The Cause of Obesity

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
What about us that started out lean, drank too much beer, got lazy, and was on a heavy medical steroid like prednisone for a long time? There is way too many factors, I think they all have some part to play though.

Genetics
Life Style
Motivation
Food Choices
Stress
Medical
...etc..etc.

Don't think you can pin it on any one thing.

anoopbal

Awards
Hi,

Are you saying everyone who are not obese are carefully watching their diet throughout their whole life? And when we say the genetic contribution of obesity is 70-80% (second to height), it is not a casual observation. These are done from the studies using MZ and DZ twins and adoption studies. Now we are identifying those genes responsible too. And the rest of the percentage is mainly attributed to non-shared environment; means they are seeking their own lifestyle and are not just influenced by their environment around (shared)

Drugs such prednisone and anti-depression drugs are good example how your higher cognitive areas is dominating your biological drive to eat. Once you get off the drugs, you are back to where you are.

There is no way to explain why someone is 350 lb and why another person is 150lb in the same toxic environment.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
Hi,

Are you saying everyone who are not obese are carefully watching their diet throughout their whole life? And when we say the genetic contribution of obesity is 70-80% (second to height), it is not a casual observation. These are done from the studies using MZ and DZ twins and adoption studies. Now we are identifying those genes responsible too. And the rest of the percentage is mainly attributed to non-shared environment; means they are seeking their own lifestyle and are not just influenced by their environment around (shared)

Drugs such prednisone and anti-depression drugs are good example how your higher cognitive areas is dominating your biological drive to eat. Once you get off the drugs, you are back to where you are.

There is no way to explain why someone is 350 lb and why another person is 150lb in the same toxic environment.
Not saying its not a factor, but it's just that. A factor. Add in age, height, skeletal muscle and frame size, and etc... There is way to many factors to base it on one thing. Hormones can cause issues as well and they've shown why hormones are genetically pre set your environment, foods, and even the people around you can effect your hormones and change them from the norm. There is no clear way to pin point, only guides and flags that could suggest that this person would be more likely to be obese. It'll never be cut and dry.

anoopbal

Awards
Not saying its not a factor, but it's just that. A factor. Add in age, height, skeletal muscle and frame size, and etc... There is way to many factors to base it on one thing. Hormones can cause issues as well and they've shown why hormones are genetically pre set your environment, foods, and even the people around you can effect your hormones and change them from the norm. There is no clear way to pin point, only guides and flags that could suggest that this person would be more likely to be obese. It'll never be cut and dry.
When we say heritability of BMI it includes height , skeletal frame, muscle and whatever. When someone says the contribution is 70-90%, it is more than 'A factor'. Numbers mean things.

MZ twins are 100% genetically identical whereas DZ twins are 50%. We have studied over thousands of these twins all over the world over the years. There are heritable traits which have 10% heritability whereas others which are around 90%. Height is the most heritable. Weight is just slightly lower than that.

Fat

Fat

Awards
What about us that started out lean, drank too much beer, got lazy, and was on a heavy medical steroid like prednisone for a long time? There is way too many factors, I think they all have some part to play though.

Genetics
Life Style
Motivation
Food Choices
Stress
Medical
...etc..etc.

Don't think you can pin it on any one thing.
Agreed. This is the truth.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
I can pin it to several things.

Sugar
Alcohol
Genetics
Laziness

Just my .02c

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
depression>>>marijuana>>>>munchies.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
In all seriousness,though, the paramount cause of obesity for 98+% of people is a lack of will to not be obese.

all of these things - height,genes,hormones,etc, are all handicaps. for someone that WANTS more than anything to not be obese, they will do what it takes to make it so.

just because it isn't as easy as someone else to be at a normal weight, does not mean isn't possible. you may need to work 10x as hard. you might need to eat less, you might need to supplement hormones,fat burners, or even change your environment-including job,friends, and the like.

the bottom line is, for most obese people, being thin is an idea they like, but they don't want it. if they wanted it, they would do what it takes to get it.

a clear example is someone dieting who is met with a decision to stay on their diet, or eat the brownies in the kitchen. they will do exactly what they want to do.

someone sacrificing diet for a more stressful job is choosing the job over their physique. they are prioritizing. they only want it [ a healthy weight] if it means little to no sacrifice [inconvenience].

anoopbal

Awards
In all seriousness, try losing 60-100 lbs and keeping it off for atleast 10 years. It is easy to say it is all about will power. And it is true that a minority can do it.

People who always say obesity is lack of will power and such are the ones who are born lean.

There is no way to explain why there are people who are 150lbs AND 350lbs in the very same obsegenic environment!

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
In all seriousness, try losing 60-100 lbs and keeping it off for atleast 10 years. It is easy to say it is all about will power. And it is true that a minority can do it.

People who always say obesity is lack of will power and such are the ones who are born lean.

There is no way to explain why there are people who are 150lbs AND 350lbs in the very same obsegenic environment!
this is the counter-productive thought process that is responsible for the staggering obesity rate.

what do you want? sympathy? empathy? the last i checked, high levels of these don't lower your risk for diabetes and heart disease.

excuses don't change reality. it's not about aesthetics. obese people want others to 'understand' what they are up against and that's fine, but it's not helpful.

similar to many things, the 'why' doesn't matter as much as the 'what'. it doesn't matter why you're obese. it matters that you are, and if you want to lower your risk for many diseases, you will find a way to change it. that's all there is.

anoopbal

Awards
Did you read the Practical Considerations?

And this s great article posted in New york times just yesterday: The Fat trap

And here is the conclusion of this article. Here is your answer:

So where does that leave a person who wants to lose a sizable amount of weight? Weight-loss scientists say they believe that once more people understand the genetic and biological challenges of keeping weight off, doctors and patients will approach weight loss more realistically and more compassionately. At the very least, the science may compel people who are already overweight to work harder to make sure they don’t put on additional pounds. Some people, upon learning how hard permanent weight loss can be, may give up entirely and return to overeating. Others may decide to accept themselves at their current weight and try to boost their fitness and overall health rather than changing the number on the scale.

For me, understanding the science of weight loss has helped make sense of my own struggles to lose weight, as well as my mother’s endless cycle of dieting, weight gain and despair. I wish she were still here so I could persuade her to finally forgive herself for her dieting failures. While I do, ultimately, blame myself for allowing my weight to get out of control, it has been somewhat liberating to learn that there are factors other than my character at work when it comes to gaining and losing weight. And even though all the evidence suggests that it’s going to be very, very difficult for me to reduce my weight permanently, I’m surprisingly optimistic. I may not be ready to fight this battle this month or even this year. But at least I know what I’m up against.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Epigenetics play a role as well. Over eating has effects on DNA methylation that is passed down to off spring.

I'll have to find the study citation...but, they did a study in scandanvia. They looked at the grand children of two generations in a village that has maintained the same way of life for the past couple decades. What they found was that the grand children of those who grew up in a time of abundance (i.e.: over ate during adolescence and puberty) had a significantly greater genetic risk of obesity than those whose grand parents grew up during lean times.

Br

anoopbal

Awards
Epigenetics play a role as well. Over eating has effects on DNA methylation that is passed down to off spring.

I'll have to find the study citation...but, they did a study in scandanvia. They looked at the grand children of two generations in a village that has maintained the same way of life for the past couple decades. What they found was that the grand children of those who grew up in a time of abundance (i.e.: over ate during adolescence and puberty) had a significantly greater genetic risk of obesity than those whose grand parents grew up during lean times.

Br
I have come across it. Another one is Diabetes in humans. The rest of the ones are n rodents. We know that there might be some epigenetic contributions in the intra-uterine environment too.

Dr.Stri8ed

Dr.Stri8ed

Awards

I lost 52 pounds and got shredded. It was all willpower, and I stay lean even in my offseason when I'm not competing.

anoopbal

Awards
Gaining weight and then losing it is not as the same as losing the same amount of weight.

Try maintaining that 52 lbs for the rest of your life, even when you are not competing. My point is the majority cannot do it. Exceptions don't change the generality.

Dr.Stri8ed

Dr.Stri8ed

Awards
Gaining weight and then losing it is not as the same as losing the same amount of weight.

Try maintaining that 52 lbs for the rest of your life, even when you are not competing. My point is the majority cannot do it. Exceptions don't change the generality.
That's a good point. Personally I'm just insensitive, I was that chubby kid and ppl look at me now and can't believe I was ever fat. I honestly just feel its all laziness now besides the rare few that have some genetic disorder.

anoopbal

Awards
Would probably change the field of psycholgy: Fat people are lazy and incapable of changing behaviors and habits.

It is different being 10-15 lbs overweight than 100-150lbs. I am just below being overweight and I have to gain around 50lbs to be obese. Not going to happen even If I I got 'free' food. I have trouble even maintaining the body weight I have. My point is that people who are 100-250 lbs overweight didn't get there by accident or laziness. If they are tryng to lose 100lbs, it s the same as me or you losing 100lbs and keepnt it off.

Mind you, we know from twin studies under controlled conditions that people gain totally different weights for the same calorie intake and calori expenditure, as far 2-11lbs. The same goes for losing weight.

Dr.Stri8ed

Dr.Stri8ed

Awards
Then that just means they gotta eat less and train harder. Its a daily grind, but u do it only if it means enough to u.

jonesBones40

jonesBones40

Awards
Then that just means they gotta eat less and train harder. Its a daily grind, but u do it only if it means enough to u.
Truer words have not been spoken, I think it's all about a mind state. The mind is a very powerful thing. If you wanna have something the first step is believing

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I'm sorry. Genetics may play a factor, but this is horseshet to the 20th degree. As everyone is practically saying in complete unanimity, if you want to lose weight, you'll lose weight.

Over 66% of American's didn't spontaneously mutate their genes and become obese over a generation, sorry. Nor is this true in any other setting. South pacific islanders are highly reputable for being overweight. Have you seen what they eat? Case and point.

Hey, maybe there are some people who have all the forces of nature set against them regarding losing weight. I can tell you probably how many people that is: about the same number as the number of midgets/short people/vertically challenged, whatever the PC term is for them. Very, very, very small. Apparently a user here is currently one (though I dont know if he's obese/morbidly obese per se). Again, supremely rare.

Your argument is that the contribution of genes to obesity is substantial to the point actually of being a decisive factor in their body composition. I am saying, despite whatever laughable data you can conjure (controlled studies of twins and their eating habits? oh, you mean parents filling out surveys to ballpark their kids food intake in front of them and what they do hour to hour? LOL), reality shows us it's not true. You are very knowledgeable, anoop, but your conclusion seems ridiculous, and we just can't swallow this pill.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Very good thread.
I think a lot of people pin pointed the factors.

Lifestyle bottom line.
People do what they want. With out great genetics eating on schedule the same lean foods, cardio, weights... It may not be easy for some, some people have different priorities, some are lazy, some simply just don't know what they are doing.

Dr.Stri8ed

Dr.Stri8ed

Awards
Truer words have not been spoken, I think it's all about a mind state. The mind is a very powerful thing. If you wanna have something the first step is believing
I know agree, I stated this earlier too. When I'm really focused in a cut, it seems like the fat just melts off, and when I bulk my body just loves growing. Of course my diet is spot on though.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know agree, I stated this earlier too. When I'm really focused in a cut, it seems like the fat just melts off, and when I bulk my body just loves growing. Of course my diet is spot on though.
Yes, but you are also trained. Through your training (your hard work) you have stimulated a whole response of cellular adaptations that allows you to burn fat or build muscle at a greater rate.

Imagine there are two large houses (the body) with an equal amount of rooms (lean tissue) and a gigantic wood pile outside (fat tissue).

Via training, you have put more furnaces in each room (mitochondria to burn the wood) and have more workers (fat mobilzing and burning enzymes) to carry wood into these furnaces.

Therefore, dropping fat will be easier for someone who is a consistent exerciser.

We can take this analogy a step further, and imagine who genetics will determine how many furnaces are in each room, how efficiently we can build these furnaces, and how fast we can carry wood to them.

Its a complicated scenario. I am not making excuses for obese or over weight people, but its also not as simple as "suck it up, exercise and eat less". Unfortunately, the choices we make in life, and worse yet, the choices are parents made in their lives before our conception and then in our child hood also play a large role in the obesity epidemic.

Further, we can discuss the socioeconomic factors and the decisions of our wise leaders who think PE has little value in school.

Br

Dr.Stri8ed

Dr.Stri8ed

Awards
Yes, but you are also trained. Through your training (your hard work) you have stimulated a whole response of cellular adaptations that allows you to burn fat or build muscle at a greater rate.

Imagine there are two large houses (the body) with an equal amount of rooms (lean tissue) and a gigantic wood pile outside (fat tissue).

Via training, you have put more furnaces in each room (mitochondria to burn the wood) and have more workers (fat mobilzing and burning enzymes) to carry wood into these furnaces.

Therefore, dropping fat will be easier for someone who is a consistent exerciser.

We can take this analogy a step further, and imagine who genetics will determine how many furnaces are in each room, how efficiently we can build these furnaces, and how fast we can carry wood to them.

Its a complicated scenario. I am not making excuses for obese or over weight people, but its also not as simple as "suck it up, exercise and eat less". Unfortunately, the choices we make in life, and worse yet, the choices are parents made in their lives before our conception and then in our child hood also play a large role in the obesity epidemic.

Further, we can discuss the socioeconomic factors and the decisions of our wise leaders who think PE has little value in school.

Br
Great analogy bro. Like u said your environment plays a big role too, its hard to diet if your whole family eats poorly and your eating habits have been poor too.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Yes it's hard but thats no excuse. I'm sure for some it's harder than others but thats life

jared767

Awards
I believe that one of the reasons about being obese is genetic. I've seen a family of 5 and the only one among them who's not obese is the father. They don't eat too much as you would guess of any overweight. I sometimes eat more than they do, but I don't weigh like they do.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
No doubt genetics play a role but people can overcome genetics to a degree. I'm sure genetics make it more difficult for some but that doesn't mean it's impossible

Dr.Stri8ed

Dr.Stri8ed

Awards
Yes it's hard but thats no excuse. I'm sure for some it's harder than others but thats life
Exactly that's life. Some will have it harder than others, but they can b successful in losing weight. I'm not saying they have to look like an athlete, but they can have a healthy weight. I totally believe u can keep weight off if u maintain a good diet and exercise regularly. A prime example is the show on MTV "I Used To Be Fat", all of those busted their ass and lost crazy amounts of weight.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Exactly that's life. Some will have it harder than others, but they can b successful in losing weight. I'm not saying they have to look like an athlete, but they can have a healthy weight. I totally believe u can keep weight off if u maintain a good diet and exercise regularly. A prime example is the show on MTV "I Used To Be Fat", all of those busted their ass and lost crazy amounts of weight.
Good, and yet, horribly unhealthy example. I get extremely angry watching those episodes (and the only reason I'm watching them is because my wife is addicted to reality TV). In any case, losing 100 pounds in 3 months is not healthy, especially not in a developing teenager. I wonder how many girls get amenorreah due to it. Second, the training methods are just ill advised. There is no method - its some spike-haired douche bag throwing together whatever random exercises and yelling cliches so he can to cause exercise induced pain. I cringe when I watch the exercise form. There is no reason a 300 pound out of shape anyone should be doing high intensity plyometrics.

It would be interesting to see a 3 or 5 year follow up to see how many have kept the weight off.

Br

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Br
Very true. Also good analogy.

Dr.Stri8ed

Dr.Stri8ed

Awards
Good, and yet, horribly unhealthy example. I get extremely angry watching those episodes (and the only reason I'm watching them is because my wife is addicted to reality TV). In any case, losing 100 pounds in 3 months is not healthy, especially not in a developing teenager. I wonder how many girls get amenorreah due to it. Second, the training methods are just ill advised. There is no method - its some spike-haired douche bag throwing together whatever random exercises and yelling cliches so he can to cause exercise induced pain. I cringe when I watch the exercise form. There is no reason a 300 pound out of shape anyone should be doing high intensity plyometrics.

It would be interesting to see a 3 or 5 year follow up to see how many have kept the weight off.

Br
That's also a great point. Its unhealthy but they did it. Although yes losing that much weight should b done in more like a year or longer. Lol that spiked hair guy is funny with some of the sh*t he says. I agree they should b trained differently though.

anoopbal

Awards
Obesity s all about calories in and out. Obese people are fat because thy eat too much and do less activity. Everyone knows that. The question is why are these people doing it in the first place? Or why are 70% of the unobese not doing the same? Is it lack of will power or laziness when both have access to the SAME toxic environment? Why is that?

If it is not biology then it should be lack of will power or laziness. If that's the case, we have a bigger issue here. Obese people are lazy and are incapable of changing habits and behaviors. This is so earth shattering discovery that is worth the nobel prize int he field of psychology.

And you just cannot compare your 10-15 lb loss or gain maintained for a few months and extrapolate it someone being 100-150lbs for the whole life. I have to put on 50llbs to be obese. I cannot do it even I have access to free food. And it's almost impossible to maintain it for the rest of my life! Is it possible, sure but not probable.

And there are obvious genetic influence on how much you gain with the same amount of calories. An obese person might gain a lot more than what we might gain for the same amount of calories. The same for losing. There controlled studies which have shown this.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Obesity s all about calories in and out. Obese people are fat because thy eat too much and do less activity. Everyone knows that. The question is why are these people doing it in the first place? Or why are 70% of the unobese not doing the same? Is it lack of will power or laziness when both have access to the SAME toxic environment? Why is that?

If it is not biology then it should be lack of will power or laziness. If that's the case, we have a bigger issue here. Obese people are lazy and are incapable of changing habits and behaviors. This is so earth shattering discovery that is worth the nobel prize int he field of psychology.

And you just cannot compare your 10-15 lb loss or gain maintained for a few months and extrapolate it someone being 100-150lbs for the whole life. I have to put on 50llbs to be obese. I cannot do it even I have access to free food. And it's almost impossible to maintain it for the rest of my life! Is it possible, sure but not probable.

And there are obvious genetic influence on how much you gain with the same amount of calories. An obese person might gain a lot more than what we might gain for the same amount of calories. The same for losing. There controlled studies which have shown this.
What about people that are chubby/pudgy?

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards

Depression, medicines, hormones in food, fake sugar which makes people crave food.

Depression is the only thing that could be remotely linked to genetics and even then they've shown not always genetics that trigger someone having depression.

anoopbal

Awards
Depression, medicines, hormones in food, fake sugar which makes people crave food.
Great! So lean people are obviously immune to depression, hormones in food and fake sugar.

anoopbal

Awards
What about people that are chubby/pudgy?
What about them? That is another example of the wide variety of fatness in the same environment.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
Great! So lean people are obviously immune to depression, hormones in food and fake sugar.
No, but it comes down to the point.. Not everything is black and white how things effect them. Just like supplements not everything effects people the same way. The body and especially the brain is so radial and different that no matter what a study or results say about it, it'll never be 100% conclusive. You asked why some people have problems in the same environment. I was pointing out even more variables to that environment that go above and beyond genetics. Good job trying to shoe horn more excuses for people to blame on their parents. I guess now we can blame if we are fat or not on them as well. Screw having to be responsible for what we do to our bodies, it's genetics faults why even try! Lets just place all our blame on others and take no responsibility for what we put in our bodies or do with our bodies.

anoopbal

Awards
Good job trying to shoe horn more excuses for people to blame on their parents. I guess now we can blame if we are fat or not on them as well. Screw having to be responsible for what we do to our bodies, it's genetics faults why even try! Lets just place all our blame on others and take no responsibility for what we put in our bodies or do with our bodies.
The reply for this is already posted: I am posting it again

"So where does that leave a person who wants to lose a sizable amount of weight? Weight-loss scientists say they believe that once more people understand the genetic and biological challenges of keeping weight off, doctors and patients will approach weight loss more realistically and more compassionately. At the very least, the science may compel people who are already overweight to work harder to make sure they don’t put on additional pounds. Some people, upon learning how hard permanent weight loss can be, may give up entirely and return to overeating. Others may decide to accept themselves at their current weight and try to boost their fitness and overall health rather than changing the number on the scale.

For me, understanding the science of weight loss has helped make sense of my own struggles to lose weight, as well as my mother’s endless cycle of dieting, weight gain and despair. I wish she were still here so I could persuade her to finally forgive herself for her dieting failures. While I do, ultimately, blame myself for allowing my weight to get out of control, it has been somewhat liberating to learn that there are factors other than my character at work when it comes to gaining and losing weight. And even though all the evidence suggests that it’s going to be very, very difficult for me to reduce my weight permanently, I’m surprisingly optimistic. I may not be ready to fight this battle this month or even this year. But at least I know what I’m up against.

Scot_Anderson

Scot_Anderson

Awards
Eating healthy and working out to feel better takes will power and is a lifestyle, not a one, two, or three year plan. It's a choice you make, people need to be on a routine and stick to it.

Scot_Anderson

Scot_Anderson

Awards
Well let's think about this. I consider my diet to be more of a lifestyle, a healthy lifestyle. Eating 6-7 times a day on a high protein diet is really the only way to shred and store food accordingly. Oatmeal, applesauce, brown rice, veggies, eggs, cottage cheese, natural fruit, protein shakes, protein bars/snack bars, chicken, fish, beef once in awhile, good whole wheats, a good multi-vitamin have a cheat day once in awhile cut out sugar as much as possible. Try to workout high stamina 45 minutes per day. You will be shocked how much better you feel.

Dr.Stri8ed

Dr.Stri8ed

Awards
Eating healthy and working out to feel better takes will power and is a lifestyle, not a one, two, or three year plan. It's a choice you make, people need to be on a routine and stick to it.
Correct. And if they have to work harder when they get older to keep the weight off, then so b it. If u want it bad enough, you'll get it.

CaseyW

CaseyW

Awards
I disagree with these. All of these existed in the 20's 30's 40's 50's 60's but obestity wasn't a fraction of the problem it is today. It wasn't till modern day that so many people started getting fat. The big difference is fast food. These easy to grab and go meals have recked peoples bodytypes. In and of themseleves they are not terrible for a treat now and then, but too many people eat at least 1 FF meal a day if not all of them. I read about some small island or something where everyone was thin and they introduced fast food and now it's an obesity epedimic.

It's people substituting crap for meals that is the problem, people have been drinking alcohol and eating candy and cookies and cakes for centuries.

I can pin it to several things.

Sugar
Alcohol
Genetics
Laziness

Just my .02c

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
I disagree with these. All of these existed in the 20's 30's 40's 50's 60's but obestity wasn't a fraction of the problem it is today. It wasn't till modern day that so many people started getting fat. The big difference is fast food. These easy to grab and go meals have recked peoples bodytypes. In and of themseleves they are not terrible for a treat now and then, but too many people eat at least 1 FF meal a day if not all of them. I read about some small island or something where everyone was thin and they introduced fast food and now it's an obesity epedimic.

It's people substituting crap for meals that is the problem, people have been drinking alcohol and eating candy and cookies and cakes for centuries.
Fast food and lets face it.. Most of us work behind a desk now. Laboring jobs are fewer today then in the past.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I still constribute some to epigenetics.

Next, the total kcal consumption by children has only increased by 100 kcal/week between now and the 70's. If activity stayed the same, this is barely enough to contribute 1.5 pounds a year gain. Obviously, either the type of food (HFCS TSA, etc.) or the reduction in activity (internet and social media), or a combo of both heavily contributed toward the childhood epidemic.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards

Next, the total kcal consumption by children has only increased by 100 kcal/week between now and the 70's. If activity stayed the same, this is barely enough to contribute 1.5 pounds a year gain. Obviously, either the type of food (HFCS TSA, etc.) or the reduction in activity (internet and social media), or a combo of both heavily contributed toward the childhood epidemic.
Then:
Riding bikes, playing in the street, hitting each other with sticks..

Now:
Riding bikes in a video game, playing street fighting in a video game, hitting each other with sticks in a video game..

:-D

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
The people on this website are mostly exceptional because we constantly think about our bodies and we think about what we eat and how much we need, etc. The general public does not think about their daily calories or obsess about lifting weights and looking a certain way. The general public eats based on taste, convenience, hunger, etc. It depends what type of person you are and how determined you are. There are so many factors that go into obesity. It is surely not all about being lazy.. it also has to do with environment, genetics, sometimes even knowledge. Though knowledge does not dictate behavior but that is a separate issue all together. The point that I am trying to make is that the general public is not comprised of athletes/bodybuilders and they do not think like we do or have the same type of motivation.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established

I agree with what you are saying and I think the biggest factor over even the food choices made is physical inactivity. I personally used to play sports for around 4 hours a day when I was in middle school and a teenager. I know a lot of children now that just sit on their butts at home eat potato chips and play video games all day. Canceling recess in schools is not helping the issue.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
The people on this website are mostly exceptional because we constantly think about our bodies and we think about what we eat and how much we need, etc. The general public does not think about their daily calories or obsess about lifting weights and looking a certain way. The general public eats based on taste, convenience, hunger, etc. It depends what type of person you are and how determined you are. There are so many factors that go into obesity. It is surely not all about being lazy.. it also has to do with environment, genetics, sometimes even knowledge. Though knowledge does not dictate behavior but that is a separate issue all together. The point that I am trying to make is that the general public is not comprised of athletes/bodybuilders and they do not think like we do or have the same type of motivation.
Agreed. I think I can state this best, as I am probably the least of a bodybuilder on this site (currently, I'm working on it) I started at 382 pounds, been working my tail off to get to were I am. I can say this is a different type of motivation that I did not have before. It just started one day and I haven't looked back. It's a completely different mentality then I used to have.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Agreed as well....