Protein requirements from........?? - AnabolicMinds.com

Protein requirements from........??

  1. New Member
    plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    125

    Reputation

    Talking Protein requirements from........??


    Ok, this problem keeps plaguing me I am constantly trying to figure out how to get my protein from foods without spending alot of time preparing food. I usually end up going back to relying more on whey powder. I would like to know how others are getting their protein requirements and from where, prep times, costs, etc......it's easy to meet carb requirements and fat req's for that matter but it seems to be more difficult with the most important macronutrient.
    thx

  2. Elite Member
    Matthew D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,014
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    chicken.. 6 lb bag of boneless skinless breast from Sam's Club ~12
    Grill on Sunday and fix for the entire week. about 2 hours total
    Tuna 6 oz can StarKist ~.85 open drain.. add hot sause 5 minutes max
    The main secret is to plan ahead and fix a bunch for the entire week, then store in frig or freezer..
  3. New Member
    tbosley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    131

    Reputation

    What's wrong with getting your protein from whey? It's cheaper, better and more convenient than protein in food.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    cobra1414's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    197

    Reputation

    Cheaper and more convenient yes, better no.
  5. New Member
    tbosley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    131

    Reputation

    I'm comparing protein to protein. What food has a better amino acid profile?
  6. Board Supporter
    200wannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    363

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tbosley1
    I'm comparing protein to protein. What food has a better amino acid profile?
    Most animal protiens are complete (contain all the essential amino acids). In addtion food contains vitamins and minerals and many unidentified as yet components that cannot be replicated in a shake. Its not all about what you consume either its about absorbtion as well. You may consume 50g of whey in a shake but will all of it be absorbed and utilised? Read through the post on the Nutrition and Diet forum there is a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board.

    In summary, you can't beat real food!
  7. Board Supporter
    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    623
    Rep Power
    456

    Reputation

    When I am away from home. Mainly canned tuna at .44 cents a pop. When at home, I enjoy making plain old eggwhite omelettes, using maybe 10+ ew's. Not the most inventive answer, but that is what I have been doing. Plenty enjoyable to me.

    You could also buy the little packs of cottage cheese. Most other meats seem to come in the no-drain packets now also. Just a bit pricey. Those are about as convenient as it gets I think.
  8. New Member
    5111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    195

    Reputation

    I do like Matthew with the chicken. I cook them all at once and keep them at work in the fridge. Then I just have to reheat it at work. It takes about the same amount of time to cook a weeks worth as one.
  9. New Member
    tbosley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    131

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by 200wannabe
    Most animal protiens are complete (contain all the essential amino acids). In addtion food contains vitamins and minerals and many unidentified as yet components that cannot be replicated in a shake. Its not all about what you consume either its about absorbtion as well. You may consume 50g of whey in a shake but will all of it be absorbed and utilised? Read through the post on the Nutrition and Diet forum there is a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board.

    In summary, you can't beat real food!
    Just because something contains all the aminos, doesn't mean it has them in enough amount. Then, what's their biological value, digestibility scores, etc.?

    As I said, I was comparing protein to protein not protein to protein, vitamins, carbs, etc.

    There are only two ways you know if you're not absorbing something: professionally test your waste and trial and error.

    I see no harm in seeing what a protein supplement does.
  10. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7016

    Reputation

    Then your answer is egg. Why do you think its the standard?

    You might be looking as protein compared to protein but you are not looking at the bigger prcture when it comes to utilization of proteins. Whole foods ALWAYS digest better than processed powders and always deliver nutrients in a more timely fashion (except post workout) to keep nitrogen balance optimal throughout the day. This is basic nutrition and the reason why whey is a SUPPLEMENT.

    Nobody said it was harmful, just whole foods are better and its the truth.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  11. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7016

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tbosley1

    As I said, I was comparing protein to protein not protein to protein, vitamins, carbs, etc.

    There are only two ways you know if you're not absorbing something: professionally test your waste and trial and error.
    .
    1. He was telling you why whole foods we're better and he was right. What is the point of having a great amino acid profile if you body converts half of those into glucose?

    2. Its called gas and GI stress caused from the buildup of excess nitrogen due to the body being given too much at one time (over consumption of fast absorbing proteins).
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  12. New Member
    tbosley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    131

    Reputation

    Egg "protein" is the standard because of evolution. It's convenient. I'm not saying it isn't good. It is, but expensive.

    You're using the term "processed" like something bad happened to egg protein or other proteins. Except for raw fruits and vegetables, everything is processed. I don't know the process for egg protein, but casein and whey have been hardly damaged.

    I don't know why food is being mentioned. Eat your regular meals and supplement with protein (primarily between meals) to see what happens. I'm not talking about slim built guys. I thought that this was a bodybuilding board.
  13. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7016

    Reputation

    Its not the standard because of evolution (that statement makes no sense), its the standard because of its amino acid profile (since its the most complete in euqal amounts) and its the easiest to digest (it has the best PDCAAS). It also have the best amino acid scoring, Net protein utilization and PER (Protein efficiency rating).ITs called a refernce protein for a reason. Please know what you are tlaking about it before you comment.

    Nobody said they were damaged pal. Maybe if you actually took the time to read you would understand. The process of making powders removes key vitamins and minerals to where you have to supplement them (espoecially fat soluble vitamins). Whole foods also deliver nutrients more efficiently during regular feeding times keeping a more stable positive nitrogen balance (you know, what we need to grow?).

    You don't know why food is being mentioned?? You have to be kidding me. Bodybuilders eat more whole foods THAN ANYONE!
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  14. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7016

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tbosley1
    I thought that this was a bodybuilding board.
    It is but we usually require more than meathead logic.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  15. New Member
    tbosley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    131

    Reputation

    I wasn't clear about evolution. Egg has been around since the beginning of time. Whey, as we know it, is fairly recent.

    The PDCAAS, BV, and PD for whey are higher than egg.

    Like I said, I'm talking primarily about between meals.
  16. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7016

    Reputation

    BV is high and that is all but doens't mean anything because the test given to measure BV is protein only at a given amount. . There is a reason why digestive enzymes are included with many Whey supplements.

    If you are talking about in between meals then your logic if even more flawed because you don't need a fast absorbing protein in between meals. You want a long sustaining protein that keeps a positive and sustained nitrogen balance, not spikes. That is why egg is so good becasue the NPU score measure retension of food nitrogen consumed and it a better indiciator on how the body utlilized protein rather than just the measure of how much is absorbed (as in BV). Also BV shows how much is absorbed but if you do not utilize those amino's they eventually get deaminated and excreted (because of excess buildup of aminos due to fast absortion in a normal feeding state). The physiology of post wokrout and normal feeding times are not the same and you need to realize this.

    As for digestion, its faster and that is it. It doesn't get absorbed better at all (especially during normal feeding patterns) and the NPU already shows egg to be superior in overall utilization of protein because of a slower extended release of amino's.


    "The highest PDCAAS value that any protein can achieve is 1.0. This score means that after digestion of the food protein, it provides per unit of protein, 100% or more of the indispensable amino acids required by the two- to five-year old child. A score above 1.0 is rounded down to 1.0. Any amino acids in excess of those required to build and repair tissue would not be used for protein synthesis, but would be catabolized and eliminated from the body or stored as fat."
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  17. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7016

    Reputation

    I was wondering is there any reason why you are pushing whey so much? You wouldn't be affiliated with anyone would you?
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  18. Board Supporter
    DieTrying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    909
    Rep Power
    12958

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tbosley1
    Like I said, I'm talking primarily about between meals.

    The whole "eat 3 meals a day and drink a protein shake between meals" is garbage. I hear it all the time. Garbage!
  19. Registered User
    DougMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    30
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    242

    Reputation

    Yea. Its hard to get off shakes once you start though. I have been making an effort. I still cant believe that fats dont slow down the digestion of protein. But Bobo seems to be the most researched here so I will have to take his word for it (as in his research, not saying it is his opinion). I am on a low carb diet and now I am trying to work out small meals to eat along with shakes. AKA use whey as a supplement haha. Imagine that

    But as far as meals go. Like someone mentioned Chicken can be cheap if you buy it right. Yea tuna is cheaper but some people cant handle it everyday (including myself). If you go to a larger grocery store like Kroger (called different named around the country) you will notice they sometimes discount a select amount of their meat pretty deeply.
    Last edited by DougMan; 09-07-2004 at 08:56 PM.
  20. Board Supporter
    200wannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    363

    Reputation

    Thumbs up


    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    BV is high and that is all but doens't mean anything because the test given to measure BV is protein only at a given amount. . There is a reason why digestive enzymes are included with many Whey supplements.

    If you are talking about in between meals then your logic if even more flawed because you don't need a fast absorbing protein in between meals. You want a long sustaining protein that keeps a positive and sustained nitrogen balance, not spikes. That is why egg is so good becasue the NPU score measure retension of food nitrogen consumed and it a better indiciator on how the body utlilized protein rather than just the measure of how much is absorbed (as in BV). Also BV shows how much is absorbed but if you do not utilize those amino's they eventually get deaminated and excreted (because of excess buildup of aminos due to fast absortion in a normal feeding state). The physiology of post wokrout and normal feeding times are not the same and you need to realize this.

    As for digestion, its faster and that is it. It doesn't get absorbed better at all (especially during normal feeding patterns) and the NPU already shows egg to be superior in overall utilization of protein because of a slower extended release of amino's.


    "The highest PDCAAS value that any protein can achieve is 1.0. This score means that after digestion of the food protein, it provides per unit of protein, 100% or more of the indispensable amino acids required by the two- to five-year old child. A score above 1.0 is rounded down to 1.0. Any amino acids in excess of those required to build and repair tissue would not be used for protein synthesis, but would be catabolized and eliminated from the body or stored as fat."
    Great post Bobo..
  21. Board Supporter
    MaDmaN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Age
    55
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    20134

    Reputation

    I pretty much limit my whey protien shake to pre and post workouts oh and my 1:00am wake up shake..I start my day with 6 eggs scrambled (only 3 yolkes when dieting just to keep calories down) 1 cup of oatmeal then around 10:00am chicken breast 10oz then around noon 1 can of pastene tuna packed in olive oil ( I hate Mayo and packed in water is to dry) 2:00pm I drink 6 egg whites with 2 yolkes, 4 pm Lean turkey breast with whole wheat low carb bread (stone ground) then around 7 pm.dinner generally flank steak onion and peppers(mmm Good) 9:00pm bedtime protien shake with 2 eggs and coconut oil,then i wake up around 1:00am-2am and have a pritien drink..
  22. New Member
    Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    137

    Reputation

    No wonder you're useless duing the weekend at party time...


    Sup brutha man..
  23. New Member
    Gethuge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    371
    Rep Power
    325

    Reputation

    It's funny how many people still depend entirely on protein powders for their protein needs. Whole food is best! I as well am guilty of using protein powders too heavily but I take in about 300g of protein daily currently and have a hard time getting in more than about 200 from food so I throw down 2-3 shakes a day (with some form of whole food) to make up the numbers.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. protein requirement for 70+
    By cantstop19 in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
  2. soy and protein requirements
    By RaMatkal in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 02:19 PM
  3. Melamine found in Protein Powders from China
    By moderation in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 05:42 PM
  4. The Practical Scientist, Protein Requirements
    By Quinc in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
  5. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in