The Cause of Obesity

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141053
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    0.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Stri8ed View Post
    Well put bro. I totally agree, your metabolism can't doom u to b obese, no matter what effort u put forth to reverse being obese.
    Yes. I will add to my last statement though that genetics are important to see where your weak points are to come up with an appropriate plan specific to the individual to keep one healthy. I feel that may have not been highlighted well.

  2. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    Yes. I will add to my last statement though that genetics are important to see where your weak points are to come up with an appropriate plan specific to the individual to keep one healthy. I feel that may have not been highlighted well.
    No I totally agree bro. Everyone is different so they need diets to suit them individually.
  3. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141053
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    0.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Haha while watching this (the actual DVD) I though of this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOxoZ3exM_Q

    M
    in 2:40 it's pretty good, kind of prefaces a little bit about where he's coming from when he's about to talk about eating; but around 3:33 he starts talking about feeding habits of kids. Pretty funny
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    "Mom its salty, it hurts". Lmao
  5. New Member
    anoopbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    13092
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    53.31%

    Here s the second part: The Cause of Obesity - Part 2
  6. New Member
    Monsta65's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  325 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    42578
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    57.69%

    Ive been obese and I really think alot of it has to deal with how I ate growing up and the crazy thing is, I was an athlete I played all sports in high school and played college football at a division 2 school and so i did alot of hard work but had a hard time taking the weight off, So i really do believe that it has alot to do with how you were raised and kept that eating habit, now im slowly losing the weight but changed my eating habit
  7. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Monsta65
    Ive been obese and I really think alot of it has to deal with how I ate growing up and the crazy thing is, I was an athlete I played all sports in high school and played college football at a division 2 school and so i did alot of hard work but had a hard time taking the weight off, So i really do believe that it has alot to do with how you were raised and kept that eating habit, now im slowly losing the weight but changed my eating habit
    True good example bro.
  8. New Member
    anoopbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    13092
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    53.31%

    Ive been obese and I really think alot of it has to deal with how I ate growing up and the crazy thing is, I was an athlete I played all sports in high school and played college football at a division 2 school and so i did alot of hard work but had a hard time taking the weight off, So i really do believe that it has alot to do with how you were raised and kept that eating habit, now im slowly losing the weight but changed my eating habit
    The research says otherwise though. I think nobody is questioning the losing part. The question is how much can you lose and keep it off and not go ocd to maintain it. It seems like it is very less 5-7% body weight.

    It seems like people who are predisposed to obesity, seems to put on a lot of weight than normal people do. Is this because of hunger or the metabolism or both?

    And we usually only hear the tales of success. We don't hear people bragging about their failures. And that's the problem with anecdotes. Negatives hits get missed or don't get counted. In medicine, they say, "dead man never tell any tales".
  9. New Member
    Monsta65's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  325 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    42578
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    57.69%

    O yea i see what you are saying about it, I was just going off of as how i was obese and things that I did to over come because if you see my family we are all pretty big but I get what you are saying research there are a bunch of things on it
  10. New Member
    anoopbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    13092
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    53.31%

    In this last part, I will be replying to some of the most common questions and comments people had about the first two articles.

    The Cause of Obesity - Part 3
  11. New Member
    robinthomson's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    52
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    40%

    Very informative article
  12. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    71175
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    51.03%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by anoopbal View Post
    In all seriousness, try losing 60-100 lbs and keeping it off for atleast 10 years. It is easy to say it is all about will power. And it is true that a minority can do it.

    People who always say obesity is lack of will power and such are the ones who are born lean.

    There is no way to explain why there are people who are 150lbs AND 350lbs in the very same obsegenic environment!
    Hey, I weighted 250lbs when I was 16, not much muscle; sitting pretty now at 220 with a MUCH lower BF%. It is very well possible. I struggle with it EVERYDAY, it sucks, I am HIGHLY suitable to gain weight at any time and it is hard for me to ever have a full on six pack, but I can still look "My" personal best. After I lost all my weight I went all the way down to 155lbs, so yeah, 95lb lost by the age of 17, and after that everything has been a bulk process.

    The problem is, you don't have to allow yourself to get to be 60 - 100 lbs overweight, THAT is the problem. If you look in the mirror and you are 20lbs overweight, stop yourself right there and do something about it, don't wait until the extreme before doing something to get it right. I agree, not everyone will have my willpower to lose 95 and keep it off, but anyone should have enough willpower to see themselves 10 - 20lbs overweight and do something about it right then and there. That's what happens to me now, if I start to slack and see I've put on lbs, I get my ass to the gym and work my ass off to get those extra ones out of the system before they become unmanageable.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  13. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55

    Hey, I weighted 250lbs when I was 16, not much muscle; sitting pretty now at 220 with a MUCH lower BF%. It is very well possible. I struggle with it EVERYDAY, it sucks, I am HIGHLY suitable to gain weight at any time and it is hard for me to ever have a full on six pack, but I can still look "My" personal best. After I lost all my weight I went all the way down to 155lbs, so yeah, 95lb lost by the age of 17, and after that everything has been a bulk process.

    The problem is, you don't have to allow yourself to get to be 60 - 100 lbs overweight, THAT is the problem. If you look in the mirror and you are 20lbs overweight, stop yourself right there and do something about it, don't wait until the extreme before doing something to get it right. I agree, not everyone will have my willpower to lose 95 and keep it off, but anyone should have enough willpower to see themselves 10 - 20lbs overweight and do something about it right then and there. That's what happens to me now, if I start to slack and see I've put on lbs, I get my ass to the gym and work my ass off to get those extra ones out of the system before they become unmanageable.
    Exactly bro its about management. I admire your willpower too, mad props bro. We work our asses off everyday cuz we have to, I wouldn't have it any other way.
  14. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    71175
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    51.03%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Post


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Stri8ed View Post
    Exactly bro its about management. I admire your willpower too, mad props bro. We work our asses off everyday cuz we have to, I wouldn't have it any other way.
    True dat, hell, if it was easy we would see everyone looking like God damn Ryan Reynolds out there and more than half of the population would be in bodybuilding!
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  15. Senior Member
    D2footballjrc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  254 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,735
    Rep Power
    647834
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    0.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by anoopbal View Post
    The research says otherwise though. I think nobody is questioning the losing part. The question is how much can you lose and keep it off and not go ocd to maintain it. It seems like it is very less 5-7% body weight.

    It seems like people who are predisposed to obesity, seems to put on a lot of weight than normal people do. Is this because of hunger or the metabolism or both?

    And we usually only hear the tales of success. We don't hear people bragging about their failures. And that's the problem with anecdotes. Negatives hits get missed or don't get counted. In medicine, they say, "dead man never tell any tales".
    One question I have is, if it's just hereditary why is it foreign exchange students put on weight when coming over to America. I was a Senate member and helped out with the foreign exchange students in college and that was always the biggest complaint would be how they would gain 20-30 pounds pretty fast in the first year or so coming to America. A friend of mine from South Korea said as soon as she moved back about a year later it was all gone.
    **G D I** --Bruce the Destroyer--
  16. Senior Member
    D2footballjrc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  254 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,735
    Rep Power
    647834
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    0.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Another thing I was thinking about. I have a heart rate monitor and I decided to wear it at different things. I work in front of a computer now, like more and more people are doing now. Ex. and kids are on the computer, playing video games, and etc.. My resting heart rate is in the 70's to low 80's. Now if I'm moving around just walking around doing things my heart rate is usually mid 90's to like 100-103. At 1 hour at around 70-80 BPM on my HRM (Polar FT80) you'll burn around 100 calories an hour at my stats, at mid 90's - 100-103 by moving around like say I was doing manual labor like people used to do. I'd burn around 180 calories an hour at my stats per the Heart Rate monitor. So to try and say that the fact that by our society not doing less isn't having a factor would be a gross understatement. At 8 hours you'd burn an extra 640 calories a day. That is a big number.

    640 * 5 days a week = 3200 calories or almost the est amount of calories it takes to burn a pound of fat.
    **G D I** --Bruce the Destroyer--
  17. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by D2footballjrc

    One question I have is, if it's just hereditary why is it foreign exchange students put on weight when coming over to America. I was a Senate member and helped out with the foreign exchange students in college and that was always the biggest complaint would be how they would gain 20-30 pounds pretty fast in the first year or so coming to America. A friend of mine from South Korea said as soon as she moved back about a year later it was all gone.
    Damn this is a good ass point bro, mad reps if I was on a computer.
  18. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by D2footballjrc
    Another thing I was thinking about. I have a heart rate monitor and I decided to wear it at different things. I work in front of a computer now, like more and more people are doing now. Ex. and kids are on the computer, playing video games, and etc.. My resting heart rate is in the 70's to low 80's. Now if I'm moving around just walking around doing things my heart rate is usually mid 90's to like 100-103. At 1 hour at around 70-80 BPM on my HRM (Polar FT80) you'll burn around 100 calories an hour at my stats, at mid 90's - 100-103 by moving around like say I was doing manual labor like people used to do. I'd burn around 180 calories an hour at my stats per the Heart Rate monitor. So to try and say that the fact that by our society not doing less isn't having a factor would be a gross understatement. At 8 hours you'd burn an extra 640 calories a day. That is a big number.

    640 * 5 days a week = 3200 calories or almost the est amount of calories it takes to burn a pound of fat.
    And another awesome point. Imagine that's almost a pound of fat lost a week, which would turn into major fat lost in a year.
  19. New Member
    Jordinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    259
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    58.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Stri8ed View Post
    That's a good point. Personally I'm just insensitive, I was that chubby kid and ppl look at me now and can't believe I was ever fat. I honestly just feel its all laziness now besides the rare few that have some genetic disorder.
    Did you have anyone close to you that taught you about exercise and nutrition at one point during your life or did you pick it up all on your own?

    I was always an overweight kid growing up as well. Thankfully my Dad taught me about weightlifting and to some extent healthy eating (though later I really learned what healthy eating was). Without him being there I don't know if my losing weight would've been as easy. I feel a lot of obese people don't have any background in exercise or diet and that's a big first hurdle.
  20. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordinator

    Did you have anyone close to you that taught you about exercise and nutrition at one point during your life or did you pick it up all on your own?

    I was always an overweight kid growing up as well. Thankfully my Dad taught me about weightlifting and to some extent healthy eating (though later I really learned what healthy eating was). Without him being there I don't know if my losing weight would've been as easy. I feel a lot of obese people don't have any background in exercise or diet and that's a big first hurdle.
    My dad taught me weightlifting but I learned dieting all on my own, I was overweight too growing up.
  21. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141053
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    0.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I was pretty overweight too when I was younger, but it was actually due to a medical condition that doesn't have much to do with metabolism - I was just sick and bedridden most of my adolescence. Fortunately I didn't end up a scrawny 5'2" kid ... still mystifies doctors, lol.
  22. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    71175
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    51.03%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I was having a discussion to with a friend the other day;

    One of the big reasons for the obesity in America can be attributed to... wait for it, cause it will be weird... High School.

    You see, in other countries, there is no such thing as "High School sports". Really. Gym class is once a week maybe and it consists of a huge joke. Everything is done outside school. So if you're playing soccer with your buddies, you're doing it on your own time. So you actually get used to it. High School sports, in a vast majority, require the actual High School and it isn't always an entertainment form rather than a way to either be popular or fill extra-curricular activities. So what ends up happening is, when you're in High School you're forced to exercise, which means you can slack a bit on your eating and still not gain weight.

    Problem arises when you are out of high school, and go to college or the real world; the dietary habits don't usually change, but the caloric expenditure does, which in turns makes you gain a crap load of lbs because you can no longer get away with it. In other countries, the caloric expenditure remains, since you're doing it on your leisure time anyways and your diet habits have been the same as they were before, not to mention you are not often moving away to live in a different city and away from your parents, your diet doesn't all of a sudden become your own worries, you're still in a lot of cases under your parents roof, eating what they set you up for.

    Lastly, lets not forget weather; US is cold in a good portion, not to mention most of it is inland country. No beaches, sometimes no lakes either. No public beach for people to go to where they have to not wear many clothes. In tropical places where you are most likely to be seen without a shirt, people have extra motivation to not look awful when they take their shirts off. In the US, where 60% of the country has winter 6 - 8 months of the year, you can get away with extra lbs by wearing clothes, which can obviously escalate.

    Anyways, this was just a topic paper I once wrote and I figured I would share some of its main ideas. Feel free to chime in.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  23. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Damn good point and post bro.
  24. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    917
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    42.54%

    People IMO are obese for only to reasons.

    1) igrorance
    2) laziness

    People ignoar the fact that today's foods are not what we are ment to be eating. Microwave dinners filled with sodium n fat, diet sodas filled with toxins, dinner plates filled with an 10 oz stake fries n little to no greens. People either choose to ignore or really just don't kno what an healthy diet is. These foods make people lazy, which doesn't help the already depressed mind set.

    You can try to blame it on genetics n whole bunch other things but that's not the cause of obesity. What's the cause of obesity .. your diet plain b simple.
  25. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    71175
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    51.03%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    People IMO are obese for only to reasons.

    1) igrorance
    2) laziness

    People ignoar the fact that today's foods are not what we are ment to be eating. Microwave dinners filled with sodium n fat, diet sodas filled with toxins, dinner plates filled with an 10 oz stake fries n little to no greens. People either choose to ignore or really just don't kno what an healthy diet is. These foods make people lazy, which doesn't help the already depressed mind set.

    You can try to blame it on genetics n whole bunch other things but that's not the cause of obesity. What's the cause of obesity .. your diet plain b simple.
    That can also be brought up back to my original point;

    A kid who leaves High School and moves to college; he probably never cooked for himself a day in his life, always ate what his parents made. He moves away to college and is now offered with a slew of junk cafeteria food during his first year. Second year, if he still doesn't know how to cook, he has to resort to the frozen food; healthy frozen food is not cheap, college kids are on a budget, you get fatter. Once you go down the path, you are screwed because the willpower to go back to your good shape starts becoming darker and darker.

    It is a matter of genetics too, yes, you will see those who can eat whatever the hell they want and still be ok, but those that make the transition and are now on their own but don't have the good genetics are the ones who suffer. I've seen SO MANY extremely attractive girls or extremely fit guys who just turn into sh!t during college it's not even funny; it's a new reality, one to which they are not used to, and it's hard to change those habits.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  26. New Member
    owlicks's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    14112
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    8.52%

    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that people are obese because they eat more calories than they burn.

    I know some of you may disagree with this far-fetched idea, but bear with me. Genetics might affect your BMR. Medication may affect your BMR. Your activity level may affect the amount of calories you're burning per day, so can any number of factors. None of these things change the fact that if one knows his or her BMR, accurately tracks calories, and eats at a slight deficit, he or she will lose weight.

    Nobel prize please?
  27. New Member
    zebediah23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%

    I'm a 33 year-old male. I've a;ways been overweight. While genetics probably play a role, that is no excuse. I know people who eat more than me and are less active and can't gain weight. Who cares? My choices are simple. 1)Eat what I want to, when I want to, & exercise whyen I want to or not at all. 2) Accept that if I want to be healthy and weigh less it requires a strict regimen of diet and exercise. Pretty damn simple. At 6'2, I had been over 300lbs for at least 5 years. I got tired of it, tired of not being able to play with my daughter without getting winded, tired of constant back & knee pain, tired of having trouble finding clothes that fit. So I got off my dead ass & took some action. On Oct 1, 2011 I weighed 325lbs and was probably 35 or 40% bf. Today, March 8,2012, I weigh 240lbs and Im about 25% bf. My advice, if anyone cares, is QUIT BITCHIN & WHININ about things you can't control(i.e genetics, metabolism, upbringing, environment) & DO SOMETHING about to things you can (diet, exercise)
  28. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by owlicks
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that people are obese because they eat more calories than they burn.

    I know some of you may disagree with this far-fetched idea, but bear with me. Genetics might affect your BMR. Medication may affect your BMR. Your activity level may affect the amount of calories you're burning per day, so can any number of factors. None of these things change the fact that if one knows his or her BMR, accurately tracks calories, and eats at a slight deficit, he or she will lose weight.

    Nobel prize please?
    I'm logging on my computer now to give u reps bro. Your 100 percent correct. If u know your BMR and eat at a calorie deficit u will lose weight no matter what. I know my BMR and as a result I can do whatever I want with my weight.
  29. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by zebediah23
    I'm a 33 year-old male. I've a;ways been overweight. While genetics probably play a role, that is no excuse. I know people who eat more than me and are less active and can't gain weight. Who cares? My choices are simple. 1)Eat what I want to, when I want to, & exercise whyen I want to or not at all. 2) Accept that if I want to be healthy and weigh less it requires a strict regimen of diet and exercise. Pretty damn simple. At 6'2, I had been over 300lbs for at least 5 years. I got tired of it, tired of not being able to play with my daughter without getting winded, tired of constant back & knee pain, tired of having trouble finding clothes that fit. So I got off my dead ass & took some action. On Oct 1, 2011 I weighed 325lbs and was probably 35 or 40% bf. Today, March 8,2012, I weigh 240lbs and Im about 25% bf. My advice, if anyone cares, is QUIT BITCHIN & WHININ about things you can't control(i.e genetics, metabolism, upbringing, environment) & DO SOMETHING about to things you can (diet, exercise)
    Yessir. Your getting mad reps too bro.
  30. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55

    That can also be brought up back to my original point;

    A kid who leaves High School and moves to college; he probably never cooked for himself a day in his life, always ate what his parents made. He moves away to college and is now offered with a slew of junk cafeteria food during his first year. Second year, if he still doesn't know how to cook, he has to resort to the frozen food; healthy frozen food is not cheap, college kids are on a budget, you get fatter. Once you go down the path, you are screwed because the willpower to go back to your good shape starts becoming darker and darker.

    It is a matter of genetics too, yes, you will see those who can eat whatever the hell they want and still be ok, but those that make the transition and are now on their own but don't have the good genetics are the ones who suffer. I've seen SO MANY extremely attractive girls or extremely fit guys who just turn into sh!t during college it's not even funny; it's a new reality, one to which they are not used to, and it's hard to change those habits.
    Reps for u.
  31. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55

    That can also be brought up back to my original point;

    A kid who leaves High School and moves to college; he probably never cooked for himself a day in his life, always ate what his parents made. He moves away to college and is now offered with a slew of junk cafeteria food during his first year. Second year, if he still doesn't know how to cook, he has to resort to the frozen food; healthy frozen food is not cheap, college kids are on a budget, you get fatter. Once you go down the path, you are screwed because the willpower to go back to your good shape starts becoming darker and darker.

    It is a matter of genetics too, yes, you will see those who can eat whatever the hell they want and still be ok, but those that make the transition and are now on their own but don't have the good genetics are the ones who suffer. I've seen SO MANY extremely attractive girls or extremely fit guys who just turn into sh!t during college it's not even funny; it's a new reality, one to which they are not used to, and it's hard to change those habits.
    Reps for u.
  32. New Member
    PowerliftNY's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  268 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    388
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    11.71%

    I agree with everyone who says its all factors of life style from every muscle you move during the day, to every thing you put in your mouth, your thoughts, your motivation, your sleep paterns, your stress levels, the things that effect your life and i would put last on the list genetics even for people that are genticly challenged. You look at the guys doing wheel chair bodybuilding if they can acomplish that people can get past their genticis!
  33. New Member
    lukedubas's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    122
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    4.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by D2footballjrc View Post
    What about us that started out lean, drank too much beer, got lazy, and was on a heavy medical steroid like prednisone for a long time? There is way too many factors, I think they all have some part to play though.

    Genetics
    Life Style
    Motivation
    Food Choices
    Stress
    Medical
    ...etc..etc.

    Don't think you can pin it on any one thing.
    Definitely agree with this..
  34. Senior Member
    D2footballjrc's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  254 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,735
    Rep Power
    647834
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    0.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Interesting, just saw on the news about genetics and weight. A study just came out from I think it was Harvard that just 1 hour of exercise a week negates over 30% of your genetics when it comes to your weight. That is being a big cause of obesity because they said on average we are much less active now then we used to be.
    **G D I** --Bruce the Destroyer--
  35. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by D2footballjrc
    Interesting, just saw on the news about genetics and weight. A study just came out from I think it was Harvard that just 1 hour of exercise a week negates over 30% of your genetics when it comes to your weight. That is being a big cause of obesity because they said on average we are much less active now then we used to be.
    Yeah that's good sh*t bro.
  36. Professional Member
    pyrobatt's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,487
    Rep Power
    1214966
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    18.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    A good example of the cause of obesity is our school systems. Gym classes/ teachers dont really teach the kids the importance of health. They preach on eating healthy and being active and they turn around and feed the kids pizza, hamburgers and jello as the fruit group. They also shed light on smoking by showing graphic.pictures of black lungs and cancer. They dont have anything like that to my knowlege about the risk obesity has.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  37. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532240
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    47.82%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I think in most (not all) cases, that the genetics card is a cop out. It's not about "can't", and more about "won't" when it comes to losing weight. People in general are fully ignorant when it comes to nutrition, and typically choose the convenient route when it comes to eating.

    I'm 100% endomorph, and my genetic predisposition is to retain fat. I know this, so that means I have to work a little bit harder in the gym and be a little more careful when making nutritional choices. The upside is that I can add muscle mass very easily, so it's not a negative thing in my opinion.

    Learn how to live and more often than not you won't be fat.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  38. Senior Member
    fadi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    3107
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    31.4%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
    A good example of the cause of obesity is our school systems. Gym classes/ teachers dont really teach the kids the importance of health. They preach on eating healthy and being active and they turn around and feed the kids pizza, hamburgers and jello as the fruit group. They also shed light on smoking by showing graphic.pictures of black lungs and cancer. They dont have anything like that to my knowlege about the risk obesity has.
    We keep blaming schools for everything. It is becoming as if parents are off the hook and they expect the schools to takeover the responsibility of raising the children. Schools are there to educate the kids, not to take over parents jobs.

    It is the parents fault and no one else. Chances are the parents are overweight as well, at least in majority of the cases. Parents can give kids healthy breakfast instead of cereals and sugar loaded fake juices, send them to school with healthy snacks for lunch, give them healthy meals at home for dinner. It is not like the kids coming in shape from the summer break and racking on the pounds during school time.

    Parents could enlist their children in sports on weekends, summers, or after school. They could encourage them to play basketball for example instead of playing video games.
  39. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    917
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    42.54%

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt
    A good example of the cause of obesity is our school systems. Gym classes/ teachers dont really teach the kids the importance of health. They preach on eating healthy and being active and they turn around and feed the kids pizza, hamburgers and jello as the fruit group. They also shed light on smoking by showing graphic.pictures of black lungs and cancer. They dont have anything like that to my knowlege about the risk obesity has.
    My brother was telling me they just cut out gym class in his high school. Its now an elective. School did it so they could have like 5 min longer classes to bring up average GPA. This way they hey more money. Ya.. not really :/
  40. Elite Member
    Dr.Stri8ed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    156116
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    49.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more

    My brother was telling me they just cut out gym class in his high school. Its now an elective. School did it so they could have like 5 min longer classes to bring up average GPA. This way they hey more money. Ya.. not really :/
    Wow that's just sad.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. America's Obesity Epidemic - Please Help
    By dotyfish in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
  2. The obesity epidemic
    By machinehead in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 05:58 PM
  3. obesity vaccine?
    By ironwolf727 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 08:21 PM
  4. USA Not Alone in Obesity
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 02:42 PM
  5. Obesity Crisis Goes Global
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 12:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in