Best tasting Natty Peanut Butter?

1. board observer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.94%

Best tasting Natty Peanut Butter?

I can now gladly live without white bread, soda, sugar, candy, chips, and even microwavable frozen food.

But my damn Skippy Super Chunk peanut butter refuses to leave my shopping cart. I just can't resist it. Sometimes I also enjoy creamy Skippy.

I tried natural peanut butter only once. Smuckers brand creamy natural peanut butter. Blahhh. It was very gritty and I could not stand it.

I actually don't think Skippy is that bad for me, but I eat it almost every day so I think it would be good for me to make the switch to natural.

Smuckers is the only brand I've been able to find around here. I'm thinking I'll need to try health food stores or I could order online from somewhere.

What's the tastiest brand?

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.92%

Smuckers i belive it is that one in the glass jar with a green and brown label. I love the chunky. I am pretty sure its smuckers I got 4 jars of it in the pantry just to lazy to go see what brand it is.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.77%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I use Laura Sudders(sp). You are not going to get the same taste as the others that are loaded with sugar.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Peanut Butter is the "Staff of Life" as far as I'm concerned. Lot of fat, but freaking impossible to live without, and pretty healthy. The non-natty's are tasty, but I avoid 'em for the same reason I avoid candy. As a treat/cheat, they're fine. I eat natty guilt-free, though. Laura Scudder's is definitely top of the list. Some other small labels are good, different, like Arrowhead Mills. These don't taste like candy, mind you. I think I'm gonna try to make my own version of power butter next; get the natty, pour off the separated peanut oil, and add flax oil. Almond butter is the sh!t , too!
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.81%

Can someone explain to me why natty peanut butter is SO much better than regular. I always hear regualr peanut butter is loaded w/ sugars, but when I look at the nutritional profile, the stuff has 3 grams. (compared to natty's 2 grams). So what's the deal? Does the natty have better fats?
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.84%

Quote Originally Posted by waitlifter82
    Can someone explain to me why natty peanut butter is SO much better than regular. I always hear regualr peanut butter is loaded w/ sugars, but when I look at the nutritional profile, the stuff has 3 grams. (compared to natty's 2 grams). So what's the deal? Does the natty have better fats?

TRANS FATS..very bad!
  7. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.35%

Just get natty PB cuz it taste much better and better nutritional profile than jiffy/skippy.
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.27%

I HATE natty peanut butter, and I'd throw eggs at anyone who told me to get natty because it tasted better

It's lower in sodium, only VERY slightly lower in sugar, and doesn't contain the (incredibly small, in all liklihood inconsequential) trans fat that processed peanut butter uses for emulsification.

Natty peanut butter just makes bodybuilders with a health hardon feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
  9. The Godfather of NUTRAPLANET
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.27%

Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    ... and doesn't contain the (incredibly small, in all liklihood inconsequential) trans fat that processed peanut butter uses for emulsification.
    Where in the world did you come up with that conclusion?
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.09%
    Achievements Posting Pro

The fat in natural peanut butter is peanut oil (naturally). The fat in ordinary brands is substituted with soybean oil, canola or other vege oils. This odd situation is because peanut oil is more expensive and consequently more valuable extracted and sold for other uses. Hydrogenated soy/canola vege oils are cheap (and chock full of trans fats) and are then pumped back into peanut butter.

Peanut oil has more monounsaturated fats (and less poly) than soybean oil. I prefer to stay away from soy products because of the estrogenic and anti-nutrient substances especially from commercial soy which is genetically modified for its oil content.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.17%

I make my own peanut butter... dump can of planters peanuts into food processor and turn on... wait til ground into cream and refridgerate... I like it better then skippy or any other I've tried... worried about salt content? get the saltless peanuts and add just a lil... I gotta think it has less preservs then anything on the shelves as well. But hey thats just me...((woops I forgot.. sometimes I add just a hint of conola oil))
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.27%

Quote Originally Posted by stryder
    Where in the world did you come up with that conclusion?
    Do a little research, you will see that the trans fat content of (jiffy at least) is around 0.01ppm. It's used as an emulsifier to keep the oil from seperating out like it does in natty PB.
  13. board observer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.94%

Regular peanut butter has natural peanut oil in it too. It has to because it has peanuts. I doubt that they actually extract it.

They add the other oils because they need to keep the nuts & peanut oil from seperating.

Check this out:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"According to a recent study by the United States Department of Agriculture/Agricultural Research Service (USDA/ARS), both natural and commercial brands of peanut butter contain no detectable trans-fatty acids. The study, "Non-Detectable Levels of trans-Fatty Acids in Peanut Butter," was published in the May 2001 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

The study examined the fatty acid content of 11 different brands of commercial, natural and store-brand peanut butter and found no detectable trans-fat in any of the samples. Some peanut butters contain a small amount (approximately 1-2 percent) of partially hydrogenated oil used as stabilizers to prevent oil separation. This produces a smooth and creamy product that most consumers prefer.

The study concludes, "Consumption of these products (peanut butter) should, therefore, not be of concern to individuals monitoring trans-fatty acid intake. Natural types and freshly ground peanuts were not found to be different from commercial peanut butters in trans-fatty acid content."

Tim Sanders, PhD, research leader of USDA/ARS, Market Quality and Handling Research Unit located at North Carolina State University, says, "Consumers worried about trans-fats in their diet need not avoid commercial peanut butters."

Much of the confusion about trans-fatty acid in peanut butters occurs because of the way peanut butter is labeled. Most peanut butters contain only three or four ingredients. By law, peanut butter must consist of at least 90 percent peanuts. In addition, a minimum amount of salt and sugar is usually added for taste, plus about one to two percent stabilizer to improve texture and increase shelf-life.

A trans-fatty acid results when hydrogen is added to unsaturated vegetable oils. This increases shelf-life and improves the texture of food products. The hydrogen is added and crosses (trans) the chemical chain, making the fat more solid at room temperature. Trans-fats are found in foods like cookies, crackers, baked goods and fried foods. They are also naturally occurring in small amounts in meat and dairy products. Trans-fats tend to increase total and LDL cholesterol, and also may decrease HDL (good) cholesterol.

More than 80 percent of the fat in peanut butter is the cholesterol-lowering, good unsaturated kind, and, as with all plant foods, peanut butter contains no cholesterol. (A two-teaspoon serving of peanut butter contains 13 grams of unsaturated fat and three grams of saturated fat.) Researchers at Penn State University compared a moderate-fat diet with peanuts and peanut butter to a low fat-diet and to the average American diet. They found that the peanuts/peanut butter diet and the low-fat diet lowered total and LDL blood cholesterol levels, but the peanuts/peanut butter diet was more effective than a low-fat diet in maintaining levels of good HDL-cholesterol and lowering triglyceride levels (American Journal Clinical Nutrition, 1999).

As one of America's favorite foods, we eat more than 800 million pounds of peanut butter each year. Peanut butter was invented around 1890 as a health food for undernourished patients. To this day, peanut butter provides an inexpensive source of plant protein, monounsaturated fats, and many nutrients like niacin, magnesium, and phosphorus. In addition, researchers at the University of Buffalo have identified phytosterols thought to protect against heart disease and cancer in peanut products (Nutrition and Cancer, 2000).

The article on trans-fatty acids can be found in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, (Volume 49, Number 5, pages 2349-2351) Oil Chemists Society."

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd still like to read the actual article though instead of this 3rd party stuff.
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.27%

Moyer: word. Sometimes bodybuilders get overzealous - they're a crazy bunch!
  15. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.35%

Powerbutter!!

http://powerbutter.com/
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.34%

I use Skippy myself

Does Skippy peanut butter contain trans fats?

By U.S. FDA definition, Skippy peanut butter is a trans-fat free food.
    Most commercial peanut butters contain small amounts (typically less than 2%) of a partially hydrogenated fat, which prevents oil separation by helping the peanut butter "set up" a fat structure. This partially hydrogenated fat is almost totally saturated and contains only an insignificant trace amount of trans fats.
    http://www.peanutbutter.com/faq.asp

The study examined the fatty acid content of eleven different brands of peanut butter, including Skippy, Jif, Peter Pan and Smuckers, and found no trans-fat in any of the samples. Some peanut butters contain a small amount (approximately 1-2 percent) of partially hydrogenated oil used as stabilizers to prevent oil separation. This produces a smooth and creamy product that most consumers prefer. The amount of trans-fat in peanut butter with 2% stabilizer is less than .0032 g, or 156 times less than what is needed to reach the 0 g trans-fat cut-off.
    http://www.peanut-institute.org/05-0...-fatty_PR.html

Study says peanut butter was smeared

Finds no trans fats, as some reports said
    http://knbc-tvhealth.ip2m.com/index....&site_cat_id=9

Instead of snacking on Pringles and Ritz, reach for almonds or peanuts. No hardship there! Enjoy peanut butter & honey sandwiches and PB on multigrain bagels. Even commercial peanut butters like Skippy and Jif have negligible amounts of the bad (trans) fats that contribute to heart disease. Enjoy this super sports food!
    http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=11113&page=2
  17. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.7%

Smuckers 1#
  18. Get big or die trying
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.55%

Wow i was under the impression that regular peanut butter was slam full of trans fats. If this is not the case why don't they put this on their nutritional labels to dispell these rumors.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.79%

Quote Originally Posted by willieman
    I think they failed their label claims testing.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.51%

Quote Originally Posted by djs2000
    I think they failed their label claims testing.
    I don't think they did. Have you ever tried this product? I have. It's awesome!
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.11%

I read that powerbutter failed their label claims testing as well.
  22. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.12%

Teddy brand up here in New England...ingredients... Raosted Peanuts,salt
  23. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.98%

I think Laura Scudder's has the best taste. Made from peanuts and salt...that's it. I like the chunky, but my store seems to always run out and I have to settle for smooth. I've been eating the natty P/B for so long, that now I find I don't care for the regular, sugar loaded PB when I try it.

Costco also has a brand they carry, two large jars, that is made from organic peanuts. It only comes in smooth. It tastes a little different, almost sweet, but is also good.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.51%

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian
    I read that powerbutter failed their label claims testing as well.
    Where did you read this?
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.36%

Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons
    Where did you read this?
    http://www.labelclaimstesting.com/page.php?pageID=21
  26. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.9%

I threw this idea out somewhere before, but haven't actually pulled it off yet. Get a good natty, (peanuts and salt), pour off the separated oil from the top, replace with flax oil. Voila- healthy-as-phuq-P.B.--like homemade power butter. Unless the flax taste would kill it. I doubt that. Add some protein (liquid pasteurized egg white is what's in Power Butter. Know what-- maybe its just easier to get some freaking power butter again!
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.71%

I prefer Kroger-brand, if you have them in your area. Definitely more chunky than most chunky nattys. Smuckers is bad.

This is quite revealing on the trans fat content of regular JIF peanut butter, though.
  28. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.95%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Trader Joe's has a bunch of different natural peanut butters & other nut butters, I use the raw almond butter, it tastes much better than peanut & it's higher in EFAs.
  29. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

Oh my... this really saddens me to see so many people advocating power butter. Not only is it really, really overpriced, but it doesn't come even close to meeting label claims. I thought this was kind of common knowledge. Common knowledge before labelclaims (Mike@1fast400) did a test, btw. Reason being that it is phyiscally impossible to have as much protein in each serving as they said they did.

Natty PB all the way.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Decent Tasting Vanilla/Peanut butter protein ??
    By roblasane in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 06:14 AM
  2. What Is The Best Tasting Natty Peanut Butter
    By Ducati7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 03:04 PM
  3. Do they have natty peanut butter at costco?
    By DerickVonD in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 08:21 AM
  4. best peanut butter chocolate protein
    By dank311 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 03:11 PM
  5. Smuckers Natty Peanut Butter with Honey
    By Cold in forum Bulking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 04:26 PM