Antioxydants : How much do they help YOU? - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Poll: Antioxydants - Significant help or money wasted?

Antioxydants : How much do they help YOU?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.

Anyone have any experience with Idebenone?
    MOTIV8 II Challenge
    -=The Big Squirrel Nut Swingers=-

2. New Member

I don't feel a difference when I stop taking them but my skin looks a lot better when I do. That's worth it to me.
  3. Banned

Do you lift HARD, blondebombshell? My ex-wife lifted pretty hard and when she began taking them, bam, her lifts and definition, energy levels, skin, EVERYTHING was made almost instantly better...
    •   

4. New Member

HEY GUYS HAVE ANY OF YOU HEARD OF PROTANDIM ITS EXPENSIVE BUT FROM WHAT THE WEBSITE SAYS THERES NO BEATING IT
    JUST WANT YOUR OPINION
  5. New Member

Follow the formula and diy.

Nothing fanciful.

Faustus
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

In theory and application protandim sounds good, some of these supps have unpleaseant sides for some people, mostly gastrointestinal in nature. A person has to experiment and see what works for them and remember to take breaks from all supps on a regular basis IMO
  7. Senior Member

8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

That's not a bad price all things considered. I just mixed up a custom blend of Bilberry, Grapeseed, Broccoli Extract and SOD..that was expensive. I took several doses of plain SOD and wow, you can feel it go to work not unlike that very first dose of grapeseed extract.

I'll probably just go with Life Extension's Mix from now on. That would save me buying multiple bottles of stuff..vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It's expensive but it is very highly regarded.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.

I think in some of the best antioxidants are Acai fruit extract/concentrate, Pomegranate concentrate, and blackberry concentrate. Mix some of this with something to reduce glycation (like carnosine), and some ALCAR with k-r-ala and you really are set for a good long life.

Adding a good broccoli concentrate would be nice. And medicinal adaptogenic herbs like polygonum and gynostemma will round it off very nicely.

In fact, mix all of this together with some Xylitol and stevia (both have health benefits aside from reducing sugar intake), and you'll actually have a pretty good tasting "immortality" drink.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
    MOTIV8 II Challenge
    -=The Big Squirrel Nut Swingers=-
  10. New Member

Daily
    Vit C 4000 mgs
    Vit E mixed tocopherols 500 mgs
    Green tea conc ex 660 mgs
    Grape seed conc ex 660 mgs
    Gynostemma p. conc ex 750 mgs
    Milk Thistle conc ex 500 mgs
    Polyganum m. conc ex 100 mgs
    NAC 500 mgs
    Co-Q10 50 mgs
    Selegiline 1 mg
    ALA 100 mgs
    Piracetam 3000 mgs
    Spirulina 3000 mgs
    Tumeric 3000 mgs

Breakfast seems to go on forever with the amount of pills I take. Most thinks I can mix into a drink, which tastes like a karmic payback from a previous life but
    I dont want to become "me"-oxide.
    It definitely made/makes a differents to recovery, mental state, immune response and over sense of well being.
  11. New Member

Yeah - I'm a big fan of antioxidants.

I take R - ALA, COQ10, gettin some green tea too.

There's just too much good science out there to ignore their benefit.
  12. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait
    Anybody have experience with Selenium?
    I heard that when athletes drop dead(heart attack) in play it is often due to a complete depletion of selenium...
    When you are doing rediculous amounts of cardio ect you can run the risk of sweating it all out .......

just what i heard
  13. New Member

I've recently had awesome results from adding a ton of green tea to my diet and about 3grams of vitamin C a day. It was about the only thing I was missing in my supplement arsenal for some reason or another and it has helped in a huge way. I seem to always get sick during winter time, often too, and I have yet to have anything. I am also currently cutting and my weights in the gym have my skyrocketing while in the mean time the scale and bodyfat is droppping... really don't know what else to attribute it to other than adding these to my diet. Definitely had strength and weight stuck before I added these suckers. Big believer for sure.
  14. New Member

drink pom its full of antioxidents
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mindgames View Post
    Yeah - I'm a big fan of antioxidants.

I take R - ALA, COQ10, gettin some green tea too.

There's just too much good science out there to ignore their benefit.
    Its been suggested to take biotin with R-ala. I dont know how true this is
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  209 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    Its been suggested to take biotin with R-ala. I dont know how true this is
    very true. Truer than a heart attack. ALA depletes biotin

-TF
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.

Some may agree or disagree but I would really be careful as to how much Vitamin C you pump in your body, i don't see a problem with a G or 2, but there is a such thing as Vitamin C overdose... I'm almost positive I had it once and it was horrible

I got sick and normally ill slam orange juice and take some 500mg Vitamin C tabs... well this time good ol me was at walmart and saw 1000mg tabs. So i picked up a bottle... slammed two of them right away... slammed a big ass jug of orange juice and took like 2-3 more tabs that night

The next day i had really wierd sensations in my esophagaus (sp?) and would get really wierd sensations like 2-3 seconds after i swallowed food or water. It took this about a week or two to go away and it only got more painful to the point where i wasnt eating or drinking

I will try to do some more research and post something

On another aspect I take:
    Vitamin C
    Grape Seed Extract
    Green Tea Extract
    Multi
    Chromium
  18. Advanced Member

I suggest you look up Linus Pauling as far as how much vitamin C the body can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedGrunt View Post
    Some may agree or disagree but I would really be careful as to how much Vitamin C you pump in your body, i don't see a problem with a G or 2, but there is a such thing as Vitamin C overdose... I'm almost positive I had it once and it was horrible

I got sick and normally ill slam orange juice and take some 500mg Vitamin C tabs... well this time good ol me was at walmart and saw 1000mg tabs. So i picked up a bottle... slammed two of them right away... slammed a big ass jug of orange juice and took like 2-3 more tabs that night

The next day i had really wierd sensations in my esophagaus (sp?) and would get really wierd sensations like 2-3 seconds after i swallowed food or water. It took this about a week or two to go away and it only got more painful to the point where i wasnt eating or drinking

Vitamin C
    Grape Seed Extract
    Green Tea Extract
    Multi
    Chromium
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.

I am by no means saying that Vitamin C is not good for you because obviously it is very helpful in our lifestyle and i think Vitamin C overdose is rather rare but it can happen and its not pleasant. Like any other supplement or vitamin i wouldnt go putting 40,000mg in my body. Judge what your body can handle, everyone is different obviously. Here is some info.

PS - That Linus Pauling is one ugly mofo hahaha

by Kelly Ann Griffin
    Catching a cold? Load up on your Vitamin C. This has been a common public prescription and an accepted staple in fighting sickness for several decades, as the vitamin is readily available in grocery and drug stores as a dietary supplement. The main reason for this now widespread belief can be traced to a book titled, Vitamin C and the Common Cold, which was published by Nobel Peace Prize winner Linus Pauling in 1970. He prescribed that the intake of 1,000 mg of the vitamin daily would eliminate the occurrence of the common cold by 45% and even help to delay the onset of most cancers. Dr. Stephen Barrett, vice-president of the National Council Against Health Fraud, reported in his article, The Dark Side of Linus Pauling's Legacy, that "Pauling himself reportedly took at least 12,000 mg daily and raised the amount to 40,000 mg if symptoms of a cold appear." The Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) only advise 75 - 90 mg daily for adults, and a bit higher for adult smokers (110-125 mg). Certain Vitamin C supplements on the store shelf contain 1,000 mg of the vitamin in each dosage, and permit four doses per day. An overdose of Vitamin C does occur and is now being critically investigated by medical scientists.

So what does Vitamin C actually do?
    Vitamin C, or Ascorbic Acid, benefits the body in several ways, from its ability to preserve skin elasticity, to providing better iron absorption, and efficient fighting against infection. The British Navy discovered its curing power against Scurvy, a Vitamin C deficiency, in the eighteenth century when Scottish surgeon, James Lind, proved the effectiveness of citrus foods in curing this common, yet sometimes fatal "sea disease." The main appeal to consumers today is the vitamin's antioxidant properties. Our bodies have natural levels of molecules known as free radicals, which contain an unpaired electron; however, they have the potential to cause grave damage if produced in abundance. Over generation of free radicals are linked to such chronic diseases as heart disease and the development of cancer. Antioxidants therefore are essential to maintain a healthy balance, for as they interact with free radicals, they can prohibit a damaging chain reaction of cell destruction. The body's main antioxidants are Vitamin E, Beta-Carotene, and needless to say, Vitamin C. Humans and a few other species do not have the ability to synthesize their own Vitamin C, making intake of the vitamin through foods and supplements vital.

Natural Intake Versus Supplements
    Certain foods contain natural high amounts of Vitamin C. Citrus fruits are well known for their significant quantities of the vitamin, such as oranges, grapefruits, cantaloupe, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangos, papayas and strawberries. Vegetable also have the vitamin, including peppers, broccoli, cabbage, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and spinach. Interestingly, there is a difference between natural food and vitamin supplement intake. Fruits and vegetables contain Vitamin C in its ascorbic and dehydroascorbic acid forms, whereas vitamin supplements contain only the former. The latter is the oxygenized form of ascorbic acid, and its importance lies in the fact that only dehydroascorbic acid can transport the barrier into the brain. The department of neurological surgery at Columbia University has completed a study on the necessity of dehydroascorbic acid, stating that, "Although the antioxidant ascorbic acid (AA) or vitamin C does not penetrate the bloodbrain barrier (BBB), its oxidized form, dehydroascorbic acid (DHA), enters the brain by means of facilitative transport. We hypothesized that i.v. [intravenous] DHA would improve outcome after stroke because of its ability to cross the BBB and augment brain antioxidant levels." Consequently, natural food may be a better route for the intake of this vitamin.

Signs of Overdose
    The positive aspect of Vitamin C overdose is that it can be controlled by simply limiting one's intake. Vitamin C is nontoxic and not stored by the body; overdose tends to be rare. Increased levels above the RDAs recommendation can be legitimate in medical cases such as trauma, fever, or infection. However, continued excessive use of the vitamin can cause some negative, harmful symptoms of overdose. Overdose amounts often vary upon individual, as factors such as age, genes, and the ratio of other reactive elements in the body can affect the results. Diarrhea is the most common symptom of Vitamin C overdose, minimally requiring an intake between 500-2500 mg daily. Also, symptoms such as gas, stomach cramps, nausea, increased urination, insomnia, and back/joint pain can occur. Other negative side effects are possible, as the previous list contains the more common outcomes. Another notable damaging effect of Vitamin C overdose is its cause for the deficiency of copper, an essential element in our bodies. Present throughout the body and in the blood, copper helps in a variety of manners, from production

of connective tissues, to the aid in blood clotting and wound healing, to helping in production of red blood cells and bones. As to the long-term negative health effects of Vitamin C overdose, scientists remain inconclusive.

Can Vitamin C help your body? Of course, it is an essential vitamin for the body's overall health and performance. Many athletes take daily supplements to increase the optimization of the immune system and decrease time needed between exercising sessions. Vitamin C will still help in preventing sickness as it does boost our immune system, yet the widely accepted belief of super dosage should be cautioned by consumers, as it is currently with researchers. Overdose is possible and one should keep their intake within the RDA's boundaries. Pregnant women and children under 18 also require less of the vitamin. Catching a cold? Think twice about excessive intake of Vitamin C the next time the throat begins to pain and the nose clogs up. Vitamin C is beneficial, but within reason.

Works Cited

J. Huang, et al. "Dehydroascorbic Acid, a BloodBrain Barrier Transportable Form of Vitamin C, Mediates Potent Cerebroprotection in Experimental Stroke," http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/98/20/11720.pdf

Nutritional Supplements Guide, "Vitamin C Overdose," http://www.nutritional-supplements-guide.com/vitamin -c-overdose.html

Stephen Barrett, "The Dark Side of Linus Pauling's Legacy," http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pa uling.html
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.

I am by no means saying that Vitamin C is not good for you because obviously it is very helpful in our lifestyle and i think Vitamin C overdose is rather rare but it can happen and its not pleasant. Like any other supplement or vitamin i wouldnt go putting 40,000mg in my body. Judge what your body can handle, everyone is different obviously. Here is some info.

PS - That Linus Pauling is one ugly mofo hahaha
    Overdose seems like a pretty harsh term for what is basically when the bad effects start to outweigh the good effects. Typically when someone uses the term overdose, they're referring to a potentially fatal incident. From what you included here and what I've read, nobody is dying from vitamin C mega dosing.

If you do find yourself "overdosing" on vitamin C, all you have to do is stop taking it and drink a lot of water.
  21. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Vitamin C
    Grape Seed Extract
    Green Tea Extract
    Multi
    Chromium
    My max in one day was around 100g when I was really sick, the only side effect you get is diareha which isn't too bad considering you're already sick and miserable VS the benefits you get from it.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.

HOLY **** SON! I think im gonna keep it at around 2g's a day

actually i do love vitamin C tho, ever since i discovered slammed OJ and taking some C pills helps sickness ive been getting over colds like nothing
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.

so on to another question....

When do you guys feel its most important to take your vitamins?

I read somewhere recently that Vitamin C can also be a staple to Post Workout Nutrition... let me see if i can find the link

Research has shown that taking vitamin C post-workout reduces post-workout soreness and cortisol levels. Cortisol is a catabolic (muscle-destroying) hormone that is released during and after intense exercise. So reducing it as soon as possible after a workout is imperative.
    Taken from Post-Workout Drink - Part Two: Optional Ingredients

^^^^
    Some good PWO info on there for newbs (myself included, considering i havent done much PWO in the past)
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.

I read somewhere recently that Vitamin C can also be a staple to Post Workout Nutrition... let me see if i can find the link

^^^^
    Some good PWO info on there for newbs (myself included, considering i havent done much PWO in the past)
    I'd think spreading out smaller doses throughout the day is optimal since Vitamin C's half-life is only half an hour.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.

I take 1oz of wheatgrass a day, and will continue to do so till the day I die! It's amazing stuff...the taste I can leave though. :donut:
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

I have found what matters is consistancy of intake, and of course off days, you can get too much of a good thing especially fat soluble. I always take off periods for everything even if its a day or two.
  27. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

^^^^
    Antioxidants are definitely very vital to many overall body processes ranging from cellular maintenance/growth, immune system upregulation, and disease prevention.

The majority of studies that i have read indicate that a certain degree of free radical damage is beneficial.....espcecially in the muscle hypertrophy aspect.

The free radical induced cascade that commences from weight training aspects contribues to the anabolic process. However, if this free radical cascade is left to snowball for a prolonged period of time, those benefits can easily turn into detrimental effects that can harm your overall progress.

The key is to allow just enough time for this free radical cascade to commence and produce damage effect benefits, but halt it in its tracks before the beneficial aspect is lost. I would recommend taking them in the early evening, or just before bed on training days.

I did a write-up for our NOxidant product in our section that breaks down the process a bit better. It's actually a very interesting subject, and i continue to follow up on research in this regard.

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. QUIZ: How much do you know about what you eat?
    By yeahright in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 01:30 AM
  2. How much do you improvise during your workouts?
    By BPB in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 01:33 PM
  3. How much do you increase the weights you lift each time?
    By Gaf Knee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 06:57 PM
  4. How much do you spend on bodybuilding!?
    By JBlaze in forum General Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-19-2003, 12:20 PM
  5. How much do you spend
    By Patuba in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2002, 03:48 PM