Thoughts on this workout program - AnabolicMinds.com

Thoughts on this workout program

Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.

Thoughts on this workout program

I just read the book 'Bigger,Leaner, Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body by Michael Matthews. This the the workout plan he recommends no matter if you are bulking or cutting (which I am). I am used to doing more sets and higher reps than this. I have been working out for years but have not followed a plan like this one really. What is everyone's thoughts on this workout plan. My nutrition and diet are spot on right now so I think I will see results from most plans but I like that this is short and heavy. You basically do this plan along with 4 days of cardio and then substitute some of the workout every few months. Most of these are compound lifts.

Day 1: Chest & Abs
    Flat Dumbbell Press 3 x 6
    Decline Press 3 x 6
    Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 6
    Flat or Incline Flys 3 x 6
    Abs (2 exercises)
    Day 2: Back & Calves
    One-Arm Dumbbell Row 3 x6
    Front Lat Pulldown 3 x 6
    Seated Cable Row 3 x 6
    Standing Calf Raises 6 x 6
    Day 3: Shoulders
    Arnold Presses 3 x 6
    Side Lateral Raise 3 x 6
    Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise 3 x 6
    Day 4: Legs
    Squats: 3 x 6
    Leg Press: 3 x 6
    Leg Extensions 3 x 6
    Leg Curls 3 x 6
    Day 5: Arms and Abs
    Dumbbell Curls 3 x 6
    Barbell Curl 3 x 6
    Tricep Pushdown 3 x 6
    Seated Tricep Press 3 x 6
    Abs (2 exercises)

Not enough volume. Personally not a fan of low rep training.

Bro i would possibly add an exercise such as dbell fly or cable extension to really open up the chest.
    •   

Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

^^ I thinks same. I'm also not fan of decline bench. Switch it for flat or some fly as stated. Is there a main reason for the low reps low volume during ur cut? Just looking foe lil more info on your goals.
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    ^^ I thinks same. I'm also not fan of decline bench. Switch it for flat or some fly as stated. Is there a main reason for the low reps low volume during ur cut? Just looking foe lil more info on your goals.

Never tried a workout plan like this before. I definitely am used to more volume that is why I posted this up to get some opinions. You are suppose to lift as heavy as possible on all lifts. Using this lifting plan while on a cut is suppose to help with maintaining or even increasing strength. I do not necessarily like decline bench either. I do however like decline flys. What do you prefer in order to really hit the lower chest? Thanks

Goals are to drop another 15 pounds in the next 6 weeks. So far I have dropped 13 in the first 6 weeks on my cut but my strength has suffered.
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull86 View Post
    Bro i would possibly add an exercise such as dbell fly or cable extension to really open up the chest.
    My thoughts exactly. If I try this program I was thinking of adding in some flys and some pullovers occasionally. Something besides a press.
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing2594 View Post
    Not enough volume. Personally not a fan of low rep training.
    I agree but this whole concept is about thinking outside the box. More of 'Overloading' the muscle and not completely tearing it down. There is a fine line between not enough and too much and I think it varies from person to person. I may give this a go for a few weeks and see how it works out. My first thought was the same as yours though - not enough

True but over loading could be done in a number of rep ranges without killing yourself lol. I read an article by Scott abel not too long ago were he was talking about general program design and used every rep range from 6-25. I don't think something like this would hurt if you stuck to it for like 2-3 weeks though. When Fouad Abiad was training with Haney Rambod(not sure if he still is) he'd cycle from moderate volume/fst7 work to more a more max-ot type of training every 3 weeks or so.
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.

Yeah I was thinking about maybe doing this for 1 or 2 weeks every now and again. I like to change things up it keeps it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing2594 View Post
    True but over loading could be done in a number of rep ranges without killing yourself lol. I read an article by Scott abel not too long ago were he was talking about general program design and used every rep range from 6-25. I don't think something like this would hurt if you stuck to it for like 2-3 weeks though. When Fouad Abiad was training with Haney Rambod(not sure if he still is) he'd cycle from moderate volume/fst7 work to more a more max-ot type of training every 3 weeks or so.
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

My thoughts are your going to loose strength during your cut not matter what. Less ur juicing. Focus on muscle shaping also some higher reps to fill you muscles with a nice pump n thus deliver nutriants to them.

Maybe incorporate some low Rep strengthen exercise but that shouldn't be the focus during a cut. You want your muscles to be nice n full with good shape.. n strength training isn't the way to go for that..

Also u want your workouts to burn lots of Cal in boost ur metabolic rate.. low reps aren't the best for this either.. just my thoughts though ..

Who Will Win The Arnold Classic 2012 Title? | Notable Arnold Classic Amateur 2012 Contestant | Arnold Strongman Classic 2012 Thread | Arnold Classic 2012 Results | Arnold Classic 2012

I tried something similar to this before. Because of the low reps, I look less pumped but more dense.

Good luck!

Imo I prefer supersets while cutting. Your dropping calories so you will prbly lose strength no matter what unless you are a genetic beast like Dexter and don't have to do cardio to lean out.
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by uknowme62 View Post
    Imo I prefer supersets while cutting. Your dropping calories so you will prbly lose strength no matter what unless you are a genetic beast like Dexter and don't have to do cardio to lean out.
    Yeah I am currently doing a lot of supersets. Using Kris Gethin's 12 week transformation workout program. I like to have something to follow and he never does the same workout twice. I will be running Helladrol shortly while cutting so I may throw in some lower reps with heavy weight in an attempt to increase strength. Weight is currently falling off but unfortunately losing some muscle and strength as well.
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat90 View Post
    I tried something similar to this before. Because of the low reps, I look less pumped but more dense.
    I am wanting more of the shredded look so for now I will stay with some higher reps and just focus on intensity and good form.

Thanks

Lyle Mcdonald debunks the myth of high reps to "get cut". This is old broscience thinking. You should NEVER cut intensity, only volume
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by zebediah23 View Post
    Lyle Mcdonald debunks the myth of high reps to "get cut". This is old broscience thinking. You should NEVER cut intensity, only volume
    Thanks for the info man. I will check that out.

I concure

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

No man is an Island.
    S.N.S. Rep

T-bone@seriousnutritionsolutions .com

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Link?

Or is this in one of his books?
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Link?

Or is this in one of his books?
    He might be referring to these:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ss-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ss-part-2.html

Although it seems to me that he is advocating a mixture of "metabolic" and "tension" training, not explicitly saying you should only do lower volume work.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 3 day workout program
    By sportsnh in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-24-2011, 06:21 AM
  2. need help with a workout program
    By live to lift in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 11:13 PM
  3. Cutting program- thoughts?
    By nab0610 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0