All you low-carb experts...please GTFIH

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys, I need all the tips and experienced opinions I can get. Please bare with me on the long post.

I am struggling with nailing this **** down and it's really pissing me off. Right now, my primary goal is to lose body fat, specifically in the midsection and glutes. That is first and foremost, second is to retain and possibly build as much LBM as I can. I'm not too worried about building a huge amount of muscle right now, that's for later. Right now the focus is to lose fat, fat, fat.

I've ran a keto diet in the past for about 2.5 weeks before I said, "fck it". The energy was nowhere to be found and my workouts were suffering. There was seriously no point in following that **** if I couldn't even last 30 minutes at the gym. Ya, I def. saw the results coming but I think I would've killed myself had I followed it for another week.

Now, what I want to do is take in just around 100g of carbs, all coming from oats. The rest of the cals will come from fats and protein. Here's my dilemma, when I was running that keto diet, I was not feeling "regular". Not trying to get all graphic, but seriously, it can't be OK to not be taking proper #2s. It just did not feel right at all, especially when I was used to eating 2 cups of oats a day and feeling GOOD. I try and shoot for 25-30g of fiber a day, I could not do this on keto, even though I know fiber cals don't count.

My question is, you guys think it's fine to take in all my fat cals from JUST EVOO, coconut oil, eggs, and nuts? I'm talking like half my fat cals from EVOO and coconut oil. It's just a bitch to calculate how much fat I'm ACTUALLY taking in from bacon or 85/15 ground turkey. Bacon is the worst because I don't know if the nutrition facts are formatted for cooked or pre-cooked. If it's for pre-cooked than it's even more of a bitch because you can't exactly know how much fat you just lost through the cooking, blah blah blah. If fat is fat, it shouldn't really matter where it's coming from right? This way I know EXACTLY how much I'm taking in because oils, nuts, and eggs are way easier to measure out than meat.

I would honestly like to keep my foods to a strict circle and endure the fatigue than feel like **** and not be getting in the exact macros. Sorry but my body is very sensitive to these type of things. If I don't get enough cals in and I'm busting my ass in the gym, then I'm working against myself. Oh and with oils, I plan on just putting them in my shakes along with the eggs. I find this incredibly easier than figuring out how much fat I'm going to lose when cooking fatty meat. Plus oils and nuts have healthier fats.

Also, I depend on my oats and flaxmeal for my fiber intake. The flaxmeal is the PERFECT food on low-carbs because all the carbs in it are fiber so essentially it's carb-free. Finally, I would be taking the carbs ONLY pre-workout. This would eliminate the sluggishness for workouts. I'm not concerned about it any other time, I can deal with it, but workouts I must need some kind of fuel.

Obviously, this works out to some kind of TKD or w/e you guys want to call it these days. At least this way I don't have to buy nasty 85/15 ground turkey and ****. I can stick with boneless chicken thighs and lean meats for my protein.

Sorry for the long read here folks but I seriously need some tips and advice, let me know what you guys think. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I really want to make this work.

Oh and as for my workouts. It's gonna be hitting the gym at least 5x a week, cardio for 45 minutes, and lifting for reps in the 10-15 range. For me the size usually comes when strength increases, I'm not worried about that right now. I want to build a solid base before I start any kind of lean bulk.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When i do low carb I focus on getting most of my fat from nuts, avocados, EVO, eggs, etc.

I agree that lean meats are much easier to deal with, and the trace carbs in nuts or avocados is hardly enough to cause a problem with the diet, in my opinion.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the lack of regularity is probably more related to the lack of vegetables... Broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower etc all will have next to no carb impact but have other health benefits including fiber.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you considered taking a fiber supplement Benefiber, Metamucil, etc? I know some people are against them, but when I used to use those often I stayed pretty regular.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've ran a keto diet in the past for about 2.5 weeks before I said, "fck it". The energy was nowhere to be found and my workouts were suffering. There was seriously no point in following that **** if I couldn't even last 30 minutes at the gym. Ya, I def. saw the results coming but I think I would've killed myself had I followed it for another week.
it does take some time to get used to, although 2 weeks is usually more than enough time for your body to adapt. What was your fat intake at during this time? From my experience, the ones who complain of the lack of energy and have a hard time adapting are the ones limiting their fat intake. Once they get over the belief that fat makes you fat and increase it, their energy levels improve

That said, keto isnt for everyone amd by no means is it "needed" for weight loss. If you dont like it or cant stay committed to it, then move on to a different diet

Now, what I want to do is take in just around 100g of carbs, all coming from oats. The rest of the cals will come from fats and protein.
that sounds reasonable. I like a 40/20/49 (p/c/f) macro split and I would recommend to get your carbs from fruit (blueberries and grapefruit are great and may even help with you fat loss goals), veggies and potatoes (red and sweet potatoes is what I recommend) Let the fiber in you diet come from the veggies.

Here's my dilemma, when I was running that keto diet, I was not feeling "regular". Not trying to get all graphic, but seriously, it can't be OK to not be taking proper #2s. It just did not feel right at all, especially when I was used to eating 2 cups of oats a day and feeling GOOD. I try and shoot for 25-30g of fiber a day, I could not do this on keto, even though I know fiber cals don't count.
increase your veggie intake. Shoot for (at minimum) 3 cups of green veggies a day. Aside from the extra fiber they are packed with micronutrients that your diet is most likely lacking.

My question is, you guys think it's fine to take in all my fat cals from JUST EVOO, coconut oil, eggs, and nuts? I'm talking like half my fat cals from EVOO and coconut oil.
thats fine. Just about all my fat comes from red meat, whole eggs and evco.

Also, I depend on my oats and flaxmeal for my fiber intake. The flaxmeal is the PERFECT food on low-carbs because all the carbs in it are fiber so essentially it's carb-free.
i wouldnt recommend flax seeds and not too big of a fan of oatmeal (although oatmeal isnt horrible). Would much rather see someone get their fiber from veggies

Oh and as for my workouts. It's gonna be hitting the gym at least 5x a week, cardio for 45 minutes, and lifting for reps in the 10-15 range.
remember more isnt always better. Are you lifting all 5 days a week? Being in a calorie deficit and training that hard will only set you up for a potential drop in metabolic rate.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Have you considered taking a fiber supplement Benefiber, Metamucil, etc? I know some people are against them, but when I used to use those often I stayed pretty regular.
Fiber is the way to go. Try this supp for sure. It will help you get the results you need