A week off of training while cutting

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
I have been cutting for about the last 12 weeks and have managed to loose 23lbs as of today. I have been pushing myself really hard with high intensity.

I had managed to maintain my strength on all lifts until last week when I was really weak on pressing movements. However, my legs and back are still maintaining strength. I am starting to feel kind of worn down though. I was thinking about taking a break for a week or so to just rest but I am paranoid about loosing strength during that time since I am cutting.

Do you think it will be ok to take a week off completely or should I just drop weights way down and do light workouts for pressing movements?

What do you think???

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That is a long time if you're really dieting hard and putting the intensity at a premium. I'd give yourself a week break and not worry about it at all. A back off or deload week may be just what you need. When are you transitioning to "off" diet?

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I have been cutting for about the last 12 weeks and have managed to loose 23lbs as of today. I have been pushing myself really hard with high intensity.

I had managed to maintain my strength on all lifts until last week when I was really weak on pressing movements. However, my legs and back are still maintaining strength. I am starting to feel kind of worn down though. I was thinking about taking a break for a week or so to just rest but I am paranoid about loosing strength during that time since I am cutting.

Do you think it will be ok to take a week off completely or should I just drop weights way down and do light workouts for pressing movements?

What do you think???
Honestly don't worry about it. I've been away from the gym for weeks and still not lost much strength or muscle. I would definitely take a week off, if you try pushing through this fatigue you could really damage yourself as I have done recently. Take a complete break from the gym, increase your cals get plenty of sleep and then start over.

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards
I've recently taken a complete week off of training, weight training at least, to let my body recover from a long period of dieting and training. I actually noticed my weight drop several pounds during this time for some reason! Which was conclusive to my goals, of course. Coming back after this week off of weight training, I noticed my strength was at least maintained and in some cases had increased. Your body grows during rest...let your body have some time off and it will likely do wonders for your progress. Personally, I hate not training, makes me feel lazy. Do some light cardio if you would like during this time off, no harm done!

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies guys! I went ahead and am taking a week off. My last day in the gym was last Fri and am not going back until this Mon. so i'll have just over a week off.

@Natestreo - I also have noticed that I have still been able to drop a couple pounds during the last 5 days even without working out.

I am so excited to get back into the gym though now! I am feeling great, energized and ready to go! Its a struggle to keep telling myself that I am going to take this entire time off.