Splenda is EVERYWHERE
- 08-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Splenda is EVERYWHERE
Don't know if you guys have noticed, but A LOT of companies are using Splenda in their products. My parents just bought "1/2 the carbs Orange Juice with Splenda"...I know a friend who uses like 7-8 packages of it everyday. I've always tried to stay away or use as little as possible just because I don't always trust product claims, and was skeptical about something that tastes so damn good. What is your opinion on this stuff?
- 08-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Dreyes ice cream has it also. It's Freakin' good. Not that I've tried the Rocky Road or anything. All The Whey uses it in their powder as well.
- 08-31-2004, 03:51 PM
- 6'1" 221 lbs.
- Join Date
- Nov 2002
- Rep Power
Some overuse it though. The Atkins cereals have a nasty aftertaste to me because they dumped so much in.For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
08-31-2004, 04:02 PM
Personally I think the verdict is still out on this stuff. Splenda also known as Sucralose is created by chlorinating sugar (sucrose). And from what I understand, there has been NO long term studies on Sucralose's effect on the human body.Originally Posted by DieTrying
A few months ago, I did a Google search on Splenda, and there were quite a few webpages warning about Sucralose. In moderation....it may not be bad, but I wouldn't use Splenda very much. Instead I would use Stevia.
09-01-2004, 02:49 AM
Hi,Originally Posted by BigTEX
Splenda is FDA approved, and approved through all the industrial countries. It takes years to get FDA approved.
Some people have made incorrect conclusions about sucrolose, so I included some info. below. This info. includes input from the Center for Science in the Public Interest.
We chose not to use Stevia, because the FDA, Canada and the European community have rejected it...:
From: Merkel, Carolyn [MCNUS] [CMerkel@mspus.jnj.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 11:49 AM
Cc: Moses, Jennifer [MCNUS]
Subject: Requested information
Thank you for your interest in SPLENDA brand sucralose.
The link to the Center for Science in the Public Interest Website is www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm. If you also visit the home page of the CSPI, you will get a feel for the level of consumer advocacy that this group promotes.
To confirm the other two points of which we spoke:
1. Sucralose is not an organochlorine molecule similar to pesticides. It is a chlorinated carbohydrate. Unlike organochlorine compounds, sucralose is completely water soluble and not fat soluble. Thus, sucralose does not build up in the body tissues and is excreted rapidly from the body.
2. The chlorine on sucralose is very tightly bound in a carbon-chlorine covalent bond. Under the extremely rare circumstance that the chlorine can come off (which does not occur in normal food processing, distribution and storage conditions), it does in fact come off as a chloride (Cl-), similar to table salt (sodium chloride). None-the-less, this is an occurrence that is extremely unlikely and has been thoroughly studied.
I am also attaching the link to the FDA website in which the approval of sucralose is listed. This link contains the document published by the FDA, describing their analysis of the safety and efficacy of the product. www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/fr980403.html
I hope that this information is of use to you. Again, thank you for your interest in SPLENDA brand sucralose.
Carolyn M. Merkel, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Strategic Ingredient Technology
317 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08903
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission (inlcuding any attachments) may contain confidential or legally privileged information that is intended only for the individual or entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender, or telephone sended at 732-524-6693 so that McNeil Nutritionals can arrange for proper delivery, and then please delete the message from your system. Any use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful. Thank you.
Similar Forum Threads
- By DerickVonD in forum Nutrition / HealthReplies: 10Last Post: 01-14-2011, 06:19 PM
- By TNASTYII in forum Nutrition / HealthReplies: 17Last Post: 10-15-2008, 08:00 PM
- By u571 in forum AnabolicsReplies: 11Last Post: 04-21-2008, 12:18 AM
- By UNDERTAKER in forum SupplementsReplies: 16Last Post: 05-12-2005, 08:23 AM
- By Lifeguard in forum SupplementsReplies: 43Last Post: 10-28-2002, 09:35 PM