Building muscle while burning fat

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
There is a good thread on here that details recomping, search for "Unreals guide to a recomp" or something like that

rynie27

Awards
That IMO is the only way to workout/diet. I have done the see-saw wayy too many times, getting sloppy with diet because I tell myself "I'm bulking I need 3 cups of rice and 4 chicken breasts at each meal to put on mass"

BriceBurnsRed

Awards
That IMO is the only way to workout/diet. I have done the see-saw wayy too many times, getting sloppy with diet because I tell myself "I'm bulking I need 3 cups of rice and 4 chicken breasts at each meal to put on mass"
Yeah.. I've been reading a lot more about people switching from the traditional bulk/cut cycles to just straight "lean bulking"

To address OP, yes it is very possible as stated above. The amount of fat loss though will depend on a few factors including how much fat you have to lose, how much muscle mass you have already, etc etc.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
recomping could be very rewarding if done properly.

kowalsik

Awards
It's much easier for people who are new to working out, if your doing it naturally.

Rethink

Awards
Its a very realistic expectation to both increase muscle mass and decrease body fat when you are a beginner with less than a year of training. You can expect to increase muscle mass while losing weight as opposed to "recomp" which is the term people use for hovering around the same weight while slowly shifting weight from body fat to muscle mass.

Personally, while I don't recommend "bulking" I feel "recomp" is likely to lead to stalled progress in terms of weight loss. I would recommend you simply try losing weight in the conventional sense and once you reach your goal weight follow a normal healthy eating pattern while you plan to gain muscle. This should work provided you aren't the type of person who struggles to maintain their weight with a normal healthy eating pattern.

Jameson653

Jameson653

Awards
I wonder if i should stop my own weight loss now and start on a recomp diet to achieve that 6 pack I want.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Eat right, lift weights do cardio.

PowerliftNY

Awards
depends on your goals... if your looking to gain lots of muscle and loose lots of fat at the same time NO! If you want to gain a little muscle while loosing a little fat YES! If your going at a slow and steady pace then its def possible! If you want to bulk then you have to bulk. If you want to cut then you have to cut. Basicly if you want to see a dramatic result on one end then no but if you want to see small gains on both ends over an extended period of time yes! And like others have said to the new commer or the over weight person its much eaiser!