Liquid diet?

BlackGT99

BlackGT99

Awards
Heard of a friend doing this diet and consuming only liquids and absolutely No Food. She got her nutrients solely from protein shakes... With extensive cardio she lost a lot of weight (of course) tell me why this is unhealthy or any other problems that you see with this?

mikestenger

mikestenger

Awards
I'm not an expert, but whenever I hear of a liquid diet, it's a bit worrying. For one, it's not necessary to lose weight. However, I guess if they were getting plenty of nutrients and weren't overdoing it at the gym, why not, although would figure out more details before doing the same. You want to be safe.

BlackGT99

BlackGT99

Awards
It doesn't seem safe at all to me... I'd never do it. But I figure it's gotta be pretty unhealthy and along with fat loss you'll probably be losing muscle as well

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
I know 3 people (2 women, 1 man) who have done something similar. They were not lifting weights but doing a bit of cardio and only drinking shakes that they bought from the company that promotes the diet. I don't know which company it was or whether the shakes were just protein shakes but I presume they were.

All 3 lost a lot of weight in the 3 months that they followed the diet. All 3 had to slowly start eating solids again and the first couple of times each of them ate a small amount of solids they were sick as the stomach wasn't used to taking in solids, which can't be healthy. Only 1 (the man) managed to keep the weight off and, within 6 months the 2 women had put all of the weight back on.

It may be something you can do for a short time but I wouldn't recommend it. It will be much healthier to reduce slowly calories and lose the weight over a longer period of time.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Guaranteed when they go back to regular eating they are going to gain all the weight back. Fad diets don't work because people approach them as diets, not as lifestyle changes like they should.

Rethink

Awards
This depends on what type of protein shakes she is consuming. There are nutritionally complete meal replacement shakes that are used as part of a VLCD plan and these are relatively safe to consume. People on an all shake VLCD consume less than 800 calories a day and provided they use a well structured resistance training program they don't lose a significant amount of lean mass.

On the otherhand if she was only consuming regular whey supplement shakes this would be unhealthy because they are not nutritionally complete.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
As someone mentioned they'll likely gain the weight right back when they change diets, the only real way to lose weight and keep it off is lifestyle change you can't just say i'll go on a diet for 3 months and lose 10 pounds just to look good for a day and gain it back. I mean you can but what good is that, most diets stall out and tend to even out to the results of normal eating come a year down the road. Im one for just eating healthy as a lifestyle change and udjusting calories in/calories out to lose/gain weight when you see fit.

Besides the obvious facts behind the liquid diet your going to be lacking in lots of nutritents first one that pops to mind might be fiber without proper supplementation and lots of other antioxidants and vitamins and minerals besides who wants to just drink liquids all day with no food.

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ever heard of the thermogenetic effect solid foods have? When the body digests solid foods(especially protein) it uses calories to digest the food. Now a liquid requires much less energy(aka calories) to digest plus if your looking to maintain muscle mass the body prefers whole foods

Mrpersinality

Mrpersinality

Awards
I heard that the proper way to chew food is until it's pretty much a liquid before swallowing anyway. Liquid diets are done and I've actually thought about it after seeing a guy on here post about how he does it and has for 8 years. Dude was shredded. It's just pricey if your gonna do it right with lots of meal replacement shakes. I would imagine the food cravings would be overwhelming to most.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if your looking to maintain muscle mass the body prefers whole foods
Is there science to prove this, or is this something tossed up by the bodybuilding community?

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
I've got a fad diet for you too! Eat only carrots and I GUARANTEE you'll lose weight. The problem here is that (1) they are approaching weight loss as a gimmick instead of trying to understand how their bodies actually work and (2) they are literally starving themselves, losing muscle mass and slowing their metabolisms in the process. It's no wonder they gained the weight back in six months with an approach like that. There is no magic to weight loss. Eat fewer calories than your body uses and you'll lose weight. It doesn't matter what foods you eat, though there are certainly some foods that'll go a lot further than others (eating three slices of pizza per day vs. eating huge heaping portions of cottage cheese, leafy greens, etc). The trick is to boost your metabolism through resistance training in the process, thus making your body work with you instead of against you. Check out my blog at www.rawfitnessblog.com for more of my thoughts on the topic.

bill1102inf

Awards
Nothing wrong with it at all. There are plenty of studies of really fat people eating NOTHING except a multivit for 6 months or more and they were in MUCH better health AFTER than before.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This depends on what type of protein shakes she is consuming. There are nutritionally complete meal replacement shakes that are used as part of a VLCD plan and these are relatively safe to consume. People on an all shake VLCD consume less than 800 calories a day and provided they use a well structured resistance training program they don't lose a significant amount of lean mass.

On the otherhand if she was only consuming regular whey supplement shakes this would be unhealthy because they are not nutritionally complete.
You are referring to a PSMF diet?

thestein1016

thestein1016

Awards
  • Established
A lot of "cover" models do the liquid diet to stay shredded year round (give or take a month)
I know of one who takes a multi in the morning with some cereal (fiber) and sips on shakes (around 12-15 scoops) throughout the day along with fish oils. He then has a large dinner at night.
This isnt something you just do for a month or two, its a complete lifestyle change. The guy is scared shtless now of carbs, LOL

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Nothing wrong with it at all. There are plenty of studies of really fat people eating NOTHING except a multivit for 6 months or more and they were in MUCH better health AFTER than before.
Just a multi what?

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
Working at a vitamin retailer I see lots of customers who swear by the temporary liquid diets, they add a fiber and greens product in and they say it's good to go. Or if you have the money "the ultimate meal" once or twice a day would be great.

Also I remember the actors from 300 or some gladiator show/movie only consumed myoplex MRP for over a month an they got great results

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Whats with women and these liquid diets? Or just people in general.

I, personally, never would. My fear when people do this is 1) complete lack of proper nutritional balance and 2) falling off diet due to lack of substance of your replacement meals and the prior reason listed.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Working at a vitamin retailer I see lots of customers who swear by the temporary liquid diets, they add a fiber and greens product in and they say it's good to go. Or if you have the money "the ultimate meal" once or twice a day would be great.

Also I remember the actors from 300 or some gladiator show/movie only consumed myoplex MRP for over a month an they got great results
The ultimate meal?

Just seems like I would want food liquids would suck, I don't want to feel like I'm a sick 80 yr old.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Theres a woman I work with who did a liquid diet as perscribed by her doctor. She wanted to shed off some wet weight hanging around from pregnancy. She was rather slim to begin with - all she needed to do was clean up her diet.
She couldn't wait to finish it so she could enjoy holiday festivities. I told her she was gonna get sick and blow up like a pufferfish from the shock of eating solid food and most of it junk.

Whats "The Ultimate Meal?"

owlicks

owlicks

Awards

Sounds like an excuse to avoid learning how to eat properly to me.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
The ultimate meal is about $50 and last a month or 2?
It's a meal replacement shake?
Just add fruits with it?
What's the deal behind this now?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
These are the types of diets meant for the severely obese to help them lose weight quick for health complications, which have been adapted by people for everyday use. Theres really no logic behind besides you'll lose weight quick INITIALLY, instead of buying into to this fad diet if people just took the time to progessively eat cleaner make better choices and gain a better understanding for how much food there body needs and when, that is when the real sucess happens. Lifestyle change is the only way in my own opinion to lose weight and KEEP it off, with this once they incoroporate real food again they'll likely overeat and gain the weight back.

Mrpersinality

Mrpersinality

Awards
I totally forgot (dunno how) when I was 17 I had my jaw wired shut after reconstructed jaw surgery and had a liquid diet for over a month. Anything I ate had to be put in a plastic syringe, even my medications and pain killers were liquid. I didn't really loose that much weight really. Drank allot of Ensure and liquid vicoden lol

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
I totally forgot (dunno how) when I was 17 I had my jaw wired shut after reconstructed jaw surgery and had a liquid diet for over a month. Anything I ate had to be put in a plastic syringe, even my medications and pain killers were liquid. I didn't really loose that much weight really. Drank allot of Ensure and liquid vicoden lol
I had a Boost for breakfast, an Ensure for dizz-ert, somebody ordered pancakes, I just sipped the sizz-ryp

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
When I see diets like this I just think that people jump on em solely concerned about the scale rather than body composition. So they drop X amount of weight to reach their target but now lean muscle to BF ratio is awful because they just let their body waste trying to reach a certain weight. So when they finish as say "Horay! Im done!" they go back to the same lifestyle they had before and now gain X+5 pounds back but now in the form of all wet weight and the vicious cycle continues. A successful diet is one which you can adopt into your lifestyle, not a temporary fix.

I'm just speaking generally and giving my opinion.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not all "crash dieting" is bad IMO. There is a right way to go about doing it and it cam be very successful with regards to quick fat loss.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
That had to suck...

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I had a Boost for breakfast, an Ensure for dizz-ert, somebody ordered pancakes, I just sipped the sizz-ryp
Who sings this?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

montesj88

Awards
"The phrases food faddism and fad diet- originally referred to idiosyncratic diets and eating patterns that promote short-term weight loss, usually with no concern for long-term weight maintenance, and enjoy temporary popularity"

jared767

Awards
I agree. I've seen people who actually tried that. But it was like a passing thing. Nobody among those who tried that shake was able to sustain it. At some point, they gave up on it.

Power Chews

Awards
Sounds like an excuse to avoid learning how to eat properly to me.
Argeed, your going to have to eat solids eventually. Learn how to eat properly and use a liquid diet as a cleanse only!

jared767

Awards
Believe everything she said because it's true. Start by understanding why you keep gaining weight and look for solutions base on that.