ready to eat a granola bar (which is also already on my list) so I can easily plug that in.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
well guys... I read through the full article and am starting next week. I will set up my diet this week and training schedule. The diet will be bland and simple with a few "different" meals that can be swapped in periodically to keep motivation up. They will be nutritionally sound meals but they will be used in the place of cheating every couple days since I will do this with no actual "cheat days". The training will be simple 2 body parts a day 4 days a week plus a heavy day on the weekend to hit anything lagging. If anyone is interested I will post my info up as a model/guide diet/workout routine for "carb tolerance". Havent decided my supps outside of my pre-workout and protein but I think I will run a some fatloss sup. Im 192-195 about 14-15% BF (yes i added the 2-3% for inacuracy) and 5'8". Just came off a Beastdrol cycle that I kept 10 pounds from.

Nice bro! I would love to see your diet / routine, and hear about how its going for you. Always fun to compare haha. I assume you already went through PCT yeah?

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
With something like Fitday it's pretty simple. I just plug in the macros, and if like me you eat the same thing quite often, then you can create a "custom" food and use it over and over again. For example last night I had 4 eggs and that's already on my list so it just shows up. I'm getting ready to eat a granola bar (which is also already on my list) so I can easily plug that in.
Sounds good brotha, I will have to check it out fersure!

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
I end pct in 2 days but I'm fully recovered. I feel great... boys are back and doing plenty of work if you know what I mean ;-) I will lay it all out this weekend and attack it Monday.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
I end pct in 2 days but I'm fully recovered. I feel great... boys are back and doing plenty of work if you know what I mean ;-) I will lay it all out this weekend and attack it Monday.

Sounds good brotha, and you guys have already got me into starting counting my cals.

Breakfast this morning.

2 Oat n Honey bars -Cals 190 carbs 29 fats 7 Protein 4
1 Tbsp Natural PB - Cals 95 carbs3 fats 8 protein 4
1 scoop whey - Cals 117 carbs 2 fats 2 protein 24

Total cals 402 carbs 34 fats 17 protein 32

Now to just find out my perfect calorie number add in my training routines and start maximizing results!

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
Good work man. That's s pretty decent breakfast. I like my breakfast to consist of mostly eggs, cheese and maybe some 93% lean turkey sausage every now and then. Throw some veggies into that and its a pretty decent omelet.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Good work man. That's s pretty decent breakfast. I like my breakfast to consist of mostly eggs, cheese and maybe some 93% lean turkey sausage every now and then. Throw some veggies into that and its a pretty decent omelet.

Sounds like a nice meal!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My breakfast consists of proatmeal and eggs every morning. I'm newly addicted to proatmeal with a scoop of natty peanut butter and ground cinnamon in it. I suggest you try it. Its delicious. good macros too. Throw a jalapeno cheese stick and some chopped up turkey in ur omlet and some hot sauce on top. Your set.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
I'm doing the IF thing now so I might try the carb tolerance thing whilst doing leangains. I have four more stubborn pounds to move!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I was looking to start a carb cycle diet soon. Will read this later when I get home from work. Nice find!

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I started a carb depleted cut recently. It was meant to be a recomp but the weight just poured off! I was amazed to see that carbs not fat was the thing holding me back from looking shredded. I'm currently down 8.5 pounds in 25 days and all the info can be found in my current log. Haven't concentrated on low fat at all only watching carb intake as well. Good thread here!

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
I started a carb depleted cut recently. It was meant to be a recomp but the weight just poured off! I was amazed to see that carbs not fat was the thing holding me back from looking shredded. I'm currently down 8.5 pounds in 25 days and all the info can be found in my current log. Haven't concentrated on low fat at all only watching carb intake as well. Good thread here!
Good for you man. There is a lot of misconceptions out there between fat & Carbs and what makes you put on or lose fat. I ignore most of it and laugh at people because results don't lie.. like yours or other AM members. Kill the carbs= shredded!!!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
When giving a basic 5 second 101 on diet for weight loss I use the phrase "Fats make you skinny. Carbs are the enemy."

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
True that ^^

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When giving a basic 5 second 101 on diet for weight loss I use the phrase "Fats make you skinny. Carbs are the enemy."
Honestly, this is no bullsh1t here I never imagined carbs were the enemy.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Nice bro! Yeah I never realized how much fat I really had until I started this. I mean I've always been lean, but using this method seems to be working well, hopefully 4-6 weeks out from reaching that 8% :D.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
I agree with this! A lot of people are so afraid to eat fats, when most of the time its not there problem, another thing that helps me is I eat no carbs in the evening, I try to save all my carbs for the day pre and post workout. Fats are essential to the body and should not be neglected!

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
My breakfast consists of proatmeal and eggs every morning. I'm newly addicted to proatmeal with a scoop of natty peanut butter and ground cinnamon in it. I suggest you try it. Its delicious. good macros too. Throw a jalapeno cheese stick and some chopped up turkey in ur omlet and some hot sauce on top. Your set.
Never heard of proatmeal before, you buy it at the store? Sounds good though.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nah its just a scoop of your protein powder combined with your raw oats. What I do:

1/2 scoop raw oats
1 scoop whey gold standard double chocolate
1 cup water (the pro is clumpy if you don't add enough water, so maybe a lil more than a cup)
Stir it up
Pop it in the microwave for 2 mins
Then when its done I just throw in a spoon full of natty pb and put some ground cinnamon on top and mix it all together.

thestein1016

thestein1016

Awards
  • Established
Well there is a bunch of information out there and a lot of different training styles. I decided to make this post to see what people think of what I am going to try and maybe discuss there own routines etc. If you want to add any information or just talk about cutting feel free to do it here. I love to hear from other people and how they train and how its effected them, what to do or not to do etc.

I found a great article on SimplyShredded.com about carbohydrate tolerance, this is what made me decide how to train for the next few months. I am currently around 4 weeks into my cut, started at 5'10 175 bodyfat unknown, around 165 right now bodyfat still unknown but im guessing around 12% aiming for 8% for summer, so im guessing ill be like 155 to be shredded. For me its more about the way I look then how big, I was 178 at my highest and my abs pretty much dissapeared only been training consistantly since last July where I started at 140 pounds, never looking back so I have awhile to get where I want to be.

Anyway here is a cut and paste from the article, some good info some people might want to read.

Carbohydrate Tolerance: Frontline Fat Loss – Written By Nutrition Expert David Barr

If you’re looking to optimize your fat loss, then you’ve come to the right place. Unfortunately, we’ve overlooked a key factor for far too long, and it’s time that changes. I’m going to show you how to lose weight as efficiently as possible by exploring the concept of carbohydrate tolerance.

We’ll cover the theory, practice, and the specific “How To’s”, along with plenty of Quick Tips along the way.

What Is Carbohydrate Tolerance?

Before we get to this critically important concept, let’s back up a minute and consider another point called insulin sensitivity. This simply refers to how responsive a particular tissue is to the hormone insulin.

A tissue with high insulin sensitivity will respond quite well to this hormone, while another with low sensitivity won’t be as responsive. This is important because insulin is known as the storage hormone, and it’s our goal to keep it as low as possible in order to lose bodyfat. In addition to the overall quantity, it’s our goal to maintain high insulin sensitivity in muscle, but keep low insulin sensitivity in fat cells. That way, insulin can do its job better in muscle, but not so well in fat cells (and as you probably guessed, the job of the latter is to store fat).

Now, insulin sensitivity sounds important, and it is, but it’s been the sole focus for far too long. The parameter that comes into play, even before insulin is affected, is known as carbohydrate tolerance. What’s perhaps even more important is that carb tolerance can even indirectly affect insulin sensitivity and hormonal control.

Quick Tip:

Ideal insulin sensitivity is critical for not only the maintenance of muscle mass when on a diet, but also optimal fat loss. By optimizing carbohydrate tolerance we maximize insulin sensitivity, thereby preserving muscle and burning more fat!
So What Is It?

Although carbohydrate tolerance is similar to insulin sensitivity in many ways, it specifically pertains to the way in which our body deals with carbohydrates alone. The concept is best explained by treating our muscle as a sponge that’s responsive to carbs. For the optimal fat loss we want it relatively “dry,” so that when the time comes, it can suck up as many carbs as possible. As long as the sponge has a little dryness to it, it’ll be able to absorb the water (a.k.a. carbs) without affecting the rest of the body. (Remember that insulin isn’t involved quite yet. This is how we maintain an optimal fat burning state for as long as possible.)

After the muscle has absorbed a relatively large amount of carbohydrates, it’s considered full, and reaches what is known as the saturation point. Only after the saturation point has been reached do the carbs begin to “spill over,” at which time insulin, and our sensitivity to it, becomes important.

Quick Tip:

For an easy to conceive analogy, consider the following: if fat loss is a battle, then insulin sensitivity can be considered the reserves, while carbohydrate tolerance is the front line! Only by engaging all of the troops can we win the battle.
The Key Benefit

Having a high carb tolerance relates to fat loss because it performs a vital role: it keeps insulin levels low. Because insulin is our storage hormone it has the double impact of not only stopping any fat loss that is occurring, but also directly induces fat storage itself.

Obviously if we’re trying to cut, then having as little of this hormone as possible is a very good thing. And by having optimal carb tolerance, this is exactly what we’re doing!

Added Bonus: The Buffer Zone

Another benefit of maintaining a high carbohydrate tolerance is that it acts as a buffer zone for those times when we overindulge in carbohydrates. This ensures that these carbohydrates are not stored as fat, but rather sucked up by the muscle such that insulin levels are minimized. One might, if in the middle of a carb binge, think of it as a get out of jail free card. The diet won’t be ruined, which can have great physiological and psychological implications.
Quick Tip:

Stimulant use also greatly assists with fat loss, and can help mitigate any damage done by slipping on our diet.

Getting There

So how do we enter a state of optimal carb tolerance, and subsequent fat loss? Well, there are 2 main ways:

Diet
Exercise (no surprises here).

Key 1: Diet

The most efficient way to induce a longer-term state of carb tolerance is to maintain a low carbohydrate diet. This serves to deplete muscle glycogen stores such that they’ll be far more responsive to absorbing carbohydrates. Going back to our sponge analogy, carb depleting is our practical version of drying out the sponge.
Key #2: Exercise

Our short-term path to carb tolerance is exercise, particularly that which is able to significantly deplete muscle carbohydrate stores (a.k.a. glycogen). Resistance exercise is particularly efficient at inducing an elevated carbohydrate tolerant state — something that most people take advantage of with a post-workout drink like Surge.

By combining our intense exercise and low carb diet we are setting up an optimal internal environment for fat loss.

The “How To”

Now that we understand the basics and benefits of carbohydrate tolerance, let’s take a look at how to do it, and do it well.

Killing Carbs and Bodyfat

The majority of fat loss occurs in a carb-depleted state, in part due to the improved carb tolerance that accompanies this condition. The sooner we can enter this optimal fat burning phase, the better the results. By focusing our first carb depletion day on getting into the optimal carb depleted state, we are kick starting fat loss and setting ourselves up for a successful cut. This critical first day is known as the priming phase. The easiest way in which to enter the optimal carb tolerance zone is to dramatically reduce carbs on this day. This is because our first day isn’t about losing fat per se; it is about priming our body for a state where it is able to destroy fat. It seems like a subtle difference at first, but makes all the difference to our body.

By reducing our carbs to a great extent in the priming phase, we’re quickly able to get into the optimal fat loss zone, during which we are able to consume a low quantity of carbs in order to maintain the ideal fat burning state. On subsequent days of the diet, carbohydrates may be increased slightly such that the fat burning condition will be sustained until the carbohydrate refeed.

Quick Tip:

Refeeeding will fill our muscles with glycogen and induce a strongly anabolic state. This is critical for both the maintenance of both muscle mass and training intensity. In order to optimize these effects, excessive glycogen depleting exercise should be avoided during this short time. For this reason, only light cardio should be performed during a refeed, if any.

Divide and Conquer

Here’s a quick tip that clients love: separate your cardio and weights into different sessions, rather than trying to cram them all into one shot. This has the dual advantage of optimizing carb tolerance, and maximizing the amount of energy you can put into each session. Because each training session improves carb tolerance, you’re getting twice the bang for your buck. This means that you’ll have double the carb tolerance compared to if you performed only a single training session.

In fact, it’s likely that you’ll more than double your carb tolerance through this method. Due to the intensity that you can offer to each bout, carb tolerance will be exaggerated relative to that of a compromised intensity session.

Double Intensity

Have you ever tried to do a hard weight session after HIIT, or vice versa? If you’re human then probably not, because both are exhausting. But for those masochists who have, you’ll likely remember that there was a serious compromise of the latter session. This is because the intensity simply can’t be maintained for two consecutive exercise bouts, particularly when on a low carbohydrate diet. But, by splitting this intensity between two separate workouts, you are better able to focus your energies on a single task, thereby maximizing fat burning potential!

This is particularly critical when it comes to weight sessions because intensity is needed to maintain a strong anticatabolic stimulus to muscle. Without it, muscle will waste in the caloric deficit, metabolism will drop, and the diet is doomed.

Quick Tip:

By splitting cardio and weights into two separate workouts, you’re preserving muscle mass! This not only helps to maintain an elevated, fat burning, metabolism, but it also ensures that you’ll look better when you’re all done!
Double Fat Loss

The exercise and diet points are great on their own, but are even more powerful when combined! If you recall, the first day of a carb depletion is critical for getting us into the optimal fat burning zone. Well, this priming phase of carb depletion is also the perfect time for a double workout day!

This will ensure maximum glycogen depletion at a time when we will benefit most from it. By training twice we also take advantage of the training-induction of carb tolerance.

Sample Plan

Day 1: Priming Phase

Carbohydrate intake: extremely low

Day 2-5: Fat Loss Phase

Carbohydrate intake: low

Day 6-7: Refeed

Resistance training only
Carbohydrate intake: high

Conclusions

In our quest for the ideal body we’ve been neglecting carbohydrate tolerance for far too long. By entering an optimal carb tolerant state we are maximizing fat loss and assisting with the overall ease of the diet. Try applying the tips provided and you can be sure to maximize cuts and lose fat faster and easier than previously thought!

David Barr is a strength coach and scientist, with research specialty in nutrition and its impact on performance and body composition. In addition to his work for NASA at the Johnson Space Center, David’s research career has involved everything from the cellular basis of muscle breakdown to work on critically ill catabolic patients. He holds certifications with the NSCA as well as USA Track and Field, and can be contacted through his website.

So my plan is to low carb on weekdays, refeed on weekends. The problem for me is I don't count calories because I don't have a smart phone or anything to make it easy, so I am just to lazy. I am thinking about trying to do so soon but we will see. Weekdays carbs will be low, <50grams first days <80-100 for the next 4, then a refeed of probably 300 grams for first day 200 next. Something like that I am guessing, nothing is in stone.

Let me know what you guys think, any tips, questions, cutting related questions comments or anything from anyone please feel free to post!

Your best bet is to figure out how many total cals you need each day, then split them up into your protein, fats, and carbs. Chose the adequate amount for proteins and fats (starting numbers) then fill in the rest with carbs. For quicker results, eat the same thing everyday. This eliminates guessing and fiddling with those phones apps. If you do this for a month on two, the results will come faster, then youll be able to be a little more lenient with your diet.

my 2 cents. Goodluck!

PS: This is my "offseason" breakdown P:300, Carb:80-100, Fat:100 with refeed P:300, Carb 300-350, Fat:<25
Offseason weight 175-180lb

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Your best bet is to figure out how many total cals you need each day, then split them up into your protein, fats, and carbs. Chose the adequate amount for proteins and fats (starting numbers) then fill in the rest with carbs. For quicker results, eat the same thing everyday. This eliminates guessing and fiddling with those phones apps. If you do this for a month on two, the results will come faster, then youll be able to be a little more lenient with your diet.

my 2 cents. Goodluck!

PS: This is my "offseason" breakdown P:300, Carb:80-100, Fat:100 with refeed P:300, Carb 300-350, Fat:<25
Offseason weight 175-180lb

That's some good advice man, thanks.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, this is no bullsh1t here I never imagined carbs were the enemy.
Mind you, Im talking about dumbed down weight loss 101. Well this entire concept of carb cycling makes them out to be a useful tool for leaning out. Carbs also play huge roll in the science of refeeds/cheat/ or carb ups for a stage or athletic performance. They're essential for certain physiological processes and your gains would be next to nothing without them. I think its better to call them a "frenemy."

I agree with this! A lot of people are so afraid to eat fats, when most of the time its not there problem, another thing that helps me is I eat no carbs in the evening, I try to save all my carbs for the day pre and post workout. Fats are essential to the body and should not be neglected!
I think the average person knowing nothing of dietary techniques would immediately assume that consuming fats equate to adding fat to their body. Cutting carbs by 2PM is a safe bet for cutting. Theres evidence out now that shows older men respond better to the opposite: fats in the morning, carbs in the evening.

TryHard23

TryHard23

Awards
I tried doing this for a while and failed... my ability to train and do cardio as well as work and go to school is just....not possible without my carbs... I felt like a zombie and everything started slipping pretty quickly... I brought my carbs back up to 150-200 and I'm feeling better again. Not great, not as good as I would feel with 3-400 grams ~3000 cals a day but... better. Maybe this summer when I don't have as much going on.... doesn't anyone else just feel like **** when carb depleted? I'm on enough stims as it is too, so I don't want to use that to combat the dullness. Haha.

thestein1016

thestein1016

Awards
  • Established
I tried doing this for a while and failed... my ability to train and do cardio as well as work and go to school is just....not possible without my carbs... I felt like a zombie and everything started slipping pretty quickly... I brought my carbs back up to 150-200 and I'm feeling better again. Not great, not as good as I would feel with 3-400 grams ~3000 cals a day but... better. Maybe this summer when I don't have as much going on.... doesn't anyone else just feel like **** when carb depleted? I'm on enough stims as it is too, so I don't want to use that to combat the dullness. Haha.
What did you drop it down to? For me personally, i consider low carb being <130 (DRE recommends 130g carbs minimum for avg person)
Mind you, thats counting all carbs (secondary carbs) minus fibrous veggies.
And yeah, Im on day 3 of 0 carb for carb depletion phase and lets just say im relying on a lot of stims to walk, let alone hit the gym.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have to have good self control and learn find alternate energy sources. I cut complex carbs first still allowing a few small candies or a piece of fruit when I started my carb cut. Consume it when you get that lethargy, sugar burns fast and really gets you through those times...

TryHard23

TryHard23

Awards
You have to have good self control and learn find alternate energy sources. I cut complex carbs first still allowing a few small candies or a piece of fruit when I started my carb cut. Consume it when you get that lethargy, sugar burns fast and really gets you through those times...
Yeah trying to do a research paper on logical fallacies at the end of the day after the gym with only 80 carbs was just...not possible. I gotta have them lol

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
For me it was only hard the first week or two, after that I feel like my body got adjusted, I go hard on carbs for my refeed, then go low for 5-6 days and just take N2burn Jack3d and Yok3d before I lift or just N2burn before cardio. These help me go hard but I feel like I could workout fine without stims. Im running sprints HIIT and everything full out on low carbs and feel fine haha.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For me it was only hard the first week or two, after that I feel like my body got adjusted, I go hard on carbs for my refeed, then go low for 5-6 days and just take N2burn Jack3d and Yok3d before I lift or just N2burn before cardio. These help me go hard but I feel like I could workout fine without stims. Im running sprints HIIT and everything full out on low carbs and feel fine haha.
Same here first week was hell, now I feel like sh1t if I carb up too much!

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Same here first week was hell, now I feel like sh1t if I carb up too much!

Haha yeah, I enjoy my carbs but I have heard of people bloating up and feeling like sh1t after they eat to much.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Yeah man if I go carb depleted for too long I feel F ing terrible but that just means that a carb refeed is in order :)

TheMaharaja

Awards
Question: My school schedule really sucks, so MWF working out in the morning isn't feasible for me.

Could I run in the AM T/Th/S/Sun and still use the same refeed days?

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
Question: My school schedule really sucks, so MWF working out in the morning isn't feasible for me.

Could I run in the AM T/Th/S/Sun and still use the same refeed days?
I would refeed in your off days. The reason is during that time you ate restoring glycogen levels in your muscles. Other reason is when you carb deplete on training days your body burns the fat for fuel.

You can go it anyway you want just follow day 1-5 deplete days 6-7 refeed

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I am basically training 5 on 2 off right now, mon-fri on refeed on sat - sun while I rest.

TryHard23

TryHard23

Awards
I would refeed in your off days. The reason is during that time you ate restoring glycogen levels in your muscles. Other reason is when you carb deplete on training days your body burns the fat for fuel.

You can go it anyway you want just follow day 1-5 deplete days 6-7 refeed
Using this logic.... if trying to burn fat, you should run after lifting?? but if trying to make gains, you should run.....never? Haha.

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
Using this logic.... if trying to burn fat, you should run after lifting?? but if trying to make gains, you should run.....never? Haha.
You should read the article before you comment. Your inability to understand what I said and make a educated statement leads me to believe you are new to working out or incapable of understanding carb depletion. I said nothing like that.

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
How many daily carbs would you recommend for 14-15% fat at 195 on a cut?
I'm going into a cut and am at 80g in my deplete days working down 10-20g a week till I hit 50 for depletion. I refeed at 300-350g

ONtop888

Banned
Awards
Thanks Dave. When you refeed do you limit carb intake to 80g?

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
Thanks Dave. When you refeed do you limit carb intake to 80g?
No that's 80g or lower on my deplete days. When I refeed on sat and sun its around 300-350g of carbs. Those are also my rest days. Remember those carbs have to be healthy and I consume them in the evening typically. Its usually brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole grain pasta, rye bread or whole grain hamburger buns because I usually have hamburgers for my cheat meals Haha.

For your cut you could prolly go around 250-300g depending how you react. Its something you have to play with because no two people are the same. I go high but that's because my body reacts well and I have a relatively fast metabolism.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Yeah everyone is different and you just kind of have to play around with how many carbs you take. My first day of depleting I take <50 grams carbs then the next 4 days im around 80. Refeed is between 250-350 for me. Just play around with it a bit and you will find out what is best for you.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Anyone getting shredded in here?!

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established