First Cut...

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

First Cut...

Hello all im brand new to the site... Have used Bodybuilding.com for a while and thought id try this site out to see if it was maybe a little more helpful place...

I am starting my first cut since starting lifting a year and a half ago...

I started at 161lb and now weigh in at 191lb...

I am trying to figure out my maitenance req so i can start lowering the calories from there... I have seen a lot of different estimations on what i should be consuming and i figure the best bet is just to start experimenting..

I am terrified of muscle loss and hope to stave that off!

-Thanks for reading and if you have any advice for a first time cutter please let me know

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.

IMO, going off calculators online is pointless. I like to eat a certain amount of calories a week and see if I lose or gain and then base it off that. How many calories did you end you bulk on?
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

I never really counted calories i just made sure i ate a lot and consistently... this is was probably a huge mistake....
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.

The online calculators give you a starting point .. Try it for two week .. See how you feel .. Drop a couple hundred (or raise) depending on what you want for results .. Keeping a relatively accurate macro count is probably more important than anything IMHO .. I ( alot here also) use My Fitness Pal .. Works on pc and mobile
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.

Just did an online calculator out of curiosity .. Told me 2914/day for maintainance.. I feel best and maintain my weight at 2600-2700 per day .. So not too far off ..
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

Yeah the biggest issue i had with online calcs are that its hard to describe my activity level with the prompts..... I have an office job so im sitting... However i lift 4 days a week intense and do hiit 2-3 times a week..
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.

Try 2800 cals for a week and go from there
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

thanks for all the replies! all are repped
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

1,320 cals 24.6F 93.8C 136.0P

Wow these are my totals so far in the day.. at 5:15 pm.... i think im going to be consuming way too much protein today....

Should i skip some protein in my evening meal... i plan to do some hiit tonight..
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawks87
    1,320 cals 24.6F 93.8C 136.0P

Wow these are my totals so far in the day.. at 5:15 pm.... i think im going to be consuming way too much protein today....

Should i skip some protein in my evening meal... i plan to do some hiit tonight..
    In my opinion you never skip on protein especially if you want to maintain muscle. I live by this quote: "protein is muscle, muscle is protein." I've read tons of articles where they show high protein will aid in weight loss. I try to get 1-1.5 grabs of protein even when I cut.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

^^^ what he said bro 136 actually seems a lil low to me u should try and hit about 200 a day and see how that works
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

First off, welcome to AM.

1. How fast did you go from 161 to 191
    2. What's your goal weight again?
    3. Protein (as suggested) & health fats are key to losing fat weight.

Starts in the kitchen and ends with cardio.
    Formutech Nutrition | Online/Social Media Rep
    Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram for more promos!
    www.formutechnutrition.com |www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.

Eliminate junk food, drink lots and lots and lots of water, up protein, up cardio.
    Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.
    -Jim Morrison
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

Thanks... I went from 161-191 took about a year but i did it real slow and diddnt monitor how many cals in vs out at all.. just ate healthy and lifted hard.... I think that for most of that time I wasnt eating enough.. I stepped up the eating about 5 months ago and that is where I think i gained a lot of the fat I have now...

I ended up with like 240g yesterday.... I diddnt realize that every food that I eat basically has a high protein count... Besides the oats and brown rice....

I have no problems with junk food i dont eat fast food and dont really crave anything besides the occasional chipotle bowl....
    I will do my 2500 cals a day for a week and see if i drop any LBs and adjust from there.... I appreciate all the help guys....

Also ive heard that HIIT is best for reducing muscle loss and increasing fat loss? I was thinking of doing HIIT mon and fri and a low intensity cardio day wed...
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

Oh and my goal weight was 200.... but i want to cut this fat and then rebulk to 200 clean.... im hoping that after losing the body fat i can be at around 175-180?
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

I also see alot of other people who weight alot more then me cutting with 2500 cals which kind of makes me think mine is way too high... I guess i will see after the week.... lol
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

How tall are you?
    Formutech Nutrition | Online/Social Media Rep
    Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram for more promos!
    www.formutechnutrition.com |www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

5 ft 7 1/2
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

Im going to check the scale where i weigh in at for accuracy today.. cant believe i forgot about that.. however ive checked two scales and they both read the same... i just dont see how i could weigh 191 i dont look it... Or maybe my mind is just f*in with me..... i think i look tiny now since i started this cut...
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

coming up on a week of the cut at 2500 cals... when i weigh in on the 7th day if my weight is the same or slightly lower like 1-2 lbs... should i reduce cals to say 2000? or 2200? I assume if there is a small change of lbs its most likely water weight... any insights?
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawks87 View Post
    coming up on a week of the cut at 2500 cals... when i weigh in on the 7th day if my weight is the same or slightly lower like 1-2 lbs... should i reduce cals to say 2000? or 2200? I assume if there is a small change of lbs its most likely water weight... any insights?
    I wouldn't try to lose more than a pound a week, maybe 1.5 MAX. Do it slow, if you're losing weight too quickly you will lose more muscle. Slow and steady is better. If you lose a pound, keep your cals the same. I would only lower them when you stop the weight loss. And when you drop them don't be drastic. If you drop to 2000 cals a few weeks in, you will be eating damn near nothing in two months.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

oh ok so if im the same weight a the end of the week just drop maybe 200-250 cals?
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

quick update its been almost 2 weeks and im at 187-188 lbs so a drop of 3lbs about....

so far so good... may start incorporating a carb refeed once a week... some days im feeling kind of sluggish and i think its because my carbs tend to stay pretty low.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.

Too be honest...I like the counting. I started a cut, for my first time a few months ago. Tons of help on this site.

It really helped me to understand what I was eating, what calories it was worth and to keep me on track.
    I am 5'9" age 35
    Started at 176 and currently about 159-160.
    Shooting for about 155 to get to about 13% body fat and then will do clean bulk.

Myfitnesspal program was great for keeping track of the basics. someone earlier stated about watching the protein.
    I did discover that for some days when I achieved by 500 calorie deficit but sometimes it was too much (because of cardio), I simply added on a extra ON gold whey shake to ensure protein stayed high.

Of course, BCAA's during cardio as well.

I like using the calculators like myfitnesspal. I have learned so much about what foods give me what as far as nutrition. Probably wouldn't do it during a bulk, since i'll just eat healthy (now that I learned what that means) and just add more protein.
  •