Need Help Cutting!

LetsLift59

Awards
Im trying to get real cut for the summer and get my abs and whole body chiseled....im 5'10 180lbs ..and last time i checked i got 13% bf% so how do i get my bf% down more and how can i get real defined..thanks for the tips.

Ratiocinative

Awards
5'10 180lb is going to be around 20%, more if you're not very strong. Lower your calorie intake and you will lose weight. Personally I find fasting the easiest way to do it, but just about any method of lowering your overall calorie intake will work.

GTO4me

GTO4me

Awards
Not to sound like an ass but fasting is not the way you want to go. Your body has to have food for fuel and you will lose a lot of muscle if you don't feed your body! Pick and choose what foods you eat wisely. Lots of lean protein and good greens. Basically cardio is the key. I like to do mine at the end of my workout. Lifting to exhaustion will burn up the glucose in your body and the fat will fuel your cardio.

alewisdvm

Awards
I think fasting sucks also....

Personally,
Just download a program like myfitnesspal.

Track your calories. Pain in the beginning.
figure out your maintenance calories (program helps easily) and then make sure you are at least in a 500 calorie deficit each day.

I started in end of last September. Never did a cut before and just started working out.
Maintained roughly a 500 cal deficit and some basic supplements. Went from 176 to 158 and still cutting (didn't have to stress about fasting and feeling like ____)

Cardio is key! as the other poster said. I wanted to eat, but the more calories you burn the more free food you get to eat.
I did elliptical (have flat feet and this was best for me) for about 40-60 minutes 5 days a week. Worked like a charm.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Fasting is a terrible option. Cardio sucks but it works.

1) calorie restriction and try cutting carbs off by 2PM and see if that works.
2) eat clean. Not Five Guys burgers and fries or a bacon egg and cheese every morning.
3) I dont really rely on cardio for cutting, just conditioning. Id rather modify my resistance training to have more expenditure by lowering the weight a bit and increasing volume while maintaining high intensity.

alewisdvm

Awards
I agree about the cardio, but for me to hit a calorie intake of about 1600 calories/day was impossible. So, I used the cardio and calorie burn as an excuse to allow myself some extra food and protein and not be "cheating"

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Not to sound like an ass but fasting is not the way you want to go. Your body has to have food for fuel and you will lose a lot of muscle if you don't feed your body! Pick and choose what foods you eat wisely. Lots of lean protein and good greens. Basically cardio is the key. I like to do mine at the end of my workout. Lifting to exhaustion will burn up the glucose in your body and the fat will fuel your cardio.
There are plenty of ways to do it and you sound like an ass for dismissing fasting completely. Intermittent Fasting is an incredible way to lose bodyfat fast. 16 hours fasted and 8 hours feeding works a treat. Supplemented with clean foods and cardio of course. Dot be so closed minded there's more than one way to get cut.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
^ Carb cycling is the way to go IMO

alewisdvm

Awards
Carb cycling sounds really interesting, but just so difficult to stick to and do correctly.
I would love to try it and I am fairly dedicated, but very difficult.

gospher

gospher

Awards
I do sprints, stairs , box jumps , suicides

2-3 times a week and the other distance whitch I hate . I like to carb cycle eat clean and it's simple IMO

Kekkuk

Kekkuk

Awards
Cutting = dedication...for me.

A good place to start is with a good body cleanse. Sounds out of context but it isn't.

GTO4me

GTO4me

Awards
There are plenty of ways to do it and you sound like an ass for dismissing fasting completely. Intermittent Fasting is an incredible way to lose bodyfat fast. 16 hours fasted and 8 hours feeding works a treat. Supplemented with clean foods and cardio of course. Dot be so closed minded there's more than one way to get cut.
Man all I'm saying is anytime you lead your body to think it's starving it's going to hold on to fat! Yeah your gonna lose weight but that doesn't mean it's good weight! Naturally your body holds on to fat when it goes without food. It's going to weaken your muscles and your not going to feel so hot. Trust me man! For straight up losing weight sure fast all you want! For cutting and maintaining muscle that's not smart!

LetsLift59

Awards
Yeah i appreciate the tips...but I stay doing a lot of cardio and and i incorporate HIIT training with it also. Also, will calorie counters help with the cut?

LetsLift59

Awards
o yeah..when cutting i usually do low weight high reps for definition..is that right?

Ratiocinative

Awards
Man all I'm saying is anytime you lead your body to think it's starving it's going to hold on to fat! Yeah your gonna lose weight but that doesn't mean it's good weight! Naturally your body holds on to fat when it goes without food. It's going to weaken your muscles and your not going to feel so hot. Trust me man! For straight up losing weight sure fast all you want! For cutting and maintaining muscle that's not smart!
People still believe in starvation mode? Fasting does not cause your body to hold on to fat, fasting causes your body to preserve muscle and burn fat more efficiently. I cut 60 lbs in 4 1/2 months and I actually gained some strength, though that could be attributed to a lower body weight, better form, etc. Strength and muscle loss is caused by lack of use, and even then can be put back on quickly once you start lifting again.

dailygrind

dailygrind

Awards
5'10 180lb is going to be around 20%, more if you're not very strong. Lower your calorie intake and you will lose weight. Personally I find fasting the easiest way to do it, but just about any method of lowering your overall calorie intake will work.
Where is your logic is stating that his bf % is around 20 % just based on his height and weight. That makes no sense at all, and yeah fasting is a horrible idea unless your goals are to lose muscle mass as well as fat.

I agree with those above about carb cycling. Just make sure your diet is super clean and make sure to get your cardio in and you shouldn't have a problem. Lowering your bodyfat takes will power and dedication. If you have those two then you can get it done.

Stl_Lift

Stl_Lift

Awards
o yeah..when cutting i usually do low weight high reps for definition..is that right?
I still lift as heavy as possible while on a cut to help reduce the loss in muscle mass.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Step 1. Remove all processed and "Instant" foods and liquid calories (except protein, but it should be used sparingly). You should mainly start with just switching to an entirely clean diet (chicken and brown rice, eggs for breakfast, protein shake and almonds here and there, etc). This alone will help you lose a few lbs of fat in a few weeks if you normally eat bad.

Step 2. Introduce 30min of cardio into your routine 3x a week.

Step 3. Once you begin to stall on weight loss drop carbs from your meals.

Step 4. ????

Step 5. Profit.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Fasting is a bad option but I read great things about doing cardio upon waking b4 your 1st meal of the day.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You guys all need to read the thread...Lean Gains Intermittent Fasting. You might learn something.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
You guys all need to read the thread...Lean Gains Intermittent Fasting. You might learn something.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
^^^^exactly, the studies behind IF are what interested me, I am currently enjoying IF, although I had good results with carb cycling the cravings associated with 6-8 strict meals are too much and I'm always hungry. With IF done RIGHT I get my cals in in three meals,the urge to binge is minimal and while in the fasted state I feel focused, and calm, my fasted early a.m. Workouts are insane compared to cramming food down my mouth 45 min b4 a 4:00 workout. I've lost 1.2% body fat while maintaining my current weight over a two week period, the notion that in a starved state the body hangs onto fat is true but NOT in a short 16 hr or even 24 hr fast, look up the actual studies behind this, and not what u read in a muscle mag. The key is finding what works for you and what you can apply as a Lifestyle not a diet you can only stick to for a couple months cause what's the point to a diet of you can't stick to it. Do some research on IF and everything else out there and experiment to figure what works for YOU!