Questions About Eggs And Grains

1. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Questions About Eggs And Grains

I was browsing through my "readers" files and what do you know? I found some very good questions that I promised to answer many moons ago:

- "Regarding eggs, is the protein in the white different from that in the yolk?"

It's the same protein (albumin) but there's more in the white than in the yolk. In fact, the white part of the egg is almost all protein with a little potassium, magnesium and sodium thrown in. One whole egg contains the same amount of protein as one ounce of meat, fish, or chicken.

Of note, the protein in eggs is a "complete" protein. That means it contains all the amino acids the human body needs to manufacture other proteins. Egg protein is also one of the most easily digestible proteins in the food world.

- "What other nutrients are found in eggs?"

Aside from the bad crack eggs have received because of their cholesterol content (one egg yolk contains all the cholesterol most of us need in one day), eggs have several other redeeming values. The yolk contains linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid essential for brain development in growing babies. Egg yolks also contain vitamin B-12, calcium, iron and zinc. Lutein, the pigment that makes egg yolks yellow, is a potent antioxidant that helps protect the eyes and may help prevent eye diseases like macular degeneration. Whoever made these baby chick kits knew what he was doing.

- "What in eggs causes an allergic reaction?"

The protein. That is the definition of a true food allergy, by the way -- an adverse reaction to specific proteins in food. Egg protein allergy is common in young children before their digestive systems have matured.

- "How long can you safely store eggs?"

One month to two months (!) say experts, if they are properly refrigerated. The shell and the membrane just under the shell form a natural barrier to protect unbroken eggs from bacteria.

- "I eat whole grain breads 95 percent of the time, but I'm confused about what constitutes a 'whole grain.' Does cracked wheat count?"

Sure does. So do amaranth, buckwheat (Kasha), bulgur, millet, oat meal, oat bran, quinoa, wheat berries, wheat bran, and wild rice.

"Whole grain" refers to the entire part of a grain kernel, including the bran and the germ where fiber and other important nutrients are stored. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, a product can only be labeled "whole grain" if at least 51 percent of its ingredients are whole grain wheat, whole grain rye, whole grain corn... you get the picture.

Here's another interesting finding about grains: Nutrition scientists are studying sorghum, a nut-flavored grain used mostly in animal feeds, as an alternate grain for humans with celiac disease. Why? Sorghum is free of gluten, the protein in wheat, rye, and barley that aggravates this condition.

(Barbara Quinn is a registered dietitian at the Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, Calif. Readers may send her an e-mail at bquinn@chomp.org.)
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.33%

in regards to egg whites... what about the cartons of ready to eat egg whites.. egg beaters makes them I believe... same as the shelled? or less or better even?
  3. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

They are fine.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.85%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    - "Regarding eggs, is the protein in the white different from that in the yolk?" It's the same protein (albumin) but there's more in the white than in the yolk.
    I've always heard that there were the same amount. 3 grams protein in both yolk and white.
  5. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Then I guess you heard wrong. It also depends on the size to determine the actualy number. It seems to have more protein in the egg white but how much, who knows. Email that lady and see what she says....Although most people don't listen to registered dieticians that much, they do have to complete a very large amount of work both in class and real world experience to get that title as commpared to nutritrionist which has absolutely no meaning. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.04%

Another nutrient found in eggs : choline.
    Choline is an essential nutrient in many animals, including primates, and is probably essential in humans. Choline deficiency can cause fatty liver, abnormal kidney function, infertility, growth impairment, bone abnormalities, decreased hematopoiesis, and hypertension.

1 large egg contains 2000 mg of phosphatidylcholine, about half the Food and Nutrition Board's daily Adequate Intake.
    The standard supplement taken for choline is soy lecithin, which contains about 1700 mg phosphatidylcholine in a 7.5g serving.

Source: CRC Handbook of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods (2001)
  7. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.95%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    - "Regarding eggs, is the protein in the white different from that in the yolk?"

It's the same protein (albumin) but there's more in the white than in the yolk. In fact, the white part of the egg is almost all protein with a little potassium, magnesium and sodium thrown in. One whole egg contains the same amount of protein as one ounce of meat, fish, or chicken.

- "What other nutrients are found in eggs?"

Aside from the bad crack eggs have received because of their cholesterol content (one egg yolk contains all the cholesterol most of us need in one day),
    I was under the assumption that an egg white had maybe a little more protein than the yolk.
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl

ingested cholesterol is not directly correlated with actual blood cholesterol. Your liver will make cholesterol based upon hormonal responses that are caused by other types of food we eat. Insulin is the key player in cholesterol production
  8. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Yup.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Quick question about Iron and Eggs
    By Arek in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 03:17 PM
  2. Questions About Eggs And Grains
    By Dwight Schrute in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 08:44 PM
  3. question about recovery and hormones
    By dlduree in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3