The Cause of Obesity - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

The Cause of Obesity

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. New Member

Well let's think about this. I consider my diet to be more of a lifestyle, a healthy lifestyle. Eating 6-7 times a day on a high protein diet is really the only way to shred and store food accordingly. Oatmeal, applesauce, brown rice, veggies, eggs, cottage cheese, natural fruit, protein shakes, protein bars/snack bars, chicken, fish, beef once in awhile, good whole wheats, a good multi-vitamin have a cheat day once in awhile cut out sugar as much as possible. Try to workout high stamina 45 minutes per day. You will be shocked how much better you feel.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Scot_Anderson
    Eating healthy and working out to feel better takes will power and is a lifestyle, not a one, two, or three year plan. It's a choice you make, people need to be on a routine and stick to it.
    Correct. And if they have to work harder when they get older to keep the weight off, then so b it. If u want it bad enough, you'll get it.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  222 lbs.

I disagree with these. All of these existed in the 20's 30's 40's 50's 60's but obestity wasn't a fraction of the problem it is today. It wasn't till modern day that so many people started getting fat. The big difference is fast food. These easy to grab and go meals have recked peoples bodytypes. In and of themseleves they are not terrible for a treat now and then, but too many people eat at least 1 FF meal a day if not all of them. I read about some small island or something where everyone was thin and they introduced fast food and now it's an obesity epedimic.

It's people substituting crap for meals that is the problem, people have been drinking alcohol and eating candy and cookies and cakes for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukef2000 View Post
    I can pin it to several things.

Sugar
    Alcohol
    Genetics
    Laziness

Just my .02c
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  254 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
    I disagree with these. All of these existed in the 20's 30's 40's 50's 60's but obestity wasn't a fraction of the problem it is today. It wasn't till modern day that so many people started getting fat. The big difference is fast food. These easy to grab and go meals have recked peoples bodytypes. In and of themseleves they are not terrible for a treat now and then, but too many people eat at least 1 FF meal a day if not all of them. I read about some small island or something where everyone was thin and they introduced fast food and now it's an obesity epedimic.

It's people substituting crap for meals that is the problem, people have been drinking alcohol and eating candy and cookies and cakes for centuries.
    Fast food and lets face it.. Most of us work behind a desk now. Laboring jobs are fewer today then in the past.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I still constribute some to epigenetics.

Next, the total kcal consumption by children has only increased by 100 kcal/week between now and the 70's. If activity stayed the same, this is barely enough to contribute 1.5 pounds a year gain. Obviously, either the type of food (HFCS TSA, etc.) or the reduction in activity (internet and social media), or a combo of both heavily contributed toward the childhood epidemic.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  254 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

Next, the total kcal consumption by children has only increased by 100 kcal/week between now and the 70's. If activity stayed the same, this is barely enough to contribute 1.5 pounds a year gain. Obviously, either the type of food (HFCS TSA, etc.) or the reduction in activity (internet and social media), or a combo of both heavily contributed toward the childhood epidemic.
    Then:
    Riding bikes, playing in the street, hitting each other with sticks..

Now:
    Riding bikes in a video game, playing street fighting in a video game, hitting each other with sticks in a video game..

:-D
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.

The people on this website are mostly exceptional because we constantly think about our bodies and we think about what we eat and how much we need, etc. The general public does not think about their daily calories or obsess about lifting weights and looking a certain way. The general public eats based on taste, convenience, hunger, etc. It depends what type of person you are and how determined you are. There are so many factors that go into obesity. It is surely not all about being lazy.. it also has to do with environment, genetics, sometimes even knowledge. Though knowledge does not dictate behavior but that is a separate issue all together. The point that I am trying to make is that the general public is not comprised of athletes/bodybuilders and they do not think like we do or have the same type of motivation.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

I agree with what you are saying and I think the biggest factor over even the food choices made is physical inactivity. I personally used to play sports for around 4 hours a day when I was in middle school and a teenager. I know a lot of children now that just sit on their butts at home eat potato chips and play video games all day. Canceling recess in schools is not helping the issue.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  254 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdavid View Post
    The people on this website are mostly exceptional because we constantly think about our bodies and we think about what we eat and how much we need, etc. The general public does not think about their daily calories or obsess about lifting weights and looking a certain way. The general public eats based on taste, convenience, hunger, etc. It depends what type of person you are and how determined you are. There are so many factors that go into obesity. It is surely not all about being lazy.. it also has to do with environment, genetics, sometimes even knowledge. Though knowledge does not dictate behavior but that is a separate issue all together. The point that I am trying to make is that the general public is not comprised of athletes/bodybuilders and they do not think like we do or have the same type of motivation.
    Agreed. I think I can state this best, as I am probably the least of a bodybuilder on this site (currently, I'm working on it) I started at 382 pounds, been working my tail off to get to were I am. I can say this is a different type of motivation that I did not have before. It just started one day and I haven't looked back. It's a completely different mentality then I used to have.
  10. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bigdavid
    Agreed as well....
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdavid
    Yep, we all have anabolic minds.
  12. New Member

H Zir red,

If you look at the average weight gain for the last 50 years it is only around 20lbs! What we call a 33% increase in obesity prevalence in a decade is a 5-10 lbs increase!

And you have to understand where the obesity levels are increasing. The overweight category 25-30 BMI almost remain the same for the last 40 years. The changes are mainly due to the increase obesity in people over 30 BMI and over. Th obese are getting more obese it seems. So it is not that everyone is just getting obese when people say obesity epidemic!

And guess what, since 2000, the obesity prevalence is plateauing in both adults & kids. So all the predictions we made from the 1990 data were wrong!
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by anoopbal View Post
    H Zir red,

If you look at the average weight gain for the last 50 years it is only around 20lbs! What we call a 33% increase in obesity prevalence in a decade is a 5-10 lbs increase!

And you have to understand where the obesity levels are increasing. The overweight category 25-30 BMI almost remain the same for the last 40 years. The changes are mainly due to the increase obesity in people over 30 BMI and over. Th obese are getting more obese it seems. So it is not that everyone is just getting obese when people say obesity epidemic!

And guess what, since 2000, the obesity prevalence is plateauing in both adults & kids. So all the predictions we made from the 1990 data were wrong!
    I agree with everything you just said. What were the 1990 data/predictions?
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by anoopbal

H Zir red,

This is interesting, can u elaborate further bro?
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyW

Yes agreed fast food is a big problem but what do you think makes fast food so addictive?? You'd be surprised at the amount of sugar in a mcdonalds burger, and the additional sodium they add to make you buy a drink that's again full of sugar!
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukef2000

Yes agreed fast food is a big problem but what do you think makes fast food so addictive?? You'd be surprised at the amount of sugar in a mcdonalds burger, and the additional sodium they add to make you buy a drink that's again full of sugar!
    Hell yeah its ridiculous especially when u look up the nutrition facts and see for yourself.
  17. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Stri8ed View Post
    This is interesting, can u elaborate further bro?
    Hi Zirred & DR. Stri8ed,

I am writng an article soon about it. Probably the next one.

And Zirered, we were expecting the obesity trends to increase like as in 1980's and 90's until 2050. But we are seeing a slowing down or a plateau in obesity. Some say it is because of the all the health policy's and some think we have a genetic plateau. I will send you the graphs.
  18. New Member

IMHO portion control in our diets is a huge under-appreciated part of the story.

I am a firm believer that some people are destined to be thin genetically and others are not. But I can't deny what I also see - every single overweight person I know eats 2x as much food as the skinny ones.
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by steve0003
    IMHO portion control in our diets is a huge under-appreciated part of the story.

I am a firm believer that some people are destined to be thin genetically and others are not. But I can't deny what I also see - every single overweight person I know eats 2x as much food as the skinny ones.
    U make a good point. Personally I've never seen an overweight person eat less than a skinny person also. The rare occasions I eat fast food, I can go into a Mcdonald's and see a man that's obese eat way more than his son, who is not overweight.
  20. New Member

That's what I'm talking about.

We usually see overweight people eating more than a skinny person. If it registers in our minds at all, then we usually just explain it to ourselves by thinking, "Yeah, it makes sense they're gonna eat more than I would eat, look at the huge body they're maintaining."

But that's precisely the problem. They stay overweight because their intake has gradually adjusted upwards enough to maintain that huge body.
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

That's what I'm talking about.

We usually see overweight people eating more than a skinny person. If it registers in our minds at all, then we usually just explain it to ourselves by thinking, "Yeah, it makes sense they're gonna eat more than I would eat, look at the huge body they're maintaining."

But that's precisely the problem. They stay overweight because their intake has gradually adjusted upwards enough to maintain that huge body.
    Yep, its like they're eating with their eyes first, which is sad. What makes them want to eat that much I can't explain, maybe its psychological. Sadly, in America we have that "more is better" mentality, so ppl just eat more and more, and not for satiety.
  22. New Member

IMHO portion control in our diets is a huge under-appreciated part of the story. I am a firm believer that some people are destined to be thin genetically and others are not. But I can't deny what I also see - every single overweight person I know eats 2x as much food as the skinny ones.
    Hi Steve,

People eat more because they are hungry. If you are genetically predisposed for obesity, you will be more hungry and you will eat more than someone who is not.

And most obese people tend to put more weight on compared to a lean person for the same amount of food. Their metabolism is way slower than the lean.
  23. New Member

I agree that the playing field is not level in terms of maintaining a lean figure. Different people have different natural predispositions to be skinny or fat.

I think the portion control thing is a major part of what fuels the obesity predisposition. The body's natural signals to stop eating just don't work the same way in obese people.

I have noticed that overweight people also seem to get more lethargic after eating and want to eat more after exercising too. I can really notice the difference between them and my skinnier friends & family. IMHO the research is on target, overweight people do seem to react differently to caloric intake and exertion at the biological level.
  24. New Member

I am just amazed at how people can just think that obese people are obese because they just overeat and sit around. But all the lean people in the world are just consciously eating less and moving more!

Our weight has been moving up since the 1960's, but this took a steep turn in the 80 and 90's. Some say it could be the lack of activity, increase in food availability, decrease in smoking and so forth. But mind you we are talking about the mean increase in weight in the whole population. We have to look in which category the weight is going up. It would be as stupid as aying we are getting richer as a whole, when only the rich is getting richer.

The prevalence data is misleading if people aren't sure about how it works. A small increase in weight is enough to shift a lot of people into the obese category.
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

I am just amazed at how people can just think that obese people are obese because they just overeat and sit around. But all the lean people in the world are just consciously eating less and moving more!

Our weight has been moving up since the 1960's, but this took a steep turn in the 80 and 90's. Some say it could be the lack of activity, increase in food availability, decrease in smoking and so forth. But mind you we are talking about the mean increase in weight in the whole population. We have to look in which category the weight is going up. It would be as stupid as aying we are getting richer as a whole, when only the rich is getting richer.

The prevalence data is misleading if people aren't sure about how it works. A small increase in weight is enough to shift a lot of people into the obese category.
    Well like u said, we need to find out why the obese r getting more obese.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  217 lbs.

i dont buy into the "it's just my genetics" for obese people. wooptee frickin doo. ya know what, some people are genetically diabetic, and ya know what else, THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR ELSE THEY WILL DIE. same goes for people predisposed to being overweight, and by that i mean they might store fat easier and have a slower metabolism. they need to live with the hand they were dealt in life. eat properly, eat healthy, exercises, and keep calories in check.
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by laserbluess
    i dont buy into the "it's just my genetics" for obese people. wooptee frickin doo. ya know what, some people are genetically diabetic, and ya know what else, THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR ELSE THEY WILL DIE. same goes for people predisposed to being overweight, and by that i mean they might store fat easier and have a slower metabolism. they need to live with the hand they were dealt in life. eat properly, eat healthy, exercises, and keep calories in check.
    Real sh*t. When life gives u lemons, u say f*ck that and go buy oranges!
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  217 lbs.

and yes, i used to be overweight and out of shape. i got my dads metabolism (bigger guy), where as my brother got my moms metabolism (very thin, very low bodyfat). i didnt complain about it, i did something about it. and in the process found out i really enjoy exercise! hooray for finding a new hobby that's healthy (relatively).
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by laserbluess
    and yes, i used to be overweight and out of shape. i got my dads metabolism (bigger guy), where as my brother got my moms metabolism (very thin, very low bodyfat). i didnt complain about it, i did something about it. and in the process found out i really enjoy exercise! hooray for finding a new hobby that's healthy (relatively).
    I used to b overweight too, lost 52 pounds and got shredded. If ppl really want it bad enough, they'll put in the work they need to.
  30. New Member

"There is a genetic component to obesity" <--- this is one viewpoint.

"There is a genetic component to obesity, and therefore obese people cannot change their condition and have no responsibility to manage it" <---- this is a different viewpoint.
  31. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by steve0003 View Post

"There is a genetic component to obesity, and therefore obese people cannot change their condition and have no responsibility to manage it" <---- this is a different viewpoint.
    This is my contention with this thread. There's enough data collaborating the first viewpoint, and it is one that I think is true. And not only that, it is also true that much of our behavior is already predetermined by our genetics. But I think that can only be said within a frame that clarifies that it just means you have a proclivity towards doing A over X, and that while this is there at the end of the day you still have a choice. Without getting too metaphysical here, especially since this specific discussion is about only obesity and its cause(s), one was not always obese, and that person had a choice to change his lifestyle or continue his habits that led him to being obese. And presently, they have a choice to do something about their weight. They can drop weight; we've seen it happen.

When anoop is here proclaiming the second viewpoint, I have to call him out on it. Thanks for also clarifying the distinction between the evidence he provides (evidence suggesting a genetic component to obesity) and the claim he's making both in his article and on this forum (a genetic component to obesity, and therefore obese people cannot change their condition and have no responsibility to manage it).
  32. New Member

I guess you are just confusing the word "condition". When you mean condition do you mean cosmetic goals or health goals?

What is most important is you health. And it has been clear that even losing 10-15 lbs of weight can have tremendous health benefits. There is no scientific reason to go OCD to come down to a normal BMI or 'getting a six pack'. It is also clear that exercise and a healthy diet independent of weight loss have tremendous health benefits.

If your goal is cosmetic, you can go ahead and try for more. But at least you clearly know what you are up against.

The problem is that obese people think that if they don't get to normal BMI, they are not normal. Hence their weight loss goals are just too unrealistic. Largely because they are bombarded by the message that obesity is simply about eating less and working more and hence is clearly a personal failing.
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

I guess you are just confusing the word "condition". When you mean condition do you mean cosmetic goals or health goals?

What is most important is you health. And it has been clear that even losing 10-15 lbs of weight can have tremendous health benefits. There is no scientific reason to go OCD to come down to a normal BMI or 'getting a six pack'. It is also clear that exercise and a healthy diet independent of weight loss have tremendous health benefits.

If your goal is cosmetic, you can go ahead and try for more. But at least you clearly know what you are up against.

The problem is that obese people think that if they don't get to normal BMI, they are not normal. Hence their weight loss goals are just too unrealistic. Largely because they are bombarded by the message that obesity is simply about eating less and working more and hence is clearly a personal failing.
    Well I'm glad u clarified for me. Previously, I thought u were saying that because of the genetic component of obesity, ppl that r obese will b doomed because its just not possible for them to lose any weight and keep it off. I don't feel that they have to have 6 packs, but at least get to a healthy weight, and if they want to get ripped then its strictly their choice. My problem is that I know a lot of obese ppl and they're lazy, eat horribly, and do nothing about their weight, they should lose weight so they can b healthy, but I wouldn't want them thinking that just because they may b genetically predisposed for obesity, that its impossible for them to lose weight, so they make no effort to.
  34. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by anoopbal View Post

I can agree with this.
  35. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The initial article was interesting, but some of the grammatical errors didn't sit well with me. Perhaps that's nit-picky, but it just takes away from the professionalism for me.

That being said, to everyone who is saying that people just have to want it, I used to think like you. Are there a lot of people out there in which this is the case? Probably. But what I can say is that I've watch my body go from pretty shredded to a state that I'm embarrassed of. I can also say that I tapered calories down more and increased cardio (with a spotless diet, no sugars, limited/cycled carbs from whole grain sources, etc.) and couldn't lose any weight. I even did the hCG diet for a while; lost all the glycogen weight off the bat and then watched the scale steadily go up a pound a day for a while at 500 calories/day while not making changes to the diet (allotted amt. of chicken, broccoli and apples) and also working out at the same time, no less.

I want it as much or more than anyone else I know of, but I'm battling my body (whether you want to say genetics or something else internally that won't cooperate) to no avail.

I'm not saying what I've experienced over the last year and a half is common (who knows, maybe it's more common that I know), but I know what I've gone through and I know that my eating patterns will be spot on to what my friends do and I can watch them still lose fat.

Not everything is at it seems.

In for more discussion.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  36. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    The initial article was interesting, but some of the grammatical errors didn't sit well with me. Perhaps that's nit-picky, but it just takes away from the professionalism for me.

That being said, to everyone who is saying that people just have to want it, I used to think like you. Are there a lot of people out there in which this is the case? Probably. But what I can say is that I've watch my body go from pretty shredded to a state that I'm embarrassed of. I can also say that I tapered calories down more and increased cardio (with a spotless diet, no sugars, limited/cycled carbs from whole grain sources, etc.) and couldn't lose any weight. I even did the hCG diet for a while; lost all the glycogen weight off the bat and then watched the scale steadily go up a pound a day for a while at 500 calories/day while not making changes to the diet (allotted amt. of chicken, broccoli and apples) and also working out at the same time, no less.

I want it as much or more than anyone else I know of, but I'm battling my body (whether you want to say genetics or something else internally that won't cooperate) to no avail.

I'm not saying what I've experienced over the last year and a half is common (who knows, maybe it's more common that I know), but I know what I've gone through and I know that my eating patterns will be spot on to what my friends do and I can watch them still lose fat.

Not everything is at it seems.

In for more discussion.
    And that is what I am trying to say. There are people who could do it and don't struggle so much and there are people who it but are just struggling a lot. But for some reason people don't understand this and prefer to blame the obese who find it hard by using the example of a minority of obese who find it easy.

And I do understand if you are obese and don't try at all.

I have obese clients who I sometimes feel really sorry for. I know they are lying to to me just because they are humiliated to admit that they failed again because they were just "hungry". Everyone talks it is "both genetics and environment", but when it comes to the meat of the arguement it is always environment and a personal failing!
  37. New Member

And here we have another anecdote that muddies the waters. Your story isn't the first time I have heard something like this. I believe it is what a portion of the population experiences when they try to lose weight.

What's the reason? I don't know. Probably at least partially due to factors that we don't yet understand about the body. Genetics, epigenetics, effects of microorganisms in the GI system, etc.

IMHO there is something else at work beyond diet/exercise that is helping to keep Americans fat. I've traveled around some, and I've seen foreign populations that looked 2x as healthy as Americans without putting 2x as much effort into good living habits. My money is on the North American food supply somehow.

Right now Americans have the reputation around the world of being fat because we are just lazy overeating slobs. But I think future generations with more knowledge about the human body may look back on us more kindly. Quite a few of us are overeating slobs, but we seem to have also stumbled into some situation that is amplifying the effects of bad dieting/exercise habits alone. And IMHO conventional wisdom certainly underestimates how hard some people's bodies will fight against losing weight once it has been put on.
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

And here we have another anecdote that muddies the waters. Your story isn't the first time I have heard something like this. I believe it is what a portion of the population experiences when they try to lose weight.

What's the reason? I don't know. Probably at least partially due to factors that we don't yet understand about the body. Genetics, epigenetics, effects of microorganisms in the GI system, etc.

IMHO there is something else at work beyond diet/exercise that is helping to keep Americans fat. I've traveled around some, and I've seen foreign populations that looked 2x as healthy as Americans without putting 2x as much effort into good living habits. My money is on the North American food supply somehow.

Right now Americans have the reputation around the world of being fat because we are just lazy overeating slobs. But I think future generations with more knowledge about the human body may look back on us more kindly. Quite a few of us are overeating slobs, but we seem to have also stumbled into some situation that is amplifying the effects of bad dieting/exercise habits alone. And IMHO conventional wisdom certainly underestimates how hard some people's bodies will fight against losing weight once it has been put on.
    These r all great points bro. Its puzzling what other underlying factors there could b behind obesity, that contribute to it, but we just don't know yet. I think we all can agree though that America needs to make a conscious collaborative effort to help it's ppl become healthier. I also partially blame our food supply, but since we can't deal with that right now, we have to make personal efforts. Every little step ppl take to get healthier can help drastically.
  39. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by steve0003 View Post
    Yeah, absolutely. To further that last point, even though this is but a small detail in a much larger picture I bet, we know for instance how obesity and factors associated with obesity (their high sugar/high calorie diets up to that point, increased inflammatory factors released by hypertrophied/excess fatty cells) can destroy one's insulin sensitivity, leading to diabetes. And of course diabetics will have problems losing weight because nutrients have a hard time getting shuttled to muscle cells. So muscle is not as metabolically active as it can be, and more of these nutrients get shuttled to fat cells, so one continues to support their obesity by eating. (Of course then you must design an appropriate diet to attack this, for instance minimizing carbs in their diet).

As I said, this is one factor. It's possible entering the state of obesity or being in it for a prolonged period destroys various other mechanisms in the body that the body normally has to lose fat and/or maintain a healthier body composition.

Anyways, though, obese people don't just become obese from a lean state. They go through several progressions to get there. And much concern must also be directed to these people to prevent people from becoming obese. And this is where it is important to bring up diet and activity levels. Here there is much to be done, and to throw one's hands up and say "but genetics makes this person's metabolism slow, thus he will continue to accumulate fat and become obese and nothing can be done," is irresponsible and a joke.
  40. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    Yeah, absolutely. To further that last point, even though this is but a small detail in a much larger picture I bet, we know for instance how obesity and factors associated with obesity (their high sugar/high calorie diets up to that point, increased inflammatory factors released by hypertrophied/excess fatty cells) can destroy one's insulin sensitivity, leading to diabetes. And of course diabetics will have problems losing weight because nutrients have a hard time getting shuttled to muscle cells. So muscle is not as metabolically active as it can be, and more of these nutrients get shuttled to fat cells, so one continues to support their obesity by eating. (Of course then you must design an appropriate diet to attack this, for instance minimizing carbs in their diet).

As I said, this is one factor. It's possible entering the state of obesity or being in it for a prolonged period destroys various other mechanisms in the body that the body normally has to lose fat and/or maintain a healthier body composition.

Anyways, though, obese people don't just become obese from a lean state. They go through several progressions to get there. And much concern must also be directed to these people to prevent people from becoming obese. And this is where it is important to bring up diet and activity levels. Here there is much to be done, and to throw one's hands up and say "but genetics makes this person's metabolism slow, thus he will continue to accumulate fat and become obese and nothing can be done," is irresponsible and a joke.
    Well put bro. I totally agree, your metabolism can't doom u to b obese, no matter what effort u put forth to reverse being obese.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. America's Obesity Epidemic - Please Help
    By dotyfish in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM
  2. The obesity epidemic
    By machinehead in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 03:58 PM
  3. obesity vaccine?
    By ironwolf727 in forum Weight Loss