What's the best way to determine your basal metabolic rate??

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've just used a few bmr calculators online and there was almost a 1000 calorie difference?? So now i'm a little confused.

whoisbambam

Awards
Hydrosensitometry. It will tell you your body fat percentage much more accurately than calipers or any bioempedance product (only a university-type lab has a better test, takes 30minutes, about $150, and is based on the same method).

it will give you your bmr to a much more accurate degree than anything. It cost about $50 for the first, about $35 for follow-ups.

I will be getting mine Tuesday since a couple ppl now have asked me my body fat percentage. Yeah, i have a $229 tanita scale, and i will correlate it with the hydrodensitometry, calculate the percentage off, and go from there, in addition to having a 6wk follow-up.

I suspect I am at 25%, and I need to get to 18.1% for a healthy 43y/o male.

i lost 60lbs from august 25th to dec15th, but since dec.15th, I have only lost 7 freakin' pounds. I 'think' i have another 3-5lbs of fat to go, but they will also tell me that.

I am trying to preserve muscle by using erase pro and just added leanxtreme.

I am using a variety of 'supplements', such as alpha t2, shift, meltdown, caffeine, nicotine, geranium, raspberry ketones, NO shotgun, optimum nutrition casein, alphaburn

i dont advise that to anybody--i have a medical background and monitor myself extensively.

i need to know my bmr as to set my daily calorie requirements.

i just started eating only ON casein protein, walnuts (400cal a day worth now, 60grams, weighed), except use NO shotgun on workout days, which is only every 3rd day.

One 'problem' i have is i dont know how many calories i need for the weight training. not a heavy load:
3sets each:
dumbell curls 8reps
squats, 15reps
tricep ext., 12reps
bent-over lat pulls, dumbell, 10reps
pushups, 20reps
leglifts, about 40 now

I hardly get any carbs--just what's in the walnuts and ON casein, which isnt much at all.

the fat in the walnuts is a unique kind, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated, but almost all 400calories is 'so-called' fat calories from it.

i dropped the eggs and meat. I want to have absolute control of all variables for the next 6wks.

anyway, that test is the best way to get YOUR bmr, YOUR bodyfat, to an extremely accurate degree (muscle percent too).

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hydrosensitometry. It will tell you your body fat percentage much more accurately than calipers or any bioempedance product (only a university-type lab has a better test, takes 30minutes, about $150, and is based on the same method).

it will give you your bmr to a much more accurate degree than anything. It cost about $50 for the first, about $35 for follow-ups.

I will be getting mine Tuesday since a couple ppl now have asked me my body fat percentage. Yeah, i have a $229 tanita scale, and i will correlate it with the hydrodensitometry, calculate the percentage off, and go from there, in addition to having a 6wk follow-up.

I suspect I am at 25%, and I need to get to 18.1% for a healthy 43y/o male.

i lost 60lbs from august 25th to dec15th, but since dec.15th, I have only lost 7 freakin' pounds. I 'think' i have another 3-5lbs of fat to go, but they will also tell me that.

I am trying to preserve muscle by using erase pro and just added leanxtreme.

I am using a variety of 'supplements', such as alpha t2, shift, meltdown, caffeine, nicotine, geranium, raspberry ketones, NO shotgun, optimum nutrition casein, alphaburn

i dont advise that to anybody--i have a medical background and monitor myself extensively.

i need to know my bmr as to set my daily calorie requirements.

i just started eating only ON casein protein, walnuts (400cal a day worth now, 60grams, weighed), except use NO shotgun on workout days, which is only every 3rd day.

One 'problem' i have is i dont know how many calories i need for the weight training. not a heavy load:
3sets each:
dumbell curls 8reps
squats, 15reps
tricep ext., 12reps
bent-over lat pulls, dumbell, 10reps
pushups, 20reps
leglifts, about 40 now

I hardly get any carbs--just what's in the walnuts and ON casein, which isnt much at all.

the fat in the walnuts is a unique kind, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated, but almost all 400calories is 'so-called' fat calories from it.

i dropped the eggs and meat. I want to have absolute control of all variables for the next 6wks.

anyway, that test is the best way to get YOUR bmr, YOUR bodyfat, to an extremely accurate degree (muscle percent too).
Thanks, next step is finding a University near me that offers this.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
The best way is to count calories for a week then devide by 7. Short of that, you just have to pick one formula and try it out and adjust calories from there.

whoisbambam

Awards
vidapreta,

thank you!

:)

I had my test Thursdsay, found by doing a google search, in quotes, for "body fat test"

It cost me $55.00 and will be $35 for follow-ups

It was extremely important that I had it done.

I knew something was wrong.

In college, I was extremely athletic, won my college weight-lifting contest for the 165lb division, college had 3 campuses, 20k+ attendance, so the competition was high.

So, I am at 170lbs, and i had tried the treadmill, and it nearly killed me--i felt awful for 2wks after 1wk of treadmill and a very low calorie diet.

but my belly looks like crud, so it seemed i needed to lose weight, yet i keep trying different methods, and cant.

so, they weighed me on the balance scale that is calibrated every 2wks (but i didnt even know balance scales needed calibration), then put me in the water, dunked me with all air exhaled three times, for perhaps 30seconds.

the accuracy is within 1.8% error deviation (that is 1.8% OF your body fat, so if it is 20% body fat, it may be off .36% or a third of a percent.

but even if it is off 2%, it didnt matter.

I was 7.8%

:(

wtf

apparently my muscle is offsetting my fat, and i have lost most of my visceral/marble fat apparently, and the fat that is hanging from my loose skin is subcutaneous fat that I probably can not safely get rid of.

The technician has been doing this for 4+ yrs with this machine, and I was re-assured that it is accurate, repeatedly, as I was flabergasted and filled with doubt.

so now i need to figure out how to lose this strange fat hanging from my belly without losing more fat elsewhere.

and i have NO idea how to do it.

i wanted to thank you for the reputation points, and just wanted to give you some feedback.

they give you the basal metabolic rate, plus add 30%, telling you that u need xyz calories, then tell you what percent should be protein, what exercises burn what amount of calories on average, etc etc

i highly recommend it and then using it as a baseline measure against other, more convenient techniques.

i am kindof depressed tho, cause i dont look like all the guys in this forum--their abs are so awesome!!!!

sure, i have veins popping from my shoulders, arms, etc, but my abs.

yes, i have muscle underneath it, i can punch myself hard without issues--but it still has this sq fat.

i wonder if eviscerate, ab solution, lipoderm-y, or lipoderm-ultra can address it--i have all these.

i would much prefer just hanging skin over hanging skin and sq fat.

but then i would need to take norepinephrine stimulators like eca/clen, and that is nonspecific, along with the yohimbine.

very confused now.

i actually need to figure out how to get more fat elsewhere to maintain the ratio, while removing the ab fat, cause i dont feel comfortable with such a low figure.

i think 12% is a safer value for long-term health

according to the chart, i am like 98th percentile