Poll: Antioxydants - Significant help or money wasted?

Antioxydants : How much do they help YOU?

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Quote Originally Posted by FlawedGrunt View Post
    Some may agree or disagree but I would really be careful as to how much Vitamin C you pump in your body, i don't see a problem with a G or 2, but there is a such thing as Vitamin C overdose... I'm almost positive I had it once and it was horrible

I got sick and normally ill slam orange juice and take some 500mg Vitamin C tabs... well this time good ol me was at walmart and saw 1000mg tabs. So i picked up a bottle... slammed two of them right away... slammed a big ass jug of orange juice and took like 2-3 more tabs that night

The next day i had really wierd sensations in my esophagaus (sp?) and would get really wierd sensations like 2-3 seconds after i swallowed food or water. It took this about a week or two to go away and it only got more painful to the point where i wasnt eating or drinking

I will try to do some more research and post something

On another aspect I take:
    Vitamin C
    Grape Seed Extract
    Green Tea Extract
    Multi
    Chromium
    My max in one day was around 100g when I was really sick, the only side effect you get is diareha which isn't too bad considering you're already sick and miserable VS the benefits you get from it.

2. HOLY **** SON! I think im gonna keep it at around 2g's a day

actually i do love vitamin C tho, ever since i discovered slammed OJ and taking some C pills helps sickness ive been getting over colds like nothing
    •   

3. so on to another question....

When do you guys feel its most important to take your vitamins?

I read somewhere recently that Vitamin C can also be a staple to Post Workout Nutrition... let me see if i can find the link

Research has shown that taking vitamin C post-workout reduces post-workout soreness and cortisol levels. Cortisol is a catabolic (muscle-destroying) hormone that is released during and after intense exercise. So reducing it as soon as possible after a workout is imperative.
    Taken from Post-Workout Drink - Part Two: Optional Ingredients

^^^^
    Some good PWO info on there for newbs (myself included, considering i havent done much PWO in the past)

4. Quote Originally Posted by FlawedGrunt View Post
    so on to another question....

I read somewhere recently that Vitamin C can also be a staple to Post Workout Nutrition... let me see if i can find the link

^^^^
    Some good PWO info on there for newbs (myself included, considering i havent done much PWO in the past)
    I'd think spreading out smaller doses throughout the day is optimal since Vitamin C's half-life is only half an hour.

5. I take 1oz of wheatgrass a day, and will continue to do so till the day I die! It's amazing stuff...the taste I can leave though. :donut:
    •   

6. I have found what matters is consistancy of intake, and of course off days, you can get too much of a good thing especially fat soluble. I always take off periods for everything even if its a day or two.

7. Quote Originally Posted by FlawedGrunt View Post
    so on to another question....

^^^^
    Antioxidants are definitely very vital to many overall body processes ranging from cellular maintenance/growth, immune system upregulation, and disease prevention.

The majority of studies that i have read indicate that a certain degree of free radical damage is beneficial.....espcecially in the muscle hypertrophy aspect.

The free radical induced cascade that commences from weight training aspects contribues to the anabolic process. However, if this free radical cascade is left to snowball for a prolonged period of time, those benefits can easily turn into detrimental effects that can harm your overall progress.

The key is to allow just enough time for this free radical cascade to commence and produce damage effect benefits, but halt it in its tracks before the beneficial aspect is lost. I would recommend taking them in the early evening, or just before bed on training days.

I did a write-up for our NOxidant product in our section that breaks down the process a bit better. It's actually a very interesting subject, and i continue to follow up on research in this regard.

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. QUIZ: How much do you know about what you eat?
    By yeahright in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 03:30 AM
  2. How much do you improvise during your workouts?
    By BPB in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 03:33 PM
  3. How much do you increase the weights you lift each time?
    By Gaf Knee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 08:57 PM
  4. How much do you spend on bodybuilding!?
    By JBlaze in forum General Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-19-2003, 02:20 PM
  5. How much do you spend
    By Patuba in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2002, 05:48 PM