Meal suggestions and late night snacking!

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
In middle of cut.

Looking for some general recommendations for meals to keep calories to a minimum.

I really need to shoot for about 1600 calories a day to stay in a deficit.

I tend to eat something like:
1. 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites scrambled in AM with a cup of mixed fruit.

For Lunch:
I used to eat at Togo's or Subway. Now, I am going to bring to work 2ounces of turkey breast and/or a can of albacore, with some baked chips, and just water to drink

For Dinner:
A chicken or fish meal. Fortunately, have a wife that can cook very healthy meals like a reduced fat turkey lasagna.

What other basic breakfasts or lunches could I do?

Also desparate for some late night snacks? Right now, i'll eat some popcorn (low fat), carrots, wheat thins...any ideas?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Damn turkey lasagna sounds awsome haha

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
have you used banana's to make ice cream? That is usually pretty good, and you can add a little natural PB and cinnamon to it for a different taste

alewisdvm

Awards
Sounds good.
I was thinking of just a quick, small hand snack. I am assuming carrots, popcorn, maybe some almonds aren't bad at night. Anything else?

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
a big reason that you are eating late night is probably because you are not eating enough calories through the day...

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Snack on jalapeno peppers. The heat will reduce appetite, and the activation of capsasin receptors is associated with health benefits.

Br

Eberly

Banned
Awards
Hello,
In middle of cut.

Looking for some general recommendations for meals to keep calories to a minimum.

I really need to shoot for about 1600 calories a day to stay in a deficit.

I tend to eat something like:
1. 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites scrambled in AM with a cup of mixed fruit.

For Lunch:
I used to eat at Togo's or Subway. Now, I am going to bring to work 2ounces of turkey breast and/or a can of albacore, with some baked chips, and just water to drink

For Dinner:
A chicken or fish meal. Fortunately, have a wife that can cook very healthy meals like a reduced fat turkey lasagna.

What other basic breakfasts or lunches could I do?

Also desparate for some late night snacks? Right now, i'll eat some popcorn (low fat), carrots, wheat thins...any ideas?
latenight snacking really is pretty bad. You eat a lot of food and then do nothing but sit there, so the food never gets worked off.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
latenight snacking really is pretty bad. You eat a lot of food and then do nothing but sit there, so the food never gets worked off.
NONONO! Stop perpetuating myths! By and large, it's not going to matter what time you eat, so long as you are at a caloric deficit for the day.

Moving on... you can make life easier for yourself by dropping things like the baked chips, having an english muffin with your eggs in the morning instead of fruit (I'm anti-sugar), and eating more veggies. Since I have a sweet tooth, one of my favorite go-to snacks in the evening is a cup of plain fat free Greek yogurt with a scoop of vanilla casein protein mixed in, and cinnamon and a packet of Stevia. It tastes surprisingly like cream cheese frosting and has a fairly heavy texture that fills you up. The stats are: 280 cal, 53 g protein, 1 g fat, and 12 g carbs.

Whilst cutting you should become good friends with eggs, fat free cottage cheese, fat free plain Greek yogurt, and big salads (I prefer arugula) with lots of veggies and meat.

alewisdvm

Awards
Thanks for reply.
How about an english muffin with some almond butter and maybe just a 1/2 cup of mixed fruits for the overall health benefits.

Love some chips with lunch, but what else do you eat! I hate to think I am just eating a couple ounces of just albacore tuna or just a hunk of turket breast with mustard?

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Thanks for reply.
How about an english muffin with some almond butter and maybe just a 1/2 cup of mixed fruits for the overall health benefits.

Love some chips with lunch, but what else do you eat! I hate to think I am just eating a couple ounces of just albacore tuna or just a hunk of turket breast with mustard?
Cottage cheese! A cup of cottage cheese is only 160 cal, but 28 g protein. Why not also throw the turkey on an Orowheat sandwich thin (100 cal) with spinach, peppers, and red onion? That sounds like a sandwich to me!

And yes, the mixed fruits with breakfast will be just fine. For breakfast on lifting days I usually have an english muffin w/peanut butter and honey, some coffee, and a scoop of whey protein mixed w/water.

Alllsooo, BCAAs can become your best friend on a cut. The calories are negligible, but they add protein to your diet and work great between meals to sip on and actually keep you filled up.

alewisdvm

Awards
Great!
Thank you for the confirmation on some mixed fruit. I couldn't imagine that some fruits in the morning would be so bad.
I will look into the Orowheat sandwich thins. Great idea.

BCAAs: I drink Xtend during workouts or during elliptical cardio sessions.

When my caloric intake is more deficit than I would like (because I did a cardio day), I throw in a O.N. gold whey shake. Since I am not bulking, I keep the shakes to a minimum per day.

Anything to mix into cottage cheese to make it a little more tasty?

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Great!
Thank you for the confirmation on some mixed fruit. I couldn't imagine that some fruits in the morning would be so bad.
I will look into the Orowheat sandwich thins. Great idea.

BCAAs: I drink Xtend during workouts or during elliptical cardio sessions.

When my caloric intake is more deficit than I would like (because I did a cardio day), I throw in a O.N. gold whey shake. Since I am not bulking, I keep the shakes to a minimum per day.

Anything to mix into cottage cheese to make it a little more tasty?
Just out of curiosity, how many grams of protein are you taking in per day?

As for the cottage cheese, I always just eat it plain. I suppose some strawberries or peaches would work well in there though. If you were going to go that route, I would eat it post-workout.

alewisdvm

Awards
Not enough.
I am looking at MyfitnessPal and it looks like about 140-150. I weight 160.
It's tough because I want to stay in the caloric deficit, so trying not to take extra whey shakes, because a calorie is a calorie.

I think I will definitely continue to have at least 1 shake daily on workout days, so that would mean my average protein intake during cut is about 165.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Not enough.
I am looking at MyfitnessPal and it looks like about 140-150. I weight 160.
It's tough because I want to stay in the caloric deficit, so trying not to take extra whey shakes, because a calorie is a calorie.

I think I will definitely continue to have at least 1 shake daily on workout days, so that would mean my average protein intake during cut is about 165.
It's do-able. I had 232 g protein yesterday on 1632 cal. Shakes are not the enemy necessarily, they are another tool that can be helpful in your fitness journey. They're a quick convenient source of protein that can be quite helpful pre and post workout. The problem is when people over-rely on them and neglect other sources of protein.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In a caloric deficit whole foods, especially those that are not nutrient dense, should comprise most of your intake if you are experiencing hunger control issues. Vegetables are low energy but high in nutrients and bulk, and tougher meats require more mastication, which slows down eating/chewing, and yields greater feelings of satiety.

Br