Help with Muscle loss

TrainInsane92

Awards
Hey guys. I looked around and have became quite confused with the amount of information out there regarding cutting weight while retaining muscle. I had major success with a very low carb, high protein diet and managed to drop from 255-190. I lifted 3 times a week ( mainly heavy compound lifts ) and did cardio 3 days a week. Only problem was I lost a major amount of strength/muscle even though my diet was very high in protein. Since then I've gotten back up to 215lbs and the plan is now to aim to drop down to 180-185 range. My question is besides a high protein diet and heavy lifting, how can I retain as much muscle as possible? In my previous weight loss , the weight was falling off at a very fast rate, should I try and lose it at a slower rate ( 2-3 pounds ) a week, would that help?

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Carbs are necessary for muscle gain man.... Solely protein is not going to do the job... Low carbs are also responsible for loss of strength. Carb up man! keep the cardio up and add in carbs, If you see yourself gaining fat cut off SOME amount of carbs but don't cut all of it.

I would suggest increasing carbs in your meals and add in some fair amount of slow cardio to keep the BF at bay...

Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg

Awards
so... 2-3 pounds a week would be a slower rate? what was your weight loss rate last time you cut? 2-3 pounds a week is still very fast, and still indicative of an extreme calorie deficit that will lead to inevitable muscle loss. I would recommend shooting for 1-2 pounds a week, and at this rate you should be able to maintain *most* of your muscle mass.

Go Away

Go Away

Awards
What's your healthy fat intake look like? If you cut carbs you gotta have the fats in there.

And you can easily see great fat loss results while eating carbs. Just calorie count and be in a deficit of 500-1000 per day, allow one cheat meal a week... You can try a balance of 20% healthy fats/40% complex carbs/40% lean protein, and stay in that deficit - you'll be golden.

Have your lifting workouts no longer than an hour and add 30-45 minutes of low intensity cardio to the end of the lifting... Dude, you'll see results easy.

Eating ****ty and using clen is a bad idea IMHO... Here's why:
Your body views food as a drug when it ingests fatty sugary food. Comfort food is called that because your brain releases endorphins to make you feel good when it gets that bacon cheeseburger or those honey buns. You'll eventually crash from the Endorphin rush, and your brain says "yo, we feel bad. Give us more of that feel good stuff" and boom... Your craving for that cheeseburger kicks in. The more you feed the beast the less time in between cravings. The more cravings, the worse you feel. This also promotes cortisol production because you're feeling stressed - torn between your weight lifting and physique goals and these feelings of hunger for ****ty foods. Cortisol prohibits muscle growth...

If you clean your diet up you'll just crave fuel. If you choose healthy fuel, essentially you just become hungry and not needy for those burgers and milk shakes.

Clea up the diet and reap the benefits. Eat bad and use clen... when the clen stops being used you're still gonna battle the **** food cravings.

Marathon, not a race my dude!

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Have your lifting workouts no longer than an hour and add 30-45 minutes of low intensity cardio to the end of the lifting... Dude, you'll see results easy.
By this He means, lower the rest times between your sets and exercises... Train intense!
Also use water more, stay hydrated before, between and after your workouts!

Blacho45

Blacho45

Awards
Hey guys. I looked around and have became quite confused with the amount of information out there regarding cutting weight while retaining muscle. I had major success with a very low carb, high protein diet and managed to drop from 255-190. I lifted 3 times a week ( mainly heavy compound lifts ) and did cardio 3 days a week. Only problem was I lost a major amount of strength/muscle even though my diet was very high in protein. Since then I've gotten back up to 215lbs and the plan is now to aim to drop down to 180-185 range. My question is besides a high protein diet and heavy lifting, how can I retain as much muscle as possible? In my previous weight loss , the weight was falling off at a very fast rate, should I try and lose it at a slower rate ( 2-3 pounds ) a week, would that help?
You can give ketogenics a chance. Google it.