Help with building or maintaining muscle while losing weight.

zebediah23

Awards
This is my first post, so bare with me. I'm a 33 year-old male, 6'2 272lbs. On October 1st I joined a gym, my staring weight was 325. I'm thrilled to have lost 53lbs in only three months, more than I could have imagined!! I go to gym at 530 am six days a week. I have focused almost exclusively on cardio (primarily treadmill for 50-60 min, some hiit on bike, some elliptical) I have done a small amount of lifting with cables & machines only. Today I finally ventured over to the freeweight section. My plan is to do bi's/tri's monday, followed by 30-35 minutes of cardio, 50-60 min cardio tuesday, chest wednesday, followed by 30-35 min cardio, 50-60 min cardio thursday, back/shoulders w/30-35 min cardio friday, 50-60 min cardio saturday, off sunday. Im probably about 35-40% bf. My diet is around 1700 cal. 200g of protein, less than 50 g carbs. Suggestions please. Thanks

spgreer

Awards
If you're going to lift, lift. Buy Riptoe & Kilgore Starting Strength (I think in 3rd Ed. now). Learn to Squat and DeadLift Properly. Hit these hard at least twice a week.

zebediah23

Awards
Thanks, One question, I have lower back issues due to car wrecks, poor posture, & excessive weight. Nothing major, just chronic pain. I also have bursitis in both knees. Will deadlifts cause more back pain & are squats effective if I cant go "deep" with them. Thanks again

Go Away

Go Away

Awards
Re-ask these last questions in the weight lifting section and I bet you get great results. Also, check animalpak.com for liftin routines, from novice to advanced (which will be you in about three years).

Check tnation.com for squat and deadlift articles - they have great tips. Also, ask around at some of the lifting boards, especially here in the weight lifting forums, about specific problems like bursitis and back pain and how people have dealt with them. Google will be your best friend - and make sure the advice comes from credible sources - you don't want to get bad advice and injure yourself. Good luck fam

zebediah23

Awards
Thanks, at present I am down to 228. 97lbs down in 6 months. My lifts have doubled, im guessing my bf has dropped from around 35% to 18-23%.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
This is my first post, so bare with me. I'm a 33 year-old male, 6'2 272lbs. On October 1st I joined a gym, my staring weight was 325. I'm thrilled to have lost 53lbs in only three months, more than I could have imagined!! I go to gym at 530 am six days a week. I have focused almost exclusively on cardio (primarily treadmill for 50-60 min, some hiit on bike, some elliptical) I have done a small amount of lifting with cables & machines only. Today I finally ventured over to the freeweight section. My plan is to do bi's/tri's monday, followed by 30-35 minutes of cardio, 50-60 min cardio tuesday, chest wednesday, followed by 30-35 min cardio, 50-60 min cardio thursday, back/shoulders w/30-35 min cardio friday, 50-60 min cardio saturday, off sunday. Im probably about 35-40% bf. My diet is around 1700 cal. 200g of protein, less than 50 g carbs. Suggestions please. Thanks
Where's leg day???

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Thanks, at present I am down to 228. 97lbs down in 6 months. My lifts have doubled, im guessing my bf has dropped from around 35% to 18-23%.
97lbs down is fantastic mate. Congrats on your transformation so far.