Protein requirements from........??

plague

Awards
Ok, this problem keeps plaguing me
I am constantly trying to figure out how to get my protein from foods without spending alot of time preparing food. I usually end up going back to relying more on whey powder. I would like to know how others are getting their protein requirements and from where, prep times, costs, etc......it's easy to meet carb requirements and fat req's for that matter but it seems to be more difficult with the most important macronutrient.
thx

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
chicken.. 6 lb bag of boneless skinless breast from Sam's Club ~12
Grill on Sunday and fix for the entire week. about 2 hours total
Tuna 6 oz can StarKist ~.85 open drain.. add hot sause 5 minutes max
The main secret is to plan ahead and fix a bunch for the entire week, then store in frig or freezer..

tbosley1

Awards
What's wrong with getting your protein from whey? It's cheaper, better and more convenient than protein in food.

tbosley1

Awards
I'm comparing protein to protein. What food has a better amino acid profile?

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm comparing protein to protein. What food has a better amino acid profile?
Most animal protiens are complete (contain all the essential amino acids). In addtion food contains vitamins and minerals and many unidentified as yet components that cannot be replicated in a shake. Its not all about what you consume either its about absorbtion as well. You may consume 50g of whey in a shake but will all of it be absorbed and utilised? Read through the post on the Nutrition and Diet forum there is a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board.

In summary, you can't beat real food!

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
When I am away from home. Mainly canned tuna at .44 cents a pop. When at home, I enjoy making plain old eggwhite omelettes, using maybe 10+ ew's. Not the most inventive answer, but that is what I have been doing. Plenty enjoyable to me.

You could also buy the little packs of cottage cheese. Most other meats seem to come in the no-drain packets now also. Just a bit pricey. Those are about as convenient as it gets I think.

Awards
I do like Matthew with the chicken. I cook them all at once and keep them at work in the fridge. Then I just have to reheat it at work. It takes about the same amount of time to cook a weeks worth as one.

tbosley1

Awards
Most animal protiens are complete (contain all the essential amino acids). In addtion food contains vitamins and minerals and many unidentified as yet components that cannot be replicated in a shake. Its not all about what you consume either its about absorbtion as well. You may consume 50g of whey in a shake but will all of it be absorbed and utilised? Read through the post on the Nutrition and Diet forum there is a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board.

In summary, you can't beat real food!
Just because something contains all the aminos, doesn't mean it has them in enough amount. Then, what's their biological value, digestibility scores, etc.?

As I said, I was comparing protein to protein not protein to protein, vitamins, carbs, etc.

There are only two ways you know if you're not absorbing something: professionally test your waste and trial and error.

I see no harm in seeing what a protein supplement does.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Then your answer is egg. Why do you think its the standard?

You might be looking as protein compared to protein but you are not looking at the bigger prcture when it comes to utilization of proteins. Whole foods ALWAYS digest better than processed powders and always deliver nutrients in a more timely fashion (except post workout) to keep nitrogen balance optimal throughout the day. This is basic nutrition and the reason why whey is a SUPPLEMENT.

Nobody said it was harmful, just whole foods are better and its the truth.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As I said, I was comparing protein to protein not protein to protein, vitamins, carbs, etc.

There are only two ways you know if you're not absorbing something: professionally test your waste and trial and error.
1. He was telling you why whole foods we're better and he was right. What is the point of having a great amino acid profile if you body converts half of those into glucose?

2. Its called gas and GI stress caused from the buildup of excess nitrogen due to the body being given too much at one time (over consumption of fast absorbing proteins).

tbosley1

Awards
Egg "protein" is the standard because of evolution. It's convenient. I'm not saying it isn't good. It is, but expensive.

You're using the term "processed" like something bad happened to egg protein or other proteins. Except for raw fruits and vegetables, everything is processed. I don't know the process for egg protein, but casein and whey have been hardly damaged.

I don't know why food is being mentioned. Eat your regular meals and supplement with protein (primarily between meals) to see what happens. I'm not talking about slim built guys. I thought that this was a bodybuilding board.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its not the standard because of evolution (that statement makes no sense), its the standard because of its amino acid profile (since its the most complete in euqal amounts) and its the easiest to digest (it has the best PDCAAS). It also have the best amino acid scoring, Net protein utilization and PER (Protein efficiency rating).ITs called a refernce protein for a reason. Please know what you are tlaking about it before you comment.

Nobody said they were damaged pal. Maybe if you actually took the time to read you would understand. The process of making powders removes key vitamins and minerals to where you have to supplement them (espoecially fat soluble vitamins). Whole foods also deliver nutrients more efficiently during regular feeding times keeping a more stable positive nitrogen balance (you know, what we need to grow?).

You don't know why food is being mentioned?? You have to be kidding me. Bodybuilders eat more whole foods THAN ANYONE!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

tbosley1

Awards
I wasn't clear about evolution. Egg has been around since the beginning of time. Whey, as we know it, is fairly recent.

The PDCAAS, BV, and PD for whey are higher than egg.

Like I said, I'm talking primarily about between meals.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BV is high and that is all but doens't mean anything because the test given to measure BV is protein only at a given amount. . There is a reason why digestive enzymes are included with many Whey supplements.

If you are talking about in between meals then your logic if even more flawed because you don't need a fast absorbing protein in between meals. You want a long sustaining protein that keeps a positive and sustained nitrogen balance, not spikes. That is why egg is so good becasue the NPU score measure retension of food nitrogen consumed and it a better indiciator on how the body utlilized protein rather than just the measure of how much is absorbed (as in BV). Also BV shows how much is absorbed but if you do not utilize those amino's they eventually get deaminated and excreted (because of excess buildup of aminos due to fast absortion in a normal feeding state). The physiology of post wokrout and normal feeding times are not the same and you need to realize this.

As for digestion, its faster and that is it. It doesn't get absorbed better at all (especially during normal feeding patterns) and the NPU already shows egg to be superior in overall utilization of protein because of a slower extended release of amino's.

"The highest PDCAAS value that any protein can achieve is 1.0. This score means that after digestion of the food protein, it provides per unit of protein, 100% or more of the indispensable amino acids required by the two- to five-year old child. A score above 1.0 is rounded down to 1.0. Any amino acids in excess of those required to build and repair tissue would not be used for protein synthesis, but would be catabolized and eliminated from the body or stored as fat."

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was wondering is there any reason why you are pushing whey so much? You wouldn't be affiliated with anyone would you?

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Like I said, I'm talking primarily about between meals.

The whole "eat 3 meals a day and drink a protein shake between meals" is garbage. I hear it all the time. Garbage!

DougMan

Awards
Yea. Its hard to get off shakes once you start though. I have been making an effort. I still cant believe that fats dont slow down the digestion of protein. But Bobo seems to be the most researched here so I will have to take his word for it (as in his research, not saying it is his opinion). I am on a low carb diet and now I am trying to work out small meals to eat along with shakes. AKA use whey as a supplement haha. Imagine that :)

But as far as meals go. Like someone mentioned Chicken can be cheap if you buy it right. Yea tuna is cheaper but some people cant handle it everyday (including myself). If you go to a larger grocery store like Kroger (called different named around the country) you will notice they sometimes discount a select amount of their meat pretty deeply.

Last edited:

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
BV is high and that is all but doens't mean anything because the test given to measure BV is protein only at a given amount. . There is a reason why digestive enzymes are included with many Whey supplements.

If you are talking about in between meals then your logic if even more flawed because you don't need a fast absorbing protein in between meals. You want a long sustaining protein that keeps a positive and sustained nitrogen balance, not spikes. That is why egg is so good becasue the NPU score measure retension of food nitrogen consumed and it a better indiciator on how the body utlilized protein rather than just the measure of how much is absorbed (as in BV). Also BV shows how much is absorbed but if you do not utilize those amino's they eventually get deaminated and excreted (because of excess buildup of aminos due to fast absortion in a normal feeding state). The physiology of post wokrout and normal feeding times are not the same and you need to realize this.

As for digestion, its faster and that is it. It doesn't get absorbed better at all (especially during normal feeding patterns) and the NPU already shows egg to be superior in overall utilization of protein because of a slower extended release of amino's.

"The highest PDCAAS value that any protein can achieve is 1.0. This score means that after digestion of the food protein, it provides per unit of protein, 100% or more of the indispensable amino acids required by the two- to five-year old child. A score above 1.0 is rounded down to 1.0. Any amino acids in excess of those required to build and repair tissue would not be used for protein synthesis, but would be catabolized and eliminated from the body or stored as fat."
Great post Bobo..

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I pretty much limit my whey protien shake to pre and post workouts oh and my 1:00am wake up shake..I start my day with 6 eggs scrambled (only 3 yolkes when dieting just to keep calories down) 1 cup of oatmeal then around 10:00am chicken breast 10oz then around noon 1 can of pastene tuna packed in olive oil ( I hate Mayo and packed in water is to dry) 2:00pm I drink 6 egg whites with 2 yolkes, 4 pm Lean turkey breast with whole wheat low carb bread (stone ground) then around 7 pm.dinner generally flank steak onion and peppers(mmm Good) 9:00pm bedtime protien shake with 2 eggs and coconut oil,then i wake up around 1:00am-2am and have a pritien drink..

Mayhem

Awards
No wonder you're useless duing the weekend at party time... :run:

Sup brutha man..

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
It's funny how many people still depend entirely on protein powders for their protein needs. Whole food is best! I as well am guilty of using protein powders too heavily but I take in about 300g of protein daily currently and have a hard time getting in more than about 200 from food so I throw down 2-3 shakes a day (with some form of whole food) to make up the numbers.