Newbie diet help

Jason55w

Awards
Hey guys I have been lifting for many years but just over the past 2 have really tried to start eating cleaner/healthier. I have put on over 40 pounds during the past 2 years and looking to cut now. This is my current diet that I have plugged into fitday to calculate my macros and cals (3022 cals , 136.1 grams fat, 238.1 grams carbs, and 223.1 grams protein). I am 5ft8 and weigh 185 lbs. Diet is

Meal 1
6 egg whites 2 whole eggs scrambled
1 pack instant brown sugar oatmeal

Meal 2
Tuna sandwich (whole can tuna on wheat bread)
Banana
6 oz yogurt
Handful almonds

Workout

Post workout meal
8 oz chicken breast grilled
1/2 cup green beans
1/2 cup black beans
Banana
Protein shake

Meal 4
8 oz chicken breast
1/2 cup pasta
1/2 cup broccoli
6 oz yogurt
Handful almonds

Meal 5
Pb and j
1 cup whole milk

Meal 6
Same as meal 4

Protein shake before bed

I am looking to keep the lean muscle but shed a little bf. I have not had my bf calculated ( but according to army standards I am at 19%). Thanks in advance for your advice!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
if you are truly around 19% then you can easily shed some body fat without muscle loss....your cals seem high to me for cutting and again with the higher bodyfat you can afford to drop cals lower.

mccallister

Awards
Have your protein shake immediately post workout, then your meal about an hour later

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
i would definitely go a lot less carbs and less calories

EarlPo

Awards
x2

Drop the breads, milk, pasta (esp for meal 6), bananas, taper off carbs as you go thru the day. Make most of your foods come from lean meats/ green veggies and you'll be set

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am in agreement with the above. That is too many calories for cutting.

I would try to aim for around 1800-2200 if you are serious about cutting fat.

Blacho45

Blacho45

Awards
Hey guys I have been lifting for many years but just over the past 2 have really tried to start eating cleaner/healthier. I have put on over 40 pounds during the past 2 years and looking to cut now. This is my current diet that I have plugged into fitday to calculate my macros and cals (3022 cals , 136.1 grams fat, 238.1 grams carbs, and 223.1 grams protein). I am 5ft8 and weigh 185 lbs. Diet is

Meal 1
6 egg whites 2 whole eggs scrambled
1 pack instant brown sugar oatmeal

Meal 2
Tuna sandwich (whole can tuna on wheat bread)
Banana
6 oz yogurt
Handful almonds

Workout

Post workout meal
8 oz chicken breast grilled
1/2 cup green beans
1/2 cup black beans
Banana
Protein shake

Meal 4
8 oz chicken breast
1/2 cup pasta
1/2 cup broccoli
6 oz yogurt
Handful almonds

Meal 5
Pb and j
1 cup whole milk

Meal 6
Same as meal 4

Protein shake before bed

I am looking to keep the lean muscle but shed a little bf. I have not had my bf calculated ( but according to army standards I am at 19%). Thanks in advance for your advice!
Just like everyone ^ is saying. Find your needed caloric intake per day (google how to find it if you don't know) and set your goal for each at 500 less than your needed. That is a good start for calories and also cut out excess carbs, when I cut I like to keep my carbs per day below 50g. JMO.