Best tasting Natty Peanut Butter?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I can now gladly live without white bread, soda, sugar, candy, chips, and even microwavable frozen food.

But my damn Skippy Super Chunk peanut butter refuses to leave my shopping cart. I just can't resist it. Sometimes I also enjoy creamy Skippy.

I tried natural peanut butter only once. Smuckers brand creamy natural peanut butter. Blahhh. It was very gritty and I could not stand it.

I actually don't think Skippy is that bad for me, but I eat it almost every day so I think it would be good for me to make the switch to natural.

Smuckers is the only brand I've been able to find around here. I'm thinking I'll need to try health food stores or I could order online from somewhere.

What's the tastiest brand?

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Smuckers i belive it is that one in the glass jar with a green and brown label. I love the chunky. I am pretty sure its smuckers I got 4 jars of it in the pantry just to lazy to go see what brand it is.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use Laura Sudders(sp). You are not going to get the same taste as the others that are loaded with sugar.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Peanut Butter is the "Staff of Life" as far as I'm concerned. Lot of fat, but freaking impossible to live without, and pretty healthy. The non-natty's are tasty, but I avoid 'em for the same reason I avoid candy. As a treat/cheat, they're fine. I eat natty guilt-free, though. Laura Scudder's is definitely top of the list. Some other small labels are good, different, like Arrowhead Mills. These don't taste like candy, mind you. I think I'm gonna try to make my own version of power butter next; get the natty, pour off the separated peanut oil, and add flax oil. Almond butter is the sh!t , too!

waitlifter82

Awards
Can someone explain to me why natty peanut butter is SO much better than regular. I always hear regualr peanut butter is loaded w/ sugars, but when I look at the nutritional profile, the stuff has 3 grams. (compared to natty's 2 grams). So what's the deal? Does the natty have better fats?

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Can someone explain to me why natty peanut butter is SO much better than regular. I always hear regualr peanut butter is loaded w/ sugars, but when I look at the nutritional profile, the stuff has 3 grams. (compared to natty's 2 grams). So what's the deal? Does the natty have better fats?

TRANS FATS..very bad!

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just get natty PB cuz it taste much better and better nutritional profile than jiffy/skippy.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I HATE natty peanut butter, and I'd throw eggs at anyone who told me to get natty because it tasted better :D

It's lower in sodium, only VERY slightly lower in sugar, and doesn't contain the (incredibly small, in all liklihood inconsequential) trans fat that processed peanut butter uses for emulsification.

Natty peanut butter just makes bodybuilders with a health hardon feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
... and doesn't contain the (incredibly small, in all liklihood inconsequential) trans fat that processed peanut butter uses for emulsification.
Where in the world did you come up with that conclusion?

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The fat in natural peanut butter is peanut oil (naturally). The fat in ordinary brands is substituted with soybean oil, canola or other vege oils. This odd situation is because peanut oil is more expensive and consequently more valuable extracted and sold for other uses. Hydrogenated soy/canola vege oils are cheap (and chock full of trans fats) and are then pumped back into peanut butter.

Peanut oil has more monounsaturated fats (and less poly) than soybean oil. I prefer to stay away from soy products because of the estrogenic and anti-nutrient substances especially from commercial soy which is genetically modified for its oil content.

Mayhem

Awards
I make my own peanut butter... dump can of planters peanuts into food processor and turn on... wait til ground into cream and refridgerate... I like it better then skippy or any other I've tried... worried about salt content? get the saltless peanuts and add just a lil... I gotta think it has less preservs then anything on the shelves as well. But hey thats just me...((woops I forgot.. sometimes I add just a hint of conola oil))

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Where in the world did you come up with that conclusion?
Do a little research, you will see that the trans fat content of (jiffy at least) is around 0.01ppm. It's used as an emulsifier to keep the oil from seperating out like it does in natty PB.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Regular peanut butter has natural peanut oil in it too. It has to because it has peanuts. I doubt that they actually extract it.

They add the other oils because they need to keep the nuts & peanut oil from seperating.

Check this out:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"According to a recent study by the United States Department of Agriculture/Agricultural Research Service (USDA/ARS), both natural and commercial brands of peanut butter contain no detectable trans-fatty acids. The study, "Non-Detectable Levels of trans-Fatty Acids in Peanut Butter," was published in the May 2001 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

The study examined the fatty acid content of 11 different brands of commercial, natural and store-brand peanut butter and found no detectable trans-fat in any of the samples. Some peanut butters contain a small amount (approximately 1-2 percent) of partially hydrogenated oil used as stabilizers to prevent oil separation. This produces a smooth and creamy product that most consumers prefer.

The study concludes, "Consumption of these products (peanut butter) should, therefore, not be of concern to individuals monitoring trans-fatty acid intake. Natural types and freshly ground peanuts were not found to be different from commercial peanut butters in trans-fatty acid content."

Tim Sanders, PhD, research leader of USDA/ARS, Market Quality and Handling Research Unit located at North Carolina State University, says, "Consumers worried about trans-fats in their diet need not avoid commercial peanut butters."

Much of the confusion about trans-fatty acid in peanut butters occurs because of the way peanut butter is labeled. Most peanut butters contain only three or four ingredients. By law, peanut butter must consist of at least 90 percent peanuts. In addition, a minimum amount of salt and sugar is usually added for taste, plus about one to two percent stabilizer to improve texture and increase shelf-life.

A trans-fatty acid results when hydrogen is added to unsaturated vegetable oils. This increases shelf-life and improves the texture of food products. The hydrogen is added and crosses (trans) the chemical chain, making the fat more solid at room temperature. Trans-fats are found in foods like cookies, crackers, baked goods and fried foods. They are also naturally occurring in small amounts in meat and dairy products. Trans-fats tend to increase total and LDL cholesterol, and also may decrease HDL (good) cholesterol.

More than 80 percent of the fat in peanut butter is the cholesterol-lowering, good unsaturated kind, and, as with all plant foods, peanut butter contains no cholesterol. (A two-teaspoon serving of peanut butter contains 13 grams of unsaturated fat and three grams of saturated fat.) Researchers at Penn State University compared a moderate-fat diet with peanuts and peanut butter to a low fat-diet and to the average American diet. They found that the peanuts/peanut butter diet and the low-fat diet lowered total and LDL blood cholesterol levels, but the peanuts/peanut butter diet was more effective than a low-fat diet in maintaining levels of good HDL-cholesterol and lowering triglyceride levels (American Journal Clinical Nutrition, 1999).

As one of America's favorite foods, we eat more than 800 million pounds of peanut butter each year. Peanut butter was invented around 1890 as a health food for undernourished patients. To this day, peanut butter provides an inexpensive source of plant protein, monounsaturated fats, and many nutrients like niacin, magnesium, and phosphorus. In addition, researchers at the University of Buffalo have identified phytosterols thought to protect against heart disease and cancer in peanut products (Nutrition and Cancer, 2000).

The article on trans-fatty acids can be found in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, (Volume 49, Number 5, pages 2349-2351) Oil Chemists Society."

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd still like to read the actual article though instead of this 3rd party stuff.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Moyer: word. Sometimes bodybuilders get overzealous - they're a crazy bunch! :D

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I use Skippy myself :)

Does Skippy peanut butter contain trans fats?

By U.S. FDA definition, Skippy peanut butter is a trans-fat free food.
Most commercial peanut butters contain small amounts (typically less than 2%) of a partially hydrogenated fat, which prevents oil separation by helping the peanut butter "set up" a fat structure. This partially hydrogenated fat is almost totally saturated and contains only an insignificant trace amount of trans fats.
http://www.peanutbutter.com/faq.asp

The study examined the fatty acid content of eleven different brands of peanut butter, including Skippy, Jif, Peter Pan and Smuckers, and found no trans-fat in any of the samples. Some peanut butters contain a small amount (approximately 1-2 percent) of partially hydrogenated oil used as stabilizers to prevent oil separation. This produces a smooth and creamy product that most consumers prefer. The amount of trans-fat in peanut butter with 2% stabilizer is less than .0032 g, or 156 times less than what is needed to reach the 0 g trans-fat cut-off.
http://www.peanut-institute.org/05-01-01_trans-fatty_PR.html

Study says peanut butter was smeared

Finds no trans fats, as some reports said
http://knbc-tvhealth.ip2m.com/index.cfm?pt=itemDetail&item_id=12122&site_cat_id=9

Instead of snacking on Pringles and Ritz, reach for almonds or peanuts. No hardship there! Enjoy peanut butter & honey sandwiches and PB on multigrain bagels. Even commercial peanut butters like Skippy and Jif have negligible amounts of the bad (trans) fats that contribute to heart disease. Enjoy this super sports food!
http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=11113&page=2

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Wow i was under the impression that regular peanut butter was slam full of trans fats. If this is not the case why don't they put this on their nutritional labels to dispell these rumors.

Siberian

Awards
I read that powerbutter failed their label claims testing as well.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Teddy brand up here in New England...ingredients... Raosted Peanuts,salt

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I think Laura Scudder's has the best taste. Made from peanuts and salt...that's it. I like the chunky, but my store seems to always run out and I have to settle for smooth. I've been eating the natty P/B for so long, that now I find I don't care for the regular, sugar loaded PB when I try it.

Costco also has a brand they carry, two large jars, that is made from organic peanuts. It only comes in smooth. It tastes a little different, almost sweet, but is also good.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I threw this idea out somewhere before, but haven't actually pulled it off yet. Get a good natty, (peanuts and salt), pour off the separated oil from the top, replace with flax oil. Voila- healthy-as-phuq-P.B.--like homemade power butter. Unless the flax taste would kill it. I doubt that. Add some protein (liquid pasteurized egg white is what's in Power Butter. Know what-- maybe its just easier to get some freaking power butter again!

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
I prefer Kroger-brand, if you have them in your area. Definitely more chunky than most chunky nattys. Smuckers is bad.

This is quite revealing on the trans fat content of regular JIF peanut butter, though.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
Trader Joe's has a bunch of different natural peanut butters & other nut butters, I use the raw almond butter, it tastes much better than peanut & it's higher in EFAs.

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh my... this really saddens me to see so many people advocating power butter. Not only is it really, really overpriced, but it doesn't come even close to meeting label claims. I thought this was kind of common knowledge. Common knowledge before labelclaims (Mike@1fast400) did a test, btw. Reason being that it is phyiscally impossible to have as much protein in each serving as they said they did.

Natty PB all the way.