Lifting for 2 years with little progress - I need advice on the right step to take

Neuronic

Awards
I'm going to cut to the chase - I know this gets asked time and time again (I'm sorry) and yes I have used the search button and yes I have tried to implement what I have found for the past few years, however I seem to be spinning my wheels. Here's to a stop to it once and for all.

First, let me show you how I look right now. These pictures were taken just 5 minutes ago, I took quite a few so that you're able to get an accurate observation and for ease of viewing have collaged them onto one image.

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/progressb.jpg - (Please can someone link/embed this for me?)

For the past few months I have been watching my carb intake, I eat no rubbish and stick to staple foods, I keep my protein high (20kg of fresh chicken breasts per month + protein shakes). I also go to the gym 5 nights a week and work a body part per session for around 45 minutes, this excludes any LISS cardio that I do afterwards for a further 20 minutes - I have made very little progress in terms of body recomposition or change!

What do I do? My body really lets me down, and actually holds me back in terms of confidence and when summer comes around, chilling out with my mates swimming etc.

I'm not expecting a whole load of responses to this thread, but could someone please just give me a bit of advice? I'm not entirely sure how the reputation system works on here as I am fairly new, but will rep helpful answers.

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
Ok... Where to start .. First .. You are nice and lean .. Exactly what I would expect from the slight description of your diet ..

If you want to add muscle you need to feed it .. Muscle is built as much, if not more, in the kitchen as the gym

Lets start with your stats .. Height, weight, BF% if you know it ..

Next .. Your goal ?? Ideal weight ??

Neuronic

Awards
Ok... Where to start .. First .. You are nice and lean .. Exactly what I would expect from the slight description of your diet ..

If you want to add muscle you need to feed it .. Muscle is built as much, if not more, in the kitchen as the gym

Lets start with your stats .. Height, weight, BF% if you know it ..

Next .. Your goal ?? Ideal weight ??
Right, firstly - thanks for replying to me mate.

I am 19 years old, 5ft 8" and weight around 180lb. My bodyfat percentage I am not sure to be honest, but I would say it's pretty high.

My goal is somewhat contradicting - to lose the fat around my midsection/lower back, and to build my chest and shoulders (mainly).

Ideal weight - I would say a good starting point is 12.5-13 stone? I'm 12 at present.

:)

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
Can I ask, what is your training like?

When I started, I thought it was in order, I really did. That was around 18 or 19 years old.

Only when I worked with a trainer who was a former bodybuilder did I come to understand what "pushing" really meant. Also, a rundown of your diet would help.

There's no way your bodyfat % is high, by the way.

Neuronic

Awards
Can I ask, what is your training like?

When I started, I thought it was in order, I really did. That was around 18 or 19 years old.

Only when I worked with a trainer who was a former bodybuilder did I come to understand what "pushing" really meant. Also, a rundown of your diet would help.

There's no way your bodyfat % is high, by the way.
Hi mate - thanks for the reply.

I am 19 years old, about 5ft 8" and I weight approximately 180lb at the moment (mainly fat - I am unsure on my bodyfat percentage).

My training, I like to mix it up every time I go to the gym. I tend to go around 4-5 times a week for around 45 minutes a time.

Monday - Chest/Tris
Tuesday - Legs
Thursday - Back/Bis
Friday - Shoulders

I don't have a set routine - I mix it up, but always focus on compound lifts before any isolation work. Rep range within 8-12 for most sets, with 5-8 for compound legs to build mass.

I don't eat the same thing every day at the moment, and I have tried many different types of diet over the past few years. At the moment I am focusing on eating staple foods, staying away from any rubbish (I don't drink - so this helps) and ensuring that I get a lot of protein in my diet (I purchase 20kg of fresh chicken breasts a month, each one around 227g from a local butcher) and also consume protein shakes. I try to keep my unsaturated fats up as I know these help to lose fat - and never eat simple carbs, only complex. Again, I try and eat all my carbs before 6-7pm in the evening, and have been on an ECA stack for the past month or so to try and lose some fat around the midsection/lower back.

Goal wise, it's very contradicting (as always with skinny fat people haha). In an ideal world, lose the gut/fat and build my chest and shoulders (mainly), oh and back. I know this is unrealistic and damn near impossible, so I'm going to have to stick to one!

Posting pictures - yeah, pretty embarrising, but that's what these forums are for hey.. I don't mind what people say about me/think about me and I'm willing to take all constructive criticism on board - hopefully I can help someone out someday using the information I receive myself

As I have mentioned, I am unhappy with my body (aren't we all.. we're never happy 100% lol) and it does actually effect me in terms of pushing for relationships/having fun with friends - I am a perfectionist (albeit very irritating, I am very much determine to push through this) and as such I want to sort my body out so that I am happy with it first, before expecting anyone else to be also. This may seem very shallow, but when you spin your wheels for circa 2 years, this is what happens lol.

What would you say my bf % is?

Any advice is good advice to me, and again thanks for taking the time to listen and help me out.

Srt4Muscle

Srt4Muscle

Awards
you are skinny bro, like less than 12% for sure. IMO you should be asking for help gaining, its hard to get big and cut at the same time. you need to get bigger first though. def need to start you on some creatine for strength, put you on a 5x5 workout plan and you need a partner to push you and help you with extra reps.

your arms are as big as mine lol and your legs look big too man, shoulders arent too bad, kinda small chest but better than gyno lmao. dude you need to accept your body and work on it slow, you have self image issues to say the least. im not trying to be mean no homo you look good lol

Neuronic

Awards
you are skinny bro, like less than 12% for sure. IMO you should be asking for help gaining, its hard to get big and cut at the same time. you need to get bigger first though. def need to start you on some creatine for strength, put you on a 5x5 workout plan and you need a partner to push you and help you with extra reps.

your arms are as big as mine lol and your legs look big too man, shoulders arent too bad, kinda small chest but better than gyno lmao. dude you need to accept your body and work on it slow, you have self image issues to say the least. im not trying to be mean no homo you look good lol
Thanks for the help mate! Less than 12% - that's shocked me quite a bit, I was under the impression that I was a lot more than this as I can't see my abs at all and I know these start to become visible around what.. 9-10%? Will definitely look at getting some creatine down me, what do you recommend buddy? You think I should do a 5x5 to gain strength before moving onto hypertrophy? If you asked me what was more important to me, being able to lift a tonne of weight, or looking good - I would rather look good than be able to boast my lifting stats, but that's probably due to my image issues as you have said, because of the fact that I have been unhappy for so long.

Right, negative thoughts aside - it's time to change based on all the comments received in this thread. Creatine for strength, 5x5 for strength then move to hypertrophy later on, nice clean bulk. What about cardio? And bulk for how long? :) A partner is difficult, as I work out after work when most people have gone home.

Thanks for the kind words mate, I have always been conscious of my image so it really boosts me :)

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is going to be quick as I don have much time right now but wanted to get a word in-

I am te same as u, skinny fat ecto-

I naturally have a large chest and legs though. I have been training since 14 (high school football) now I'm 23. After all these years I am JUST starting to find what works with my body- the key facts I can say quickly are-

We need lots of solid muscle to be visible through our fatty skin.

Dont expect to be ripped and big year round. Our bodies can't support that hormonally.

Try not to do traditional bulks and cuts- we gain too much fat in a bulk, and lose too much muscle mass in a cut- pointless!

Eat very high protein- mod fat, low carb.

Cardio 4-5 days/week

Lift 3, no more than 4 days using heavy weights, low reps for 2 sets, light weight 15-20 reps for 2 sets per exercise, 4 exercises per session, twice a week (for major muscles like chest back legs) shoulders and arms should be 2-3 sets for 2 exercises twice a week.

We need to focus on back and shoulder width! A wide upper body will make our waists look tiny, it's all About illusion.

Grow your abs- hundreds of crunches and leg raises will get us no
Where. In 6 mknths if heavy Ab training , they look better than years of crunches 4-5 days a week. Make them big and u will see them. Heavy rope crunches, weighted declines, hanging leg raises. Planks.

Supplements- gda's are vital, creatine may bloat ppl like us, I do not use it. Use a good whey protein. Use fat burners when u want to lean out. Use diuretics too. We hold lots of water. Look into erase for cutting. It will make your body nice and hard and lean and muscular by getting rid of estrogen and controlling cortisol levels. Any questions please ask. I know i ended ip saying a lot!

Neuronic

Awards
Thanks for that mate - could you explain your routine a little more for me please? :)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Subbed for the ideas

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Hi mate - thanks for the reply.

I am 19 years old, about 5ft 8" and I weight approximately 180lb at the moment (mainly fat - I am unsure on my bodyfat percentage).

My training, I like to mix it up every time I go to the gym. I tend to go around 4-5 times a week for around 45 minutes a time.

Monday - Chest/Tris
Tuesday - Legs
Thursday - Back/Bis
Friday - Shoulders

I don't have a set routine - I mix it up, but always focus on compound lifts before any isolation work. Rep range within 8-12 for most sets, with 5-8 for compound legs to build mass.

I don't eat the same thing every day at the moment, and I have tried many different types of diet over the past few years. At the moment I am focusing on eating staple foods, staying away from any rubbish (I don't drink - so this helps) and ensuring that I get a lot of protein in my diet (I purchase 20kg of fresh chicken breasts a month, each one around 227g from a local butcher) and also consume protein shakes. I try to keep my unsaturated fats up as I know these help to lose fat - and never eat simple carbs, only complex. Again, I try and eat all my carbs before 6-7pm in the evening, and have been on an ECA stack for the past month or so to try and lose some fat around the midsection/lower back.

Goal wise, it's very contradicting (as always with skinny fat people haha). In an ideal world, lose the gut/fat and build my chest and shoulders (mainly), oh and back. I know this is unrealistic and damn near impossible, so I'm going to have to stick to one!

Posting pictures - yeah, pretty embarrising, but that's what these forums are for hey.. I don't mind what people say about me/think about me and I'm willing to take all constructive criticism on board - hopefully I can help someone out someday using the information I receive myself

As I have mentioned, I am unhappy with my body (aren't we all.. we're never happy 100% lol) and it does actually effect me in terms of pushing for relationships/having fun with friends - I am a perfectionist (albeit very irritating, I am very much determine to push through this) and as such I want to sort my body out so that I am happy with it first, before expecting anyone else to be also. This may seem very shallow, but when you spin your wheels for circa 2 years, this is what happens lol.

What would you say my bf % is?

Any advice is good advice to me, and again thanks for taking the time to listen and help me out.
I think you should try to seperate your workouts into a six day routine instead. Chest one Day Shoulders next Biceps one day etc etc. I think this could help you focus on each exercise individually and help build your strength. You want to gain and lose fat then just check out a good fat burning diet. Make sure your eating every 2 hours you know the drill. Stop looking for a PERFECT routine or a PERFECT diet and just find some GOOD ones and STICK! to them Consistency is the KEY not PERFECT! Good luck! Keep us posted

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think you should try to seperate your workouts into a six day routine instead. Chest one Day Shoulders next Biceps one day etc etc. I think this could help you focus on each exercise individually and help build your strength. You want to gain and lose fat then just check out a good fat burning diet. Make sure your eating every 2 hours you know the drill. Stop looking for a PERFECT routine or a PERFECT diet and just find some GOOD ones and STICK! to them Consistency is the KEY not PERFECT! Good luck! Keep us posted
This doesn't work for hardgainers/skinny fat . Too much time between muscle stimulation. Skinny fats need to hit the whole body frequently and intensely. But too much is no good either!

Chest/shoulders/tris
Back/bis
Legs
Chest shoulders tris
Back bis
Rest weekend

This Is the ideal. Instead of 12-15 sets every 6 dys, split it up over two days.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This doesn't work for hardgainers/skinny fat . Too much time between muscle stimulation. Skinny fats need to hit the whole body frequently and intensely. But too much is no good either!

Chest/shoulders/tris
Back/bis
Legs
Chest shoulders tris
Back bis
Rest weekend

This Is the ideal. Instead of 12-15 sets every 6 dys, split it up over two days.
I do the 12-15
I do
Shoulders/Legs
3-5 exercises and 3-4 sets of 8-15 & the same for Chest/Tris and Back/BIs

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do the 12-15
I do
Shoulders/Legs
3-5 exercises and 3-4 sets of 8-15 & the same for Chest/Tris and Back/BIs
I'll do shoulders legs sometimes as well.

I'm about to start
Chest/back/shoulders
Cardio
Legs/arms
Cardio
Chest/back/shoulders

I only want to loft 3 days a week currently to try n bulk n put on some mass/weight. I do cardio on lifting days too tho, I'll have np gaining.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'll do shoulders legs sometimes as well.

I'm about to start
Chest/back/shoulders
Cardio
Legs/arms
Cardio
Chest/back/shoulders

I only want to loft 3 days a week currently to try n bulk n put on some mass/weight. I do cardio on lifting days too tho, I'll have np gaining.
I don't do much cardio need2burn some fat haha.
Yeah I only lift 3 days a week

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
I'd like to see more particulars in your training. Any supersets? What would you say your intensity level is, throughout your session? Also, with regard to eating, how much of that chicken are you taking in in a day?

I'm with Chedapalooza on the 3-4 day, heavy routine. It wouldn't hurt to periodically through in a light, high intensity day of say core work and cleanup stuff. Also, compound and power movements will do a world of good (cleans, squats, snatches, etc.) but make sure you know what you're doing in terms of form before you try that.

Ask a trainer (if you think they know what the Hell they're doing) if you don't, or someone else that serves in that capacity at your gym.

Ectomorphs are the hardest gainers, but your gains are going to make you look really​ good...so keep at it.

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
And, as an afterthought, it may be that you need some real coaching in the gym. At your age, that is nothing at all to be ashamed of, and WAY better than earning yourself a full rotator cuff tear like I did at 22 years old, permanently altering my work in the gym, forever. If you feel like you're not 100% sure, invest in a good trainer for just a few sessions. Pick up muscle books. Learn physiology. Learn how your body works...it's all really interesting and beats the Hell out of watching the crap that is on the telly nowadays.

Neuronic

Awards
And, as an afterthought, it may be that you need some real coaching in the gym. At your age, that is nothing at all to be ashamed of, and WAY better than earning yourself a full rotator cuff tear like I did at 22 years old, permanently altering my work in the gym, forever. If you feel like you're not 100% sure, invest in a good trainer for just a few sessions. Pick up muscle books. Learn physiology. Learn how your body works...it's all really interesting and beats the Hell out of watching the crap that is on the telly nowadays.
Thanks for the help stormecho, very helpful. I don't have a strict routine, I tend to plan my workouts on my way to the gym and superset/dropset as and when I feel I need to push my body further.

My intensity level is very intense, I genuinely feel bad about myself if I leave the gym having not put in 120% effort. I'm always the last person in the gym, probably overtraining but I need to see these results I am after - dedication, commitment and intensity are not an issue :)

Usually I take in around 3 chicken breasts a day, sometimes 4.

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
I don't have a strict routine, I tend to plan my workouts on my way to the gym and superset/dropset as and when I feel I need to push my body further.
For me, the strict routine is what made the difference in making gains. I found that when I write stuff down, I have to "stick to the program". Take in more protein than 3x chicken breasts/day. Get in egg whites. Tuna. Salmon. Beef. Get the compound exercises in.

You're going to have to fight exponentially harder than mesomorphs and endomorphs to gain weight, but get the diet and training in and you will.

Neuronic

Awards
For me, the strict routine is what made the difference in making gains. I found that when I write stuff down, I have to "stick to the program". Take in more protein than 3x chicken breasts/day. Get in egg whites. Tuna. Salmon. Beef. Get the compound exercises in.

You're going to have to fight exponentially harder than mesomorphs and endomorphs to gain weight, but get the diet and training in and you will.
So is it gaining weight that I should be after then? As my bf percentage (in my opinion) is quite high, I have a lot of 'soft fat' and rolls on my stomach.. yet I 'look' lean-ish.

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
Yeah man. Forget the "fat" thing. You're not fat. I bet your bf% is below 10. You look fairly lean to me.

If you're training like you say you are, then you're blazing through calories and your metabolism is high, even high than it is from just your being an ectomorph.

In my opinion, you'll hear a lot of very specific science about how many grams of protein per bodyweight and yadayadayada, but you don't need to obsess over it. At your age, your body is still changing hormonally and, as an ecto, you can (and should) pretty much stuff your face with lean proteins and very simple carbs. You do that, and the caloric excess will slowly but surely turn into muscle.

Remember, we're not looking for overnight here...this is a lifestyle to adopt. Forget the weight loss, you have no weight to lose. Focus on stacking it on, and I promise you whatever fat that you see on your own body will evaporate and be replaced with lean body mass.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
3 to 4 chicken breasts.. Try 3 to 4 pounds of chicken. I'm not joking. I do it daily. My mom can't wait til I move out soon. It's bizarre how much I eat. N being the last person in the gym isn't gonna make y grow. U need to eat rest n let your body grow n recover.. U don't grow in the gym u grow when u eat n sleep.

Neuronic

Awards
3 to 4 chicken breasts.. Try 3 to 4 pounds of chicken. I'm not joking. I do it daily. My mom can't wait til I move out soon. It's bizarre how much I eat. N being the last person in the gym isn't gonna make y grow. U need to eat rest n let your body grow n recover.. U don't grow in the gym u grow when u eat n sleep.
3-4 LB?! That's like what.. 1.5-1.8kg?! So.. 7 chicken breasts? Surely that would make me add more fat than muscle?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since no one posted this up; here's the image, so people don't have to link out to it:

progressb.jpg

I only glanced over responses, so far, but yes, you are very much lean and as soon as you add some muscle, you'll be able to look even better. The more lean mass you add, the better your metabolism will be and as you build that up, you'll actually have some muscles on that stomach and obliques and that will look a lot better.

I'd just slowly up the calories from where you're at. And I'd also look at swapping out some of that LISS cardio to some HIIT and some sprints.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Since no one posted this up; here's the image, so people don't have to link out to it:

I only glanced over responses, so far, but yes, you are very much lean and as soon as you add some muscle, you'll be able to look even better. The more lean mass you add, the better your metabolism will be and as you build that up, you'll actually have some muscles on that stomach and obliques and that will look a lot better.

I'd just slowly up the calories from where you're at. And I'd also look at swapping out some of that LISS cardio to some HIIT and some sprints.
Good advice.
And also 20kg of chicken breast might not be enough... Try getting some healthy fats and some carbs to refill glycogen. Are you making progress in the gym? That's a real marker as to if what you are doing is working. I honestly eat around 10kgs of chicken breast a week... And I also eat beef and go out to yakiniku buffets to eat as well... Hehe.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really food and HOW u train is all it is. 2 years is not long enough to learn what works for your body and what doesn't. As I said earlier, I'm goin on ten. If I had a resource like this maybe it would have only taken 5. I had to forget all of my bad habits before I could make any progress! And I'm still learning and will always want to keep learning... But u need to eat to grow. Eat as much as u can. Then take protein :)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I love how the media has guys thinking they are fat if they don't have their ribs poking out and have room to spare in skinny jeans.... SMH...

OP: your hip "v" shows a bit, you aren't fat, listen to these guys and reap some amazing rewards.

ManBeast

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love how the media has guys thinking they are fat if they don't have their ribs poking out and have room to spare in skinny jeans.... SMH...

OP: your hip "v" shows a bit, you aren't fat, listen to these guys and reap some amazing rewards.

ManBeast
Exactly. People go
Crazy trying to achieve a body that their genetics will
Never allow them to have. I starved myself to 94 pounds trying to get a 6 pack an make my chest smaller! All I got was 2 weeks in ICU and a summer in a psych hospital to gain weight and "fix" my body image disorder. Just do your best,the right way, and that's all one can do

Neuronic

Awards
Exactly. People go
Crazy trying to achieve a body that their genetics will
Never allow them to have. I starved myself to 94 pounds trying to get a 6 pack an make my chest smaller! All I got was 2 weeks in ICU and a summer in a psych hospital to gain weight and "fix" my body image disorder. Just do your best,the right way, and that's all one can do
Jesus - Thats what I was trying to do, lose enough fat to see some form of six pack definition and THEN bulk.. Hmm.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
If you don't have enough muscle for a solid 6-pack, no amount of dieting will make it visible... What on god's earth made you think you were an endomorph?

ManBeast

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
And another note: Skinny jeans are bad for your testicular health... just sayin.

ManBeast

Neuronic

Awards
And another note: Skinny jeans are bad for your testicular health... just sayin.

ManBeast
Good job I don't wear skinnys then :p hate the look of the things haha.

I'm not sure, high bf (my opinion) and low musclular mas I guess.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea. U need to build up the abs then they will show trust me! Weighted abwork!! No skinny jeans here, no undies either! My boys like it loose and free :)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Trust us, the reason you haven't been seeing gains is because you've been training wrong due to a distorted body image. If you can get your bodyfat checked accurately (water dip is the best, the egg thing is meh, and pinch tests suck IMHO), you'll be quite surprised.

ManBeast

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
Start counting calories.. Www.myfitnesspal.com is the best IMHO .. PC and smart phone .. I would say 2700-2900 per day to start.. 40% carbs 40% protien 20% fat (good fats) ..

4 day split workout plan and keep cardio to 2hrs max per week ..

see what happens .. adjust calories from there .. your gonna need protien.. Whey and casin .. creatine and glutamine..

I currently have 8% body fat and can't really see my abs .. I also have no clue how I actually look .. I see guys in the gym who are 20lbs lighter with more bf and I think they are huge in comparison to what I see in the mirror ...

And for the record these guys with abs for days are 4-6%bf and skinny lil f***s to begin with :p .. LMAO

There is a ton of good advice in this thread read it and use it.. You will get the results you want when you learn what works for your body

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
If you lose anymore weight you'll look like you play soccer. You don't want to look like all you do is run up and down a field do you??

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you lose anymore weight you'll look like you play soccer. You don't want to look like all you do is run up and down a field do you??
More like a marathon runner. A fair number of soccer players at least look athletic.

To OP: agreed with the consensus - you're about 12%. I don't think you're significantly less due to your legs, but you're lucky in that it seems you don't hold fat on your abdominals like others do.

Definitely concentrate on putting on muscle before you think about cutting down (dropping fat). Muscle tissue is more metabolically active/responsive than fat, so having more muscle makes burning fat an easier process. Also having more muscle allows you to exert a greater working capacity, so your workout sessions will burn more calories, and again you burn fat easier. There are probably more reasons to name, but work on getting big as a beginner and save cutting for later.

Srt4Muscle

Srt4Muscle

Awards
i assume you been starving yourself??? you got to eat to lose my friend, funny as that sounds, the sooner you realize its the truth the better off youll be. like suggested 3000 calories of good foods, spend some time learning about what foods are what. i dont know how in depth your ready to go, it seems like your motivated enough by your self image lol. keep your proteins at 1.5 per lb of bodyweight, try not to eat heavy carbs 6 hours before bed (IMO no pastas or breads for dinner). green veggies and a multivitamin are a must. you need a whole separate thread for help with a workout im sure. maybe pick you up a couple books to read, if your interested in bodybuilding for real, try arnolds encyclopedia. good luck bud, please learn to be patient with your body.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
One thing to remember in your situtation is that "discussion forums" are exactly what they advertise to be. A place to "discuss" things. Don't take anything anyone says on here to heart. Just use it as a source for suggestions and opinions. At the end of the day, you want to do your own research and use what works best for you.

Neuronic

Awards
Thanks for the help guys - really appreciated! Will have a read through everyone's comments and report back on what I decide to do.

One thing I noticed tonight when training (and one of the gym owners mentioned it also) - when I am benching, I tend to twist where my right side tries to over-compensate for my weaker side. This is the same when doing tricep movements and as such my lifts are very weak - infact, they are terrible! What can I do to overcome this? I feel that this is holding me back on mass building because of my weak chest/triceps.

On the whole, I look bigger than some of the people my age that are lifting more weight than I am, however this muscle appears to be 'fake'. Very annoying, and very very frustrating!

Apologies for moving off topic slightly - but it's relative to the thread :)

Cheers guys,

Adam

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To overcome inequality in individual arm strength just use dumbells for a while should even thingsout

shortbutbig

shortbutbig

Awards

You need to get negative thoughts out of your mind mate don't tell your self your not gaining because if you believe that you won't get big then maybe you won't. I don't know I might be talking sh1t, But I think mindset has a lot to do with it.

Neuronic

Awards
Hey up guys, thanks for the information previously - has been a big help. I'm not sure if anyone is remotely interested but I decided I would update you all as to what I am currently doing.

I have taken the advice and I am currently following a 3000 calorie diet whilst following a good full body 5x5 routine. Hopefully this shall help me to pack on some muscle by lifting heavy using compound movements.

I will keep you updated - first gym session tonight since starting the bulking diet :)

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey up guys, thanks for the information previously - has been a big help. I'm not sure if anyone is remotely interested but I decided I would update you all as to what I am currently doing.

I have taken the advice and I am currently following a 3000 calorie diet whilst following a good full body 5x5 routine. Hopefully this shall help me to pack on some muscle by lifting heavy using compound movements.

I will keep you updated - first gym session tonight since starting the bulking diet :)
Cool. Definitely will stay current w you n keep posting any ? U have
Good luck!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Good luck man, just remember to keep those calories clean as you can and you will be quite happy :) Lift hard, sleep hard!

ManBeast

Neuronic

Awards
Right, here is a link to my fitday diet log - my calories for the past two days have been way over the 3000 so I need to cut those down a bit, and also my ratios are slightly off, so a few more tweaks and I shall be there.

http://goo.gl/70Sbf

Would you recommend cardio in addition to lifting? Cheers for the support btw!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Keep the cardio mild, maybe some LI for 20 minutes or HIIT for 15, 2-3x a week just to say healthy.

ManBeast